Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 23rd, 2017, 4:11am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

The Susquehanna & New York Railroad
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   Fallen Shortlines
(Moderator: Henry)
   The Susquehanna & New York Railroad
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: The Susquehanna & New York Railroad  (Read 3876 times)
ErieAtlantic7597
Historian
Re: The Susquehanna & New York Railroad

« Reply #60 on: Dec 12th, 2011, 11:52am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Friends,

I just happened to see this thread by accident. And, by accident, I happened to have known a man whos grandfather was president of both the Susquehanna & New York RR along with the Tionesta Valley RR.

His name was Joe Gould. Joe was in his late sixtys when I met him in a model railroad club in Caple Coral, Fl. back in the early seventys when I moved to the Cape Coral/Ft. Myers. area. Joe was a tallented model railroader from the old days. But it was'nt until quite a bit latter that the stories of his grandfather started to emerge. I don't now remember if his grandfather was on his mother's side or his father's side of the family.

He had pictures of himself, as a baby, sitting on the steps of a narrow gauge Tionesta Valley caboose, with the president of the road, his grandfather, holding him up. I have seen that picture, I wish I knew where it is today. He told stories of spending the summers in the hills next to the Susquehanna and New York tracks. And because of his relations, he and his mother would be taken to the nearest town to get food and supplys for the week, in a piece of RR equipment. If my memory servers me right, he said the RR had a Model "T' on rails. That is what was used to bring his mom and himself to the town and back to the cabin in the woods. By rail of course.

Joe is long gone now, and I'm older myself now than how old he was when I met him. I wish I could remember all of the stories that he would tell us about those old days on the Susquehanna and New York RR when his grandfather was the head man.  

Sorry for jumping into this very interesting thread with my long story. I just thought it would be a little interesting considering the main subject here.

Bruce R.  

Aa3rt
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #61 on: Dec 12th, 2011, 5:22pm »

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for your reminiscences-no need to apologize. Yes, the Susquehanna & New York did have a Model T pickup truck with flanged wheels. There's at least one photo of it in Edward L. Kaseman's "Story Of The Susquehanna & New York".  

Copies of this book show up rather frequently on eBay. If you're interested, make sure to get the third edition that was expanded with many more photographs to go along with the series of Pennsylvania logging books by Casler, Kline & Taber.

Mr. Kaseman does not have a comprehensive listing of all of the officers of the railroad but the first president was named C. S. Horton, the last L. C. Warren, who was president from at least 1920 through abandonment in 1942.

Both the S&NY and the Tionesta Valley were owned by the Central Pennsylvania Lumber Company, with the headquarters in Williamsport, PA.

My maternal grandfather (Mother's father) was the eldest son of a Swedish immigrant who came to Pennsylvania when the CPL went to Norway and Sweden recruiting experienced woodsmen to harvest the huge tracts of hemlocks in the northern portion of Pennsylvania. My grandfather grew up around Sheffield, PA, terminus of the Tionesta Valley, and told me of working in the woods loading log cars with nothing but peaveys and manpower.

As the woods played out, he eventually went to Jamestown, NY which I'm sure you'll recognize was on the mainline of the Erie Railroad. He served with the Jamestown Police Department for over 40 years, retiring in 1966. The Erie used to run 3 round trips a day between Jamestown and Buffalo. During prohibition he walked a beat and one of his duties was to meet the trains coming from Buffalo during his shift to watch for bootleggers bringing in alcohol from Canada.

That's a far stretch from the S&NY but thought you might enjoy the Tionesta Valley/Erie Railroad connection. My grandfather has been dead for over 30 years now but there isn't a day that goes by that I don't think of him. I wish I could talk to him again to hear (And record!) some of his tales of working on the Tionesta Valley and meeting the Erie trains.

Art

PS-I noted that the old "disappearing photos" bug reared its ugly head overnight and I've reposted the photos in my previous entries.

« Last Edit: Dec 12th, 2011, 5:25pm by Aa3rt » Logged
ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #62 on: Jan 29th, 2012, 5:55pm »

Friends,

While digging my way out of the rubble that is in my house, I came across some old paperwork from the model RR club from Cape Coral, Fl. from years ago. The name of the man that I mentioned was Joe Gohl. I don't know if this means anything to anyone familiar with the Susquehanna and New York RR or not.

Bruce Ray.

gfluck1
Historian
  Towanda1903_sheet02_-.jpg - 140011 Bytes
« Reply #63 on: Jul 1st, 2013, 8:32am »

Below is the 1903 Sanborn segment of Towanda which shows the S&NY turntable and engine house.

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (140011 bytes, 914x1024 pixels)

Click Here to View Image Towanda1903_sheet02_-.jpg - 140011 Bytes

gfluck1
Historian
  Towanda1903_sheet03_-.jpg - 163425 Bytes
« Reply #64 on: Jul 1st, 2013, 8:41am »

Below is the 1903 Sanborn segment of Towanda, proceeding "North" which shows the LV's, Bowman's Creek Branch passenger station at Washington street.

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (163425 bytes, 914x1024 pixels)

Click Here to View Image Towanda1903_sheet03_-.jpg - 163425 Bytes

« Last Edit: Jul 14th, 2013, 2:34pm by gfluck1 » Logged
gfluck1
Historian
  SNY_105_Monroeton_Circa_1910_854x549.jpg - 75760 Bytes
« Reply #65 on: May 13th, 2015, 7:47am »

Photo below is of S&NY 105 in Monroeton (circa 1910), purchased in 1903 from the Pennsylvania Railroad, a Class A-1 locomotive.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/fallenshorts/SNY_105_Monroeton_Circa_1910_854x549.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Pages: 1 2 3 4  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »