Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Apr 26th, 2018, 11:07am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Request to establish a board for the Rutland RR
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   General Fallen Flags Discussion
(Moderator: Henry)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Request to establish a board for the Rutland RR  (Read 139 times)
SouthBendModel34
Chaser
View Profile  

« on: Mar 23rd, 2015, 6:56pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

In response to an inquiry from me, site administrator Henry informs that a "Fallen Flag" board can be established for the Rutland only if enough members express interest.

I'm humbly asking everyone with an interest in the Rutland to respond to this thread with an expression of interest.

The Rutland had many interesting aspects including multiple interchanges and even a rail-marine aspect in Ogdensburg, NY.

There's the "corkscrew" line to Troy NY, and the famous "Rutland Milk" [train] that ran down the New York Central to NYC each day.  

There must be quite a few parties interested in the Rutland. Now is the time to speak up and let your vote be heard. It will only take a moment to respond to this thread.

Also note that this is "cumulative" - if you happen upon this thread a few years down the road, adding your voice still makes sense because the moderator is apparently interested in the total number of interested members. So, if the threshold is not reached this year, perhaps next year.....

Thank you - John Ruth

Charlie Ricker
Historian
Re: Request to establish a board for the Rutland RR

« Reply #1 on: Mar 23rd, 2015, 9:51pm »

Hi John,

I would like to see a board dedicated to the Rutland......I have always thought it to be a very interesting railroad with an interesting history and you can NOT beat the scenery.

Charlie

~Charlie Ricker

thebigham
Historian

« Reply #2 on: Oct 4th, 2015, 9:34pm »

Yes!

But, this forum is dying a slow death. Is it worth it to start it?

HwyHaulier
Historian

« Reply #3 on: Oct 5th, 2015, 9:04am »

on Oct 4th, 2015, 9:34pm, thebigham wrote:       (Click here for original message)
...But, this forum is dying a slow death. Is it worth it to start it?

thebigham - Lodge Members -

Not clear why the larger proposition phrased just this way? Not all are charmed with notion of migrating to more au courant,  
so called social networking sites. Getting involved with these newer entrants brings with it just more demands for user time  
on individual computers. It is a 'trade offs' discussion? Whether visiting added sites worth the time?

..............................Vern............................

Ticket Agent serving...Pacific Stage Lines...Washington State System...Mt. Hood Stages...Pickwick Stages...Transcontinental & Western Air Lines.... Admitted Gold Bug..... Observant Orthodox Mossback..... H.M.R.A.O. Curmudgeons......
Flemington Flyer
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #4 on: Oct 5th, 2015, 2:27pm »

on Oct 4th, 2015, 9:34pm, thebigham wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Yes!

But, this forum is dying a slow death. Is it worth it to start it?

Unfortunately, I do agree (to a point) with Mr. Big Ham........(about the forums in general, not the Rutland forum suggestion in particular)

There is a TON of interesting info locked away in these forums, but also a lot of junk. As a member and a Moderator for over 10 years, I've seen participation (in particular the Fallen Flags section) go steadily down hill. It's actually a little sad, seeing as that it's still a better overall forum than Railroad.net (a site that never recovered even after two ownership changes), and for a forum which I used to vist and post on almost a daily basis.  
It's not any fault of the forum design per se'....Things like Yahoo Groups (now very un-user friendly) and Facebook have made socializing and sharing (pictures in particular) even easier. There are other forum threads that do seem to have a lot of activity (or so it seems by looking at post counts), but they only loosely seem to have anything to do with focused railroad topics on a particular subject, at first glance that is. I for one am of the mindset that if it doesn't pertain to you (or Heaven forbid, OFFEND you), then DON'T click on it! So, I don't.......

What I think IS the problem though in the forums I DO frequent, is that certain people/personalitiy "elements" have driven others away.  
As "Exhibit A", I offer up the once vibrant CNJ forum in particular that has seen long-time posters driven off by those who either are complete @$$hats, and/or don't seem have a clue about the given subject or how to even post correctly (sorry if that sounds crass, but that's the truth).  
This has angered the long time "members" into leaving wholesale for somewhere else, because they feel the "atmosphere" has been dumbed down. And I'm sorry to say, but it has in this particular example. ANYONE can post link after link to somwhere else on the WWW, but those who take the time to post photos or write down insights or historical info are actually contibuting to the subject at hand, IMNSHO.  
It could be said that is of course, an opinion. And of course, (lack of) tollerance seems to be the catch-all defence used in these cases, but the fact is, there's a difference between people who are new and learning there way around a subject, and then there's just plain posting for posting's sake. It should be about quality, NOT quantity.
Same thing goes for having way too many Moderator "cooks" in the kitchen who don't actively contribute, but that's another personal opinion and story all together.

Of course, none of that has ANYTHING to do with weather or not RF.net should have a Rutland board. I say sure, why not, I'd like to learn a thing ot two about the Rutland. I give the idea two thumbs up for what it's worth. I'm personally intrigued by this "corkscrew" line SouthBend speaks of.....

Now please excuse me as I get out my bucket truck to help me off this soapbox............

« Last Edit: Oct 5th, 2015, 3:29pm by Flemington Flyer » Logged

One down, one to go.......
SouthBendModel34
Chaser
View Profile  

« Reply #5 on: Oct 5th, 2015, 2:51pm »

Please help me out, here! I'm trying to convince the _site administrator_ to look favorable upon my petition to start a Rutland board under "Fallen Flags".  

The Rutland has some fairly interesting aspects:

1) Involvement of Doctor Webb, who was an interesting character in his own right.

2) A floating bridge.

3) Surviving trackage and buildings. Even some rolling stock survives.

4) Historical impact of the federal law that prohibited RR companies from owning maritime shipping lines. This was what started the Rutland on a slow death spiral.

What I (we, for those who agree that the Rutland deserves its own board) need is "Votes in Favor of Establishing a Rutland Board."

If you can add to my short lists of why the Rutland is interesting, that could only help.

John R.

George_Harris
Historian

« Reply #6 on: Oct 6th, 2015, 1:48pm »

on Oct 5th, 2015, 2:51pm, SouthBendModel34 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

The Rutland has some fairly interesting aspects:

! ! ! ! ! ! !  

2) A floating bridge.

! ! ! ! ! !

Wow! tell me more.

Currently Sound Transit in Seattle is in the process of having a design developed for track for light rail trains across the (second) Lake Washington floating bridge. Being somewhat involved in this I would love to find out anything I could about ANY railroad floating bridge anywhere. Approaches to ferrys I know about, but these are all very low speed facilities.

« Last Edit: Oct 6th, 2015, 1:49pm by George_Harris » Logged
HwyHaulier
Historian

« Reply #7 on: Oct 8th, 2015, 10:02am »

on Oct 5th, 2015, 2:27pm, Link OW wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Unfortunately, I do agree (to a point) with Mr. Big Ham........(about the forums in general, not the Rutland forum suggestion in particular)

HFM (Artist formerly known as Link OW) - Lodge Members -

Noted your excellent observations about overall Forum issues. May your writer suggest your commentary ought to run, too, in a more global  
Forum Advisory category? Your thinking in a Topic of General Maxims and Protocols which agreeable to much of the readership users? It  
would help in advocacy of running intelligent conversations here...

It a much different environment than that of 'social networking' sites! By now, many readers are way beyond the world of adolescents and the  
endless cell phone texting. Better RAILFAN not drop to the level of endless 'tweets' and 'twitters'? and mindless hot links. Kids are out of the  
house here, and this writer hardly welcomes redux...

.................................Vern............................

Ticket Agent serving...Pacific Stage Lines...Washington State System...Mt. Hood Stages...Pickwick Stages...Transcontinental & Western Air Lines.... Admitted Gold Bug..... Observant Orthodox Mossback..... H.M.R.A.O. Curmudgeons......
NEFAN
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #8 on: Oct 8th, 2015, 7:49pm »

I vote for a Rutland RR board just to name a few reason:

Museum quality motive power and rolling stock that rivals the NYO&W.
Milk trains
Beautiful Mountain type steam engines in green & yellow short lived
Granite and marble traffic
Line north of Burlington Vt. through the Hero Islands WOW
Milk trains
Snappy green and yellow 40ft box cars
Lake Champlain trestle shared with the CV
That crazy floating bridge  
Green Mountain Gateway
Did I mention Milk trains?
Organized labor shutdowns & strikes that finally shut it down for good
New diesels RS1, RS3, GE70 tonner
One of the first Railroads to be purchased by state for continued operations

darktown2
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #9 on: Nov 4th, 2015, 4:50pm »

I like the idea of a Rutland board. The railroad has always caught my eye. Sorry to say I know little about it. Peaked my interest a few weeks back on a speeder run in the Adirondacks. Malone, NY Rutland crossing.  Thumbs up.  Keith

gfluck1
Historian

« Reply #10 on: Nov 8th, 2015, 5:43pm »

I'm up for a little adventure.

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »