Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Apr 26th, 2018, 11:06am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Laurel Line not a Fallen Flag?
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   General Fallen Flags Discussion
(Moderator: Henry)
   Laurel Line not a Fallen Flag?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Laurel Line not a Fallen Flag?  (Read 7623 times)
wetmary
Railfan
Re: Laurel Line not a Fallen Flag?

« Reply #240 on: Mar 19th, 2010, 5:00pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I didn't know the Laurel Line was a flag.  Was "Laurel Line" the name of the railroad?  I've been a rail enthusiast for over forty years in the east and I've never heard of it.

grvolans
Railfan

« Reply #241 on: Mar 19th, 2010, 8:19pm »

Was actually called "Lackawanna and Wyoming Valley Railroad". Shortened to "Laurel Line" by the owners. Ran from Scranton to Wilkes Barre until the 60's.Taken over by the EL then by Conrail. Sold to Pocono Northeast. By then much of it was abandonded with only the Minooka branch seeing service.

LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #242 on: Mar 30th, 2010, 3:19pm »

Well..Actually,it wasn't so much "shortened"...The L&WV was "The Laurel Line" just like the LV was "The Route Of The Black Diamond" or the DL&W was "The Route Of The Phoebe Snow"..It was the L&WV's slogan.Passenger service ended in 1951 or '52[brainfade,LOL!!!] and it was taken over by the Erie.

When it hits the fan,be the fan...
grvolans
Railfan

« Reply #243 on: Mar 30th, 2010, 3:32pm »

Well Hello Lou. How are you? My Dad and I walked a good deal of the LL. Lots of remnants still to be found. Did you get my email about the abutment on Powder Mill Road? If u follow the track from Powder Mill Road on Penn Pilot, it curves and heads east alongside the other Erie tracks heading for Hillside Jct. Looks like they staged a lot of cars on that track back in the 30's.Had to be Erie's.

Frank_D
Historian
  10-04-05-0039--r.jpg - 133526 Bytes
« Reply #244 on: Apr 7th, 2010, 8:14am »

We hiked along a portion of the Laurel Line on Monday. This is along the causeway across Rocky Glen Lake, looking south.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/ffgeneral/10-04-05-0039--r.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Frank_D
Historian
  10-04-05-0041--r.jpg - 103361 Bytes
« Reply #245 on: Apr 7th, 2010, 8:16am »

The remains of this small bridge are submerged in this gap in the causeway.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/ffgeneral/10-04-05-0041--r.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Frank_D
Historian
  10-04-05-0044--r.jpg - 179407 Bytes
« Reply #246 on: Apr 7th, 2010, 8:18am »

A number of insulators are scattered along the right-of-way.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/ffgeneral/10-04-05-0044--r.jpg
Click Image to Resize

grvolans
Railfan

« Reply #247 on: Apr 7th, 2010, 10:11pm »

Nice shots Frank. Too bad idiots keep destroying the bridge there. Found tin from the station roofs at Dupont. Also some broken insulators, ties and spikes. Wish i could find a station sign!

Frank_D
Historian

« Reply #248 on: Apr 8th, 2010, 8:29am »

I'm hoping to get back down there soon. I wanted to get to the station site, but was on the wrong side of that gap in the causeway. If I was 20 years younger I could have jumped across. The area definitely needs more exploration. A station sign would be a good find, but I think they'd be long gone by now. I have some other photos on the Twitpics page: http://twitpic.com/photos/dufr01 At some point I'll scan the Laurel Line article in Railroad Magazine from March 1951 and post it here.

grvolans
Railfan

« Reply #249 on: Apr 8th, 2010, 6:09pm »

Yeah. I'll bet someone's got them in their basement. (station signs). Lot of signal bases around Moosic and north of Heidelberg at Avoca. Around Hilldale houses were built right on the row, near Atherton st. Found the row a little past Plains High School again but then lost it near the River st intersection. Hard to tell where the Prospect viaduct was.

Frank_D
Historian

« Reply #250 on: Apr 9th, 2010, 1:28pm »

One of these days I'll need to get down that way. Aside from the Pittston station area I've never really went south of Moosic. I'd like to check out the bridge site in Avoca, as well as the Heidelberg Colliery area, and the D&H in Avoca. I'd like to see the site of the 1933 wreck I wrote about a few years back:
http://remnantsofthepast.piczo.com/?g=55966858&cr=5  
I'm sure the good artifacts from those areas are long gone. I fear some ended up in the trash.

LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #251 on: Apr 9th, 2010, 3:19pm »

If anybody ever wants to get together,I pretty much know the entire system from Avoca to WB..We should set up a day trip...

When it hits the fan,be the fan...
grvolans
Railfan

« Reply #252 on: Apr 9th, 2010, 9:05pm »

there are some heidelberg viaduct remnants on the north side of the abutment. also found a journal bearing box cover up there.also a signal base and some broken insulators and ties. other than that nothing much to see.

grvolans
Railfan

« Reply #253 on: Apr 9th, 2010, 9:30pm »

Lou, sounds great. Watch for the ticks. Picked up 5 of them at Dupont station.Know of anyone with any artifacts?

grvolans
Railfan

« Reply #254 on: Apr 14th, 2010, 9:47pm »

Found a video of (vhs) Scranton Transit, Laurel Line, and Wilkes Barre Railway at a flea market. Anyone wants a dvd version copy let me know. Will mail/deliver in person.

Ashley_John
Historian

« Reply #255 on: Apr 14th, 2010, 10:09pm »

on Apr 14th, 2010, 9:47pm, grvolans wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Found a video of (vhs) Scranton Transit, Laurel Line, and Wilkes Barre Railway at a flea market. Anyone wants a dvd version copy let me know. Will mail/deliver in person.

Would that be Ed Miller's "Anthracite Traction"?

Riding the rails of the past via media and exploration.
grvolans
Railfan

« Reply #256 on: Apr 15th, 2010, 11:19am »

No sir. This one is " Penna. Trolleys:2 Nostalgic Trolley Tour #9".About a half hour long but very very good!!How is the Anthracite Traction video? Anyone got a copy?

Frank_D
Historian

« Reply #257 on: Apr 15th, 2010, 1:30pm »

Ed Miller's Anthracite Traction is pretty good. About an hour long, roughly half hour Wilkes-Barre, ten minutes Laurel Line, and about twenty minutes Scranton. Most of it is in color. I have the VHS copy, but it was re-issued in DVD a few years ago. I think they might still have some at Scranton Hobby on Lackawanna Avenue.

Ashley_John
Historian

« Reply #258 on: Apr 15th, 2010, 2:58pm »

on Apr 15th, 2010, 11:19am, grvolans wrote:       (Click here for original message)
No sir. This one is " Penna. Trolleys:2 Nostalgic Trolley Tour #9".About a half hour long but very very good!!How is the Anthracite Traction video? Anyone got a copy?

Ok, that would be the video put out by Mark 1 Video in 1996. It does have some good footage not found on Ed Miller's Anthracite Traction by Transit Gloria Mundi.

JP

Riding the rails of the past via media and exploration.
mike_nepa
Historian

« Reply #259 on: Apr 15th, 2010, 4:08pm »

on Apr 9th, 2010, 3:19pm, LV LOU wrote:       (Click here for original message)
If anybody ever wants to get together,I pretty much know the entire system from Avoca to WB..We should set up a day trip...

I am interested, I injured my knee skiing so its still healing up. Really put a damper on the prime exploring season. I should be good to go soon.

Mike

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »