Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jul 23rd, 2017, 6:40pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Pics of the Wilkes Barre and Eastern
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   Fallen Shortlines
(Moderator: Henry)
   Pics of the Wilkes Barre and Eastern
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Pics of the Wilkes Barre and Eastern  (Read 3497 times)
JhnZ33
Former Member
Re: Pics of the Wilkes Barre and Eastern

« Reply #20 on: Jan 25th, 2006, 9:18pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

Speaking of ebay, I was on ebay today just lookin' around and found this book.  

Don't know if anyone is interested or not, but I thought I'd give a heads up on it.

John

XPLORER
Historian

« Reply #21 on: Jan 26th, 2006, 6:15am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Good book. The local librarys have it. The WB&E is in one of the volumes. DL&W, , LV etc etc etc. I think it was two volumes.

LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #22 on: Jan 29th, 2006, 9:59am »

Rick,I got cartridges on Ebay,should be here tomorrow.MikeG,From what I can see,the WB&E depot was somewhere near William street.I have a map,but there's no street names.The closest collierie on it is the Madera,but it's near Hudson.They also show a "John Conton Coal Company",from what I can tell,it was by the lumber company in Plains that burned down in the 90's .

When it hits the fan,be the fan...
LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #23 on: Jan 29th, 2006, 10:01am »

Hey Rick,I just got a brainstorm!! My buddy OWNS the Lehigh Valley Coal Company!!! I wonder if they have any kind of archives?? I don't see him too much,I'm gonna ask him the next time I see him.

mike_nepa
Historian
Wilkes-Barre & Eastern pictures
  Suscon.jpg - 67070 Bytes
« Reply #24 on: May 7th, 2006, 9:16am »

Some of the pictures you posted look very similar to a walk my brother and I took yesterday. We followed what was the Erie from Dupont down to Suscon road. Maps I have indicate it was part of the Wilkes-Barre & Eastern shared with the Erie.  The tracks are abandoned but someone is keeping them up by cutting down trees and debris along the ROW.
I plan to post the series of pictures on my website.

www.nepaview.piczo.com

Here is a topo map of our walk using a GPS unit.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/fallenshorts/Suscon.jpg
Click Image to Resize

mike_nepa
Historian
  100_6016_Small.jpg - 73843 Bytes
« Reply #25 on: May 7th, 2006, 9:18am »

Here is a picture of the tracks crossing a road.
Up to this point from Dupont the tracks were mainly clear but from here there is much more growth.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/fallenshorts/100_6016_Small.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: May 7th, 2006, 9:25am by mike_nepa » Logged
mike_nepa
Historian
  100_6030_Small.jpg - 114069 Bytes
« Reply #26 on: May 7th, 2006, 9:20am »

This is continuing on from Suscon road

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/fallenshorts/100_6030_Small.jpg
Click Image to Resize

mike_nepa
Historian
  100_6043_Small.jpg - 75532 Bytes
« Reply #27 on: May 7th, 2006, 9:21am »

This is where the tracks are severed. I think this is Suscon Road. Beyond this point we saw a sign that indicated an explosive factory is near.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/fallenshorts/100_6043_Small.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: May 7th, 2006, 9:27am by mike_nepa » Logged
XPLORER
Historian

« Reply #28 on: May 7th, 2006, 1:44pm »

Mike,
Keep up the good work. I will get around to your site in the future look forward to seeing more of your info. Welcome aboard.
RR

LV LOU
Historian
Re: Wilkes-Barre & Eastern pictures

« Reply #29 on: Apr 24th, 2008, 9:20pm »

on May 7th, 2006, 9:21am, mike_nepa wrote:       (Click here for original message)
This is where the tracks are severed. I think this is Suscon Road. Beyond this point we saw a sign that indicated an explosive factory is near.

Mike,the explosives factory is the former Independent Explosives Company.It closed some time ago.They used to have a battery powered narrow guage railway on the property,the track was made of brass to prevent sparks.There were MANY accidents here,At least 4 of my friends lost their fathers here in explosions,some were never found.The property was devided into "magazines",areas that had a large distance between cinderblock buildings where they devided up the explosives to keep the whole place from going up in an accident.I actually saw one of them blow up in the early 70's!! I was coming back from hunting Woodchucks in Meshoppen with my father and my cousin Ray in my fathers '62 Studebaker station wagon.Directly across from Coxton yard on RT92,I just by chance happened to be looking right at the building on the mountain several miles away when it just exploded!! About 20 or so seconds later,the shock wave shook the car,like a really big clap of thunder...

LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #30 on: Apr 24th, 2008, 9:27pm »

Anyway,big news on the WB&E!! I saw a newspaper article,and asked some of the locals what they knew,seems that the Luzerne and Susquehanna are putting in a new bridge right at the spot where Mike took the pic,and are reactivating the entire line to the huge new Grimes industrial park!! The L&S will now be operating in mountainous territory,so they'll probably need much better power..The bridge will be longer and higher than the original one,I understand construction will probably start before next year..And..Now I have another RR to chase,less than a half mile from my house,LOL!!

mike_nepa
Historian
  100_6440_Small.jpg - 81952 Bytes
« Reply #31 on: May 2nd, 2008, 7:52am »

Wow I didn't see that article but I came across two maps of the Grimes Industrial park that shows trackage. DO you have a link for that article? I looked at the map of the park and compared it to the GPS data collected from walking the Erie/WB&E trackage. (that was two years ago) We saw the tracks were kept clear up to Sathers drive, then they were grown in. The bridge you mention is past this point and past the park. We did see where the Erie/WB&E makes a large reverse 'S' curve and in one area they pulled out the ties and left the rail. This was very unusual. Here is a picture of that.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/fallenshorts/100_6440_Small.jpg
Click Image to Resize

mike_nepa
Historian
  100_6429_Small.jpg - 56286 Bytes
« Reply #32 on: May 2nd, 2008, 7:54am »

To the left this was under construction two years ago. This is south of the Grimes park. This is past Bear Creek Rd where the bridge was removed years ago.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/fallenshorts/100_6429_Small.jpg
Click Image to Resize

mike_nepa
Historian
  TopoMap.jpg - 163322 Bytes
« Reply #33 on: May 2nd, 2008, 7:55am »

Here is a topo map of the area with GPS data. Bear Creek Rd/missing bridge is to the right and just in view.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/fallenshorts/TopoMap.jpg
Click Image to Resize

mike_nepa
Historian
  Road_map.jpg - 68449 Bytes
« Reply #34 on: May 2nd, 2008, 7:58am »

Road map taken from MS streets & trips. It still shows the reverse 'S' curve and I marked where the ties were pulled out. Beyond that spot the tracks were left alone (at the time) Eventually the tracks run into a I think a trucking company.  

If its is true they are going to replace that bridge, it must be for a new park situated on the strip mine. We hoped to catch where the WB&E breaks off heading towards Springbrook. We tried coming up from the Route 502 way but the ROW is now situated on property.  

Mike

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (68449 bytes, 939x506 pixels)

Click Here to View Image Road_map.jpg - 68449 Bytes

pumpers

View Profile  

« Reply #35 on: May 2nd, 2008, 10:21pm »

Wow, this is exciting.  I am a little confused though -- if this bridge is the one over Bear Creek Rd (also known as Suscon rd in this area?), then it is not Grimes Industrial Park -- G.I.P. is on the north of Bear Creek Rd/Suscon Rd (in the Sathers Dr and Import Rd area), at least according to the map I found below. So  you don't need the bridge to access it -- just clearing some track from the New Rail Dam area about a mile north or so from where it connects to the active line.  Here is the link for the G.I.P. map:  
http://www.pennsnortheast.com/e_location/images/GrimesIP.pdf

But then I found another new industrial park further south along the line (requiring the Bear Creek/Suscon bridge), in the area of the reverse S curve mentioned above:  Center Point Commerce and Trade Point East:
http://www.pennsnortheast.com/e_location/images/Centerpoint_E.pdf  

Note this park lies just south of the Pittson Township/Jenkins Township line (on the Jenkins side) - that helps you determine its location on topo maps, and comparing the Centerpoint map to topos it seems the rail line on the north side of the Center Point Commerce park doesn't exactly overlay with the old WBE, unlike the rail line in the map of GIP which does.  But it must be served coming off the WBE just around the east/west straignt segment of the WBE just before the reverse curve (south of the curve).    Note also this new Centerpoint park is in the general area of the old strip mines in the Old Boston area, as alluded to above.  

Do I have my bearings right??  JS

LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #36 on: May 3rd, 2008, 12:44am »

Mike,that section of track with the ties ripped up makes PERFECT sense.The ties are shot,but the rail isn't.The condition of the ties probably precludes them from using automatic machinery to replace the ties,they're probably going to go back and manually replace them,while reusing the rail..
Pumpers,From Sathers drive,if you just crossed the road,there would be a really steep incline that would make it nearly impossible to get in/out,that's why that screwy "S" curve is there,it's in the same area.The WB&E used that "S" to gain elevation in a small space.Also,the rail authority already owns the property they're refurbishing,there are brand new homes and businesses in the way already where you're thinking of,and the tracks would parallel the road,which is prime real estate for more businesses.Also,a track at grade in the middle of Suscon road is just ASKING for trouble,with all the oil/gas tank farms,and all the trucking companies there.Hundreds of tractor trailers use that road every day.

LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #37 on: May 3rd, 2008, 1:02am »

Pumpers,I just did a little sniffing..The article said the track was being renewed TO the Grimes industrial park,but there's already track in the Grimes park,you're right,that's the one where Sather's is..The NEW track is going to run to the Centerpoint park,although there's no mention of Centerpoint in the article..[guess we know more than the reporter,LOL!!] I never really payed much attention to those parks,even though they're both only a half mile or so from my home/business,never really payed attention to the names..

mike_nepa
Historian

« Reply #38 on: May 3rd, 2008, 8:21am »

Two years ago as we walked that section, we did see up to Sathers drive where the track had laid dorment for years yet we saw where trees had been cut out of the tracks. The crossing at Suscon Rd/Bear Creek rd would need a new bridge since the tracks are already higher then the road.  

Looking at the map of the other park (centerpoint) the way they have it aligned to Armstrong rd and the way the tracks ran. It would seem they will have to move the tracks and eliminate the last part of the curve and run it straight if its to follow the diagram they have of the park.  

We were lucky to photograph it when we did, it might be the last photos of the way the tracks were originally.  

I was hoping to get back to that area to try to see if we can catch where the WB&E breaks off these tracks and heads towards Springbrook. We couldn't come up from the Route 502 way due to private property. We wanted to see if there was any remains of Summit Switch.

Do you know when they plan reconstruction of this part of the line?

Mike

mike_nepa
Historian

« Reply #39 on: May 3rd, 2008, 8:23am »

on May 3rd, 2008, 1:02am, LOU_D wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Pumpers,I just did a little sniffing..The article said the track was being renewed TO the Grimes industrial park,but there's already track in the Grimes park,you're right,that's the one where Sather's is..The NEW track is going to run to the Centerpoint park,although there's no mention of Centerpoint in the article..[guess we know more than the reporter,LOL!!] I never really payed much attention to those parks,even though they're both only a half mile or so from my home/business,never really payed attention to the names..

Do you have a link for that article?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »