Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Apr 26th, 2018, 11:22am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Laurel Line not a Fallen Flag?
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   General Fallen Flags Discussion
(Moderator: Henry)
   Laurel Line not a Fallen Flag?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Laurel Line not a Fallen Flag?  (Read 7634 times)
LV LOU
Historian
Re: Laurel Line not a Fallen Flag?

« Reply #360 on: Apr 4th, 2012, 7:29am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

They're redoing the entire area.There are a lot of overgrown mining areas in Dupont,[where I live..] the borough is cleaning it all up.I think the abutment is part of a modernization of the road system for the airport & all the industrial parks that are taking over the area.They put traffic lights and drains in where the abutment is,and they're widening and straightening the road.

When it hits the fan,be the fan...
LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #361 on: Apr 5th, 2012, 11:45pm »

A little good news..They're not just destroying the abutment and dumping it.They're taking the stones off one at a time,and putting them on a flatbed.Guess they're getting used somewhere else..

LV LOU
Historian
  ava_2-12_035.jpg - 45900 Bytes
« Reply #362 on: Apr 7th, 2012, 1:17am »

Well,here's some pics..This is most likely the last shot of the north abutment still in one piece..

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/ffgeneral/ava_2-12_035.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Apr 7th, 2012, 1:20am by LV LOU » Logged

LV LOU
Historian
  ava_2-12_059.jpg - 41454 Bytes
« Reply #363 on: Apr 7th, 2012, 1:22am »

And today..

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/ffgeneral/ava_2-12_059.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Apr 7th, 2012, 1:27am by LV LOU » Logged

MrScott
Former Member

« Reply #364 on: Apr 7th, 2012, 12:10pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

Thanks for the pics.  
 That area will never look the same again.

Besides the Crown Avenue Tunnel, Pittston Depot and the converted car shops there's not much left of the old Laurel Line.

LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #365 on: Apr 7th, 2012, 4:11pm »

Still the abutment on Laurel street at the end of the Pittston By-Pass..Gotta think that things days are numbered,too..

LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #366 on: Apr 22nd, 2012, 11:58pm »

on Apr 7th, 2012, 1:22am, LV LOU wrote:       (Click here for original message)
And today..

Apparently,the old girl ain't going quietly..From what I can see,the bottom/back of the north abutment is either stone or concrete.They've been using an excavator with a jackhammer on it for a week..They're also drilling/blasting the lower part of the mountain..

henryS
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #367 on: Apr 26th, 2012, 4:13pm »

on Feb 20th, 2012, 7:30pm, LV LOU wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Well,of course roundabouts are safer than crossing type intersections..People alway slow down when they have NO idea where they're going!!! ...I mean,really,is there a single circle anywhere in Pa? I know a lot of them they put in in NJ in the 60's have dissapeared..I had an uncle in Mannville,the two circles we hadda go through to get there were a nightmare,both gone now..

Sorry I'm late to the party here, I just checked in after a long absence.

Centre "Square" in Easton, and 7th and Hamilton in Allentown, are traffic circles of a sort, but I suppose they are not classic roundabouts since they are signalled. The idea behind a traffic circle, as I understand the concept, is the elimination of the need for traffic signals. BTW, in the USA traffic in roundabouts goes CCW, but in the UK it goes CW, which I suppose makes sense for LH running.  

LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #368 on: May 2nd, 2012, 12:48pm »

on Apr 22nd, 2012, 11:58pm, LV LOU wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Apparently,the old girl ain't going quietly..From what I can see,the bottom/back of the north abutment is either stone or concrete.They've been using an excavator with a jackhammer on it for a week..They're also drilling/blasting the lower part of the mountain..

Gone........

Frank_D
Historian
  12-12-22-PM-0001cr.jpg - 320078 Bytes
« Reply #369 on: Jan 10th, 2013, 11:16am »

At the south end of Laurel Line tunnel, December 22, 2012.

Image exceeds Forum display limit of 300000 bytes. (320078 bytes, 768x576 pixels)

Click Here to View Image 12-12-22-PM-0001cr.jpg - 320078 Bytes

Riptrack59
TRAINing

« Reply #370 on: Nov 3rd, 2013, 8:51pm »

Howdy Folks, former member MrScott here with a new name...WVRR1964. The WVRR stands for Wyoming Valley Railroads because I'm a fan of all the railroads here especially the Laurel Line.
   When I last posted I was working on a virtual model of the Laurel Line in Trainz...the railroad simulator. I got the project about 90% done when I realized that as time went on and I received more historical information on the Laurel Line, my existing project had a lot of errors in it. Too many errors! I've decided to take another run at this project. I'm not sure what train simulator I'm making the project in yet, but it will happen. At this time I'm trying to find the last of the Laurel Line mysteries that I still have since I started doing research on this railroad many years ago. Even though nobody has posted here in almost a year I thought I might rekindle the interest in the Laurel Line conversation by bringing up some of these mysteries.

Mystery 1-
  Since I've started my research on the Laurel Line I made it a point to get at least one reference picture of every stop. And I have them all but two...
   A- I'm looking for a picture of the Waldorf stop, this was a part of the Over The Hill section of the Laurel Line at the River Street Crossing.
   B- Believe it or not, I do not have one picture of the North Pittston stop by Williams St. I have a few pictures taken from the Williams Street Bridge but none are facing the direction of the stop itself. All of them seem to be facing the direction of the Butler Breaker.

Mystery 2-
  I also have multiple pictures of just about every trolley, combination trolley and freight motor that the Laurel Line last used...except for one. For some reason I never found a picture of coach #36. What happened to #36? Was it in a wreck or did it just have the misfortune of never being photographed? Kind of on the same topic, what happened to express car #203? There's pictures of #202 and #204... but no #203.

Mystery 3-
  It took a long time but I believe I have figured out the locations of all the industries that the Laurel Line served. The company name of Kurtonick & Shaffer comes up a few time in the Laurel Line book. It was a scrap dealer that dealt in scrap paper and rags and was located somewhere in Scranton. In all my searching I've never came up with it's location. I'm sure somebody out there knows where they were located.

Mystery 4-
  I'm not sure if this is an actual Laurel Line mystery or not...In researching the area of North Street in Wilkes-Barre, I found a Penn Pilot aerial 1959 photo that shows a small spur line next to a building. The spur line looks like it's coming from the Laurel Line tracks. This building was located across  the tracks from the gasworks. Today this area is occupied by a parking garage. Old maps show this building as the Artificial Ice Company. What was this building in the later years? And did the Laurel Line service it?

If you need more details on any of these mysteries, please ask.

Scott,
Fan of the Anthracite Railroads
Ashley_John
Historian
  LWV_RVR1.jpg - 144406 Bytes
« Reply #371 on: Nov 8th, 2013, 8:30pm »

Are you asking about the station stop at River Street in Wilkes-Barre? If so, I have attached an Ed Miller photo snippet of the River street stop

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/ffgeneral/LWV_RVR1.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Riding the rails of the past via media and exploration.
Riptrack59
TRAINing

« Reply #372 on: Nov 9th, 2013, 1:25am »

on Nov 8th, 2013, 8:30pm, Ashley_John wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Are you asking about the station stop at River Street in Wilkes-Barre? If so, I have attached an Ed Miller photo snippet of the River street stop

Actually, I'm looking for the Scranton River Street. According to the Laurel Line system map, there was a stop there called Waldorf. I'm not sure what the name Waldorf is from. I'm assuming that it's a section of Scranton.

Scott,
Ashley_John
Historian

« Reply #373 on: Nov 11th, 2013, 12:11pm »

on Nov 9th, 2013, 1:25am, WVRR1964 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Actually, I'm looking for the Scranton River Street. According to the Laurel Line system map, there was a stop there called Waldorf. I'm not sure what the name Waldorf is from. I'm assuming that it's a section of Scranton.

Oh, Ok. That would be part of the "Over the Hill" route. Likely in place before the Crown Ave tunnel was built.

Riding the rails of the past via media and exploration.
mike_nepa
Historian

« Reply #374 on: Nov 14th, 2013, 5:03pm »

There is a social club called the "Waldorf" that is not far from the Laurel Line's over the hill track and the Erie's Wyoming Division.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=41.3909&mlon=-75.6469#map=16/41.3909/-75.6470

Mike

Riptrack59
TRAINing

« Reply #375 on: Nov 14th, 2013, 11:49pm »

on Nov 14th, 2013, 5:03pm, mike_nepa wrote:       (Click here for original message)
There is a social club called the "Waldorf" that is not far from the Laurel Line's over the hill track and the Erie's Wyoming Division.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=41.3909&mlon=-75.6469#map=16/41.3909/-75.6470

Mike

There's a connection. It must be an area name that is not used anymore. A bit more about this stop...
 I was reading about how the Scranton Ready-Mix Concrete Company, a company that was near the Waldorf stop, complained about the Laurel Line's decision to close the Dunmore Branch in '47. It turns out that this was one of the on-line industries that the Laurel Line serviced. The Erie & Wyoming ended up running a spur to the factory. I still can't seem to confirm the exact location of this building. I'm sure it was taken down to make room for I-81.

Scott,
Riptrack59
TRAINing

« Reply #376 on: Dec 16th, 2013, 1:47pm »

I was wondering if anybody call tell me where the Thomas C. Thomas Produce Company spur was in Wilkes-Barre? The few Laurel Line pictures and maps I have of this area seem to be giving me different information. I know where the buildings are located today but in the pictures I have seem to indicate other buildings where used back in the day. See the following pictures...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/guks1fuslbgmjpd/106%20North%20Pennsylvania%20Ave%20Crossing.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ug9xiht0gnavs0y/107%20North%20Pennsylvania%20Ave%20Crossing.jpg

Scott,
Riptrack59
TRAINing

« Reply #377 on: Dec 16th, 2013, 2:07pm »

Here is the reason why I'm looking for Laurel Line information in the Wilkes-Barre area.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ca10niai4hizktb/Wilkes-Barre%20yard2.jpg

I'm building a model of the Laurel Line in a rail simulator and I'm trying to get all the historical facts correct. I know there was four industries in the Wilkes-Barre area that the Laurel Line served. Wilson & Co., Lehigh Beef Co., Swift Co. and Thomas C. Thomas Produce Co. The first three where located in the Wilkes-Barre yard. I believe that the Lehigh Beef Co. was leasing the former Laurel Line depot building. There was a fourth small triangular building at the end of the yard that I believed belonged to the Swift Co...see picture in the last post. Does anybody know what that small building was used for?

Scott,
Maurice
Chaser

« Reply #378 on: Jan 4th, 2014, 10:27pm »

Mike, your dropbox links aren't working. Did you switch services?  
Much of what you ask depends on what year you wish to represent. I think the yard in the 50's was Swift north of the Freight house, then the Freight house, then Wilson, then Lehigh. The Swift and Wilson buildings looked similar but the Lehigh building was small. I am at work but will check my files when I get home to see if I can find photos or maps to back me up.

Riptrack59
TRAINing

« Reply #379 on: Jan 4th, 2014, 10:51pm »

Hi Maurice, I re-arranged my Dropbox folders so all the links are no longer good. Sorry about that. I forgot about the post I had here because it's rare anymore that someone replies. I'm looking for any information for the years 47 thru 52. I remember you sending me a layout of where the building were in the W-B yard but I have long since lost that information. If you could post that info again, that would be great!

Oh I'm Scott by the way. Mike is the other person that used to post here.

Scott,
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »