Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Apr 26th, 2018, 11:16am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Laurel Line not a Fallen Flag?
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   General Fallen Flags Discussion
(Moderator: Henry)
   Laurel Line not a Fallen Flag?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  ...  20 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Laurel Line not a Fallen Flag?  (Read 7629 times)
Frank_D
Historian
Re: Laurel Line not a Fallen Flag?

« Reply #140 on: Jun 11th, 2009, 2:31pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Story in today's Scranton Times about reviving the Laurel Line:
http://www.thetimes-tribune.com/news/county_planners_reviving_commuter_trains_key_to_traffic_woes

Frank_D
Historian
  09-05-22-0006--r.jpg - 156305 Bytes
« Reply #141 on: Jun 11th, 2009, 2:35pm »

Here's one of the trolley passing Connell Junction.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/ffgeneral/09-05-22-0006--r.jpg
Click Image to Resize

LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #142 on: Jun 12th, 2009, 7:26pm »

on Jun 11th, 2009, 2:31pm, Frank_D wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Story in today's Scranton Times about reviving the Laurel Line:
http://www.thetimes-tribune.com/news/county_planners_reviving_commuter_trains_key_to_traffic_woes

Wow..Frank,from what I can see,four lines through the greater Pittston area? One appears to be the old DL&W Bloom through West Pittston,then the next going east is the old LV Passenger main,then,the next[of course,STUPID GOVERNMENT..] is the old Erie main along the Pittston Bypass,that they JUST TORE UP LAST YEAR...The next appears to be the D&H main,jumping off to the old CNJ in Hudson..I'd certainly like to see more of this as least discussed..

« Last Edit: Jun 12th, 2009, 10:54pm by LV LOU » Logged

When it hits the fan,be the fan...
mike_nepa
Historian

« Reply #143 on: Jun 13th, 2009, 5:25am »

Some of those shown are proposed alternate routes. They even included the Carbondale branch that goes by my house (the old D&H Penn Division) They do have train stations along the line built in recent years more for the heritage factor. Funny how this would be cheaper then widening I-81.

Mike

Frank_D
Historian

« Reply #144 on: Jun 13th, 2009, 1:53pm »

i would like to see this discussed as well. It would seem logical to use the Erie route, at least part of the way south to Wilkes-Barre. I don't know how many times I wished the Laurel Line was still in existence when I was making that commute down there. I'm not too familiar with some of those route. I really need to spend more time wandering around south of Moosic.  
I also like the idea of using the D&H up to Carbondale.  
Years ago I used to ride the Shaker Rapid in Cleveland. I really miss those old yellow PCCs.

LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #145 on: Jun 13th, 2009, 6:58pm »

Mike,read what I just posted in the link Frank entered to tre Scranton Times article,and give that some thought..I sent a letter to Spectre and Kanjorski years ago,no response..Frank,too bad they were so short sighted on the Laurel Line.It can really never be revived,at least not without buying out hundreds of properties that are now built right on the former ROW..The story may be the same on the Erie,at least past Pittston.The actual idea of running the Bloom in West Pittston seems good,but just too dangerous,there are dozens of nearly blind grade crossing along the route.The only really viable routes would be on the D&H,which would be okay for through trains,since it's fairly isolated,or,in my opinion,the LV passenger main being the best,since it runs through heavily populated areas,yet has nearly no grade crossings...On the north end,the LV main would still connect to the Bloom..

mike_nepa
Historian

« Reply #146 on: Jun 14th, 2009, 5:36am »

on Jun 13th, 2009, 6:58pm, LV LOU wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Mike,read what I just posted in the link Frank entered to tre Scranton Times article,and give that some thought..I sent a letter to Spectre and Kanjorski years ago,no response..Frank,too bad they were so short sighted on the Laurel Line.It can really never be revived,at least not without buying out hundreds of properties that are now built right on the former ROW..The story may be the same on the Erie,at least past Pittston.The actual idea of running the Bloom in West Pittston seems good,but just too dangerous,there are dozens of nearly blind grade crossing along the route.The only really viable routes would be on the D&H,which would be okay for through trains,since it's fairly isolated,or,in my opinion,the LV passenger main being the best,since it runs through heavily populated areas,yet has nearly no grade crossings...On the north end,the LV main would still connect to the Bloom..

I am not familiar with that area. I haven't had a chance to explore the abandoned lines down that way (yet) I would imagine the old L&WV ROW is gone as it was abandoned so long ago. From looking at the SPV maps, there is quite a tangle of lines just like up my way except most of what was in my area is long gone and the ROW's are gone. It seems down your way, the ROW's may be more intact and could be made usable again (except for the L&WV )

Mike

grvolans
Railfan

« Reply #147 on: Jun 14th, 2009, 12:50pm »

Hey guys. There's a bit of the L&WV row left, like from Scranton to Minooka.The rest is mostly just atv paths now from Rocky Glen to Dupont. It was filled in by the Donut shop in Pittston and behind the Triangle Diner, as it ran under these roads. There is some track remnants off Thompson Street in Inkerman and South of Heather Highlands. May be some rail left around Saylor Ave, but that's about it. Shame.

Frank_D
Historian

« Reply #148 on: Jun 14th, 2009, 2:22pm »

Does the LV main, the line along the river through Pittston, connect somewhere with the Erie? For the plan to be viable, the track would have to hit some populated areas. I'm not sure how much of the L&WV could realistically be rebuilt, ie the Avoca viaduct for instance.

Spectre and Kanjo are like relics of the past. Their views are so stuck in 1960's as far as transportation goes. It was 5 years ago when both of them were pledging support for the rail line to Hoboken, and we're still waiting on that. They both seem to be big highway advocates.

Frank_D
Historian

« Reply #149 on: Jun 14th, 2009, 2:25pm »

I really need to get down to Pittston and do some more poking around. I've been on part of the L&WV row through there as far south as the Pine Street crossing. I wasn't sure where it crossed Main Street at. There's a big stone abutment, but I think it might have been from the Erie, but I wasn't sure. Plus I'd still like to look for any remains of the Gravity.

LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #150 on: Jun 14th, 2009, 3:45pm »

Frank,the entire L&WV in Pittston is a dead issue.There simply is no ROW left after Moosic,never mind the Heidelberg Viaduct in Avoca.After Rt 502,a big piece of the ROW is under 81,and the ROW in Pittston TWP is now dozens of yards under restaurant and gas stations.As far as crossing main street in Pittston,there was a 2 track trestle that crossed at a 45 degree angle right across Oak Street,taken out in the mid 60's.
There is a connection with the Erie to the LV in Avoca,and also one with the former DL&W right in Coxton..Both of those connections and mains are being,or have been updated by the R&N and the L&S recently.Frank,any time you want to sniff around the area,I'm actually old enough to remember a lot of it,just shoot me a PM...

grvolans
Railfan

« Reply #151 on: Jun 14th, 2009, 4:02pm »

The abutment is (was) L&WV and Erie. Both had tracks that went over Oak and Main streets in Pittston.

Frank_D
Historian
  08-07-07bb--r.jpg - 131751 Bytes
« Reply #152 on: Jun 14th, 2009, 6:45pm »

I took this photo of the abutment last summer, At the time I wasn't sure what it was exactly.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/ffgeneral/08-07-07bb--r.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Frank_D
Historian
  08-07-07dd--r.jpg - 136437 Bytes
« Reply #153 on: Jun 14th, 2009, 6:48pm »

I also saw some ties along the former right-of-way.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/ffgeneral/08-07-07dd--r.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Frank_D
Historian

« Reply #154 on: Jun 14th, 2009, 6:52pm »

on Jun 14th, 2009, 3:45pm, LV LOU wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Frank,the entire L&WV in Pittston is a dead issue.There simply is no ROW left after Moosic,never mind the Heidelberg Viaduct in Avoca.After Rt 502,a big piece of the ROW is under 81,and the ROW in Pittston TWP is now dozens of yards under restaurant and gas stations.As far as crossing main street in Pittston,there was a 2 track trestle that crossed at a 45 degree angle right across Oak Street,taken out in the mid 60's.
There is a connection with the Erie to the LV in Avoca,and also one with the former DL&W right in Coxton..Both of those connections and mains are being,or have been updated by the R&N and the L&S recently.Frank,any time you want to sniff around the area,I'm actually old enough to remember a lot of it,just shoot me a PM...

I would like to see some of those sights down that way. The fall would be best after all the vegitation dies off. At this time of year some of the good stuff just isn't too visible.

I have some other photos on my site:
http://remnantsofthepast.piczo.com/?g=1&cr=5

grvolans
Railfan

« Reply #155 on: Jun 14th, 2009, 7:06pm »

Great website, Frank. Liked your pics. Hard to find Erie whistle posts now.

Frank_D
Historian

« Reply #156 on: Jun 15th, 2009, 4:23pm »

on Jun 14th, 2009, 7:06pm, grvolans wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Great website, Frank. Liked your pics. Hard to find Erie whistle posts now.

That Erie page needs work. I never would have thought anything would be going on along there. Things look very different now that that pipeline was installed. Every so often I look for the whistle posts at River Street, and Milepost 14, without success.

mike_nepa
Historian

« Reply #157 on: Jun 15th, 2009, 6:16pm »

Yeah maybe when the growth dies off I would like to see more of that area as well. The most I have done was following the WB&E & Erie through the reverse S curve that no longer exists and a bit further up north.  

Mike

Frank_D
Historian

« Reply #158 on: Jun 16th, 2009, 11:01am »

I haven't been south of Montage Mountain Road, along the Erie. I wonder if they're done with that road widening project down there.  
I've only explored a small portion of the Pittston area as well, mostly up behind the library and along the river. I wonder if there's any remnants of the Gravity down that way.

LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #159 on: Jun 17th, 2009, 12:06am »

Frank,I grew up a few blocks away from that abutment.I waited under the bridge for the school bus,LOL!! Do you have any kind of maps for the gravity railroad? There's actually a "Gravity" street in Pittston,ran right next to the Laurel Line...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  ...  20 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »