Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Apr 26th, 2018, 11:13am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Laurel Line not a Fallen Flag?
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   General Fallen Flags Discussion
(Moderator: Henry)
   Laurel Line not a Fallen Flag?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Laurel Line not a Fallen Flag?  (Read 7627 times)
MrScott
Former Member
Re: Laurel Line not a Fallen Flag?

« Reply #340 on: Feb 11th, 2012, 9:44pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

on Feb 2nd, 2012, 7:18pm, LV LOU wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Not sure what's up,but now they're doing work on the north pier,but it may only be cleaning it up.Someone is using a Bobcat to clear up all the trees and brush,maybe someone is putting a house up there? On the south pier,the coal guys have dug down maybe 4 feet below the back of the top of the pier,and are using the area as a loading/staging area.I have to believe that sooner or later,the whole mountain will be gone.The original roadbed along the entire stretch where the Pittston By-Pass is was dug out because the entire area underneath was low grade coal,the area behind the pier has to be coal,also.That's also where the old raised roadbed in Pittston across Oak Street went,the entire 40 foot high roadbed was all low grade coal. I took pics,but can't find my USB cable to download them...

Any Updates?

Ashley_John
Historian

« Reply #341 on: Feb 11th, 2012, 11:59pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

From what I understand, they are removing the north pier to straighten the alignment of the road. Get your photos while you can.

The south pier will remain for now because of the access road which runs next to it.

Riding the rails of the past via media and exploration.
LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #342 on: Feb 16th, 2012, 12:07am »

I haven't really "heard" anything about it.As of right now,though,there's a lot of cleanup and excavation going on all around the north pier.John could be correct about road alignment,possibly in concert with another big construction project going on at the airport.Rt 315 is just the other side of the hill behind the abutment.If you look,the entrance to the Petro is just on the other side of the highway from the abutment,the Avoca exit from 315 is built almost on the old ROW..There's a big project starting,all the on/off ramps at the airport to 81 are getting realigned,and Navy Way,the road that runs back to Daemon's,is getting extended all the way to a new exit to 81 by 84 Lumber right through all the new industrial parks.The whole area is getting ripped up,guess they figure might as well deal with the gotta go someday abutments while they're there.
I would immagine there's gonna be some effect on the old WB&E tracks in the Grimes Industrial park,also,since the new highway will go right through the park..  
 The south abutment is already half dug out behind,looks like they're taking out the entire mountain..
 John,wanna get together and take some pics?

« Last Edit: Feb 16th, 2012, 12:09am by LV LOU » Logged

When it hits the fan,be the fan...
LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #343 on: Feb 16th, 2012, 9:55am »

One other thing I just remembered.On the top of Broad street in Pittston,there was the remains of an old Erie bridge that crossed the L&WV.It was at the back of Galli's car lot.It was,for the most part,partially buried.It has recently been either completely buried or removed.

LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #344 on: Feb 16th, 2012, 10:23pm »

Okay..Another kinda update.I was looking at the map of the highway exit project,it's on the calander I got from Dupont Borough where I live.On the back,there's a list:"Work pending for 2012"..
 The very first is:"Completion of traffic signal project for Heidelberg Bridge."
  Well,the Heidelberg Viaduct was named for the area,so,the bridge at the end of the By-pass is the Heidelberg Bridge.Right now,they're digging up the side of the road,[Main Street..] and putting in what looks like electric/phone service line conduits,or possibly storm drains.Could be in anticipation of widening thre road for another lane,possibly making removal of the abutment necessary? I'll see what I can find out..
 Another interesting tidbit on the list:"Railroad upgrades to Main Street Crossing". I live on the other leg of Main Street,where the R&N/CP cross over.The R&N crossing was rebuilt a few years ago,but they did a crappy job,it's falling apart,worse than before they fixed it..Guess my street will be closed again for a month..

« Last Edit: Feb 17th, 2012, 12:18am by LV LOU » Logged

LV LOU
Historian
  12012_087.jpg - 34120 Bytes
« Reply #345 on: Feb 16th, 2012, 10:51pm »

Here's a few pics..First,the south abutment,with the back dug out..I just also noticed on my calender:"Mineral reclaimation project for 28 acres near Heidelberg Bridge."

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/ffgeneral/12012_087.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Feb 16th, 2012, 10:58pm by LV LOU » Logged

LV LOU
Historian
  12012_097.jpg - 42655 Bytes
« Reply #346 on: Feb 16th, 2012, 11:15pm »

The north abutment..

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/ffgeneral/12012_097.jpg
Click Image to Resize

LV LOU
Historian
  12012_113.jpg - 62678 Bytes
« Reply #347 on: Feb 17th, 2012, 12:16am »

Another.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/ffgeneral/12012_113.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Ashley_John
Historian

« Reply #348 on: Feb 17th, 2012, 12:21am »

Take a look at the "proposed" changes. Looks like this will be fun if this is how it will be done.

http://thetimes-tribune.com/news/penndot-plan-would-send-airport-travelers-around-and-around-1.1100436#axzz1mc4NFHaB

Riding the rails of the past via media and exploration.
LV LOU
Historian
  1634913231.jpg - 27121 Bytes
« Reply #349 on: Feb 18th, 2012, 12:00am »

WOW!!!
  Somebody has "ROUNDABOUT" on the brain...What's the need for a roundabout where I put the arrow? Are they gonna race go-karts there? All it needs is a turnoff,not a stupid circle.My wife is gonna hafta drive through that mess every day.Right now,the turn off 81 to William is just a nice,easy drive,nothing like making it a nightmare..

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/ffgeneral/1634913231.jpg
Click Image to Resize

HwyHaulier
Historian

« Reply #350 on: Feb 20th, 2012, 9:38am »

LV LOU -

Roundabouts? Yes, it is rare when there is demonstrated need. But, the "traffic calming" a current fad rage. Highway Agencies  
which do it get some extra FREE FED FUNDS! And, that's that story! <G>

............................Vern......................

Ticket Agent serving...Pacific Stage Lines...Washington State System...Mt. Hood Stages...Pickwick Stages...Transcontinental & Western Air Lines.... Admitted Gold Bug..... Observant Orthodox Mossback..... H.M.R.A.O. Curmudgeons......
LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #351 on: Feb 20th, 2012, 7:30pm »

Well,of course roundabouts are safer than crossing type intersections..People alway slow down when they have NO idea where they're going!!! ...I mean,really,is there a single circle anywhere in Pa? I know a lot of them they put in in NJ in the 60's have dissapeared..I had an uncle in Mannville,the two circles we hadda go through to get there were a nightmare,both gone now..

« Last Edit: Feb 20th, 2012, 7:32pm by LV LOU » Logged

LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #352 on: Mar 1st, 2012, 12:05am »

on Feb 17th, 2012, 12:16am, LV LOU wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Another.

Not sure what they're doing with the north abutment.Looks like they're just cleaning it up,the entire hill is dug up.At the moment,Dupont is putting up traffic lights at the intersection,they're up right now,but not working yet.The signs on the hill are also gone,and there's a road up there now.

LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #353 on: Mar 19th, 2012, 8:28pm »

Well,bad news..Took a snif today,they're digging out behind the north abutment,also,there's an excavator up there filling dump trucks,the backs of the top two rows of stones are exposed..Looks like both sides will be gone soon..

LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #354 on: Mar 29th, 2012, 7:18pm »

Went by today,nearly half of the back of the north abutment is dug out.I'll get a pic tomorrow.At the rate it's going,I suspect it wil be gone in the next two weeks..

adam4562
Enthusiast

« Reply #355 on: Apr 3rd, 2012, 4:02pm »

bad news ,  they are taking the stones off the abutment and loading it on to trucks. They are doing  what is happening to farmers field stone walls  just on a larger  scale. The stone is good  quality , but its a shame thet are taking it from there. I  viewed   the action  from  behind  the  abutment , i walked in  along the old  row from  Avoca.   You can access the row  from the top of Mcalpine  St.

adam budney
LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #356 on: Apr 3rd, 2012, 9:52pm »

Yes,they started removing the stones today.I got pics over the last few days,probably have the last pic of it in one piece.I guess it really was time for it to go.The bridge was taken down over 40 years ago,with all the development in the area,I guess I'm kinda surprised it lasted this long.It did seem to be something that would be there forever.I'll get pics up tomorrow..

adam4562
Enthusiast

« Reply #357 on: Apr 3rd, 2012, 10:26pm »

Yeah  but there are alot of stone abutments around. Honestly i didnt take they were going to take down the wall. Money talks.

adam budney
LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #358 on: Apr 3rd, 2012, 11:39pm »

The reason they're removing it is because it's a dangerous intersection.After the abutment is removed,they're widening the road to straighten out the curve around it in the road.There are accidents there all the time in bad weather.Also,in the general scheme of things,except to us,it's an eyesore.

MrScott
Former Member

« Reply #359 on: Apr 3rd, 2012, 11:43pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

That's kind of funny...It's an eyesore, an eyesore that's been there for over 100 years.    And now they want to take care of it?

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »