Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Sep 23rd, 2017, 9:42pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Shore Fast Line U30B, August 1988
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   Fallen Shortlines
(Moderator: Henry)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Shore Fast Line U30B, August 1988  (Read 463 times)
A-townbranchfan
Historian
View Profile  

DSC00026_763x509.jpg - 78210 Bytes
« on: Jan 13th, 2011, 1:23am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I'm looking for help in identifying the location and business where I photographed this Fast Shore Line U-boat back in August of 1988.  The bridge in the distance is the Garden State Parkway, slightly south of the interchange with the Atlantic City Expressway.  The view was facing west.  The track used to continue beyond the bridge but by the time I took these pictures, the line was abandoned beyond this point.  I'd appreciate any information anyone has regarding this branch (who operated it originally and where did it run to and from) and whether this industry is still serviced by rail and, if so, who is the current carrier?  Thanks for any information offered.  -- Mark

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/fallenshorts/DSC00026_763x509.jpg
Click Image to Resize

A-townbranchfan
Historian
View Profile  

Re: Shore Fast Line U30B, August 1988
  DSC00024_763x509.jpg - 79749 Bytes
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13th, 2011, 1:28am »

Here's a view facing east.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/fallenshorts/DSC00024_763x509.jpg
Click Image to Resize

A-townbranchfan
Historian
View Profile  

DSC00025_763x509.jpg - 85497 Bytes
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13th, 2011, 1:32am »

Here's more of a side view.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/fallenshorts/DSC00025_763x509.jpg
Click Image to Resize

A-townbranchfan
Historian
View Profile  

DSC00030_763x509.jpg - 76476 Bytes
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13th, 2011, 1:38am »

And finally, another head-on shot.
Again, I'd appreciate the name of the industry being serviced and the name of the town where it's located... as well as the current status of the line and its origin.  Thanks!   -- Mark

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/fallenshorts/DSC00030_763x509.jpg
Click Image to Resize

WVTransplant

View Profile  

« Reply #4 on: Jan 13th, 2011, 3:20am »

Using Bing Maps, put that lat/long into the search box, and use the "Bird's Eye" view to zoom in.

Today it looks to be Penn-Jersey materials: http://www.penn-jersey.net/

Not sure what it was back when.

The line is operated by Southern RR Co. of NJ (SRNJ); Shore Fast Line was its precursor.

Quote:
Winslow is the main base of operations for the SRNJ. There is a small yard office located here. From Winslow the SRNJ serves the old CNJ line into Vineland, NJ and operates on NJT's Atlantic City Line into Pleasantville, NJ. There is an interchange on the former Conrail Beesley Point Secondary line for the RR. This line is served by local WPCA-51. Cars on this branch of the line for the SRNJ range from Box Cars and Center Beam Cars (all for lumber) and Aggregate Hoppers. There are 2 businesses that receive stone on the RR. Also located in Winslow is a loading dock/dry transfer facility for businesses not located on the RR. The SRNJ also stores cars on the old CNJ line for businesses in South Jersey until they are needed.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vzet22j7/id2.html

As for the unit you photographed:

Quote:
2875 - GE U30B - 400 HP - Blt. 1967 - Ex-Shore Fast Lines #2875, nee-Conrail #2875, nee-PC #2875. Unit was retired and scrapped

http://mysite.verizon.net/vzet22j7/id1.html

« Last Edit: Jan 13th, 2011, 3:40am by WVTransplant » Logged
A-townbranchfan
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #5 on: Jan 14th, 2011, 11:40pm »

WVTransplant: Again I wish to thank you for helping me out with information I was seeking regarding pictures I took years ago.  You're obviously much better than I when it comes to searching for things via the Internet.  Again, thanks so much for your help.
If anybody else has any photos of the former Shore Fast Line, I'd love to see them.  I'd also be interested in seeing shots of this industry being serviced by the current carrier.  Please feel free to add to this thread.  Thanks to all. -- Mark

WVTransplant

View Profile  

« Reply #6 on: Jan 15th, 2011, 1:18am »

After thoroughly enjoying your Allentown photos but not being able to contribute any of my own (grew up much farther north), it's the least I could do.

A-townbranchfan
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #7 on: Jan 18th, 2011, 12:01am »

Just a heads up for those familiar with this line, I've posted a half-dozen or so shots I took this same day along the abandoned branch which ran into Ocean City, NJ.  They include several pictures of the old Crook Horn moveable through-truss bridge which sat along the outskirts of town.  If interested, you'll find the thread under Fallen Flags General Discussions.  As always, please feel free to post your own comments, stories or photos which you may have.  --Mark

Andy_S
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #8 on: Jan 24th, 2011, 4:20pm »

The view of Penn Jersey materials was taken from Fire Rd.  There is no "exempt" sign at the crossing, but it looked like those rails have not been used in a couple years.  The tracks are still there for another 1/4 mile past the plant.  The line crosses Tilton Rd (Atlantic County Rte 563), and the rails are visible through the asphalt.  On the other side of Tilton Rd, though, the ROW has become a rail-trail, the Atlantic County Bikeway.  Predecessors of the line were in no particular order, West Jersey RR, West Jersey & Seashore, Penn-Reading Seashore lines.  I don't think the line from Tilton Rd west ever came under Penn Central;  service ended 1966?

A-townbranchfan
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #9 on: Jan 25th, 2011, 12:33pm »

Andy_S: Thanks so much for the update, though I'm really sorry to hear the images I captured over 22-years ago are no longer possible.  Another example of how important it is to capture action along a branchline on film (or digital chip) whenever possible.  What's here today is too often gone tomorrow.
At least I now know that I'll no longer have to strain my neck to see if there are any freight cars sitting along the plant siding as I cross over the tracks while driving down the Garden State Parkway on my way to Avalon.  Thanks again for your update!  -- Mark

NHIWW
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #10 on: May 5th, 2011, 12:13am »

2875 was part of the McHugh fleet for the NH&I...there are pictures of it in service in that paint scheme, minus lettering, hauling NH&I trains. It was known as the 401 prior to its operation on the Shore Fast Line...which I believe McHugh was part of.

NEFAN
Historian
View Profile  

NHI_U30B_401_New_Hope_Pa_113086.jpg - 42131 Bytes
« Reply #11 on: Jun 18th, 2011, 12:44pm »

McHugh bros did have an interest in the SFL. Here is the 401 on the NH&I in the McHugh bros scheme. I'm not sure where the #2875 came from. One possibility is that it is the original Conrail number.

Unfortunately I never got down to S. Jersey much so I missed the SFL operations.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/fallenshorts/NHI_U30B_401_New_Hope_Pa_113086.jpg
Click Image to Resize

A-townbranchfan
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #12 on: Jun 18th, 2011, 11:41pm »

Thanks for the additional post, NEFAN.  Any idea as to when you photographed her on the New Hope & Ivyland?   -- Mark

NEFAN
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #13 on: Jun 19th, 2011, 12:03pm »

Mark - this is November of "86. It was always a head scratcher for me as to why they bought such big power for a shortline like the NH&I. Possibly in anticipation of additional operations suchh as SFL.

Hulka
Railfan

« Reply #14 on: Aug 26th, 2011, 9:05pm »

I thought I had posted a B/W picture from behind Mino's bakery that my dad had taken when we were kids on here but doing a search I can not locate it.  

Hulka
Railfan

« Reply #15 on: Aug 26th, 2011, 10:09pm »

OK, found it.  

http://forums.railfan.net/forums.cgi?board=GenShorts;action=display;num=1143904705

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »