Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jul 23rd, 2017, 6:37pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

N&B / Horwith RR Pics from 1986-1988
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   Fallen Shortlines
(Moderator: Henry)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: N&B / Horwith RR Pics from 1986-1988  (Read 251 times)
A-townbranchfan
Historian
View Profile  

DSC00001_763x509.jpg - 72024 Bytes
« on: Dec 1st, 2010, 10:41am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Posting many slides I had of the former LV branches in Allentown (see Fallen Flags / Lehigh Valley / Allentown Branchlines) got me digging through some other shots I took of little-used tracks around the area over 20 years ago.  Here's a shot I took in August, 1986 of the old N&B box down near the Northampton water treatment plant.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/fallenshorts/DSC00001_763x509.jpg
Click Image to Resize

A-townbranchfan
Historian
View Profile  

Re: N&B / Horwith RR Pics from 1986-1988
  DSC00002_763x509.jpg - 92773 Bytes
« Reply #1 on: Dec 1st, 2010, 10:58am »

Unfortunately, I'd never really been too familiar with the Northampton & Bath RR... having grown up in the west end of Allentown, but I had noticed on previous drives through the area that the turnout leading to the N&B from the former CNJ main (under the Coplay-Northampton Bridge) had previously been removed.  Much to my surprise, while taking a bike ride one Sunday morning in August, 1986, I noticed the turnout was back in place.  When I got home, I grabbed my camera, drove to Northampton, parked in the back of the pharmacy's lot, and began hiking along the tracks toward the old Atlas Cement Co plant.  When I got to the bottom of the hill and proceeded into the old plant, I found several guys working on replacing old tracks.  They told me Horwith Trucking Co. was now using the facility and they were working on replacing sections of the old N&B so they could be used again.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/fallenshorts/DSC00002_763x509.jpg
Click Image to Resize

A-townbranchfan
Historian
View Profile  

DSC00003_763x509.jpg - 51072 Bytes
« Reply #2 on: Dec 1st, 2010, 11:05am »

Over the following couple of years I returned to the area from time to time.  I got to know one of the workers who operated the rebuilt RS Horwith was using and "Keith" let me shoot pictures without any problems.  On a cloudy day in September, 1986, I took this picture of their engine parked along a warehouse being used by a brick company at the time.  The boxcars were loaded with many pallets of bricks shipped up from the south.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/fallenshorts/DSC00003_763x509.jpg
Click Image to Resize

A-townbranchfan
Historian
View Profile  

DSC00004_763x509.jpg - 78054 Bytes
« Reply #3 on: Dec 1st, 2010, 11:12am »

During a return trip to the area on 07/16/1988, I was surprised to find two dead Alcos (once used by the Upper Merion & Plymouth RR) sitting on a siding across from where the previous photo was taken.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/fallenshorts/DSC00004_763x509.jpg
Click Image to Resize

A-townbranchfan
Historian
View Profile  

DSC00005_763x509.jpg - 68964 Bytes
« Reply #4 on: Dec 1st, 2010, 11:24am »

This view, looking south, south-west, shows the same two units but gives a better view of some of the structures which used to exist in that area of the former Atlas plant.  Today, the tree-covered hill in the distance is covered with homes, very close to the start of the Northampton & Bath rail-trail.  You can also drive very close to this spot on one of the more recent roads Northampton built in the area, though the buildings shown no longer stand and the track arrangement inside the now fenced-in plant is far different than what is pictured here.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/fallenshorts/DSC00005_763x509.jpg
Click Image to Resize

A-townbranchfan
Historian
View Profile  

DSC00006_763x509.jpg - 57667 Bytes
« Reply #5 on: Dec 1st, 2010, 11:37am »

My final posting from that same day in July, 1988, shows a dirtier Horwith RS spotting a string of covered hoppers next to the old cement silos once used by Atlas. The train is sitting on the same track which was being repaired in the second picture I posted from August of 1986.

Hope you've enjoyed my little tour from the past.  Only sorry I don't have any shots of N&B engines along the line.  By the way, I once saw two Conrail engines sitting up behind the pharmacy but it was in the early evening and I didn't have a camera with me.  If anybody has any shots they'd like to share taken along this part of the former N&B, possibly up by the grade crossing in front of the pharmacy, please post away as I'd love to see them!   -- Mark

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/fallenshorts/DSC00006_763x509.jpg
Click Image to Resize

NS3360
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #6 on: Dec 1st, 2010, 3:56pm »

Mark, great classic photos of the NDC RR's early years! I railfanned the NDC a lot a few years ago, and so much has changed between then and now. But I have never seen shots from the '80s before the Atlas area was reconfigured. Looking at your photos, things have really changed since back then! Thanks for posting.  

Bryan

Moderates: Traction, ALCO, GVT Short Lines, Short Lines

A-townbranchfan
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #7 on: Dec 8th, 2010, 11:32am »

I just discovered yesterday that a thread on the N.D.C. had been started several years ago and recently had some new postings added.  Anyone interested in this line should head to Regionals & Shortlines / Short Lines (general discussion) / N.D.C. Railroad.  I've add more of my early photos there.  You'll also find some newer things shot along the line, as well as a wonderful posting of the old Atlas Cement Co. shot from the air... thanks to railfan one87th.  That photo appears on page 11.  --Mark

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »