Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Apr 26th, 2018, 11:24am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Modelling the Laurel Line (diesel era)
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   General Fallen Flags Discussion
(Moderator: Henry)
   Modelling the Laurel Line (diesel era)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Modelling the Laurel Line (diesel era)  (Read 2710 times)
Frank_D
Historian
Re: Modelling the Laurel Line (diesel era)

« Reply #100 on: Nov 6th, 2009, 6:53pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

That looks pretty good. I wonder what color they were? I don't know if I ever saw color photos of any of the stations.

Ashley_John
Historian

« Reply #101 on: Nov 6th, 2009, 9:26pm »

I'm wondering if the video "Ed Miller's Anthracite Traction" would help with your project.

By the way, speaking of Ed, he will not be able to attend tomorrow's Sentimental Journey Slide Show. Ed took a fall and broke his hip. He is currently in a nursing home undergoing rehabilitation and therapy.

JP

Riding the rails of the past via media and exploration.
Ashley_John
Historian

« Reply #102 on: Nov 6th, 2009, 11:26pm »

on Nov 6th, 2009, 10:32pm, MrScott1964 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I watch the video a few times. It doesn't spent much time on the Laurel Line. Or at least not enough that I would like to see.

Ed has quite a bit more footage of the Laurel line which wasn't used in that production. There is at least 7 or more reels of L&WV film in his collection. Probably 1.5 to 2.5 hours worth of footage, possibly more.

Much of that footage DOES show a lot of the infrastructure (bridges, stations-from several angles, etc.). Probably not interesting enough for the original producer to be used in the production.

Ed's entire movie film collection is currently being digitally scanned, restored, preserved and stored for possible future use. The endeavor will take some time to complete given the size of Ed's collection. I don't know how or if it will be available for use by the general public as the collection is eventually promised to several museums. I would guess each organization will dictate the use of the portion of the collection they receive.  

JP

MrScott1964
Former Member

« Reply #103 on: Nov 7th, 2009, 12:06am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

I would love to see that.

Frank_D
Historian

« Reply #104 on: Nov 7th, 2009, 8:43am »

Sorry to hear about Ed, hope he has a quick recovery.

Yesterday we hiked down the Laurel Line to Montage Mountain Road. I'll have to resize some of the photos. The most interesting things we saw were along the Erie, so the photos will end up on that thread.

Frank_D
Historian

« Reply #105 on: Nov 7th, 2009, 8:18pm »

I forgot about this book. Pennsylvania Trolleys In Color, Volume 1, The Anthracite and Pennsylvania Dutch Regions, By William D. Volkmer. There's about 25 pages of the Laurel Line in color, including stations at South Scranton, South Pittston, Inkerman, etc.

MrScott1964
Former Member

« Reply #106 on: Nov 7th, 2009, 9:43pm »

The slideshow today answered some questions. Now all I have to do is try to remember what I saw! I found out that the LL served another lumber mill around Helen Street in Plains. I also found that some of the shelters where green.

cavity
Historian

« Reply #107 on: Nov 22nd, 2009, 10:56am »

I assume you have been to Pennpilots photo site, if not please check it out, should help with you modelling efforts.

Todd

MrScott1964
Former Member

« Reply #108 on: Nov 22nd, 2009, 11:41am »

on Nov 22nd, 2009, 10:56am, cavity wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I assume you have been to Pennpilots photo site, if not please check it out, should help with you modelling efforts.

Todd

Oh yes...I have those gems. I just wish they where a little bit more detailed though. It's hard to make out what I'm looking at just from the tops of the buildings.

I just completed a new Scranton station. This station is passenger interactive. I also added the restraunt on the first floor. Does anybody know of any names that restraunt was called? I see in the pictures that there is a sign hanging on the corner of the building with a possable name, but can't make out what the sign says.

Maurice
Chaser

« Reply #109 on: Jan 6th, 2010, 11:41am »

Not sure if you saw this map. It is from the book "Viewing Pennsylvania Trolleys" by Kenneth C. Springirth. It is the only one I have seen to show sidings, though they aren't identified.  

MrScott1964
Former Member

« Reply #110 on: Jan 6th, 2010, 3:25pm »

Interesting map. This is a good starting point when researching these sidings. I can identify about 2 of them.

montclaire
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #111 on: Jun 28th, 2010, 11:09am »

MrScott, I cannot get any of the photos you have posted to load and your website is a dead link.  I would very much like to see what you have been able to accomplish, if you have a new web address please post it.  Thanks

MrScott1964
Former Member

« Reply #112 on: Jun 28th, 2010, 12:21pm »

I had been taking a breaking with this project, then Ed Miller passed away. I figured that ended my chances of getting any real detailed information about the Laurel Line. Too much time has passed since the Laurel Line was in business...It's getting to hard to find any detailed information about it. I'm afraid that some of info is gone forever with Mr. Miller's passing.

I started a new project called Wyoming Valley Rails, but it's too early into the project for pics and a web page.

montclaire
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #113 on: Jun 28th, 2010, 12:34pm »

Well there are a couple ways to look at it.  If the information you are looking for went to the grave with Ed, then who is to say you are wrong?  In the end it's just a model and you can build it however you choose.  

I think that especially with HO scale you can fudge quite a bit of it and at the very least create a very close approximation of what would have been.

I'd still be very interested to see whatever you did get finished before giving up on the project.

« Last Edit: Jun 28th, 2010, 12:35pm by montclaire » Logged
Ashley_John
Historian

« Reply #114 on: Jun 28th, 2010, 5:14pm »

You could always pick up a copy of "Ed Miller's A Ride on the Laurel Line" from the L&WV Chapter. It is a DVD slideshow of more than 160 images Ed took along the route including the Minooka Branch narrated by George Gula of the PA Trolley Museum. It is quite detailed with information and photos which would definately help with modeling.

JP

MrScott1964
Former Member

« Reply #115 on: Jun 29th, 2010, 6:47pm »

on Jun 28th, 2010, 5:14pm, Ashley_John wrote:       (Click here for original message)
You could always pick up a copy of "Ed Miller's A Ride on the Laurel Line" from the L&WV Chapter. It is a DVD slideshow of more than 160 images Ed took along the route including the Minooka Branch narrated by George Gula of the PA Trolley Museum. It is quite detailed with information and photos which would definately help with modeling.

JP

Is there anymore information about this DVD? I googled:"Ed Miller's A Ride on the Laurel Line", and your post is the only link that showed up.

Ashley_John
Historian

« Reply #116 on: Jun 30th, 2010, 10:50am »

on Jun 29th, 2010, 6:47pm, MrScott1964 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Is there anymore information about this DVD? I googled:"Ed Miller's A Ride on the Laurel Line", and your post is the only link that showed up.

Sorry about that. I guess they haven't had the chance to post it to their website yet with the convention being last week.

Below is the DVD summary from the back cover:

Take a ride on the Laurel Line through the images of Edward S. Miller and other contributors.

Our journey begins with a brief history of the line before boarding a Scranton Transit trolley to the Laurel Line’s Scranton terminal. There, we board a Laurel Line car to begin our ride to Wilkes-Barre. Along the way, we will make many stops to view scenes of the line in operation. We will also visit the freight-only Minooka Branch on a Fan trip.

This photographic journey, narrated by George Gula of the Pennsylvania Trolley Museum, covers passenger service and freight service as it was in 1952 and freight only operations of 1953 and later. It concludes with the present day Delaware Lackawanna Railroad freight and Electric City Trolley Museum operations.

More than 160 images taken at various locations along the line. Color and Black & White images. Approximately 52 minutes running time.

Keep watching the website for the item to be posted.

John

MrScott1964
Former Member

« Reply #117 on: Jul 17th, 2010, 4:36pm »

After giving it some thought and realizing that I spent so much time learning about The Laurel Line, I hate to see all that knowledge go to waste. So I decided to re-start the Laurel Line project for Trainz. Here is the first screenshot.

MrScott1964
Former Member

« Reply #118 on: Jul 18th, 2010, 7:13pm »

Update...North end on the Scranton Yard.

South end of the Scranton Yard.

Dispatcher's office.

« Last Edit: Jul 18th, 2010, 7:14pm by MrScott1964 » Logged
montclaire
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #119 on: Jul 19th, 2010, 9:47am »

That's pretty cool, thanks for sharing.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »