Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 23rd, 2017, 4:18am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

New England Narrow Gauge
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   Fallen Shortlines
(Moderator: Henry)
   New England Narrow Gauge
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: New England Narrow Gauge  (Read 323 times)
hudsonelectric
Historian
New England Narrow Gauge

« on: Mar 6th, 2006, 7:58am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Many modelers and railfans are familiar with the 2' gauge railroads of Maine, but what about other NG roads throughout New England? A well known 3' operation was the Boston, Revere Beach & Lynn RR, but there were three other NG roads that operated in Massachusetts The railroad that began the 2' gauge trend was the Billerica & Bedford Railroad that operated between those two locations. It was built in 1877 and was dismantled one year later!

Pennsy
Historian
View Profile  

Re: New England Narrow Gauge

« Reply #1 on: Mar 6th, 2006, 10:24am »

Hi Russ,

Don't leave out the Edaville RR. in South Carver, Mass. This is also a two footer. I have ridden the little trains many times and once had the honor and privilege of helping the hostler clean out the firebox. Made the snow really nasty looking.

« Last Edit: Mar 6th, 2006, 10:27am by Pennsy » Logged

Dyed in the wool PRR fan.
Mr. Starr

« Reply #2 on: Aug 10th, 2008, 12:58am »

Gentlemen,

Did we forget the following ..  

2 foot gauge - W.W. & F . RR
2 foot gauge - S.R. & R. L. RR  
2 foot gauge - MONSON RR

These narrow gauge rail lines were in Maine, the last time I checked the state of MAINE is part of New England !!  

Mr. T. Starr

VaPennsyFan
Historian

« Reply #3 on: Aug 10th, 2008, 2:33pm »

on Aug 10th, 2008, 12:58am, Mr. Starr wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Gentlemen,

Did we forget the following ..  

2 foot gauge - W.W. & F . RR
2 foot gauge - S.R. & R. L. RR  
2 foot gauge - MONSON RR

These narrow gauge rail lines were in Maine, the last time I checked the state of MAINE is part of New England !!  

Mr. T. Starr

I think the original point was that most people are familiar with the Maine Narrow Gauge railroads, and not familiar with other narrow gauge operations in New England.

Jon

Everybody talks about the weather, but nobody does anything about it! - Mark Twain

View my photos at RailPictures.Net!
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=22578
Mr. Starr

« Reply #4 on: Aug 10th, 2008, 3:19pm »

Jon -  

Answer this question. Isn't the state of MAINE part of NEW ENGLAND?  

YES  

NO  

VaPennsyFan
Historian

« Reply #5 on: Aug 10th, 2008, 5:09pm »

Mr. Starr,

Yes, Maine is part of New England.  No one is arguing that, and no one is forgetting about the Maine 2-foot gauge railroads.  I refer you again to the original post. Please note the opening sentence . . .

on Mar 6th, 2006, 7:58am, hudsonelectric wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Many modelers and railfans are familiar with the 2' gauge railroads of Maine, but what about other NG roads throughout New England? A well known 3' operation was the Boston, Revere Beach & Lynn RR, but there were three other NG roads that operated in Massachusetts The railroad that began the 2' gauge trend was the Billerica & Bedford Railroad that operated between those two locations. It was built in 1877 and was dismantled one year later!

« Last Edit: Aug 10th, 2008, 5:11pm by VaPennsyFan » Logged

Everybody talks about the weather, but nobody does anything about it! - Mark Twain

View my photos at RailPictures.Net!
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=22578
robertjohndavis
Railfan
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #6 on: Jul 17th, 2010, 12:09am »

on Mar 6th, 2006, 7:58am, hudsonelectric wrote:       (Click here for original message)

In Vermont the Hoosac Tunnel & Wilmington and the West River were both 3 footers. In NH you also had 3 foot rails on the Profile & Franconia Notch.

Ahead of the Torch
http://www.robertjohndavis.com/

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »