Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Sep 26th, 2017, 3:45pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Pic of Ironton #751 re-numbered by CONRAIL!!!!
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   Fallen Shortlines
(Moderator: Henry)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Pic of Ironton #751 re-numbered by CONRAIL!!!!  (Read 419 times)
IRR
Historian
View Profile  

cr8354_ex_Ironton_751.jpg - 32246 Bytes
« on: Sep 25th, 2010, 2:51am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I found this pic a while ago but unfortunately i lost the web address.. It shows 751 with a rather hastily applied CR and a number of 8354...Most info i found tells me she served out her years in full IRONTON paint but this pic seems  to show otherwise.....

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/fallenshorts/cr8354_ex_Ironton_751.jpg
Click Image to Resize

darktown2
Historian
View Profile  

Re: Pic of Ironton #751 re-numbered by CONRAIL!!!!

« Reply #1 on: Sep 27th, 2010, 8:10pm »

Boy I thought the same thing. I would have bet it never received a CR number. Was happy to pull the builders plate before it went for scrap.The guys I worked with asked, "what do you want with that hunk of iron". Sorry I did not take the number boards as well.    Thanks for the photo.  Take err easy  Keith

IRR
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #2 on: Sep 28th, 2010, 1:56am »

†Keith would you happen to know where #751 was scrapped at? I heard mention she ended up in the Altoona deadlines... Maybe that's when and where the CR ing was done (Though i can't imagine why Conrail would renumber a loco just to cut it up soon afterwards)...Also Could ya post a pic of the builder's plate please? I'd love to see it!!

« Last Edit: Sep 28th, 2010, 2:42am by IRR » Logged
darktown2
Historian
View Profile  

751.jpg - 43120 Bytes
« Reply #3 on: Oct 1st, 2010, 10:29am »

That photo almost looks like it woud be at VN in Allentown yard. I have no idea if everything went to Altoona before each engine was retired. Here is a shot of the builders plate.  Enjoy.  Keith

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/fallenshorts/751.jpg
Click Image to Resize

IRR
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #4 on: Oct 1st, 2010, 5:34pm »

Awesome pic Keith..Great to see something of 751 survives!   ....Though i did hear that the 750 was converted into a slug after being sold to the Patapsco and Back Rivers railroad....Gotta do some research that  

RRG2

« Reply #5 on: Oct 1st, 2010, 10:30pm »

so this was renumbered and they forgot to paint out the lower radidator 751 number? not to mention the number board?

EACH DAY IS A GIFT....NOT A GIVEN RIGHT
irn750

View Profile  

« Reply #6 on: Oct 1st, 2010, 11:04pm »

The 751 was never offically renumbered.  An Allentown area railfan made up his own Conrail numbers for the the 751 and taped them to the side of the engine at Allentown and took the above shot.  Then removed the numbers. Thats why you still see the  751 on the nose and under the Conrail number

RRG2

Scan2009-1.jpg - 27293 Bytes
« Reply #7 on: Oct 2nd, 2010, 8:40am »

Kinda what I thought or it was photo shopped,thanks Danny. I shot her with a fresh CR RS-11 in  Bethlehem many years ago.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/fallenshorts/Scan2009-1.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Oct 2nd, 2010, 8:58am by RRG2 » Logged

EACH DAY IS A GIFT....NOT A GIVEN RIGHT
IRR
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #8 on: Oct 2nd, 2010, 11:12am »

Sweet Pic RRG2!I love the contrast of the Reading Green with the Conrail Blue RS...LOVE EARLY CONRAIL PICS!!!That makes perfect sense...thanks for the correction irn750...It now makes more sense to me because I can't imagine Conrail would've wasted paint on an engine that was going to be scrapped anyways.....Funny how a railfan would make up CR numbers for a loco in the early Conrail era...I've seen photos from that era where the black CR over-painting was removed from Locos to reveal their original heralds....... I only Wish the site that posted that pic would've mentioned a railfan renumbered the 751... I feel like a GRADE "A" idiot now!!!LOL!!! †Man i LOVE/HATE the internet!!!

« Last Edit: Oct 2nd, 2010, 11:41am by IRR » Logged
IRR
Historian
View Profile  

Could Ironton 750 still survive?
  100057.jpg - 78160 Bytes
« Reply #9 on: Oct 2nd, 2010, 11:24am »

..And also on the topic of IRR Baldwins... In the NRHS book "Railroads In The Lehigh River Valley" it mentions that Ironton #750 was sold to the Patapsco and Back Rivers Railroad and became their 348..Well a quick trip to Railroad Picture Archives found this..With the "v-shaped" rain gutters it would appear to be of Reading heritage...Could this be the ONLY surviving Ironton Baldwin..You be the judge..(Photo was taken in 2006) †Here's the photo and the link † † † † † http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=299074 † †

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/fallenshorts/100057.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Oct 3rd, 2010, 11:10am by IRR » Logged
A-townbranchfan
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #10 on: Nov 14th, 2010, 1:38pm »

For those interested, I've just posted a few shots of the 751 in service on the West End branch in Allentown under Fallen Flags, Lehigh Valley, Allentown branchlines.  They were taken by local rail photographer, Bob Wilt in December, 1976.  Enjoy!

rdg_5308
Enthusiast
View Profile  

Re: Could Ironton 750 still survive?

« Reply #11 on: Dec 5th, 2010, 10:58pm »

on Oct 2nd, 2010, 11:24am, IRR wrote:       (Click here for original message)
..And also on the topic of IRR Baldwins... In the NRHS book "Railroads In The Lehigh River Valley" it mentions that Ironton #750 was sold to the Patapsco and Back Rivers Railroad and became their 348..Well a quick trip to Railroad Picture Archives found this..With the "v-shaped" rain gutters it would appear to be of Reading heritage...Could this be the ONLY surviving Ironton Baldwin..You be the judge..(Photo was taken in 2006) †Here's the photo and the link † † † † † http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=299074 † †

The 750 was sold in the late 1980ís to Ed Striegel of Striegel Equipment & Supply fame. †I have a photo of it somewhere in that timeframe missing trucks. †I donít believe it ever left Sparrows Point though and was just scrapped on site. †The P&BR was pretty much only using EMDís or the EMD re-engined Baldwinís in the early 1990ís. †Ed Striegel had purchased whatever remaining P&BR Baldwins were there. †It was from this group that Mr. Striegel †donated †ex-RDG #702 to the RCT&HS.

« Last Edit: Dec 5th, 2010, 11:23pm by rdg_5308 » Logged
IRR
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #12 on: Jan 4th, 2011, 3:35pm »

Thanx for the information  rdg_5308 ... I Would LOVE to see your photo of the 750 even in that condition.... Unfortunately it  would seem the only piece of an Ironton Baldwin left is Keith's builders plate ( and I'm Glad he saved it!!!!!  ) from the 751....What i learned from this thread is the dangers of believing everything ya find on the NET!!!!!!!... †(grins sheepishly..... )

« Last Edit: Jan 4th, 2011, 3:39pm by IRR » Logged
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »