Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Apr 26th, 2018, 11:04am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Laurel Line not a Fallen Flag?
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   General Fallen Flags Discussion
(Moderator: Henry)
   Laurel Line not a Fallen Flag?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  ...  20 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Laurel Line not a Fallen Flag?  (Read 7621 times)
grvolans
Railfan
Re: Laurel Line not a Fallen Flag?

« Reply #20 on: Oct 30th, 2008, 7:34pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Thanks Mike. Your pics were very informative. Do you know how to access the northern avoca abutment?what road in avoca will take us there? i know we have to walk a little to get to it. Greg

x600
Historian

« Reply #21 on: Oct 31st, 2008, 1:38pm »

on Jun 8th, 2008, 4:47pm, grvolans wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Why isn't there  a forum on the Laurel Line? I think it deserves its own forum since it was a railroad and ended service in 1952.

I think it would be entirely appropriate to discuss the Laurel Line on the Erie Lackawanna forum since the EL ran the tracks in the end. Maybe the Mod could put a sticky up. (?? ??)
Greg O

grvolans
Railfan

« Reply #22 on: Nov 1st, 2008, 9:19pm »

Well I don't know. Then lv, erie, cnj.... should all be under conrail forum.  
By the way, does anyone know what the buildings were on Thompson Street in Port Griffith? I know the Laurel Line ran next to them. One building looks like engine shops. They are across from the junk yard. Thanks in advance. Greg

adam4562
Enthusiast

« Reply #23 on: Nov 2nd, 2008, 12:36am »

hey,  i,m pretty sure  to get there u have to park at the very top of Mcalpine  st above main ave in avoca.   I walked part way down but never to the abutment. Also i  figured it was up there cause when u go south on main ave the abutment is on your left so i new the  rr bed was up there. Also a  while  back i got lucky enough to find a map that still has the laurel line on the map

adam budney
mike_nepa
Historian

« Reply #24 on: Nov 2nd, 2008, 8:53am »

on Oct 30th, 2008, 7:34pm, grvolans wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Thanks Mike. Your pics were very informative. Do you know how to access the northern avoca abutment?what road in avoca will take us there? i know we have to walk a little to get to it. Greg

Offhand I don't know, but shouldn't be hard to plot it.  

Mike

grvolans
Railfan

« Reply #25 on: Nov 5th, 2008, 7:04pm »

Well we found our way up the north abutment. Some remains of the Heidlberg viaduct are still there, along with ties, a journal box, broken insulators, and cut off poles. Also found a name and date carved in rock face near Dupont Station. Anyone want to see pics I will email to you. Having problems uploading pics here. Greg

adam4562
Enthusiast

« Reply #26 on: Nov 6th, 2008, 1:54am »

hey, were is the dupont station located? what street ? thanks

adam budney
grvolans
Railfan

« Reply #27 on: Nov 6th, 2008, 3:27pm »

Well, Dupont Station is no more. Was torn down in the 50's. There are some remains of the tracks like ties and broken insulators. Even the cinder ballast is still there. It is off the Avoca-Dupont bridge. Continue South to a stop sign. The concrete abutment to your right carried the LL over Rt.11. Above the abutment is where the station stood. You can see the old wood from it lying to the right. That would have been the Northbound station. Hope I helped you. Greg

LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #28 on: Nov 7th, 2008, 9:57pm »

on Nov 1st, 2008, 9:19pm, grvolans wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Well I don't know. Then lv, erie, cnj.... should all be under conrail forum.  
By the way, does anyone know what the buildings were on Thompson Street in Port Griffith? I know the Laurel Line ran next to them. One building looks like engine shops. They are across from the junk yard. Thanks in advance. Greg

Greg,that area is a little confusing if you're following what's left.It's easy to think those buildings are L&WV,but they're actually on the old Erie.As far as I know,they're mine buildings.The L&WV kinda gets lost at the Triangle Diner if you don't remember what was there.The abandoned roadbed behind the Diner is ex-Erie.The L&WV actually crossed UNDER the Erie at that spot,so the Erie and Main street actually went across a bridge over the L&WV there.The visible roadbed on the other side of the street is Erie,the L&WV traveled through a concrete culvert that is now filled in,the tracks veered to the right,and went behind Mitchell's lumber,so it's really easy to get the tracks confused.If ya ever want to go for a ride and check stuff out,just E-mail me..I'm off Saturday/Sunday...

When it hits the fan,be the fan...
grvolans
Railfan

« Reply #29 on: Nov 7th, 2008, 10:19pm »

Thanks Lou. It does get confusing with the Erie being so close all the time. Didn't both roads go over Oak Street? I see one abutment. Where was the other? Was easier following L&WV at Rocky Glen, Moosic, and Avoca. Found perfect insulator and name and date (1921) carved in rock face. You're a great help as usual Lou. My sister says hello. She remembers you.

LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #30 on: Nov 7th, 2008, 11:44pm »

LOL!! Your sister was a nice kid,I'd like to run into her one of these days..The Erie and L&WV both used the same bridge over Oak Street,it was two tracks.The Erie was the track closest to Main Street.It paralled the L&WV from the Pittston Pool to The Triangle Diner.At the pool,it dropped down to behind Radio City.There was a yard in the library parking lot,and a coal mine in the same area.The L&WV dropped down a grade immediately after the bridge at the south end.The entire area was a yard from the bridge to the diner.The L&WV half of the bridge was abandoned before I can remember,so really,the L&WV trackage was never active in Pittston City even before 1960 or so,it was long gone before then.As far as I remember,the L&WV half of the bridge was removed in 64 or so..Where the Medicap Pharmacy is,there was a huge fill as high as the remaining abutment that ran as far as Swallow Street that was removed in 1968,along with the rest of the bridge. The Erie tracks joined up with the Erie tracks that ran along the Bypass near those buildings at Thompson street..By the way,take a look at the side of the road before the stop sign by the Dupont station.There used to be a miniature golf course there,the concrete remains are still there..

« Last Edit: Nov 7th, 2008, 11:45pm by LV LOU » Logged

adam4562
Enthusiast

« Reply #31 on: Nov 8th, 2008, 12:44am »

cool thanks. in moosicthere is a bridge abutment were it crosses springbrook creek off rt 502.  it is in the parking lot of Nanas  pastahouse.  also there is another bridge abutment off powder millroad in moosic , it is rigth after u cross the ereie tracks

adam budney
grvolans
Railfan

« Reply #32 on: Nov 8th, 2008, 8:28am »

Right. Moosic station used to be to the left of the road crossing on Powder Mill road. That was- as far as I know -actual L&WV trackage. I thought the abutment above was scranton railway's . Please let me know if I am incorrect. Why would L&WV put a station on Erie tracks? Greg

LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #33 on: Nov 8th, 2008, 11:53am »

I'm pretty sure that abutment on Powdermill road is a bridge that went over the L&WV..

grvolans
Railfan

« Reply #34 on: Nov 8th, 2008, 12:54pm »

What went across that abutment? Scranton Railway? I know they went south to pittston and went over the LV and D&H.

LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #35 on: Nov 8th, 2008, 12:57pm »

If you mean the WB&E,most likely,or maybe the Erie.I'll hafta do a little "flying" on Virtual Earth to figure it out..L&WV paralleled William street in Avoca,81 is built right over it near where the old radio station building is.When you take the Dupont exit off 81 and come to the stop sign,the spot where you take a left to go into Dupont,the roadbed ends right behind the guardrail at the stopsign.It ran right across the end of the airport,and crossed 502 just above Rocky Glenn Road..

« Last Edit: Nov 8th, 2008, 1:03pm by LV LOU » Logged

grvolans
Railfan

« Reply #36 on: Nov 8th, 2008, 1:24pm »

Very interesting. But I know Scranton Railway had a viaduct in Dupont also that went over LV,D&H. I thought maybe the abutment at powder mill was the roadbed for them. The book doesn't tell you who owned the bridge over L&WV. We might have to go explore!

LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #37 on: Nov 8th, 2008, 3:35pm »

Greg,where was that viaduct? WB&E went over LV and D&H,but at 2 seperate locations,neither in Dupont.The only bridge I know of that went over both the D&H and LV anywhere in the valley[State?] was the L&WV Heidelburg,that's the only place those railroads even come near each other,other than Binghamton..If ya wanna go on a fact finding mission,my wife is going outa town all day Sunday and Monday,I got nothing better to do..

« Last Edit: Nov 8th, 2008, 3:36pm by LV LOU » Logged

grvolans
Railfan

« Reply #38 on: Nov 8th, 2008, 3:55pm »

Lou-do you have the Laurel Line book? It shows Dupont Station and in the background is a bridge going over the LV and D&H. It is called Scranton Railway's. This pic is on page 95 of "Laurel Line an Anthracite Region Railway" by Muncie and Henwood. Looking north at Dupont Station, it was on the right side. I fool you not.

LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #39 on: Nov 8th, 2008, 5:23pm »

Oh man..No wonder I don't know about it..The pic was taken in 1917!Looks like it was somewhere near the rental place on the bypass..Probably came from main street in Dupont,and crossed over to Laurel street..It's non existant in a 1937 pic of the area on Penn Pilot...Way off my radar..You know,there are concrete abutments near the D&H bridge that crosses the LV..

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  ...  20 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »