Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jul 23rd, 2017, 6:40pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Pics of the Wilkes Barre and Eastern
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   Fallen Shortlines
(Moderator: Henry)
   Pics of the Wilkes Barre and Eastern
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Pics of the Wilkes Barre and Eastern  (Read 3498 times)
mike_nepa
Historian
Re: Pics of the Wilkes Barre and Eastern
  100_4630_Small.jpg - 109011 Bytes
« Reply #60 on: May 4th, 2008, 6:45pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Approaching the new park after the line is back to single track, you can see the brush and tress are cut. No work on the tracks was seen.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/fallenshorts/100_4630_Small.jpg
Click Image to Resize

mike_nepa
Historian
  100_4635_Small.jpg - 120685 Bytes
« Reply #61 on: May 4th, 2008, 6:46pm »

As we would have entered the "open field part" before the rock cut, the tracks are gone!

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/fallenshorts/100_4635_Small.jpg
Click Image to Resize

mike_nepa
Historian
  100_4636_Small.jpg - 84703 Bytes
« Reply #62 on: May 4th, 2008, 6:48pm »

Turning about the tracks would have continued straight ahead. Now, this has  changed. The tracks just dead-end here.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/fallenshorts/100_4636_Small.jpg
Click Image to Resize

mike_nepa
Historian
  100_4659_Small.jpg - 102759 Bytes
« Reply #63 on: May 4th, 2008, 6:49pm »

Walking around the park, I found where they pick up again after the first curve.  Just ahead of this shot, the tracks are again cut out.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/fallenshorts/100_4659_Small.jpg
Click Image to Resize

mike_nepa
Historian
  Suscon-2.jpg - 80391 Bytes
« Reply #64 on: May 4th, 2008, 6:52pm »

Topo map showing the area of tracks that are gone. We didn't follow it all the way to the end of the curve as beyond that point the tracks look undisturbed. We did find other differences compared to the photos on my site.

1: the concrete remains found to the right of the double-tracked section are gone.

2: the building we saw after where the tracks resume seems to be in the process of being torn down or the stuff we saw near the tracks has already been removed. Its possible someone is renovating the main building? We did not venture inside as its now locked up.

3: we did not go as far as where the trackage ends to see if the building with the worm drive still exists.  

So it seem I took the last photos of the original alignment of these tracks...

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/fallenshorts/Suscon-2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #65 on: May 4th, 2008, 9:36pm »

Mike,I think I have an explaination for the way the tracks are removed.Centerpoint is in Jenkins TWP,and does not cross over into Pittston TWP.[the tax process with buildings and such an entity as an industrial park in two TWP's would be a cluster...] The link you posted on Centerpoint shows it ending on the line,with a track right on top.I think the topo map you just posted has the TWP borderline in the wrong place in relation to the curve.If you move it up to match the remaining areas,it makes sense,the remaining abandoned section of track is in Pittston TWP,and the rest is the line they're going to rebuild.Also,I believe the isolated abandoned section is on private property.The old Explosives plant property is some sort of private Co.,I'll hafta take a look to see what it is,the S curve was on that property for the most part..

« Last Edit: May 4th, 2008, 9:37pm by LV LOU » Logged

When it hits the fan,be the fan...
mike_nepa
Historian

« Reply #66 on: May 5th, 2008, 7:44am »

I posted the topo map since that is what I use to communicate back and forth with my GPS. It doesn't show township boundaries well since its mostly for topography. It shows where the tracks are and the section that is now gone. (data collected as we walked the tracks)  

If they plan to use the tracks from where they are over Suscon Rd/Bear Creek Rd they will have to make a sharp turn after where they are cut out. (and that is after building a new bridge over the road) As posted, the double tracked section has the brush cut out compared to two years ago. The area from the missing bridge to the first dirt road intersection has not been touched.  

It also seems they plan to keep that side track since they cut the brush out on that set as well.  

After the area that was removed, the remaining track is presumed still intact but is now orphaned. (no entry, no exit) No signs of work on that section was seen either but there would be no point to it. After the top curve they dead-end and the railbed runs into the property of Linde. SO there is no chance of that section ever being re-used.  

We also saw no signs of construction of a new bridge. Perhaps they are taking a wait and see approach before going through that expense?

Mike

mike_nepa
Historian

« Reply #67 on: May 5th, 2008, 8:09am »

on May 4th, 2008, 2:22pm, AdamCKach wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I apologize if I'm injecting into your discussion, fellas, but is this the blurb you saw, Lou?

I've tried Lexis and WestLaw, but it only gives me Times Leader articles.  However, this blurb was in both the TL and the USNews.  Unfortunately, though, it's from '06.

I looked and searched but cannot find that article. do you have a link?

LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #68 on: May 5th, 2008, 9:21am »

Mike,the article was in maybe 2 weeks ago,think it was a Wednesday.I can't find it on the TL sight either..I think this hasn't been in the works very long.I would immagine they're going to get a prefab bridge,just getting something like that planned/built/shipped will probably take a year or so.The line up the mountain needs to be rebuilt,too,I immagine they'll bring it up the mountain by rail..

pumpers

View Profile  

« Reply #69 on: May 5th, 2008, 12:27pm »

Lou, Mike,

I think we all agree -- Centerpoint has consumed that southern part of the WBE and most of the first loop.   It also seems we agree that either  
(i) the Centerpoint map I posted which shows it 100% on the south side of the Jenkins/Pittston borders is wrong,  and it really extends 500-1000 ft north into Pittston Township,  
OR
(ii)  the topo Mike posted (and all the other topos I found on-line -- but they probably all have the same original source at USGS) is wrong and the Pittston/Jenkins line is really further north than shown on the topo map .

Looking at an official map from the county web site,
http://www.luzernecounty.org/county/departments_agencies/bureau_of_elections/political-jurisdiction-maps and
http://www.luzernecounty.org/content/File/bureau_of_elections/finalprecinctmaps2007/PITTSTON%20TWP.pdf

it seems Lou is right -- that the topos are wrong.  On the official Pittson map link, the Jenkins/Pittston boundary we are talking about is lined up with where Oak St hits I-81.  And on the topo (mapper.acme.com) the boundary is about 750 feet south of there, apparently incorrect!

Mike, thanks for the quick field work.  

Now let's see how long it actually takes to get a train into Centerpoint!

JS

PS.  What is driving all these big warehouses -- that one on the northern edge of Centerpoint must have 100 truck bays on each on the north and south side.   Is it some kind of regional distribution?  Bring it in by rail and then distribute by truck?  Seems like a lot for the Scraton area.  In NJ, they are setting up some of these centers in PA the Allentown area for distribution in the NJ/NY market.  You would think they would go by rail right to the northern NJ/NY area to put it on a truck, but I've seen it discussed on forums that the delays with Conrail Shared Assets in the northern NJ/NY area, general rail congestion, and siting such a facility, make it easier just to put it in PA and put drive to NJ/NY.     But Scranton is too far to serve NY/NY, I would think.    

« Last Edit: May 5th, 2008, 12:31pm by pumpers » Logged
pumpers

View Profile  

« Reply #70 on: May 5th, 2008, 12:55pm »

Found some great aerial shots.  
http://www.mericle.com/public/centerpoint-commerce-trade-park/park-maps-and-aerials.html

http://www.mericle.com/public/project-portfolio/centerpoint-commerce-trade-park.html

They are looking east.  Left of Centerpoint Dr (labelled on one of the photos) is where the WBE was.

And they have grand plans -- expanding East, North (onto what I guess is the Independent Explosives property in Pittston Twp and gobbling up what is left of the reverse S curve), and also West, to the other the side of 81 just north of Oak St:  
http://www.mericle.com/public/images/stories/pdf/CP-OVERALL-PHASES-03-04-08

JS
What a super thing to do with an old strip mine.

« Last Edit: May 5th, 2008, 2:07pm by pumpers » Logged
LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #71 on: May 6th, 2008, 12:07am »

Pumpers,if you look at the general location of Centerpoint and Grimes,they're in a perfect location.This area is directly accessable from I81,the PA Turnpike,RT315,and RT11.Also,within less than 5 miles are RT115,502,309,307,and 92.within 20 miles are I-80,I-380,and I-84,and god knows what other routes I forgot.That's what's driving it.I just opened a business by Centerpoint,a guy from a leather company walked in and said"Wow...WHAT A LOCATION!!" "Man,there's NOWHERE you can't get to from here!!" He has since setup a deal with me that I carry his products,and it costs me nothing to stock them,that's how impressed he is with where I am.
As far as the warehouses,I know Walmart/Sam's club has one,and also Fedex..I'll hafta take a look to see exactly who else,but I THINK one of them is also Lowes or Home Depot,but not sure about them.I'll see if I can take a ride tomorrow and see..

LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #72 on: May 6th, 2008, 12:09am »

Hey Pumpers,by the way,this ENTIRE area is an old Stripmine,LOL!!!

mike_nepa
Historian

« Reply #73 on: May 6th, 2008, 5:17am »

on May 5th, 2008, 12:55pm, pumpers wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Found some great aerial shots.  
http://www.mericle.com/public/centerpoint-commerce-trade-park/park-maps-and-aerials.html

http://www.mericle.com/public/project-portfolio/centerpoint-commerce-trade-park.html

They are looking east.  Left of Centerpoint Dr (labelled on one of the photos) is where the WBE was.

And they have grand plans -- expanding East, North (onto what I guess is the Independent Explosives property in Pittston Twp and gobbling up what is left of the reverse S curve), and also West, to the other the side of 81 just north of Oak St:  
http://www.mericle.com/public/images/stories/pdf/CP-OVERALL-PHASES-03-04-08

JS
What a super thing to do with an old strip mine.

That would explain why the old concrete remains we found before the start of the curve is gone now as well. I never did find out what those were the remains of.

Mike

robertjohndavis
Railfan
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #74 on: May 6th, 2008, 9:42am »

Yes, that ease of access is also what makes S/W-B a drug trafficking center!  

It is really interesting to see branches that have lingered so long after the a-coal era wind up back in play.

I can't imagine it will be too long until the Erie below Little Virginia is reopened. I'll buy a ticket on the first Steamtown special to run to Pittston via the Erie! LOL!

Rob

Ahead of the Torch
http://www.robertjohndavis.com/

Ashley_John
Former Member

« Reply #75 on: May 6th, 2008, 1:31pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

on May 6th, 2008, 9:42am, robertjohndavis wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Ain't that the truth!!! I guess it's also a good place to hide in these old coal towns, as these small town cops don't do anything and don't care

LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #76 on: May 6th, 2008, 10:09pm »

on May 6th, 2008, 9:42am, robertjohndavis wrote:       (Click here for original message)

It is really interesting to see branches that have lingered so long after the a-coal era wind up back in play.

I can't imagine it will be too long until the Erie below Little Virginia is reopened. I'll buy a ticket on the first Steamtown special to run to Pittston via the Erie! LOL!

Rob

Rob,you'll never see the Erie back here.Just a year or 2 ago,they ripped up the entire Erie main along the Pittston Bypass,the entire Erie is gone from Avoca to Wilkes Barre,including the track that paralelled the L&WV,and most of the area it served is residential now..It'd be cool if it came back,though,LOL!!! Seems lots of track is coming back to life,I really hope the Bloom picks up,now that the bridge is getting fixed below Coxton.

pumpers

View Profile  

« Reply #77 on: May 7th, 2008, 8:17am »

I poked around on-line.  It seems the huge building on the WBE r.o.w. (left side of the aerial picture links I posted just above is a Lowes distribution center.  1,600,000 square feet!  JS

« Last Edit: May 7th, 2008, 8:21am by pumpers » Logged
mike_nepa
Historian

« Reply #78 on: May 8th, 2008, 5:13am »

on May 6th, 2008, 10:09pm, LOU_D wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Rob,you'll never see the Erie back here.Just a year or 2 ago,they ripped up the entire Erie main along the Pittston Bypass,the entire Erie is gone from Avoca to Wilkes Barre,including the track that paralelled the L&WV,and most of the area it served is residential now..It'd be cool if it came back,though,LOL!!! Seems lots of track is coming back to life,I really hope the Bloom picks up,now that the bridge is getting fixed below Coxton.

I did notice this year the Erie tracks from "Virgina" down to Hillside junction are still untouched. Crossing Montage Mtn rd they removed the concrete barriers over the tracks. Another thing the older bridge over Springbrook next to Hillside Junction has been repaired. Perhaps they are thinking of using that small section again to access the Minooka Branch?

mike_nepa
Historian

« Reply #79 on: May 10th, 2008, 7:59am »

From looking at the web site of Centerpoint they only touch on having rail service. Most of the maps shown of the park do not show rails. It will probably be a wait and see approach if any tenant wants rail.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »