Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Apr 26th, 2018, 11:03am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Modelling the Laurel Line (diesel era)
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   General Fallen Flags Discussion
(Moderator: Henry)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Modelling the Laurel Line (diesel era)  (Read 2702 times)
Maurice
Chaser

« on: Apr 21st, 2009, 9:23pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I seem to be buying a basement with room enough to build a fair size model railroad. Oh yeah, there's a pretty thick roof, might be some rooms up there, have to look. Real Estate Agent said something about a kitchen and bathroom, etc. Anyway, I plan on starting a new HO scale model railroad. The Laurel Line has always interested me. The time after electric operations ended till the DL&W took them over seems very modelable.  They used just a leased DL&W SW-1, no caboose, and operated short trains. For variety I could bring back a GE 44 tonner and Lehigh Valley switchers would switch Wilkes Barre Meat Packers occasionally, mainly delivering reefers rather than leaving them on the interchange track. It's possible that other Railroads in the City, such as the D&H, switched there under a switching agreement, but I don't have much information on it.
I would like to hear from other fans of the Laurel Line as to what they think I should try to include. Three scenes that I currently plan on are the entrance to the tunnel with the bridge over Roaring Brook, the truck dump at No. 14 and Wilkes Barre yard with the industries there. Some other givens will be a single level, point to point and staging. I doubt I will include the Luzerne County Courthouse scene as it would over-power everything.
So let's hear your opinions, what do you recommend?

« Last Edit: Apr 24th, 2009, 1:04am by Maurice » Logged
grvolans
Railfan
Re: Modelling the Laurel Line (diesel era)

« Reply #1 on: Apr 25th, 2009, 10:37am »

Good for u. Hope everything works out . Got any LL 3rd rail insulators? I've got 2. U can find them in Moosic. 100% whole-no damage. Just north of Rocky Glen.

MrScott1964
Former Member

« Reply #2 on: Aug 4th, 2009, 5:45pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

I'm working on making the Laurel Line in Trainz which is a railroad simulator. It's kind of like model railroading for the computer. I'm building the Laurel Line as it looked when the passenger service stopped in Jan '53. I'm going to start building the Wilkes-Barre terminal area first.

Andyt293
Historian

« Reply #3 on: Aug 4th, 2009, 6:57pm »

Maurice,

Now I know why I keep running into at Lowes.  When you say you're buying things for the house, I thought you meant stuff for the first and second floors.....

If I stand in Grandma's back yard in Georgetown and close my eyes real tight, I can still hear CNJ freights grinding up the backtrack......and smell the smoke from the brake shoes of a Tuscan Century 628 as it leads NE-84 through Georgetown Interlocking on its way to a meet with the D&H at W-B.....
Maurice
Chaser

« Reply #4 on: Aug 4th, 2009, 7:20pm »

MrScott-> interesting idea. Bring it back to life virtually. Good luck with it.

Andy-> There's a first and second floor? Besides the basement? What on earth for? Seriously, all effort has been in those areas and the huge yard. The area where the layout will go is currently occupied by things that haven't found a home yet, though the pile is slowly getting smaller. Which is probably a good thing as it will make me take more time planning.

MrScott1964
Former Member

« Reply #5 on: Aug 13th, 2009, 3:15pm »

Here is a shot from my first building session. I'm starting in the Scranton Yard. Next I'm going to work on the powerhouse and carshop area. Then I'm going to start building models of the buildings.

There seems to be a lack of pictures showing the Scranton L&WV Station. Does anybody know of any pictures?

Frank_D
Historian

« Reply #6 on: Aug 13th, 2009, 6:39pm »

on Aug 13th, 2009, 3:15pm, MrScott1964 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Here is a shot from my first building session. I'm starting in the Scranton Yard. Next I'm going to work on the powerhouse and carshop area. Then I'm going to start building models of the buildings.

There seems to be a lack of pictures showing the Scranton L&WV Station. Does anybody know of any pictures?

There's some photos of the Scranton station in Trackside Around Scranton, and I believe there's a couple in Scranton Trolleys.

That looks pretty cool, can't wait to see how your project progresses.
Frank

MrScott1964
Former Member

« Reply #7 on: Aug 13th, 2009, 8:28pm »

Yes, I have that book and Laurel Line by Henwood & Muncie. I was hoping for some more pictures hidden on the web. Maybe a site I didn't know about. I need all the references I can get of all Laurel Line buildings.

Frank_D
Historian

« Reply #8 on: Aug 14th, 2009, 2:01pm »

I haven't really come across much on the web. The photos on my site are all of the museum operation:http://remnantsofthepast.piczo.com/laurelline?cr=5 There's also a few photos in Pennsylvania Trolleys Volume 1.
I wish I could be of more assistance.
Frank

MrScott1964
Former Member

« Reply #9 on: Aug 25th, 2009, 5:11pm »

Here is my 3rd try on building the L&WV Scranton Station in the Blender program.  I'm modeling the 1903 version.                 I'm giving another call out to anyone with information or pictures on this building.

I've noticed in one of the pics that at the top of the building, facing the Lackawanna Station there is some lettering. Does anybody know what the lettering is?

Maurice
Chaser

« Reply #10 on: Aug 26th, 2009, 12:01am »

Mr. Scott wrote: "
I've noticed in one of the pics that at the top of the building, facing the Lackawanna Station there is some lettering. Does anybody know what the lettering is?"

On page 61 of the Henwood and Muncie book is a photo of that side. Under a magnifying glass I see two lines, the top one says "L & WV RR" and the bottom one says "PASSENGER STATION". Note that it is all in capital letters. On either side of the top line there is something additional, perhaps other words or decoration, but I cannot make it out.
Good luck with your project.

Frank_D
Historian
  LL_Station_1968--r.jpg - 208654 Bytes
« Reply #11 on: Aug 26th, 2009, 10:15am »

I don't know how this will show up, but it's a photo from a March 3, 1968 Scrantonian article on the Laurel Line. It looks like it says "Laurel Line" at the top of the building.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/ffgeneral/LL_Station_1968--r.jpg
Click Image to Resize

MrScott1964
Former Member

« Reply #12 on: Aug 26th, 2009, 12:34pm »

After posting, I was looking at some of the pictures of the Wilkes-Barre Station. I believe Maurice is right. That's what I'll go with. It's interesting that they put the sign on the side of the building and not the front.

It is interesting note, In Frank's picture it does seem to say "Laurel Line". They must of changed it over the years. I wonder what that artical was about? Looking at the picture, I can identify the cars as 1959 models. When was the building torn down?

Thanks for the help.  

Frank_D
Historian
  1968-03-03_Scrantonian.jpg - 231236 Bytes
« Reply #13 on: Aug 26th, 2009, 1:22pm »

Here's the article.
 I know when the station first opened, there was a large electric sign that hung on the front of the building that said, "L&WV." When I get the chance I'll have to dig out the VHS of "Ed Miller's Anthracite Traction." I know there's a shot of the sign on the Wilkes-Barre Station. If I remember correctly, it said "Laurel Line High Speed Electric Service from Wilkes-Barre to Pittston and Scranton," with white letters on a blue background, although I haven't watched it for awhile, so I could be wrong.  
Frank

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/ffgeneral/1968-03-03_Scrantonian.jpg
Click Image to Resize

MrScott1964
Former Member

« Reply #14 on: Aug 26th, 2009, 1:52pm »

Thanks  Frank, that was interesting reading. You mentioned the Anthracite Traction video, I forgot that I had that too. I must watch!

Looking at the Penn Pilot maps, the station was there in the 1959 photo, but gone in the 1969 photo. So the target date for the station destruction was someting in the 60's.

I really am suprised of the lack of pictures of this station. I can imagine that through the years there were millions of pictures taken on the station platform. I'm suprised that none of them showed up on the internet. I really like to see a picture of the platform itself.

MrScott1964
Former Member

« Reply #15 on: Aug 27th, 2009, 3:29am »

This building is just about done! I still have the platform to do. I did manage to find a picture in the Trackside Around Scranton book. The picture is of the Scranton Station lit up at night showing the platform. It looks to have 4 double doors leading to the platform with what appears to be a 3 sided ticket booth in the middle. I added these doors and ticket both to the model. Here's a render shot of the front.

Frank_D
Historian

« Reply #16 on: Aug 27th, 2009, 2:56pm »

That looks pretty cool. Seeing that image makes me wonder how hard it would be to make a model out of styrene.

I wish I could make out what those signs say under that awning in front. I believe for a while one of the taxi companys used part of the station, maybe those signs have something to do with that.

MrScott1964
Former Member

« Reply #17 on: Aug 27th, 2009, 5:46pm »

A cab company was mentioned in the book, but it also said that there was no doorway into the station from the side porch. I know by the 1920's the building was remodeled for more office space and that area was closed in.

As far as the model goes, I'm going to leave that area as is. I will add some lighting on the ceiling to jazz it up a little.

MrScott1964
Former Member

« Reply #18 on: Aug 27th, 2009, 7:19pm »

While I'm finishing up the platform on the Scrantion Station, I'm going to start looking for any information on the Scranton Depot.
 At first, I thought the Scranton depot was one building, but looking at it closer it appears to be two buildings. Is that true? And... Is that building(s) still standing today?

Andyt293
Historian

« Reply #19 on: Aug 27th, 2009, 8:43pm »

The freight station still stands, but has been heavily modified over the years as it has been transformed into an industrial building.  At least five years ago it was being used as a meat packing plant.

If I stand in Grandma's back yard in Georgetown and close my eyes real tight, I can still hear CNJ freights grinding up the backtrack......and smell the smoke from the brake shoes of a Tuscan Century 628 as it leads NE-84 through Georgetown Interlocking on its way to a meet with the D&H at W-B.....
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »