Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jul 21st, 2017, 2:43pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Ironton railroad r.o.w. to Orefield
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   Fallen Shortlines
(Moderator: Henry)
   Ironton railroad r.o.w. to Orefield
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Ironton railroad r.o.w. to Orefield  (Read 692 times)
one87th
Railfan
View Profile  

Re: Ironton railroad r.o.w. to Orefield
  Orefield_area_5-29-39_with_Ironton_RR_wye.jpg - 203196 Bytes
« Reply #20 on: Jan 1st, 2011, 12:52pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

on May 18th, 2010, 12:34pm, IRR wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Going back in time thanks to Penn Pilot and we're on survey flight for the US Department of Agriculture on 5-29-1939... I highlighted the IRR ..The PA turnpike (one of the main reasons for the lines abandonment)  has not been built yet...

IRR,
Thought you would find this interesting....
on the location of the old Ironton right-of-way on your Penn Pilot map, there was also a wye for turning engines. I've highlighted the location in blue. Also note the location of the right-of-way to the right. The jog was caused by the line being relocated for a mine pit.

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (203196 bytes, 1080x984 pixels)

Click Here to View Image Orefield_area_5-29-39_with_Ironton_RR_wye.jpg - 203196 Bytes

IRR
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #21 on: Jan 4th, 2011, 3:02pm »

In this current aerial view from Bing Maps you can clearly see the jog in the ex Ironton r.o.w. (now an access road) and the quarry (now water filled)  that caused it's relocation   http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=qs6gp68q271m&lvl=17&dir=0&sty=b            I'm amazed how much stuff i still have to learn bout my favorite fallen shortline.

« Last Edit: Jan 4th, 2011, 3:20pm by IRR » Logged
IRR
Historian
View Profile  

Orefield_1939_771x504.jpg - 77139 Bytes
« Reply #22 on: Jan 4th, 2011, 3:23pm »

When i was looking at the jog in the IRR main ( ty one87th!) i noticed a tree line aiming towards a quarry.. Could this quarry have been served by the Ironton?

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/fallenshorts/Orefield_1939_771x504.jpg
Click Image to Resize

one87th
Railfan
View Profile  

Balliet.jpg - 26187 Bytes
« Reply #23 on: Jan 5th, 2011, 12:39am »

on Jan 4th, 2011, 3:23pm, IRR wrote:       (Click here for original message)
When i was looking at the jog in the IRR main ( ty one87th!) i noticed a tree line aiming towards a quarry.. Could this quarry have been served by the Ironton?

Yes, that tree line was a branch to that quarry. That quarry branch shows up on some of my early topo maps.
I've attached a photo of the "Balliet" section of the Orefield branch from the 1911 Ironton map that hangs in the Whitehall Township municipal building.
You can see where the track was rerouted when the Balliet mine (shown in your Bing arial photo) and Henninger mine (site of today's Iron Lakes country club) were excavated.
At the right leg of the wye you can also see the start of the branch that leads to your quarry in question. That quarry would have been located on the Thomas Iron Company's Levan Farm property. Not sure why the complete branch and quarry are not shown on this map.... I'm assuming they were both abandoned by this date.
Throughout the history of the Ironton, a number of small branches were built and later abandoned; and there were a number of line relocations to make way for new or expanding quarries/mines.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/fallenshorts/Balliet.jpg
Click Image to Resize

CandF
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #24 on: Mar 21st, 2011, 9:46am »

I can offer some clarification on some of the questions raised earlier.

The line past Siegersville to the quarry (now the Parkland SD environmental lab..aka, "The Jungle") still appears on a map from 1876.

In regards to the Slatington Trolly line crossing of the railroad on the north side of Orefield Rd., this was not at grade, but rather the trolley on a bridge over top of the railroad.  This was verified with a property owner in that area.  This makes sense if you see the cut that the railroad went through behind the white garage.

IRR
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #25 on: Mar 23rd, 2011, 11:47am »

Are their any visible remains of the trolley bridge? I've been wanting to explore the cut area but haven't gotten around to it yet...

CandF
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #26 on: Mar 25th, 2011, 8:00am »

I'm not sure if anything is left of the bridge supports.  There are two bridge supports still in tact on the Slatington trolley line north/west of Greenawalds, at the Jordan Creek crossing (just east of Guth's covered bridge) and at a small drainage along Iron Bridge Rd. west of the Iron Bridge tunnels.

Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »