Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Apr 26th, 2018, 11:07am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Laurel Line not a Fallen Flag?
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   General Fallen Flags Discussion
(Moderator: Henry)
   Laurel Line not a Fallen Flag?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13  ...  20 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Laurel Line not a Fallen Flag?  (Read 7624 times)
grvolans
Railfan
Re: Laurel Line not a Fallen Flag?

« Reply #100 on: Feb 28th, 2009, 5:43pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Just one more ? on this section- we found the old abutment that went across 502. Did LL go over the Erie here? Since that is Erie trackage It had to of. The Erie went past the abutment and over their bridge to be across from LL at Rocky Glen.

mike_nepa
Historian

« Reply #101 on: Feb 28th, 2009, 8:21pm »

on Feb 27th, 2009, 8:21pm, LV LOU wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Hmm..Mike,I just went onto the sight to see exactly what I do,I zoom in on the area I want by left clicking on it a few times right from the state map,[I don't enter the city..]when I get it big enough,I select the era I want,the diamonds show up,I left  click on the pair I want,and a map pin shows up,then shortly after,the map description/resolotion selection window shows up.You need to keep the arrow on the map pin to keep the window on,but then I just left click on the resolution I want,a save/run window comes up,and I download it.No biggie..

I did it the way you described, and it worked! The only difference is I did not enter a city & state but used the zoom functions as you described. Weird how that would totally mess it up.  

mike_nepa
Historian
  Rocky_Glen.jpg - 98151 Bytes
« Reply #102 on: Feb 28th, 2009, 8:34pm »

on Feb 28th, 2009, 5:43pm, grvolans wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Just one more ? on this section- we found the old abutment that went across 502. Did LL go over the Erie here? Since that is Erie trackage It had to of. The Erie went past the abutment and over their bridge to be across from LL at Rocky Glen.

I just noticed this on the same penn pilot image of luzurne (#29) What do you make of this? a L&WV spur track? What is interesting is the angle to route 502. If you drive up route 502 today, before you cross under the Erie bridge, there is an abutment in springbrook creek that is angled just like this. It appears to connect to the L&WV mainline.

Mike

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (98151 bytes, 937x601 pixels)

Click Here to View Image Rocky_Glen.jpg - 98151 Bytes

grvolans
Railfan

« Reply #103 on: Feb 28th, 2009, 10:03pm »

Sure its not the actual LL mainline abutment? Don't think they had any connecting track there. Too far away to be WB&E. Maybe an Erie connection?

LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #104 on: Mar 1st, 2009, 12:14am »

Mike,glad you got on..Greg,if you look at the pic Mike just posted,or the other one Ashley John posted,you'll see the Erie went over the L&WV.The Abutment is beyond the crossover,right on the edge of 502.
 Mike,no idea what that is,looks like a bridge that dead ends..Makes no sense..I'll sniff a few maps,see what I can figure out.I was searching the WB&E today,too,found something,or maybe nothing..Looks like there may be a WB&E tunnel behind one of the Springbrook Reservoirs.Mike,how do you post a pic from PennPilot?

When it hits the fan,be the fan...
LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #105 on: Mar 1st, 2009, 12:28am »

HA!!! Just answered my own question.I was following the WB&E on Windows Live Maps,saw a gap in the roadbed of the WB&E behind the Watres Reservoir.It looked like a long tunnel,I just checked it out on Penn Pilot...ANOTHER HUGE steel trestle,like the Kinzua Viaduct...Positively awesome!!! Mike,did you see that trestle bye Powdermill road? Geez...Can't believe the WB&E did all that,then crapped out...

mike_nepa
Historian

« Reply #106 on: Mar 1st, 2009, 8:03am »

on Mar 1st, 2009, 12:28am, LV LOU wrote:       (Click here for original message)
HA!!! Just answered my own question.I was following the WB&E on Windows Live Maps,saw a gap in the roadbed of the WB&E behind the Watres Reservoir.It looked like a long tunnel,I just checked it out on Penn Pilot...ANOTHER HUGE steel trestle,like the Kinzua Viaduct...Positively awesome!!! Mike,did you see that trestle bye Powdermill road? Geez...Can't believe the WB&E did all that,then crapped out...

That was known as the "High Bridge" I have a page of it including an actual photograph of the bridge. Located here.

http://nepaview.piczo.com/?g=28890362&cr=4

mike_nepa
Historian

« Reply #107 on: Mar 1st, 2009, 8:06am »

on Mar 1st, 2009, 12:14am, LV LOU wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Mike,glad you got on..Greg,if you look at the pic Mike just posted,or the other one Ashley John posted,you'll see the Erie went over the L&WV.The Abutment is beyond the crossover,right on the edge of 502.
 Mike,no idea what that is,looks like a bridge that dead ends..Makes no sense..I'll sniff a few maps,see what I can figure out.I was searching the WB&E today,too,found something,or maybe nothing..Looks like there may be a WB&E tunnel behind one of the Springbrook Reservoirs.Mike,how do you post a pic from PennPilot?

The images are way too large to post here. I opened up a photo editing program and simply selected the section I wanted and copy-paste to a new image. (I try to keep it below 1024 X 76 then add any notes and save it.  

I have on hand USGS maps of the area from 1946 I just had scanned. I will have to look at that section and see what it says. I have also been really busy with the activity along the Erie's Wyoming Division.

Mike

mike_nepa
Historian
  1946_Topo_snip.jpg - 226706 Bytes
« Reply #108 on: Mar 1st, 2009, 8:15am »

This attachment may be of help. It is a section of a 1946 USGS topo map. I had to convert them to JPG first before I could clip out this section. When I had these maps scanned, they were scanned as TIFF.  

This shows the area in question, where the Erie and L&WV cross each other.

I noticed it helps explain my question above with the area circled. Look at the L&WV as it crosses under the turnpike. You will see that spur track shown.  

Mike

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (226706 bytes, 1024x724 pixels)

Click Here to View Image 1946_Topo_snip.jpg - 226706 Bytes

« Last Edit: Mar 1st, 2009, 8:19am by mike_nepa » Logged
Ashley_John
Historian

« Reply #109 on: Mar 1st, 2009, 10:08am »

on Mar 1st, 2009, 8:15am, mike_nepa wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I noticed it helps explain my question above with the area circled. Look at the L&WV as it crosses under the turnpike. You will see that spur track shown.  

Mike

Mike, that has to be an updated 1946 map, yes? The turnpike wasn't built that early, was it?

John

Riding the rails of the past via media and exploration.
LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #110 on: Mar 1st, 2009, 10:19am »

on Mar 1st, 2009, 10:08am, Ashley_John wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Mike, that has to be an updated 1946 map, yes? The turnpike wasn't built that early, was it?

John

The PA Turnpike Northeast Extension was started in 1955,finished in 1957..Now it takes them that long to repave 4 miles,LOL!!!
Mike,in that pic,that spur doesn't even appear to be RR track..I'm stumped..Seems to go to nowhere.

LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #111 on: Mar 1st, 2009, 2:50pm »

Perhaps that's an abandoned connection to the Erie from the L&WV..I can't see why there would have never been a connection from one to the other there.Perhaps some road/creek project rendered that connection too expensive to redo at the time,and it ended up abandoned.That was Hillside Junction,seems there woulda been a junction there,LOL!!!

mike_nepa
Historian

« Reply #112 on: Mar 2nd, 2009, 7:52am »

on Mar 1st, 2009, 10:08am, Ashley_John wrote:       (Click here for original message)

John

It says "Avoca, 1946"  

Ashley_John
Historian

« Reply #113 on: Mar 2nd, 2009, 8:32am »

on Mar 2nd, 2009, 7:52am, mike_nepa wrote:       (Click here for original message)

It says "Avoca, 1946"  

I see. It's either an updated map, or a map with the "proposed" route of the northeast extension drawn some 8 years before construction began. Ground-breaking for the northeast extension didn't happen until March 25th, 1954 (from the pa turnpike website history). On April 1st, 1957, the extension was opened to the wyoming valley interchange. The last 16 miles to scranton opened on November 7th, 1957.

JP

Riding the rails of the past via media and exploration.
mike_nepa
Historian

« Reply #114 on: Mar 2nd, 2009, 5:21pm »

on Mar 2nd, 2009, 8:32am, Ashley_John wrote:       (Click here for original message)

I see. It's either an updated map, or a map with the "proposed" route of the northeast extension drawn some 8 years before construction began. Ground-breaking for the northeast extension didn't happen until March 25th, 1954 (from the pa turnpike website history). On April 1st, 1957, the extension was opened to the wyoming valley interchange. The last 16 miles to scranton opened on November 7th, 1957.

JP

That could very well be as several other maps I have  show proposed routes before they were built.

Mike

grvolans
Railfan

« Reply #115 on: Mar 2nd, 2009, 6:37pm »

Hi. My wife, the dog, and I walked around where Dupont Station stood. Not much to see except broken insulators, rotted ties, a few spikes and the wood platform from the Northbound station. The Quail Hill development seemed to have wiped out the Southbound row. Found the rusted metal from the station roofs. Tried to resize pics but didn't work. Will email pics to anyone who wants to see them. Was there a station called Heidelberg?

Maurice
Chaser

« Reply #116 on: Mar 2nd, 2009, 10:04pm »

on Mar 2nd, 2009, 6:37pm, grvolans wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Hi. My wife, the dog, and I walked around where Dupont Station stood. Not much to see except broken insulators, rotted ties, a few spikes and the wood platform from the Northbound station. The Quail Hill development seemed to have wiped out the Southbound row. Found the rusted metal from the station roofs. Tried to resize pics but didn't work. Will email pics to anyone who wants to see them. Was there a station called Heidelberg?

I really have to check these forums more often. Yes, there was a Heidelberg station between Dupont and South Avoca. There is also a Laurel Line thread in the Traction section.

LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #117 on: Mar 3rd, 2009, 12:24am »

Greg,I think Heidelberg station was overlooking the Heidelburg Breaker at the South end of the Heidelburg Trestle..LOL!!

grvolans
Railfan

« Reply #118 on: Mar 3rd, 2009, 6:35am »

Ok. I didn't know there was a seperate station that close to Dupont station.I can't seem to be able to post pics here. I resize b
ut it still tells me pic is too large.

LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #119 on: Mar 5th, 2009, 1:37pm »

So...Nice miserable 65 degree day coming Sunday..[LOL!!] Anybody up for chasing some ghosts??

« Last Edit: Mar 5th, 2009, 2:30pm by LV LOU » Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13  ...  20 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »