Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Apr 26th, 2018, 11:17am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Wooden trestle near Lost Creek, WV
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   General Fallen Flags Discussion
(Moderator: Henry)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Wooden trestle near Lost Creek, WV  (Read 162 times)
RailCop
Historian

« on: Aug 10th, 2013, 11:25pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

On a recent trip down I-79 I noticed a beautiful old wooden trestle located near Lost Creek, WV. It was about 200 yards east of the highway and was barely visible through the trees. It is visible on Google Earth but it appears there is no active right of way. It's rather hilly in this area and the track may enter tunnels at either end of the trestle. GE does not show and rail line there. My question is does anyone know what railroad this is/was? And is it still active today?

« Last Edit: Aug 11th, 2013, 10:51pm by RailCop » Logged

Let's 'B-Safe' out there,
Kevin
wm1111
Chaser
View Profile  

Re: Wooden trestle near Lost Creek, WV

« Reply #1 on: Aug 11th, 2013, 10:26pm »

Not a hundred percent sure, but my 1946 railroad atlas shows a B&O branch line in that area that ran from Clarksburg to Bendale.  At one time the branch continued on to Orlando Junction but that segment appeared to have been abandoned by 1946.

Hope that this helps.

wm1111

RailCop
Historian

« Reply #2 on: Aug 11th, 2013, 10:46pm »

Thank you for the info. I am researching this on Google Earth and that appears about right. Grafton, WV, a B&O facility, is not that far away. I would love to stomp around in the area of that old trestle someday. Bet there's lots of neat stuff to see.

Thanks again,

Kevin

« Last Edit: Aug 11th, 2013, 10:50pm by RailCop » Logged

Let's 'B-Safe' out there,
Kevin
HwyHaulier
Historian

« Reply #3 on: Aug 12th, 2013, 12:14pm »

wm1111 - Kevin - All  -  

You noted, "...Clarksburg to Bendale..."...

TRUE. The B & O System Folders report service on the branch, seems to me. In fact, there is a truly classic, and marvelous  
Photo which shows a train under steam, pulling a short train, and described as a "Mixed" (at least in post WWII publications).  
Likely the passenger tickets had to be offered for compliance with local PSC?

.............................Vern.....................

Ticket Agent serving...Pacific Stage Lines...Washington State System...Mt. Hood Stages...Pickwick Stages...Transcontinental & Western Air Lines.... Admitted Gold Bug..... Observant Orthodox Mossback..... H.M.R.A.O. Curmudgeons......
wm1111
Chaser
View Profile  

« Reply #4 on: Aug 12th, 2013, 8:56pm »

Vern;

The "mixed" consist seemed to be SOP in that part of the world.  In addition to the B&O, most of the post-war passenger traffic on the Western Maryland out of Elkins was mixed.  The exception being a couple of dailies between Elkins and Cumberland.  Actually, the mixed service continued for a time after dedicated passenger service on the WM ended.

Given the size of ridership, probably the only way to provide service, cover costs, and keep the PSC at bay back then.

wm

HwyHaulier
Historian

« Reply #5 on: Aug 13th, 2013, 7:41am »

wm - All -  

With "Mixed Train" schedules (of sorts?). Seems to me, part of the longevity of the "Mixed" runs account it was helpful to  
re-position the line's own operating employees.

A truly notable example in the W P Daily, Local Oakland - Salt Lake City. Reports note it didn't get all that much ridership  
(in part account frequent GREYHOUND runs on nearby USH-40 (now IH-80). The train did have its company employees on  
board, traveling to and from work domiciles...

..........................Vern......................

Ticket Agent serving...Pacific Stage Lines...Washington State System...Mt. Hood Stages...Pickwick Stages...Transcontinental & Western Air Lines.... Admitted Gold Bug..... Observant Orthodox Mossback..... H.M.R.A.O. Curmudgeons......
JayPotter
TRAINing

« Reply #6 on: Oct 7th, 2013, 6:29am »

The right of way through Lost Creek was CSXT's W.Va. & P. Subdivision. The tracks across the trestle were removed by a rail train during January 1998.

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »