Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Sep 26th, 2017, 3:48pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Walking the Wilkes Barre & Eastern
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   Fallen Shortlines
(Moderator: Henry)
   Walking the Wilkes Barre & Eastern
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Walking the Wilkes Barre & Eastern  (Read 2906 times)
LV LOU
Historian
Re: Walking the Wilkes Barre & Eastern

« Reply #40 on: Feb 21st, 2006, 6:43pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Bill,I'm not sure exactly what line it is,but I've followed it to the back of Huntsville dam on a terraserver[I lose it after that,too much development] but I lose it only about a mile from where the LV crossed 309.it pretty much parallels 118,and crosses it in several places.It runs only a few feet from the far south tip of the lake the ricketts glen hotel is on,and runs through Montoursville,and I've easily been able to follow it past Lock Haven,but it definately goes farther.I just didn't have time to keep going.It has to be a rail line,there are what definately appear to be railroad bridges crossing rivers and ravines,and it runs too straight to be a road or powerlines.It's also interupted in many areas by newer construction...

When it hits the fan,be the fan...
Bill_Branches
Banned User
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #41 on: Feb 21st, 2006, 7:12pm »

(Message removed by author request)

Banned for a general disrespect of our forum and its members.
LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #42 on: Feb 22nd, 2006, 12:18am »

I can't get a link on here for it..I'm gonna take a ride up there in the next week or so,and see what the heck it is.

When it hits the fan,be the fan...
XPLORER
Historian

« Reply #43 on: Mar 27th, 2006, 6:53am »

on Mar 3rd, 2005, 8:42am, njvike wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Charlie,

There's another book by the Railrodians of America called the "New York Susquehanna & Western by Walter A. Lucas. It was originally printed in 1939 and published again in 1980. It's a great book that even shows some of the stations on the WB&E. It might be hard to find but my wife fond it on eBay for $20. A real buy.

Keep an eye open for it.

Charlie/Guys
I went to 2 meets yesterday (Leesport & Palmerton) and at the second one I found the book but was out of cash LOL! Anywho I am going to send the guy a check and he is going to send the book. From what I got to see of it good WB&E stuff in it. Even the Kingston Station and more about the Plains area. I love this long gone Railway. It causes more arguments and confusion when it comes up. I wish I could find the book Bill B was talking about.  

http://forums.railfan.net/forums.cgi?board=fallenshorts;action=display;num=1137469720

« Last Edit: Mar 27th, 2006, 6:55am by XPLORER » Logged
Andyt293
Historian

« Reply #44 on: Apr 6th, 2006, 8:31pm »

Rick, the Osterhout library used to have a copy of a copy of the book.  For some reason,the copy the library has does not contain actual photographs but instead has sketches of the photographs.  I think it is in the reference section.

If I stand in Grandma's back yard in Georgetown and close my eyes real tight, I can still hear CNJ freights grinding up the backtrack......and smell the smoke from the brake shoes of a Tuscan Century 628 as it leads NE-84 through Georgetown Interlocking on its way to a meet with the D&H at W-B.....
Andy_S
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #45 on: Aug 17th, 2006, 10:22pm »

The Mountaintop Lodge on 940 in Pocono Pines has a nice big photo of a WB&E train passing in front of their main building many years ago.   It was in the dining room last time I was there (11/03), uh, the photo, not the train.  I was amazed that anyone could track down the ROW near Stroudsburg on Topozone, Terraserver or any related site.

sleauber
TRAINing

« Reply #46 on: Feb 1st, 2007, 10:20pm »

Hello,

I have been following this thread all over this site.  I grew up in the reeders area.  I can shed some light on a bunch of these questions.  

1. In the original post the map that was shown had the reeders station and the tannersville station filp flopped.  I would like to see some photos from the reeders station if there is any out there.  

2.  Apparently at the Tannersville station there is a rock ledge where some of my relatives had carved their names and were still visible .  I remember my dad telling me this when we used to snowmobile from somewhere around the rinker switch to camelback mountain.  

3.  The Ice houses are not still around trout lake or raiders lake.  At least I am not aware of them being there.  There is a replica near Tobyhanna of a Ice house.

4.  The reeders station I think was off of Wallingford road neat the fire hall, but I am not sure of this at all.

5.  If you have an Idea of where you are going alot of this row is still here.  I moved out of the area in 98 I need to get back to some of my old haunts.

6. The old shops are the katz scrap yard in stroudsburg.  Ths yard used to be visible from route 80.  This may have now been absorbed by LaBar village.  

7. The row must have conneted with the lackawanna near east stroudsburg somewhere.  I would sugest starting near walmart and head towards Deleware Water Gap on the lackawanna row.  You will probobly find a junction there somewhere.

-Steve

sleauber
TRAINing
  reeders.jpg - 51852 Bytes
« Reply #47 on: Feb 3rd, 2007, 9:32pm »

If anyone is sill out there.  I Talked to my grandfather today and he said that he remembers my greatgrand father saying that the old reeders station was between the general store and the old hotel (now a resturant).  This maked sence because it would be on the home run to Mountain sprins lake houses and the camel back climb as I remember.  I will try to post a ppic. of the old station that I found in cyber space.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/fallenshorts/reeders.jpg
Click Image to Resize

edlvrr
Enthusiast

« Reply #48 on: Mar 16th, 2007, 8:46pm »

That old WB&E-D&H connection continued until at least 1948. The 1948 ORER lists Yatesville as a point of interhcnage between the two roads. Ed Miller always tells me that the WB&E crossed route 15 on a bridge east of Oak Street, where the dip is.
A gentleman from Avoca, Mr. Hobbs, who is well into his 90s, worked for the Erie and El into the 60s signing on in 1925. He recalled the WB&E crews bunking at Avcoa yard, the bunkhouse was at the end of St. Marys rd. He said they were real mountain men, not like the coal crackers in Avoca, and tended to stick to themselves.

mike_nepa
Historian
  Ricketts.jpg - 21298 Bytes
« Reply #49 on: Jun 28th, 2007, 10:01am »

on Feb 20th, 2006, 7:09pm, Lou_D. wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Charlie,I don't know about topo maps,but on a terraserver[Microsoft Virtual Earth],I followed what definately appears to be a rail line.It crosses below the south tip of what you call Ganoga lake,it almost looks like it goes [went..] right across what could have been the dam..I followed it all the way to near Lock Haven going west,and the Lehman Golf Course going east.I haven't had time to try to pick it up past the golf course. It pretty much paralells 118,and crosses it in several places.

I did some research in the area. My Topo program shows an old RR grade in that area. I looked it up using my SPV atlas and sure enough here it is. It was a Lehigh Valley line and there is a branch of it that does go to Gangoa Lake.
Next time we go to the state park we will have to check it out.

Mike

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/fallenshorts/Ricketts.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Bill_Branches
Banned User
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #50 on: Feb 8th, 2008, 12:36pm »

(Message removed by author request)

Banned for a general disrespect of our forum and its members.
mike_nepa
Historian
  WBE_1.jpg - 130486 Bytes
« Reply #51 on: Feb 10th, 2008, 6:33pm »

Here are topo maps of that area This is the crossing at I-380

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/fallenshorts/WBE_1.jpg
Click Image to Resize

mike_nepa
Historian
  WBE_2.jpg - 136832 Bytes
« Reply #52 on: Feb 10th, 2008, 6:35pm »

Crossing I-80. We did see abutments in at Pocono lake but only could take pictures from afar.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/fallenshorts/WBE_2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

pumpers

View Profile  

« Reply #53 on: Feb 21st, 2008, 8:50am »

on Mar 16th, 2007, 8:46pm, edlvrr wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Ed Miller always tells me that the WB&E crossed route 15 on a bridge east of Oak Street, where the dip is.

I'm an out-of-towner, following by maps on line.  Where is Route 15?  I
see a 315 next to I-81, but I think the WBE crossing there was south of Oak St,down near where Pittston Ave hits 315, or maybe a little north of there.

Also, there is an underpass under the turnpike (476) just south of where
the Oak St hits 315.  I suspect this underpass was originally built to carry the turnpike over the WBE.  Anybody have any ideas on that?  
See this 1959 map with the WBE still on it, going under 476.
ftp://ftp.dot.state.pa.us/public/pdf/BPR_PDF_FILES/Maps/Type_10_GHS_Historical_Scans/Luzerne_1959_Sheet_1.pdf    
I haven't checked adjacent counties (use the same web address, just cut the Luzerne.... off the end of it to get the whole list), but I bet you  
could use that to follow the WBE even better than on the topos.  
JS

XPLORER
Historian

« Reply #54 on: Feb 21st, 2008, 12:10pm »

JS,
This link:

http://www.pennpilot.psu.edu/photos1940s/luzerne_1939/luzerne_1939_photos_jpg_400/luzerne_101038_arb_20_12.jpg

will explain it all.

From the A in ABR (top right hand of page) go stright down to about half the picture there you will see the WB&E cross the LVRR backtrack and to the right of that is 315.
If you follow the WB&E to the left you will see it intersect the D&H. If you follow either the D&H or the LVRR back towards the top of the picture you will see Oak St. They both cross it.

None of the overpasses in the highways are for the WB&E ROW.  

RR

pumpers

View Profile  

« Reply #55 on: Feb 29th, 2008, 8:58am »

Explorer, thanks, that is a good old photo.  The D&H and LV/RBMN are where they always were, and the picture makes it easy to follow the WBE.    

I still have 2 questions --  

1.  I'm still puzzled by the quote of Edlvrr above that says  
"WB&E crossed route 15 on a bridge east of Oak Street, where the dip is".   Does he mean 315?  The WBE crossed 315 south of Oak St. though, not really east.  Where is this dip?  

2.   The 1959 map link I give above shows the WBE going under the PA turnpike Northeast Extension (and also the CNJ Everhard branch going under the turnpike too just south of the WBE). I know the WBE and probably  the Everhart branch were not active in 1959, and probably both were not active when the turnpike was built, but maybe when they built the turnpike they had to preserve the railroad ROW, and built a bridge over it, and that is why the 1959 map shows the WBE and Everhart branch going under the turnpike.  Assuming this is true, I wonder what happened to the underpasses when the rails got pulled up?  Did they re-use the underpass for a modern road, or did they dig up the turnpike, fill the underpasses in completely and remove the abutments, etc, and rebuilt the turnpike without a trace of the former overpass.    Or maybe the 1959 map is wrong and there were no overpasses over the WBE and Everhart branch ROW's when they built the turnpike.  
JS
on Feb 21st, 2008, 12:10pm, XPLORER wrote:       (Click here for original message)
JS,
This link:

http://www.pennpilot.psu.edu/photos1940s/luzerne_1939/luzerne_1939_photos_jpg_400/luzerne_101038_arb_20_12.jpg

will explain it all.

From the A in ABR (top right hand of page) go stright down to about half the picture there you will see the WB&E cross the LVRR backtrack and to the right of that is 315.
If you follow the WB&E to the left you will see it intersect the D&H. If you follow either the D&H or the LVRR back towards the top of the picture you will see Oak St. They both cross it.

None of the overpasses in the highways are for the WB&E ROW.  

RR

« Last Edit: Mar 4th, 2008, 11:00am by pumpers » Logged
restore_RV15
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #56 on: Mar 28th, 2010, 9:55pm »

Thank you everyone for all your information.  I drive across a WB&E ROW everytime I leave my house, but all i knew about was that it was a subsidiary of the Susquehanna and that it goes around Camelback.  I do also know that the current ShopRite in Stroudsburg (unless what I read was a lie) used to be the site of the old Stroudsburg WB&E yard.  The train station museum on Ann Street is apparently the old Stroudsburg station, but it was relocated to its current spot.

Pages: 1 2 3  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »