Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 23rd, 2017, 4:14am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

The Susquehanna & New York Railroad
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   Fallen Shortlines
(Moderator: Henry)
   The Susquehanna & New York Railroad
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: The Susquehanna & New York Railroad  (Read 3877 times)
setaf
TRAINing
Re: S&NY Towanda turn table, LV coaling tower locations

« Reply #40 on: Jul 16th, 2010, 1:13pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

on Jul 15th, 2010, 12:49pm, loggingloco wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Does anyone know exactly where the S&NY's Towanda yard trackage and turn table was located?  
  I've been to the Washington St. stations but did not have reference photos with me. Trying to go by my memory of the photos I'm thinking it may be by the Williams(?) propane yard.
  Has anyone tried finding old ICC valuation maps of the area. I've done internet searches and I always come up with nothing.
  I've also tried figuring out and asking around town to see if anyone knows where the LV coaling tower was. It shows up in the background in a few S&NY yard photos.  
Thanks,
John

TB_Diamond
Historian
View Profile  

Re: The Susquehanna & New York Railroad

« Reply #41 on: Jul 16th, 2010, 2:48pm »

The LVRR coaling tower was located west (ETT direction....compass north) of the Towanda station site.  This is now directly in front of the Sylvania security fence. Foundations were still extant ten years ago or so for both the coaling facility and for the water plug.

The S&NY interchange with the LVRR and a small yard was located just compass south of the Towanda station site per a photo on page 63 of Kaseman's book.  

I believe that the S&NY engine service facilities and turntable were located compass south of the Washington St. station and just south of the new Route 6 Susquehanna River bridge, again per Kaseman's book plus info related to me by Herb Trice. Last I knew a junk yard occupied the site, but this was several years ago.

Look homeward, angel- Thomas Wolfe
loggingloco
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #42 on: Jul 17th, 2010, 3:12am »

Hey Thanks!  
  I'll be in that area on the 31st. I'll have to check it out.  

John

clifford1
Chaser

« Reply #43 on: Aug 15th, 2010, 8:08pm »

Hey everyone.  I am also very interested in the S&NY and have done quite a bit of research of the area.  I have determined the GPS coordinates for many area RR locations and relics.  If you have a GPS unit, here are some you may be interested in (note that at some of these locations there are no discernible relics)

S&NY "Armstrong" Turntable, N. Towanda - N 41 46.90  W 076 26.54
LV "Upper" Station, N. Towanda - N 41 47.00 W 076 26.55
LV East Towanda Station Platform - N 41 45.95  W 076 26.21
S&NY S. Towanda Yard Turntable - N 41 45.48  W 076 26.52
LV/S&NY Station, Monroeton - N 41 42.80  W 076 28.61
Remains of S&NY Masontown Bridge -  41 42.43  W 076 29.17

Be sure to check out the Reading and Northern Railroad (ex -Towanda Monroeton Shippers Lifeline) while in Towanda. They are keeping a good portion of the old S&NY alive!

Chris C.

LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #44 on: Nov 14th, 2010, 4:23pm »

Glad I found this thread! I'm interested in the S&NY.My Sister In Law's grandfather Bill is in his nineties,lived in Wyalusing all his life,and he remembers a lot about the RR,even rode it many times.I won't see him till the summer,but if anybody has specific questions,I may be able to get answers.He is getting up in age,and he has some RR stuff,he's given some of it to me.One thing is the softcover book"Story Of The Susquehanna & New York" by Edward L. Kaseman..I haven't gotten a chance to look at it much yet,I've only had it a little while.I'm actually building a small N scale steam RR based on the LV and S&NY logging/ice operations around Lopez.

« Last Edit: Nov 14th, 2010, 7:32pm by LV LOU » Logged

When it hits the fan,be the fan...
loggingloco
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #45 on: Nov 14th, 2010, 4:42pm »

Hi Lou
  If you like the S&NY you really need to see the Bradford County Historical Society's "Laquin Behind the Photographs" program.
  There is another presentaion sometime around now if you haven't just missed it.
 The BCHS book on Barclay Mountain also has tons of info on the railroad.

John

LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #46 on: Nov 14th, 2010, 7:33pm »

on Nov 14th, 2010, 4:42pm, loggingloco wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Hi Lou
  If you like the S&NY you really need to see the Bradford County Historical Society's "Laquin Behind the Photographs" program.
  There is another presentaion sometime around now if you haven't just missed it.
 The BCHS book on Barclay Mountain also has tons of info on the railroad.

John

Hmmm..I looked up their website..It was October 30th..Oh well..

loggingloco
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #47 on: Nov 15th, 2010, 9:58am »

Lou,
  The BCHS has presented that progarm a few times in the past year and probably will again. I don't know about this last presentaion, but all the previous have been very well attended.  
  There was a book put out possibly by Wyoming County Historical Society,I believe titled Ghost Towns of North Mountain. I covers the area in and around Ricketts Glenn State Park; Rickets, Stull, Noxen, Lopez and maybe some others. The book is nolonger available, but it has been converted to electronic format and is available free on the web. Do a web search and you should find it.
  Ghost Towns of Central Pa by Taber is another must have if you are a S&NY fan.
  Could you ask your Sister in laws Grandfather what color S&NY passenger equipmnet was.
  Have you done any exploring along old right LV and S&NY right of ways?  

John  aka loggingloco

LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #48 on: Nov 15th, 2010, 8:16pm »

Hmmm..Actually John,"Ghost Lumber Towns of Central Pennsylvania" is another book he gave me.The cover says it's"book # 3 in a series"..Hmmm...I'll probably see Bill for Xmas,if I do,I'll ask him..I haven't done much more than drive around up there a few afternoons near Lopez.I'm all the way down in Dupont,I don't really even know the area that well..

darktown2
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #49 on: Nov 15th, 2010, 9:49pm »

Hey Lou; Come on up and I will give ya the "roadbed trip". It takes you through a ghost town "Masten" for sure. You can't ride all the roadbed because the state has them blocked in the gamelands west of Wheelerville but you can sure follow a lot of it.   Keith

LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #50 on: Nov 16th, 2010, 12:37am »

Hmmm..I just might take you up on that bud!! I've been meaning to get up to see you.Actually,"Masten" is one of the towns mentioned on the cover of the ghost town book...

loggingloco
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #51 on: Nov 16th, 2010, 7:04am »

If you like "Ghost Lumber Towns of Central Pennsylvania" you would probably like the rest of the books in  The Railroad Era of Lumbering in Pa series.
  Muncy Valley Life Line by Taber is another great book. Is about a competing railroad, The Williamsport and North Branch. It ran south of and roughly parallel to the S&NY but in  Muncy Creek water shed vs the Pleasent Stream and Schrader Creek route of the S&NY.

John
aka loggingloco

on Nov 15th, 2010, 8:16pm, LV LOU wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Hmmm..Actually John,"Ghost Lumber Towns of Central Pennsylvania" is another book he gave me.The cover says it's"book # 3 in a series"..Hmmm...I'll probably see Bill for Xmas,if I do,I'll ask him..I haven't done much more than drive around up there a few afternoons near Lopez.I'm all the way down in Dupont,I don't really even know the area that well..

loggingloco
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #52 on: Nov 16th, 2010, 7:21am »

Hey Keith, how about a group tour.
  I've been from Monroeton to Laquin but really haven't seen much west of Laquin. I camped on State property at Masten about ten years ago, found a railroad spike along the creek. It rusted down to about the thickness of a pencil.
  If you are willing to give tours I'd be interested!
  Speaking of tours, Ricketts Glenn State Park sometimes gives tours of the Ricketts town site. Haven't done it yet. I did contact the park and they can give a short version of the tour if prearranged.
  Maybe we could get a small group of S&NY fans together for a tour.  

John
  aka loggingloco

on Nov 15th, 2010, 9:49pm, darktown2 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Hey Lou; Come on up and I will give ya the "roadbed trip". It takes you through a ghost town "Masten" for sure. You can't ride all the roadbed because the state has them blocked in the gamelands west of Wheelerville but you can sure follow a lot of it.   Keith

loggingloco
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #53 on: Nov 16th, 2010, 11:49am »

Lou there are still some Valley things to see in the area too!
  Towanda has both an LV and S&NY station, New Albany and Dushore both have LV stations. There is an old Valley concrete phone booth on railroad street in Mildred.
 Haven't seen it yet but there is supposed to be a W&NB station near Nordmont and the remains of an old trestle.
  I like to take logging and railroad history books and try to locate the places shown in old photos.
  If I can find the time this winter I'm going to try and follow the old CPL road bed from Ricketts down into Mehopany gorge.  
  John
  aka loggingloco

on Nov 16th, 2010, 12:37am, LV LOU wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Hmmm..I just might take you up on that bud!! I've been meaning to get up to see you.Actually,"Masten" is one of the towns mentioned on the cover of the ghost town book...

TB_Diamond
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #54 on: Nov 16th, 2010, 11:01pm »

Several years ago the State Game Commission used to allow organized group automobile tours of the S&NY r/o/w. Seems the tours were all the way from Wheelerville to Powell. These tours ran once a year if memory serves. My parents resided in Smithfield Twp., Bradford County at the time and took the tour once or twice. Dad gave me the tour guide that was furnished and it included a map of the S&NY as well as a description of each landmark along the way. Alas, I no longer have the guide.

Anyone know if these tours are still conducted?

Look homeward, angel- Thomas Wolfe
vtm
Chaser

« Reply #55 on: Nov 17th, 2010, 7:52am »

on Nov 15th, 2010, 9:49pm, darktown2 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Re: Masten Found on ebay: http://thumbs2.ebaystatic.com/m/mZnW_qy6uDYWnI-c-R_aJJw/140.jpg [u]

VTM

setaf
TRAINing

« Reply #56 on: Nov 17th, 2010, 11:08am »

I believe they still have the tours. It's in the fall and I want to say the first weekend in October, but I could be off by a week.

Aa3rt
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

CRRy119-1.jpg - 20091 Bytes
« Reply #57 on: Dec 11th, 2011, 6:00pm »

After the S&NY was abandoned in 1942, the #119, the 4-6-0 that came from the Huntingdon & Broad Top Mountain languished in Williamsport for a couple of years before being sold to the Clarion River Railway.  

Unfortunately, the firebox had been damaged due to some faulty welding and the locomotive was found to be too heavy for the CR Ry's track. The locomotive was scrapped in 1948 around the time the Clarion River was abandoned.  

Here are 3 views of the 119 sitting in Hallton, PA on the Clarion River's track awaiting a call that would never come. Note the third rail to accomodate the narrow gauge Tionesta Valley that connected with the CR at this location.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/fallenshorts/CRRy119-1.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Dec 12th, 2011, 4:51pm by Aa3rt » Logged
Aa3rt
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

CRRy119-2.jpg - 22288 Bytes
« Reply #58 on: Dec 11th, 2011, 6:04pm »

Second view-I realize that these photos aren't the greatest but they're better than none at all.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/fallenshorts/CRRy119-2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Dec 12th, 2011, 4:51pm by Aa3rt » Logged
Aa3rt
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

CRRy119-3.jpg - 23357 Bytes
« Reply #59 on: Dec 11th, 2011, 6:06pm »

Last view.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/fallenshorts/CRRy119-3.jpg