Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Sep 26th, 2017, 3:46pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Pics of the Wilkes Barre and Eastern
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   Fallen Shortlines
(Moderator: Henry)
   Pics of the Wilkes Barre and Eastern
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Pics of the Wilkes Barre and Eastern  (Read 3511 times)
mike_nepa
Historian
Re: Pics of the Wilkes Barre and Eastern
  TopoMap-2.jpg - 163322 Bytes
« Reply #80 on: May 11th, 2008, 9:02am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Although now gone, I never did find out what these building remains were. My original topo map showing where they were located. It was just after the tracks split into two sets.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/fallenshorts/TopoMap-2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

mike_nepa
Historian
  100_6339_Small.jpg - 103368 Bytes
« Reply #81 on: May 11th, 2008, 9:03am »

They were made of older type concrete. There had to be around a dozen buildings from what we saw. (these photos were taken two years ago)

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/fallenshorts/100_6339_Small.jpg
Click Image to Resize

mike_nepa
Historian
  100_6352_Small.jpg - 104034 Bytes
« Reply #82 on: May 11th, 2008, 9:03am »

These piers were also a puzzle, we saw signs that tracks could have ran on these ?

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/fallenshorts/100_6352_Small.jpg
Click Image to Resize

mike_nepa
Historian
  100_6366_Small.jpg - 123559 Bytes
« Reply #83 on: May 11th, 2008, 9:05am »

Here you can see the remains of a set of tracks that will merge back into the ones still in place. Whatever this was did have rail service.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/fallenshorts/100_6366_Small.jpg
Click Image to Resize

mike_nepa
Historian
  100_6384_Small.jpg - 108941 Bytes
« Reply #84 on: May 11th, 2008, 9:06am »

At "trackside" you can see where this would have merged back in. Just ahead of this spot the two tracks become one again.  

Anyone know what these buildings were?

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/fallenshorts/100_6384_Small.jpg
Click Image to Resize

LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #85 on: May 11th, 2008, 11:32am »

Mike,Independent Explosive had a battery loco that ran on brass rail,it went all over the property.There were buildings all over where they stored the nitro/black powder/dynamite called magazines,it's very possible that's what the building/tracks were..

When it hits the fan,be the fan...
LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #86 on: May 11th, 2008, 11:55am »

I was just on Penn Pilot[gotta figure out how to link these pics] It shows what actually almost looks like a town there,20-30 buildings,with an extensive RR system that leads up to the Suscon RD WB&E crossing.There's even a wye there for turning a locomotive..

Flemington Flyer
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #87 on: May 11th, 2008, 12:33pm »

Mike, 3rd picture down looks like some kind of coal tressle to me.

FFW-1

One down, one to go.......
CHESSIEMIKE
Historian
View Profile  

East_of_Pittston.jpg - 69649 Bytes
« Reply #88 on: May 11th, 2008, 6:01pm »

on May 11th, 2008, 11:55am, LOU_D wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I was just on Penn Pilot[gotta figure out how to link these pics] It shows what actually almost looks like a town there,20-30 buildings,with an extensive RR system that leads up to the Suscon RD WB&E crossing.There's even a wye there for turning a locomotive..
This was the best I could do for the area.
CHESSIEMIKE

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/fallenshorts/East_of_Pittston.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
CHESSIEMIKE
Historian
View Profile  

Luzerne_S_Curve_Y_HC.jpg - 430500 Bytes
« Reply #89 on: May 11th, 2008, 6:26pm »

Here is an edit of one of the historical photos. Warning, this is a big file!! I wanted to keep the detail.
Here is a link to the whole photo:
http://www.pennpilot.psu.edu/photos1940s/luzerne_1939/luzerne_1939_photos_jpg_800/luzerne_101038_arb_20_64.jpg

CHESSIEMIKE

Image exceeds Forum display limit of 300000 bytes. (430500 bytes, 3811x1856 pixels)

Click Here to View Image Luzerne_S_Curve_Y_HC.jpg - 430500 Bytes

« Last Edit: May 11th, 2008, 6:30pm by CHESSIEMIKE » Logged

Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #90 on: May 12th, 2008, 12:34am »

That's the pic Mike!! I didn't notice the wye on the WB&E just below the Suscon Bridge.If you look to the left of that wye,there's another,much smaller one.Wonder if that's a coal mine? There really weren't that many outside the actuall valley,most were west of say,where 81 is.The coal was actually in slopes that followed the shape of the inside of the mountains,like a giant multi layered bowl.Once you got outside it,the coal ended.That's why the mines are called "slopes" outside the perimiter of the valley.The mines followed the "slope" of the coal down,instead of sinking a shaft.That area seems to be outside the area where a slope would have started,so I kinda wondr if it is a coal mine,or something else..Hey,my house is in that pic!!!

mike_nepa
Historian
  101_1432_Small.jpg - 30574 Bytes
« Reply #91 on: May 12th, 2008, 9:40am »

Here are two photos of a 12 foot long map I have that covers from Nanticoke to Forest City. This first is more an overview of the area. The map was made in 1955 but it shows the abandoned WB&E trackage just before the "WYE"  

The writing is not readable on this image but you can see the Everheart branch that came off the lower part of the reverse 'S' curve. The part that was still in use at the time was called "Westminster Branch" The top of the curve is "Hillside Coal and Iron Company - Fernwood Breaker"  

This map does not denote anything near those old buildings.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/fallenshorts/101_1432_Small.jpg
Click Image to Resize

mike_nepa
Historian
  101_1433_Small.jpg - 27281 Bytes
« Reply #92 on: May 12th, 2008, 9:41am »

This is a closeup of the area we are talking about.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/fallenshorts/101_1433_Small.jpg
Click Image to Resize

mike_nepa
Historian
  100_4599_Small.jpg - 107128 Bytes
« Reply #93 on: May 12th, 2008, 9:46am »

Here just after the removed bridge at Bear Creek Rd heading towards what was the curve. These were the only signs of the old "wye" we saw. Here you can the wider ties and the remains of what was a switch. Apparently the explosives company sat right on this old wye so this was the only sign of it. Being a posted area, we kept to walking the tracks.  We did not see signs of the other leg of the wye. I do have a photo showing longer ties down the tracks but I did not take a picture of the terrain to the left of the tracks to see if there was a berm for the leg of the wye.  

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/fallenshorts/100_4599_Small.jpg
Click Image to Resize

mike_nepa
Historian

« Reply #94 on: May 12th, 2008, 9:51am »

on May 11th, 2008, 11:32am, LOU_D wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Mike,Independent Explosive had a battery loco that ran on brass rail,it went all over the property.There were buildings all over where they stored the nitro/black powder/dynamite called magazines,it's very possible that's what the building/tracks were..

Too bad we can't find any photos of when it was in operation. We did find remains of the Dupont powder mill and that had narrow gauge tracks running all over the place. The remains we saw here, no tracks remained, but appeared to be standard gauge by the look of the remaining ties.  

Unfortunately we cannot go back there to investigate further as the whole area was destroyed. The walk two years ago we took a total of 59 photos of that area.  

LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #95 on: May 13th, 2008, 12:54am »

You know,I have two friends who's fathers worked there for decades..It's possible they have pics.One is still alive.Independent was a really cheesy operation.Everything they had was junk.I used to shudder when I saw their trucks.In the 70's,they were still using 50's Brockway's and Diamond Reo trucks for deliveries.I think the newest trucks they had were at least 15 years old,some were 40+..That loco I mentioned[at least,I think they had only one?..] Was a small yellow beast,from what I remember,it could have just been a mine loco.I don't remember a cab or anything like that.It may have very well come from a mining operation.From what I remember,it had brass wheels,and ran on grooved brass rail,or,at least it was grooved where it wasn't worn out.There are sign's of it on the PennPilot pic you use for navigating the area to find the historic pics,it ran right across the road going into the plant right above the entrance.. Hey Mike,I have that 14 foot map,too!!

« Last Edit: May 13th, 2008, 12:56am by LV LOU » Logged

mike_nepa
Historian

« Reply #96 on: May 13th, 2008, 8:47am »

Its a good map, although not to scale. It shows alot of trackage that were branches and denotes what they served (such as named breakers)  

So what you are saying is those concrete remains are the remains of Independent Explosives? We did find the remains of a spur line from the existing tracks but did not find any remains of narrow gauge tracks. Since you said they used brass rail, they would have taken all of it out when the place closed.  Since the remains are now gone and from what we see they plan for this Centerpoint park, more of this trackage is to be lost.  

We got lucky to be able to photograph it just before it was taken out...

LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #97 on: May 13th, 2008, 9:49pm »

Mike,those remains COULD be Independent remains,I don't really know.I do know for certain they had those magazines all over the mountain.Their garage was about halfway up the mountain from the main road,I know their property went past that.If you think of tons of explosives[they made nitro..] you can immagine the distance they needed to be seperated to keep one from setting off another in an accident..I grew up in Pittston,4 miles away,seperated by a mountain,once,when it blew up,it broke windows in stores near my house..I seem to remember something like 11 men being killed,most never found..At one point,there was an accident every year or so..

LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #98 on: May 13th, 2008, 9:54pm »

Hey,I just thought of something..One of my customers grew up in Suscon about 3/4 mile up the hill from the bridge,still lives there,he's in his 70's..I have his Harley in my shop,so I'll be seeing him sometime next week.I'll print some of these pics,and ask if he knows anything about them...I'm CERTAIN he could identify something!!

« Last Edit: May 13th, 2008, 10:48pm by LV LOU » Logged

mike_nepa
Historian

« Reply #99 on: Jun 11th, 2008, 9:19am »

on May 13th, 2008, 9:54pm, LOU_D wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Hey,I just thought of something..One of my customers grew up in Suscon about 3/4 mile up the hill from the bridge,still lives there,he's in his 70's..I have his Harley in my shop,so I'll be seeing him sometime next week.I'll print some of these pics,and ask if he knows anything about them...I'm CERTAIN he could identify something!!

Did you ever get a chance to talk with that guy? It would be interesting to find out about those building remains and who knows, he may even have some pictures.

Mike

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »