Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 17th, 2017, 6:05pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Pics of the Wilkes Barre and Eastern
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   Fallen Shortlines
(Moderator: Henry)
   Pics of the Wilkes Barre and Eastern
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Pics of the Wilkes Barre and Eastern  (Read 3527 times)
LV LOU
Historian
Re: Pics of the Wilkes Barre and Eastern

« Reply #40 on: May 3rd, 2008, 9:01am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Mike,somebody gave me the newspaper at my shop,I think my partner may have used it to clean up oil...

When it hits the fan,be the fan...
WVTransplant

View Profile  

« Reply #41 on: May 3rd, 2008, 3:24pm »

Edit: Found the "wrong" article.  Give me a second.

« Last Edit: May 3rd, 2008, 3:25pm by WVTransplant » Logged
pumpers

View Profile  

« Reply #42 on: May 3rd, 2008, 6:12pm »

Well, I'm from central Jersey, so i couldn't poke around in person, but I did spend some time online looking for the latest aerial/satellite photos at maps.live.com (works only on PC, not on Mac) and mapper.acme.com (this site lets you toggle back and forth between topo and satellite and road maps to see what corresponds to what.)

The bottom line is, it seems the whole southern part of the reverse curve region on the WBE  has already been obliterated by giant new warehouses in Centerpoint!!!!   Mike's photos were the last record of the WBE I guess right around here!

If you look at the link to the Centerpoint map I posted earlier, it shows the northern boundary of the park on the Jenkins/Pittston Township line, which keeps it mostly south of the WBE, except for a small part.  This is map is apparently wrong, I think!  It seems the park extends up around 500 feet north of this line, and most of the buildings have already been built!  

If you look at aerial/satellite photos on the above links, they both show the Centerpoint region to be undeveloped still -- note a  large rectangular treeless region around where the part will be (this treeless region I guess is left over from mining).   The corners of the rectangle are especially visible on the left (east) side.   Anyway, if you go into "birdseye" mode at maps.live.com, there are newer pictures, where you see these giant warehouses under construction covering almost exactly this treeless region, which extends about 500 feet north of the Township line.  (toggle back and forth between satellite and topo modes in mapper.acme.com to see where the northern boundary of the old treeless region went compared to the township line.).    The northernmost new warehouse has about 100 truck bay doors in its south side, I think.   The Centerpoint map I posted earlier doesn't exactly correspond to the exact buidlings under construction, but it is pretty close.   Also, the Centerpoint map showed the park ending at the township line, but it really ends at the norhtern end of the treeless region, about 500 feet further north

Anyway, my main point is, the southernmost of the two curves has been entirely wiped out by this new construction, if my reckoning is right, mostly by the northernmost new warehouse!    Maybe Lou D or Mike can get in to Centerpoint park (which is accessed off Armstrong Rd) with a GIS to confirm my suspicions.

I was going to write an positing today that more was going to happen to this WBE trackage in the next few years than had happened in the past 50 years or whatever it has been since abandonment, but when I saw those  "birdseye" mode photos, it has apparetnly already happened.

Sorry for being so lengthy, I was so surprised,  
JS

PS.  When was this S curve stretch southwest of Suscon abandoned?  In 1939 when the WBE went under, or were they kept alive longer with the connection to Hillside yard/switchback (maybe to serve the New Boston mines??)

« Last Edit: May 3rd, 2008, 6:14pm by pumpers » Logged
LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #43 on: May 3rd, 2008, 8:03pm »

Pretty sure that S curve is gone.That area was developed years ago,UPS,the explosives plant,and quit a few other busineses that probably wouldn't need rail service have been there 20 years or more.The curve was probably abandoned in '39 along with the rest of the line.The only customer there was Independent Explosives,and rail service to there was kept only as a matter of national security.Independent explosives was, at one time[at least I was told by my friends dad who worked there] the only manufacturer of black powder in the country,and that was needed for artillery.Now,the military either gets it from somewhere else,or they've replaced it with Pyrodex or Cordite,or whatever.
You can't immagine the rate at which stuff is going up in Centerpoint.Most of the warehouses you see in arial photos under construction are probably finished,with many more going up.

LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #44 on: May 3rd, 2008, 10:06pm »

After doing a little more research with some arial photos,the curve would really be unnecessary.The entry to the curve exits right into Centerpoint.Originally,the curve dropped down to the explosives plant,then went on to cross RT315 and continued to the Jenkins station connection with the LV.That track was 100 feet or so lower than is necessary to get into Centerpoint.To actually reach the park,the L&S really only needs to rebuild maybe 3/4 of a mile of track past the bridge.Now,what they do IN Centerpoint is another story,but as far as I know about things like that,the customer is responsible for their own rail,although the RR usually does the work...If anybody is in the area and wants to check it out,my shop is only 1/4 mile or so from the curve...

« Last Edit: May 3rd, 2008, 10:08pm by LV LOU » Logged

pumpers

View Profile  

« Reply #45 on: May 4th, 2008, 7:52am »

It appears that the whole curve in Mike's topo on the previous page where he  labelled "ties pulled out here" (and I guess where the posted picture of the same is from) and the approach to it on the southern side are now a giant warehouse as part of Centerpoint Park.    When exactly did you (Mike) take those pictures?

JS

Also, where is/was UPS and where was Independent Explosives (I guess the buildings are all gone)?
   I googled "Independent Explosives Company" and just about all that came up were old articles about explosions killing people (3 in 1987, 2 in 1951 ).

mike_nepa
Historian

« Reply #46 on: May 4th, 2008, 9:09am »

on May 3rd, 2008, 9:01am, LOU_D wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Mike,somebody gave me the newspaper at my shop,I think my partner may have used it to clean up oil...

I tried searching the citizens voice online paper but their search function is misbehaving. Do you know when the article was written approximately?

mike_nepa
Historian

« Reply #47 on: May 4th, 2008, 9:27am »

on May 4th, 2008, 7:52am, pumpers wrote:       (Click here for original message)
It appears that the whole curve in Mike's topo on the previous page where he  labelled "ties pulled out here" (and I guess where the posted picture of the same is from) and the approach to it on the southern side are now a giant warehouse as part of Centerpoint Park.    When exactly did you (Mike) take those pictures?

JS

Also, where is/was UPS and where was Independent Explosives (I guess the buildings are all gone)?
   I googled "Independent Explosives Company" and just about all that came up were old articles about explosions killing people (3 in 1987, 2 in 1951 ).

It is unlikely the tracks were abandoned in 1939 when the WB&E went under. The Erie took over some of the trackage after 1939 but the section that connects Suscon down to East Stoudsburg was the part abandoned in 1939 (to the best info I have)  When we walked it, tracks were still present beyond the reverse 'S' curve up to what appears to be a building with a worm drive that went under the track. Beyond that spot after a bumper was installed, the rails were pulled and only the railbed remained. Not far after that spot we ran into a business (i think a trucking company) so the ROW was obliterated there.  

I did the same search on maps.live.com and it does show the curve is gone. looking on acmemapper still shows it like it was.  The birdseye view on maps.live.com doesn't show if they are installing the tracks in a different configuration for the park. However looking at the pdf of the industrial park plan does show planned tracks. My guess is they have/will eliminate the whole curve and bring it in just before the old curve.  

On my site I have a page of the photos from Suscon Rd to the end of the curve here.

http://nepaview.piczo.com/?g=17220370&cr=4

Hmm we may have to go back there to see if there is any work going on with the tracks. I was also hoping to catch where the WB&E starts its way down to East Stroudsburg since where we wanted to look at it was cut off. I doubt we could just waltz into the construction zone to sniff around, We will probably have to park at Suscon Rd and proceed that way. (like we did originally)  

Oh to answer the last question. The photos were taken 5-14-2006

Mike

mike_nepa
Historian
  100_6424_Small.jpg - 89484 Bytes
« Reply #48 on: May 4th, 2008, 9:34am »

Typically on a walk/explore I take many more photographs then what I post on my site. That day (5-14-2006) I took about 330 photos (we exploring the building remains which is not on the site) So here are a few photos that are NOT on my site.

Exiting the rock cut before the tracks start the curve.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/fallenshorts/100_6424_Small.jpg
Click Image to Resize

mike_nepa
Historian
  100_6425_Small.jpg - 54365 Bytes
« Reply #49 on: May 4th, 2008, 9:35am »

These markings were seen on the tracks. In some places small flags were nailed into the ties. (the above photo shows it) At the time I didn't think anything of this.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/fallenshorts/100_6425_Small.jpg
Click Image to Resize

mike_nepa
Historian
  100_6426_Small.jpg - 71013 Bytes
« Reply #50 on: May 4th, 2008, 9:36am »

Starting into the first curve, at this point the tracks are untouched, but in poor condition.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/fallenshorts/100_6426_Small.jpg
Click Image to Resize

mike_nepa
Historian
  100_6428_Small.jpg - 77589 Bytes
« Reply #51 on: May 4th, 2008, 9:37am »

You can see the first building under construction. remember the photos were taken two years ago!

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/fallenshorts/100_6428_Small.jpg
Click Image to Resize

mike_nepa
Historian
  100_6436_Small.jpg - 89650 Bytes
« Reply #52 on: May 4th, 2008, 9:38am »

Just beyond this spot is where they pulled out the ties.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/fallenshorts/100_6436_Small.jpg
Click Image to Resize

mike_nepa
Historian
  100_6446_Small.jpg - 86699 Bytes
« Reply #53 on: May 4th, 2008, 9:41am »

As we went around the first bend you can see ahead where they left it undisturbed. (at the time)

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/fallenshorts/100_6446_Small.jpg
Click Image to Resize

mike_nepa
Historian
  100_6449_Small.jpg - 111649 Bytes
« Reply #54 on: May 4th, 2008, 9:42am »

Here and into the top curve the tracks are normal again. Beyond this spot we saw a building which we didn't know what it was but it was modern construction. then beyond that was where we saw a sort of silo building with the worm drive.

I think going back here needs to be done to see whats changed.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/fallenshorts/100_6449_Small.jpg
Click Image to Resize

LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #55 on: May 4th, 2008, 11:34am »

Pumpers,if you look at a map,follow Armstrong road from Suscon/Bear Creek Road south.The very first building on the west side of the road[opposite the curve] is UPS.Independent Explosives was directly across the street.UPS was there as long as I can remember,I'm 52.The top of the curve[north side] ,closest to Suscon road is where the WB&E connected to Independent.
Mike,I just looked at Penn Pilot,the tracks from RT315 to the curve were gone in 1938!! It actually looks like even the curve may have been gone.There were,however,coal mines there,and independent must have been put in at a later date,[perhaps during WW2?]because I don't see anything of them,either.The Erie connection would have been in Avoca,using the same tracks the L&S uses today,the Erie really had no connection with the WB&E on the other end of the line near Jenkins/Plains,however it did have a connection with the D&H in yatesville.There was a coal mine just on the other side of the WB&E RT315 crossing bridge,it would have been much easier for them to ship south onto the D&H,there's no grade coming out,they wouldn't really even need a locomotive,it's all downhill to the WB&E yard at Yatesville.Perhaps this is the SECOND time this line is coming back.
This area is right in the middle of pretty much the road transportation hub of the northeast,at least 8 major highways are less than 10 miles for here.There's a pile of empty land,I can only immagine that the rail system here is going to go nuts very soon..Darn,LOL!!..

« Last Edit: May 4th, 2008, 11:41am by LV LOU » Logged

LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #56 on: May 4th, 2008, 11:36am »

Mike,you got a pic of the worm drive building?

WVTransplant

View Profile  

« Reply #57 on: May 4th, 2008, 2:22pm »

I apologize if I'm injecting into your discussion, fellas, but is this the blurb you saw, Lou?

Quote:
Luzerne and Lackawanna counties

* Redevelopment Authority of Luzerne County will receive $243,264 for the rehabilitation of track on the Hillside Junction, Suscon Industrial Track, Wilkes-Barre Secondary and the Grimes Industrial Park to provide a more efficient route for new and existing customers. Upon completion, the project will help create 25 jobs, maintain 400 jobs and reduce the number of truck trips by 9,866 per year.

I've tried Lexis and WestLaw, but it only gives me Times Leader articles.  However, this blurb was in both the TL and the USNews.  Unfortunately, though, it's from '06.

LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #58 on: May 4th, 2008, 2:34pm »

on May 4th, 2008, 11:36am, LOU_D wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Mike,you got a pic of the worm drive building?

Aaah!!!...Nevermind..I saw the Erie link you posted with the pic,I know EXACTLY what that building/wormdrive setup was..I used to work for Klein Auto parts in the 70's,my first job,working in the machine shop,and delivering parts..The garage wa on top of the hill,I used to drive right through there several times a week..[Shudder!!!..I coulda blown up.. ] The structure on top is a ball mill,it had a rotating brass drum in it like a cement mixer,and was full of glass balls.That was where they ground the charcoal,saltpeter,and sulpher into black powder.They also made Dynamite and Nitro Glycerine there...At one time,that fence went around the entire property,several miles long...

« Last Edit: May 4th, 2008, 2:37pm by LV LOU » Logged

mike_nepa
Historian
  100_4618_Small.jpg - 108076 Bytes
« Reply #59 on: May 4th, 2008, 6:44pm »

Ok with all this discussion and a nice day out we went to check it out. At Suscon Rd/Bear Creek Rd the cut out overpass has not changed at all. So if they plan to build a new span, nothing has been done yet. Starting the walk towards the new park at first the tracks look the same as two years ago until after the side track and crossing an unknown dirt rd. Here all the brush has been cut down.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/fallenshorts/100_4618_Small.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »