Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Apr 26th, 2018, 11:21am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Laurel Line not a Fallen Flag?
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   General Fallen Flags Discussion
(Moderator: Henry)
   Laurel Line not a Fallen Flag?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16  ...  20 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Laurel Line not a Fallen Flag?  (Read 7632 times)
mike_nepa
Historian
Re: Laurel Line not a Fallen Flag?

« Reply #160 on: Jun 17th, 2009, 6:24am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

on Jun 16th, 2009, 11:01am, Frank_D wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I haven't been south of Montage Mountain Road, along the Erie. I wonder if they're done with that road widening project down there.  
I've only explored a small portion of the Pittston area as well, mostly up behind the library and along the river. I wonder if there's any remnants of the Gravity down that way.

I passed through there a few weeks ago, had traffic behind me so a stop and snap a pix wasn't poassible as there was no side to pull over to. The tracks are still unbolted and no signs of removal were seen.  

Last year we went back to the Montage Mtn section and we noticed the larger bridge over Springbrook had much work done to it. It was now posted so we couldn't go further.

Mike

mike_nepa
Historian

« Reply #161 on: Jun 17th, 2009, 6:25am »

on Jun 17th, 2009, 12:06am, LV LOU wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Frank,I grew up a few blocks away from that abutment.I waited under the bridge for the school bus,LOL!! Do you have any kind of maps for the gravity railroad? There's actually a "Gravity" street in Pittston,ran right next to the Laurel Line...

I have a map or two but they are too large to post here.

Mike

Frank_D
Historian
  Pittston-1873-r.jpg - 146134 Bytes
« Reply #162 on: Jun 17th, 2009, 8:46am »

This is the only Pittston map I have that shows the Gravity, it's from 1873 the Gravity is towards the right. If I remember, the next time I'm at the library I'll see if I can find more.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/ffgeneral/Pittston-1873-r.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Jun 17th, 2009, 8:51am by Frank_D » Logged
LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #163 on: Jun 17th, 2009, 9:38pm »

Frank,are you talking about the loop above the "Borough Of Pittston" wording? That's abandoned Erie trackage..

When it hits the fan,be the fan...
Frank_D
Historian

« Reply #164 on: Jun 18th, 2009, 8:07am »

on Jun 17th, 2009, 9:38pm, LV LOU wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Frank,are you talking about the loop above the "Borough Of Pittston" wording? That's abandoned Erie trackage..

Construction didn't begin on the Wyoming Division until February 1883. Prior to that most of what became the Wyoming Division was part of the Pennsylvania Coal Company's gravity road. In 1873 that section, at least according to that map was part of the loaded track of the Gravity.

Frank_D
Historian

« Reply #165 on: Jun 18th, 2009, 8:25am »

There's a story in todays Scranton Times about the costs of a Scranton-Wilkes-Barre rail line.
http://www.thetimes-tribune.com/news/experts_light_rail_is_costly_but_worthwhile_choice

mike_nepa
Historian

« Reply #166 on: Jun 19th, 2009, 4:31pm »

Well a hint will be what happens to the grade crossing at Montage Mtn rd once they complete the road project. If they tear it out, or re-build it. That section from there to Hillside Junction is not in bad shape, nowhere near as bad as the Wyoming Division's remaining tracks north of the L&WV junction.

Mike

Frank_D
Historian

« Reply #167 on: Jun 20th, 2009, 2:43pm »

I had hoped to get down there yesterday, but with all this rain, I dreaded the thought of trudging through the mud. June's half over and I only had one decent day at Connell Junction.

mike_nepa
Historian

« Reply #168 on: Jun 21st, 2009, 6:08am »

This month has been terrible! Can't seem to break this rainy pattern.

Mike

Frank_D
Historian
  09-07-06-0018--r.jpg - 128890 Bytes
« Reply #169 on: Jul 6th, 2009, 5:07pm »

On our trip today we actually caught a freight train running south along the laurel Line, running backwards, around milepost 3.5.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/ffgeneral/09-07-06-0018--r.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Frank_D
Historian
  09-07-06-0019--r.jpg - 106513 Bytes
« Reply #170 on: Jul 6th, 2009, 5:10pm »

D-L 405 passing us, pushing one covered hopper.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/ffgeneral/09-07-06-0019--r.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Frank_D
Historian
  09-07-06-0020--r.jpg - 135914 Bytes
« Reply #171 on: Jul 6th, 2009, 5:12pm »

Another view of the 405 pushing the hopper south towards Virginia.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/ffgeneral/09-07-06-0020--r.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Frank_D
Historian
  09-07-06-0039--r.jpg - 122052 Bytes
« Reply #172 on: Jul 6th, 2009, 7:05pm »

The crossing at Montage Mountain Road has been paved over.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/ffgeneral/09-07-06-0039--r.jpg
Click Image to Resize

mike_nepa
Historian

« Reply #173 on: Jul 7th, 2009, 6:37pm »

It looks like the rails have been removed from the crossing. So much for the LS - DL connection!  

Neat pictures of DL on the Laurel Line!  

LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #174 on: Jul 8th, 2009, 12:22am »

on Jul 7th, 2009, 6:37pm, mike_nepa wrote:       (Click here for original message)
It looks like the rails have been removed from the crossing. So much for the LS - DL connection!  

Well,ya gotta figure that..The old DL&W line from Coxton to Scranton was recently rebuilt,the R&N already uses that as a connection to the D&H/ DL in Scranton,the L&S gets THEIR freight from the R&N..Why rebuild a track that simply isn't needed?

When it hits the fan,be the fan...
Frank_D
Historian

« Reply #175 on: Jul 8th, 2009, 2:55pm »

on Jul 7th, 2009, 6:37pm, mike_nepa wrote:       (Click here for original message)

I wonder what, if anything it means for that talk of light rail service they had in the paper last month. Could it just be that one government bureaucracy don't know what another bureaucracy is planning?

We were lucky to catch that freight train, in all the times we've been down there, it was a first!
Frank

mike_nepa
Historian

« Reply #176 on: Jul 8th, 2009, 5:34pm »

Well if that "light rail" ever happens it wouldn't be a big deal to put the crossing back in. Unless they remove all the rail down to Hillside......

Mike

MrScott1964
Former Member

« Reply #177 on: Aug 3rd, 2009, 3:20pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

I've been doing some research on the Laurel Line and I found a map that has extra flag stops on it.

North Plains, Number 14, Ewen and Heidelberg are added on. They are not on a list of stops I had from 1930. I noticed that 3 of the 4 are stops at breakers.

Are these actual stops? When where they added?

Maurice
Chaser

« Reply #178 on: Aug 3rd, 2009, 10:18pm »

Just to confuse the issue, I have a 1918 Employee timetable that lists No. 14 stop. Could it depend on whether the particular breaker was working or closed?

MrScott1964
Former Member

« Reply #179 on: Aug 3rd, 2009, 11:21pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

on Aug 3rd, 2009, 10:18pm, Maurice wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Just to confuse the issue, I have a 1918 Employee timetable that lists No. 14 stop. Could it depend on whether the particular breaker was working or closed?

Hummm the plot thickens!  That would make sense about the breaker stops. Any idea about the North Plains stop? Looking at this map is the first time I've ever heard of it?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16  ...  20 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »