Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Apr 26th, 2018, 11:09am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Laurel Line not a Fallen Flag?
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   General Fallen Flags Discussion
(Moderator: Henry)
   Laurel Line not a Fallen Flag?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  ...  20 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Laurel Line not a Fallen Flag?  (Read 7625 times)
Maurice
Chaser
Re: Laurel Line not a Fallen Flag?

« Reply #180 on: Aug 4th, 2009, 7:15pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I have not a clue as to where the North Plains stop was. I really would like to take a a good geological map and over lay the route and stops on it. Ewen was the name of a Colliery owned by the Pennsylvania Coal Company. There are two undated photos of the Laurel Line tracks by that Colliery in the book "Laurel Line, An Anthracite Region Railway" by Henwood and Muncie. Neither photo shows a stop shelter or station.
 Just an aside to add more confusion, the North Pittston stop is called Williams Street stop on a map in the book "Viewing Pennsylvania Trolleys" by Kenneth Springirth.

« Last Edit: Aug 4th, 2009, 7:42pm by Maurice » Logged
MrScott1964
Former Member

« Reply #181 on: Aug 4th, 2009, 7:51pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

Here is what I know about Williams Street.  I had a aunt and uncle that lived on Williams Street. It's basically a big hill. Unless Williams Street continues in some other location, there was never tracks around Williams Street. The LL tracks were a couple blocks down on Main Street. I'll take a closer look on the Penn Pilot maps.

LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #182 on: Aug 6th, 2009, 7:59pm »

North Pittston certainly was at the top of William street.The donut shop is built on top of the right of way.The track was actually 30 feet down,it's all been filled in.The fill they just did on the opposite side of the road from the donut shop was the corresponding hole on the other side of the road.There was a timber trestle that crossed the tracks into Pittston TWP.If you look at the top of Broad street,just in the back of Galli's used car lot,there's still an Erie bridge there where the Erie crossed the L&WV..The Erie also crossed William street just above Adonizio's Funeral Home..

As for the breaker stops,my grandfather rode the L&WV to work,and it did stop at the breakers along the line.As to if they were actual stops,it was probably more considered a RR operational stop than an actual passenger stop,and was most likely only done when someone was there....

« Last Edit: Aug 6th, 2009, 8:13pm by LV LOU » Logged

When it hits the fan,be the fan...
LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #183 on: Aug 6th, 2009, 8:08pm »

Oh yeah..Stations in Plains..There was a station in Plains at Saylor Ave,near O'Malia's greenhouses.There was also a station where the RR crossed the road below Orloski's,near Lou's auto service.I'm pretty sure there was also one where the tracks crossed under Main Street in Plains,near the daycare center,and also one by the school on William street in Plains..

MrScott1964
Former Member

« Reply #184 on: Aug 6th, 2009, 8:11pm »

My Fault! There are 2 Williams Streets. I didn't read the post carefully. I believe I was trying to find where the North Plain stop is. Yes, the North Pittston stop is at Williams Street.

Which stop was on Perkins Street in Plains?

LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #185 on: Aug 6th, 2009, 8:25pm »

Hmmm...On that map you posted,"Plains" would be the stop at the school on William Street,"Hilldale" is the one at Saylor ave."North Plains" is the only stop between them on the map,but in reality,there were at least two stops in that stretch..

MrScott1964
Former Member

« Reply #186 on: Aug 7th, 2009, 11:02pm »

I did find one thing out. The #14 Breaker stop was not on the original stops list. It was built in 1918. This stop is another one of those stops that I kind of know the area the stop was at, but not exactly.

I also looked at some of the Penn Pilot Maps from 1939. While this is a great tool to have, it also leads me to more questions.

Between River Street and the Prospect viaduct there looks to be a small breaker just to the left of the Hollenbach Cemetery. Does anybody know what that breaker's name is? If it is a breaker?

LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #187 on: Aug 8th, 2009, 12:46am »

If you're talking about the breaker between the cemetary and the prison,that was the Dorrance Colliery...The fan house is still there,a few groups in WB are trying to preserve it...

MrScott1964
Former Member

« Reply #188 on: Aug 8th, 2009, 1:20am »

Thanks! I'm working on a google earth map that shows all the stops. You wouldn't happend to know where the Midvale stop was at?

LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #189 on: Aug 9th, 2009, 1:31am »

If you were to drive under the Cross Valley Expressway,and bear right to go to Plains,you go up a straight stretch for about 1/2 mile,then go through a really nasty "S" curve.Just as you enter the first curve,you'd be going under an L&WV trestle.Midvale would have been on the right side of the trestle..

MrScott1964
Former Member

« Reply #190 on: Aug 9th, 2009, 1:47am »

I figured it was around that trestle but I was sure of which side.

I'm down to the last 2. South Avoca and Avoca. I have a picture where the tracks cross South Ave. It looks like the stop is right before that crossing. Is that correct?

For the Avoca stop, I have plenty of pictures of the substation and small freight house but I have no address or street location. Any ideas?

LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #191 on: Aug 9th, 2009, 2:52pm »

Pretty sure "Avoca" was on the south side of Plane Street,South Avoca was between Clark Street and Russel Street...

MrScott1964
Former Member

« Reply #192 on: Aug 9th, 2009, 3:09pm »

My guess for Avoca was close but my guess for South Avoca was way off. That takes care of the stops. Except for #14 Stop and the Valley View Park.  

Looking at the Penn Polit Maps I can't seem to find #14 Stop. Valley View Park was somewhere around Inkerman.

Thanks for your help!

LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #193 on: Aug 9th, 2009, 8:12pm »

Valley View was the Inkerman stop,it was on the south side of the L&WV trestle over Market Street.I'm pretty sure #14 was pretty close to the entrance to Heather Highlands.There's still a L&WV trestle in Heather Highlands,at least there was a few years ago..

MrScott1964
Former Member

« Reply #194 on: Aug 9th, 2009, 10:16pm »

on Aug 9th, 2009, 8:12pm, LV LOU wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Valley View was the Inkerman stop,it was on the south side of the L&WV trestle over Market Street.I'm pretty sure #14 was pretty close to the entrance to Heather Highlands.There's still a L&WV trestle in Heather Highlands,at least there was a few years ago..

Isn't the south side of the trestle on Market Street the Jenkins Township dump?  

LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #195 on: Aug 10th, 2009, 12:06am »

Yep..The station would have been above it...

MrScott1964
Former Member

« Reply #196 on: Aug 10th, 2009, 12:33am »

Here is a shot from the 1939 map. Would the #14 arrow be the stop? I can't tell what that is. It also there in the 1959 map.

Something else I noticed. The Road or Track arrow to the left, Is that Laurel Line track or just a road?

LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #197 on: Aug 10th, 2009, 8:34pm »

Well,I'm not certain,but I'd call it a track..I can't see any reason to have a road from the track cross another road like that.Pretty smooth curves to be a road,too...Pretty sure that arrow is the #14 stop.It's at a trestle.That trestle was still there 5 years ago..

MrScott1964
Former Member

« Reply #198 on: Aug 10th, 2009, 9:35pm »

I not sure if that bridge is still there. I don't think there any way to get back there without going through people yards or walking on private property. I do know that about a month or two ago they were tearing up the tracks between Saylor Ave and Heather Highlands.

LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #199 on: Aug 10th, 2009, 11:14pm »

If you went into Heather Highlands,you make a left at the first stop sign onto West Drive.Follow West Drive to the end,it should be somewhere right there...Check it on Bing maps..The right of way is the bottom of Heather Highlands..

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  ...  20 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »