Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Apr 26th, 2018, 11:15am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Laurel Line not a Fallen Flag?
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   General Fallen Flags Discussion
(Moderator: Henry)
   Laurel Line not a Fallen Flag?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  ...  20 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Laurel Line not a Fallen Flag?  (Read 7628 times)
Sherm
Enthusiast
View Profile  

Re: Laurel Line not a Fallen Flag?

« Reply #80 on: Feb 24th, 2009, 9:03pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Sorry but I don't remember any remains of a station at Powder Mill Rd. or Route 502 as far back as the 50's. I checked some topographic maps I had from 1969 but they don't show segments of the L&WV near there. They do show track symbols ending around Rocky Glen Park.  
     Another interesting find on Maptech from 1891 and not related to this topic was the existence of the Scranton and Springbrook Railway that connected to the D&H in Moosic. That could be another interesting discussion.    

mike_nepa
Historian

« Reply #81 on: Feb 25th, 2009, 8:16am »

on Feb 24th, 2009, 9:03pm, Sherm wrote:       (Click here for original message)
   Sorry but I don't remember any remains of a station at Powder Mill Rd. or Route 502 as far back as the 50's. I checked some topographic maps I had from 1969 but they don't show segments of the L&WV near there. They do show track symbols ending around Rocky Glen Park.  
     Another interesting find on Maptech from 1891 and not related to this topic was the existence of the Scranton and Springbrook Railway that connected to the D&H in Moosic. That could be another interesting discussion.    

That is a great site, I recently came across a bunch of topo maps and had them scanned. I sent him a link to share the files. Most are from the 1920-1950's I have more here, but need to get them scanned.

By 1969, the L&WV was gone, so the map won't show it. I do have the 1946 topo map that shows it well. That other railroad you mentioned must have been abandoned early, as the 1946 map shows Route 502 in its place. I would doubt remains of the S&SB railroad could be found.  

Mike

grvolans
Railfan

« Reply #82 on: Feb 25th, 2009, 5:02pm »

THERE WAS A STATION ON POWDER MILL ROAD. IT WAS THE FIRST MOOSIC STATION. THEY LATER MOVED IT TO RT502. IT WAS NEAR WHERE NANA'S PASTA HOUSE IS NOW. THERE WAS AN ABUTMENT FOR A BRIDGE THAT WENT ACROSS 502. THE STATION WAS ACROSS THE BRIDGE ON THE NORTH SIDE OF 502. DO YOU HAVE THE L&WV BOOK?

mike_nepa
Historian

« Reply #83 on: Feb 26th, 2009, 9:38am »

on Feb 25th, 2009, 5:02pm, grvolans wrote:       (Click here for original message)
THERE WAS A STATION ON POWDER MILL ROAD. IT WAS THE FIRST MOOSIC STATION. THEY LATER MOVED IT TO RT502. IT WAS NEAR WHERE NANA'S PASTA HOUSE IS NOW. THERE WAS AN ABUTMENT FOR A BRIDGE THAT WENT ACROSS 502. THE STATION WAS ACROSS THE BRIDGE ON THE NORTH SIDE OF 502. DO YOU HAVE THE L&WV BOOK?

The abutment at Spring Brook is still visible from Rt 502. Only the one on the side of Nana's Pasta.  

Mike

grvolans
Railfan

« Reply #84 on: Feb 26th, 2009, 6:59pm »

What about that abutment at powder mill road? I thought the LL ran under it. It looked like the station was just north of it. I thought the abutment was Erie. Let me know if i'm wrong.

LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #85 on: Feb 26th, 2009, 10:09pm »

Greg,I just looked at a map on Penn  Pilot from 1939,I'm STUNNED..the Erie and L&WV seem to have both run under that abutment,but the shocker is..There was a trestle there that hadda be a MILE LONG!!! Looks like it crossed all the way over to the other side of 81 into Scranton,went clear over to the other side of 81.I think that part of 81 is a huge fill..Looks to me like it was WB&E!!!

When it hits the fan,be the fan...
LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #86 on: Feb 26th, 2009, 11:41pm »

okay..After a little more going blind staring at the '39 ariel photo,the bridge had 11 or so piers.It's definately WB&E,the track goes straight to the Newrail dam.On the other side,the track looks like it crosses RT11 about where the 81 ramp bridge crosses 11 at the top of the hill in Moosic past 502..

« Last Edit: Feb 26th, 2009, 11:42pm by LV LOU » Logged

mike_nepa
Historian

« Reply #87 on: Feb 27th, 2009, 9:04am »

I tried using the penn piliot site, but after selecting the era, the red dots come up but when I click on them, nothing happens. What am I doing wrong?

LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #88 on: Feb 27th, 2009, 9:30am »

Mike,after you select the era,a window pops up with a small version of the map,and three tabs you can click for low,medium,and high resolution.You click on the resolution you want,and it downloads.Maybe your computer just takes a while to load? My computer is really fast,it still takes forever to download,the files are huge.

Ashley_John
Historian
  luzerne_051039_aqz_74_29sm.jpg - 98903 Bytes
« Reply #89 on: Feb 27th, 2009, 10:08am »

on Feb 27th, 2009, 9:04am, mike_nepa wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I tried using the penn piliot site, but after selecting the era, the red dots come up but when I click on them, nothing happens. What am I doing wrong?

You need to right-click on the red dot and a pop-up will appear with the option of resolution for downloading.

By the way, it looks as though the Erie went over the Laurel line and the station was smack dab on that crossover.

JP

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/ffgeneral/luzerne_051039_aqz_74_29sm.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Feb 27th, 2009, 10:29am by Ashley_John » Logged

Riding the rails of the past via media and exploration.
ARA18
Historian

« Reply #90 on: Feb 27th, 2009, 10:40am »

I have a few questions:

1) Does the Trolley Museum use L&WV or Erie trackage?
2) Doesn't the Minooka Branch survive as the MIT?
3) Where do DL operations end, after that is it Luzerne & Susquehanna or Reading & Northern?
4) Does anyone have a map of the line toady?, Scranton is a total bird's nest and it's nearly impossible to find my way around.

Go Leafs!
CSX sucks!
American Viscose #6
Arcade & Attica #18
New York Centra; 4068/4080, Life's Good up here.
LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #91 on: Feb 27th, 2009, 10:47am »

Also,that abutment for the bridge over 502 just above John's "L&WV" arrow is still there,although it's set back from the road more now.502 must have been moved a little when they made it wider.

« Last Edit: Feb 27th, 2009, 10:48am by LV LOU » Logged

LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #92 on: Feb 27th, 2009, 10:53am »

on Feb 27th, 2009, 10:40am, ARA18 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I have a few questions:

1) Does the Trolley Museum use L&WV or Erie trackage?
2) Doesn't the Minooka Branch survive as the MIT?
3) Where do DL operations end, after that is it Luzerne & Susquehanna or Reading & Northern?
4) Does anyone have a map of the line toady?, Scranton is a total bird's nest and it's nearly impossible to find my way around.

ARA,for the most part,except at Montage,where it veers off,the entire trolley museum route is L&WV,even the tunnel.Pretty sure DL operations end at D&H Taylor yard,after that,it's R&N.L&S services the industrial park behind the airport,and also runs as far as south Wilkes Barre.As far as a map,check out Windows Live Local Maps,you'll find everything on there...

« Last Edit: Feb 27th, 2009, 10:56am by LV LOU » Logged

grvolans
Railfan

« Reply #93 on: Feb 27th, 2009, 4:13pm »

Wow!!!! WB&E? I never would have guessed. So that would've been their abutment and Erie and L&WV ran under? Amazing. What is pen pilot?

grvolans
Railfan

« Reply #94 on: Feb 27th, 2009, 4:18pm »

What a find, Lou. Great job. I didn't know WB&E went through there at all. Well at least that explains the abutment. The tracks  that would've been under the abutment are the same tracks there today and are the same tracks the Moosic Station was on. It has to be or I'm an idiot.

mike_nepa
Historian

« Reply #95 on: Feb 27th, 2009, 5:16pm »

on Feb 27th, 2009, 9:30am, LV LOU wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Mike,after you select the era,a window pops up with a small version of the map,and three tabs you can click for low,medium,and high resolution.You click on the resolution you want,and it downloads.Maybe your computer just takes a while to load? My computer is really fast,it still takes forever to download,the files are huge.

Hmm, tried that, after right-clicking the map moves with the mouse and I can't do anything after that. I tried switching rendering engines to IE, no luck. Then tried IE by itself, I see error messages in the bottom right corner.  

I have 7meg DSL, so the speed isn't an issue.

I just tried the site from my laptop in case something was funny with the main computer, same result.  

It did work for me about a month ago, now it won't.  

« Last Edit: Feb 27th, 2009, 5:26pm by mike_nepa » Logged
LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #96 on: Feb 27th, 2009, 8:14pm »

on Feb 27th, 2009, 4:13pm, grvolans wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Wow!!!! WB&E? I never would have guessed. So that would've been their abutment and Erie and L&WV ran under? Amazing. What is pen pilot?

Greg,really tough to tell absolutely,they're grainy old photos,and in some cases,you're just dealing with shadows,ETC,but it appears that the L&WV was between the abutment and a bridge pier,and the Erie was on the other side of the pier,right where it is today.As far as Penn Pilot..Simply THE greatest resource out there for Fallen Flag RR research.The website is PennpilotPSU.org.It's a Penn State site,a large collection of huge ariel photos from 1936-'42,and another set from '67-'72.They're huge files from the National Geographic Survey,and pretty much cover the entire state.The pics are HUGE,most cover an area of a square mile or more.

LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #97 on: Feb 27th, 2009, 8:21pm »

on Feb 27th, 2009, 5:16pm, mike_nepa wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Hmm, tried that, after right-clicking the map moves with the mouse and I can't do anything after that. I tried switching rendering engines to IE, no luck. Then tried IE by itself, I see error messages in the bottom right corner.  

I have 7meg DSL, so the speed isn't an issue.

I just tried the site from my laptop in case something was funny with the main computer, same result.  

It did work for me about a month ago, now it won't.  

Hmm..Mike,I just went onto the sight to see exactly what I do,I zoom in on the area I want by left clicking on it a few times right from the state map,[I don't enter the city..]when I get it big enough,I select the era I want,the diamonds show up,I left  click on the pair I want,and a map pin shows up,then shortly after,the map description/resolotion selection window shows up.You need to keep the arrow on the map pin to keep the window on,but then I just left click on the resolution I want,a save/run window comes up,and I download it.No biggie..

grvolans
Railfan

« Reply #98 on: Feb 28th, 2009, 7:11am »

Ok. Thanks Lou. So the first track you cross on powder mill road was Erie? Then the L&WV would've been up from that- probably next to the abutment but the track is no longer there.What a very confusing place-I can't figure it out for the life of me.My Dad and I walked the wrong track. We walked the first track and ended up behind ceekays and near the pedestrian bridge that crossed over the tracks. Yep-sounds like we were on Erie rails.Please let me know if you find anything else. If it wasn't for your help I'd be more lost than I am now.

LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #99 on: Feb 28th, 2009, 11:35am »

Yeah Greg,first track is Erie.L&WV track is long gone.If you followed that erie track,and kept going in a straight line,you'd come to the L&WV abutment over 502.A little after that,you come to Rocky Glen...That track you walked goes back to the Erie Avoca Yard..If you went a little past RT11,there's a trestle over the D&H..

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  ...  20 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »