Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Apr 26th, 2018, 1:00pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Laurel Line not a Fallen Flag?
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   General Fallen Flags Discussion
(Moderator: Henry)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  ...  20 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Laurel Line not a Fallen Flag?  (Read 7639 times)
grvolans
Railfan

« on: Jun 8th, 2008, 4:47pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Why isn't there  a forum on the Laurel Line? I think it deserves its own forum since it was a railroad and ended service in 1952.

mike_nepa
Historian
Re: Laurel Line not a Fallen Flag?

« Reply #1 on: Jun 8th, 2008, 6:29pm »

Since the birth of the Electric City Trolley Museum and the need for freight service on the Minooka Branch, part of the Laurel Line lives today as an excursion and service. If a discussion were ongoing on the general board perhaps they would create a forum for it.

Graham_Paige

View Profile  

« Reply #2 on: Jun 9th, 2008, 12:44pm »

on Jun 8th, 2008, 4:47pm, grvolans wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Why isn't there  a forum on the Laurel Line? I think it deserves its own forum since it was a railroad and ended service in 1952.

Good point. The Laurel Line's a fallen flag in exactly the same way as the Lackawanna, Lehigh & Hudson River, Penn Central and lots of others are fallen flags. Pieces of each of them are still in service and nearly everybody agrees that they're fallen flags.
A lot of people are interested in the Laurel Line, so it probably would be a good forum.

Ashley_John
Former Member

« Reply #3 on: Jun 9th, 2008, 2:08pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

I think you'll find a thread or two in the Traction forum. The Wilkes-Barre & Hazleton was a very similar line which is also long gone, but you don't see a forum for that line either. I would think it belongs in the traction forum anyway.

JP

Maurice
Chaser

« Reply #4 on: Jun 11th, 2008, 5:53pm »

I agree we need a thread on it. I guess traction section is most appropriate, but it did run as freight only using a leased diesel locomotive for about seven years (1953 to 1960, I think) until officially becoming part of the D.L.&W. So if we wanted to discuss that part it might be considered "off-topic" for the traction section.

grvolans
Railfan

« Reply #5 on: Sep 10th, 2008, 7:48pm »

Speaking of the LL, does anyone know a way into Virginia? Seems pretty wooded there but there's got to be a way in. I was thinking maybe crown ave or Connell Jct. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Greg

mike_nepa
Historian

« Reply #6 on: Sep 13th, 2008, 6:56pm »

on Sep 10th, 2008, 7:48pm, grvolans wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Speaking of the LL, does anyone know a way into Virginia? Seems pretty wooded there but there's got to be a way in. I was thinking maybe crown ave or Connell Jct. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Greg

If you mean the junction of Virgina the best way I can think of is to park at Montage Mtn rd where the trolley almost crosses the road and the ex-Erie tracks cross. When you enter Montage Mtn rd, you will first cross the active tracks which are the Minooka Branch that comes off of Virgina. Continue driving unless you actually want to walk that branch line.  
Walk back along the active rails and you will see a switch that diverges to the right that has no electric poles. Do not take them, they are the abandoned Erie line. Shortly thereafter you will see the Virgina junction. The walk from the road to this junction is 0.75 miles. You will also see part of the original Laurel Line alignment still there with tracks and such. The tracks only go a short ways before they are pulled up, but the original switch that connected to Virgina is still there.  

My photos of that section are here.

http://nepaview.piczo.com/?g=48638973&cr=4

atlpete
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #7 on: Sep 14th, 2008, 12:49am »

The Laurel Line in it's classic incarnation is as long gone as the PE or North Shore, and I agree it was a great line however it has nowhere near the following needed to support a forum as you'll note many significantly larger Class ones have few if any forums and often if they do they are poorly utilized and/or visited, have become "ghost" or "museum" sites to use some out of date browser slang.

Still though, a great road and I would sincerely love to see a good well ilustrated history of it from CERA or maybe a color review from Morning Sun if indeed there was enough available material.  

Not to argue aesthetics or subjective taste, but merely an estimation of viablity.

grvolans
Railfan

« Reply #8 on: Sep 14th, 2008, 11:42am »

I wonder if the great Ed Miller could answer some ?'s

Warren_Thompson
Historian

« Reply #9 on: Sep 14th, 2008, 12:26pm »

on Sep 14th, 2008, 12:49am, atlpete wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Still though, a great road and I would sincerely love to see a good well ilustrated history of it from CERA ....

A history of this line has been available for a goodly number of years. See James N.J. Henwood & John C. Muncie, Laurel Line: An Anthracite Region Railway. 1986.

« Last Edit: Sep 14th, 2008, 6:26pm by Warren_Thompson » Logged
atlpete
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #10 on: Sep 14th, 2008, 11:39pm »

Thanks for the post Warren, I will look for it.

electro soundwave
Historian

« Reply #11 on: Sep 14th, 2008, 11:48pm »

if i may get off topic for a minute,

Mike, who runs the portions marked Active in your map?

SCL/L&N Family Lines
The Southern Serves The South
mike_nepa
Historian

« Reply #12 on: Sep 16th, 2008, 9:46am »

on Sep 14th, 2008, 12:26pm, Warren_Thompson wrote:       (Click here for original message)

A history of this line has been available for a goodly number of years. See James N.J. Henwood & John C. Muncie, Laurel Line: An Anthracite Region Railway. 1986.

I have that book and it is excellent!

Mike

mike_nepa
Historian

« Reply #13 on: Sep 16th, 2008, 10:03am »

on Sep 14th, 2008, 11:48pm, electro soundwave wrote:       (Click here for original message)
if i may get off topic for a minute,

Mike, who runs the portions marked Active in your map?

We looked at the area two times, 2005 and 2008. At first it seems the Delaware-Lackawanna services the Minooka branch using the same tracks as the Electric City Trolley museum does. I bought an updated copy of the SPV atlas and it now shows the tracks from Hillside Junction to Virgina are active by the Luzurne & Susquehanna railway. We did look at that section this past March and the concrete barriers blocking the tracks across Montage Mtn rd have been removed, but we saw no signs of work being done to that section of track. What we did find is the bridge over Springbrook (at hillside junction) had work done to it both on the middle support and the deck.  

From looking and photographing the section, I would still say the Delaware-Lackawanna services the branch line. Perhaps there are plans to restore that section from Hillside up? The tracks even this year are not too bad.

Photoset of that area is here.

http://nepaview.piczo.com/?g=13728069&cr=4

Andyt293
Historian

« Reply #14 on: Sep 18th, 2008, 10:49pm »

on Sep 13th, 2008, 6:56pm, mike_nepa wrote:       (Click here for original message)

My photos of that section are here.

http://nepaview.piczo.com/?g=48638973&cr=4

Mike, great pictures.  One note, though, I am 99% certain that the Minooka Branch was powered strictly via overhead wire and not by third rail right from the get go.  I believe it was a combination of cost and safety reasons.  

The Delaware-Lackawanna services the Minooka Branch.  Originally it was served for a while by the Luzerne and Susquehanna in the late 90's.

« Last Edit: Sep 18th, 2008, 10:53pm by Andyt293 » Logged

If I stand in Grandma's back yard in Georgetown and close my eyes real tight, I can still hear CNJ freights grinding up the backtrack......and smell the smoke from the brake shoes of a Tuscan Century 628 as it leads NE-84 through Georgetown Interlocking on its way to a meet with the D&H at W-B.....
mike_nepa
Historian

« Reply #15 on: Sep 23rd, 2008, 9:16am »

on Sep 18th, 2008, 10:49pm, Andyt293 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Mike, great pictures.  One note, though, I am 99% certain that the Minooka Branch was powered strictly via overhead wire and not by third rail right from the get go.  I believe it was a combination of cost and safety reasons.  

The Delaware-Lackawanna services the Minooka Branch.  Originally it was served for a while by the Luzerne and Susquehanna in the late 90's.

When we were there we followed the old L&WV alignment, to where it is cut off by Montage Mtn Rd. We were surprised to see any trackage left of the old alignment. We did not follow the Minooka Branch, but if we do find our way there again, we can look for signs of the old overhead wires.  

The old L&WV alignment as shown in my photoset we saw signs of 3rd rail and overhead wire use.  

Mike

grvolans
Railfan

« Reply #16 on: Oct 21st, 2008, 4:19pm »

Hi guys. My Dad and I walked the old Laurel Line from Rocky Glen to Virginia. Found old signal bases, a rusted brake shoe and a rusted spring from either Eirie or LL cars. Actually found a 100% complete third rail insulator. Brought it home to display in my trainroom.

mike_nepa
Historian

« Reply #17 on: Oct 21st, 2008, 7:15pm »

Nice find! I found one on the very same section and it is intact except for a small piece missing in the bottom. Those aren't easy to lug home.  

Mike

grvolans
Railfan

« Reply #18 on: Oct 22nd, 2008, 4:45pm »

Hi Mike. No it wasn't easy to lug home. Had to carry it almost a mile to the car. Was worth it. Any way into Connell Junction?

mike_nepa
Historian
  100_3280_Small.jpg - 117727 Bytes
« Reply #19 on: Oct 22nd, 2008, 7:17pm »

on Oct 22nd, 2008, 4:45pm, grvolans wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Hi Mike. No it wasn't easy to lug home. Had to carry it almost a mile to the car. Was worth it. Any way into Connell Junction?

Usually when I head to Connell Junction I park at River st and head south on the old Erie line. Past Mile Marker #13 there is a path to the right that takes you down to the Laurel Line via the old "cut off" line. Another path off the Erie is this photo. This apparently is the remains of a power line pole and you can see a path that will take you down towards the Laurel line near Connell Junction. If you walk too far along the Erie you will be too high above the Laurel Line. This page on my site shows the paths better.

http://nepaview.piczo.com/?g=48860006&cr=4

Mike

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/ffgeneral/100_3280_Small.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  ...  20 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »