Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Sep 26th, 2017, 1:37am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Ironton RR whistle sign
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   Fallen Shortlines
(Moderator: Henry)
   Ironton RR whistle sign
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Ironton RR whistle sign  (Read 255 times)
IRR
Historian
View Profile  

Ironton RR whistle sign
  IRR_43_Close-up_of_whistle_sign_800x600.jpg - 70842 Bytes
« on: Mar 26th, 2010, 3:10am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Any idea why they cut this sign down like this? the bolts suggest to me that something was bolted to it...there was another one like this along the IRR...

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/fallenshorts/IRR_43_Close-up_of_whistle_sign_800x600.jpg
Click Image to Resize

one87th
Railfan
View Profile  

Re: Ironton RR whistle sign

« Reply #1 on: May 30th, 2010, 1:56am »

on Mar 26th, 2010, 3:10am, IRR wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Any idea why they cut this sign down like this? the bolts suggest to me that something was bolted to it...there was another one like this along the IRR...

The original whistle sign was a complete round circle (painted white), with the letter "W" cut out of it.
What you are seeing is the remains of a sign, the top of which has been broken off either by age (rust) or vandalism.

The Scyther
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #2 on: Jun 5th, 2010, 3:29pm »

I remember twenty years ago back when I was 6 there being another whistle sign across from the one in the picture. There was also a private crossing sign there on the south end of the tracks because of the farmer needing to get over the tracks from one field to the other. The houses in the picture were a field back then. That was back when the railroad bed of cinder rock was still there. You can still see at that spot where the private crossing was by the slope that is on either side of the trail.

« Last Edit: Jun 5th, 2010, 3:30pm by The Scyther » Logged

One day I shall be a Lighthouse Keeper on a small grassy island in a remote part of a sea in Heaven for eternity. Thankyou God for giving me that oppurtunity.

IRR
Historian
View Profile  

IRR_sign_1_800x600.jpg - 52337 Bytes
« Reply #3 on: Jun 8th, 2010, 9:15pm »

A good (now deceased) friend of mine "LIBERATED" this IRR whistle sign LONG before the rail-trail was developed and gave it to me.This shows the same modifications as the still-standing sign does.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/fallenshorts/IRR_sign_1_800x600.jpg
Click Image to Resize

IRR
Historian
View Profile  

IRR_sign_2_640x619.jpg - 43316 Bytes
« Reply #4 on: Jun 8th, 2010, 9:21pm »

In this zoom you can see slag along the cut line..My guess from an Oxy-acetylene torch.The bolt holes are also torch-cut and oddly shaped. My theory was some sort of sign was bolted to the cut-down whistle sign. The surviving intact IRR whistle signs don't exhibit these bolts

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/fallenshorts/IRR_sign_2_640x619.jpg
Click Image to Resize

IRR
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #5 on: Jun 8th, 2010, 9:39pm »

on Jun 5th, 2010, 3:29pm, Ironton wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I remember twenty years ago back when I was 6 there being another whistle sign across from the one in the picture. There was also a private crossing sign there on the south end of the tracks because of the farmer needing to get over the tracks from one field to the other. The houses in the picture were a field back then. That was back when the railroad bed of cinder rock was still there. You can still see at that spot where the private crossing was by the slope that is on either side of the trail.

I remember the private crossing sign back when the Ironton rails were still in place but weed covered..Should've  "LIBERATED"  the private crossing sign back then.It disappeared when the tracks were torn up.Here's a story for ya... My late friend and i were walking on the Ironton at the time when the rails were being ripped up.. In the Biery yard area we found an upright switch stand (similar to this image from Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/23056599@N00/255221320/     ) It still had the red and white metal "flags"  on it with very well preserved paint.. So we drag this HEAVY s.o.b. for a MILE PLUS to down behind the IRR office building and walk to his house on Second St in Coplay to get his dad to bring his truck down to get it..Well wouldn't ya know in the 20  or so minutes it took us to get to his house and have his dad drive us back some !@@$#$%^!!!!!!  person STOLE OUR STOLEN SWITCH STAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

one87th
Railfan
View Profile  

WhisSign_coplay84_01.jpg - 94553 Bytes
« Reply #6 on: Jun 12th, 2010, 3:42am »

Attached is a photo taken in 1984 of an intact original Ironton RR whistle sign that was located next to the site of the Coplay cement kilns and protected the Coplay Road crossing. Track is buried in weeds at right.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/fallenshorts/WhisSign_coplay84_01.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Jun 12th, 2010, 3:52am by one87th » Logged
one87th
Railfan
View Profile  

Coplay_switchst84.jpg - 153689 Bytes
« Reply #7 on: Jun 12th, 2010, 3:54am »

Also, since the topic was brought up, here is a photo of an Ironton switchstand taken at the Coplay Cement mill C in 1984.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/fallenshorts/Coplay_switchst84.jpg
Click Image to Resize

IRR
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #8 on: Jun 12th, 2010, 11:44am »

Cool pics One87th!!!! I remember seeing that very whistle sign every year at Community Days..You could see it from that gravel "Crossing" they laid across the tracks so people could get to the Saylor Cement Museum..The last intact  Ironton whistle sign i saw was at the Giant Cement plant in Egypt..I saw it in the ninties when me and my friends were back there exploring (This was not long after Essroc stopped loading trucks from the tall silos ). Well about a week or so later we went back to the Giant for  some more exploring and i brought along a hack saw to ...um... "LIBERATE" the sign....Well my luck someone else got it before me..I think every last whistle sign  ended up in someone's private collection!!! LOL!!!!

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »