Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Apr 26th, 2018, 11:08am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

need help identifying a bridge
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   General Fallen Flags Discussion
(Moderator: Henry)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: need help identifying a bridge  (Read 193 times)
Maurice
Chaser
  Nant-WestNant-brdg.jpg - 105518 Bytes
« on: Jul 8th, 2013, 8:48am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

A friend found this photo of a swing bridge labeled "Nanticoke/West Nanticoke". Those towns are in Luzerne County, Pennsylvania. the two towns are seperated by the Susquehanna River. The D.L.&W./EL/CR ran through West Nanticoke and the P.R.R./CR went through Nanticoke. There is a railroad bridge over the river at this point but this definitely is not it. I cannot think of any place in those two towns it could have been. Nor can I think of anywhere in the area that had sufficient boat traffic to justify the expense of this bridge. Does anyone recognize it?

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (105518 bytes, 1024x768 pixels)

Click Here to View Image Nant-WestNant-brdg.jpg - 105518 Bytes

firstbelt
Historian
Re: need help identifying a bridge

« Reply #1 on: Jul 16th, 2013, 5:39pm »

I don't know if you've been along the Susquehanna River in PA, but it's a lot bigger than what this bridge would span for most of it's length.  I did a Google search for bridges at Nanticoke, found a couple web sites:

http://www.bridgemapper.com/bridge_detail.php?ID=3083
Shows West Nanticoke Bridge: a highway thru truss bridge, not a railroad bridge.
The web page references another site that I checked out:

http://bridgehunter.com/scripts/search.cgi
search on moveable, owned by railroad; no results like "Nanticoke"

I also searched on keyword Susquehanna, came up with:
http://bridgehunter.com/pa/perry/marysville/
Marysville bridge, Northern Central Rwy, removed 1902 or 1903.  Statue of Liberty replica (!)

FYI, the Railfan.net forum has an infrastructure section, which might have attracted attention from railfans with an interest in bridges.

The internet is a funny thing - not everything can be found, not all information is accurate or up-to-date.  Good luck.

CHESSIEMIKE
Historian
View Profile  

Swing_Bridge_at_Seaford_DE_small.jpg - 69245 Bytes
« Reply #2 on: Jul 22nd, 2013, 6:31am »

on Jul 8th, 2013, 8:48am, Maurice wrote:       (Click here for original message)
A friend found this photo of a swing bridge labeled "Nanticoke/West Nanticoke".... Does anyone recognize it?

Looks like the ex-PRR bridge over the headwaters of the Nanticoke River in Seaford, DE to me. Here is a shot taken 6/26/13.
CHESSIEMIKE

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/ffgeneral/Swing_Bridge_at_Seaford_DE_small.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Jul 22nd, 2013, 6:41am by CHESSIEMIKE » Logged

Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
firstbelt
Historian

« Reply #3 on: Jul 22nd, 2013, 9:28pm »

on Jul 22nd, 2013, 6:31am, CHESSIEMIKE wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Looks like the ex-PRR bridge over the headwaters of the Nanticoke River in Seaford, DE to me. Here is a shot taken 6/26/13.
CHESSIEMIKE

Breathtaking photo!
Is the bridge or rail line still in use?

Charlie Ricker
Historian

« Reply #4 on: Jul 25th, 2013, 2:39pm »

on Jul 22nd, 2013, 9:28pm, firstbelt wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Breathtaking photo!
Is the bridge or rail line still in use?

I agree that's a killer photo right there! Also, I would agree that's the very same bridge as in the original post.

Charlie

~Charlie Ricker

ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #5 on: Jul 25th, 2013, 10:20pm »

Definitely the same bridge.

There are, or have been, a LOT of moveable bridges required over (allegedly) navigable waters that hardly ever saw any water traffic. Corps of Engineers said it had to be.

The old MoPac bridge across the Trinity at Riverside is an example - it was a center-pivot swing bridge, because when built it was "intended" to have the Trinity be a navigable river all the way up to Dallas. I think it was opened once or twice, to prove it would, and never again. it has been locked and no longer can open even theoretically.

While not a rail bridge, the Jefferson Viaduct (think opening scene in TV show Dallas)is a navigation height bridge - because it was STILL intended to have boats come up when it was built. Scheme finally abandoned in the 80s or 90s, I think.

CHESSIEMIKE
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #6 on: Jul 27th, 2013, 11:21am »

Thanks for the props on the photo, I get lucky now and again. As far as operations, I guess the best answer would be sort of, for now. This is the ex Pennsy, now NS line down the eastern shore. NS runs south of here down to Pocomoke City, MD to interchange with the Bay Coast Railroad. BCRR runs the car float out of Cape Charles, VA to Little Creek, VA. I don't think operations are at the level they were when it was Conrail down to Pocomoke City, MD.
CHESSIEMIKE

Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
Charlie Ricker
Historian

« Reply #7 on: Aug 1st, 2013, 8:13pm »

So this line is the "Delmarva Secondary", correct?

Thanks,
Charlie

~Charlie Ricker

CHESSIEMIKE
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #8 on: Aug 1st, 2013, 8:51pm »

Correct you are sir.
CHESSIEMIKE

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »