Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jul 23rd, 2017, 6:43pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Walking the Wilkes Barre & Eastern
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   Fallen Shortlines
(Moderator: Henry)
   Walking the Wilkes Barre & Eastern
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Walking the Wilkes Barre & Eastern  (Read 2901 times)
trainwatcher1100

View Profile  

Re: Walking the Wilkes Barre & Eastern

« Reply #20 on: May 21st, 2003, 5:35pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Ah, now I get it!    Hard to believe there was so much "stuff" there back in the day. And wow, what a hump at the station! Thanks, Bill and Charlie for a great glimpse of history. - Bob

Alco83

« Reply #21 on: May 21st, 2003, 6:51pm »

Very cool before-and-after, Charlie.

Parkersburg Branch: Monongah Division
American Rails: Resource Guide to American Railroading
ARF: A Family-friendly Railfan Community!
CNJGreen
Chaser

« Reply #22 on: Oct 4th, 2003, 7:55am »

This string has been very informative and enjoyable!  We, too, enjoy hiking old abandoned (and not so old) ROWs.  Are you aware of any ROWs further west, in the area of Kresgeville/Kunkletown/Jonas?  Was there a railroad that served the Sailorsburg area?  We visit these parts of the Poconos occasionally, and would love to see/hike/learn about railroad history in the area.

Time machines will be built for rail historians.
duplexdrive
Chaser

« Reply #23 on: Oct 25th, 2003, 5:49pm »

Saylorsburg was served by the Lehigh and New England with a branch off the main line in the Wind Gap area. Kunkletown was served by the Chestnut Ridge Railway out of Palmerton. As far as I know, Jonas and Kresgeville never had any railroad service.

« Last Edit: Oct 25th, 2003, 5:50pm by duplexdrive » Logged

Along the old WB&H, waiting for the next trolley to arrive.

Russell Heintzelman
hummel1237
Historian

« Reply #24 on: Nov 1st, 2003, 8:43pm »

Well, this is near me too! I'll see what I can dig up...Jim...

Charlie_O
Historian
  WBE_Reeders_maps.jpg - 119004 Bytes
« Reply #25 on: Jul 21st, 2004, 6:24pm »

Did the WB&E also haul ice from the mountain lakes?  Old topo maps suggest that there were spurs and ice houses.  Some evidence is visible in recent aerial photos as well (see image).
-Charile

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/fallenshorts/WBE_Reeders_maps.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Some days, the most interesting person you meet is a river with a train running beside it.
NS3360
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #26 on: Jul 21st, 2004, 6:38pm »

Well it sure looks like they did   I too have been trying to cover the old r-o-w when I'm in the area. Does anyone know if the remains of those ice houses are intact?

Moderates: Traction, ALCO, GVT Short Lines, Short Lines

njvike
Historian

« Reply #27 on: Mar 3rd, 2005, 8:42am »

Charlie,

There's another book by the Railrodians of America called the "New York Susquehanna & Western by Walter A. Lucas. It was originally printed in 1939 and published again in 1980. It's a great book that even shows some of the stations on the WB&E. It might be hard to find but my wife fond it on eBay for $20. A real buy.

Keep an eye open for it.

Charlie_O
Historian

« Reply #28 on: Mar 3rd, 2005, 11:53am »

on Mar 3rd, 2005, 8:42am, njvike wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Charlie,

There's another book by the Railrodians of America called the "New York Susquehanna & Western by Walter A. Lucas. It was originally printed in 1939 and published again in 1980. It's a great book that even shows some of the stations on the WB&E. It might be hard to find but my wife fond it on eBay for $20. A real buy.

Keep an eye open for it.

Thanks, Ken... I will.

Some days, the most interesting person you meet is a river with a train running beside it.
LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #29 on: Jan 15th, 2006, 6:15pm »

on May 19th, 2003, 4:49am, Bill_Branches wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Here is Laflin/Yatesville WB&E station site as it appears today. Photo 1 of 3. Bill B.
Hi Bill!! Just wondering,where is this location in relation to the abutment pic? I was looking at the abutment and surrounding area today,and an abandoned connection to the D&H from the WB&E appears to be to the right of the abutment on the pic.It looks like it's on a branch from the mainline.I went out with XPLORER today,we didn't get a heck of a lot of pics,it was just WAY too cold,but We're gonna be mapping out and documenting pretty much anything we can find in the area.

« Last Edit: Jan 15th, 2006, 6:16pm by LV LOU » Logged

When it hits the fan,be the fan...
LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #30 on: Jan 16th, 2006, 1:02am »

Hey,anybody in the stroudsburg area have any idea where the WB&E ends there??Does it cross 33,or end before it?

Bill_Branches
Banned User
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #31 on: Feb 19th, 2006, 3:06pm »

(Message removed by author request)

Banned for a general disrespect of our forum and its members.
WVTransplant

View Profile  

« Reply #32 on: Feb 20th, 2006, 2:35am »

on Jul 21st, 2004, 6:24pm, Charlie_O wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Did the WB&E also haul ice from the mountain lakes?  Old topo maps suggest that there were spurs and ice houses.  Some evidence is visible in recent aerial photos as well (see image).
-Charile

Can you work your magic here, also?  I'm looking for my own ice railroad.  -- http://forums.railfan.net/forums.cgi?board=fallenshorts;action=display;num=1140148666 .

This is such a great forum - thanks folks.

« Last Edit: Feb 20th, 2006, 2:39am by WVTransplant » Logged
Charlie_O
Historian

« Reply #33 on: Feb 20th, 2006, 9:35am »

Adam -

Did some research, but so far no good news to report.  Topo and historic maps of the region show no rail lines in the vicinity of Lake Leigh, Lake Rose, Lake Jean, or Ganoga Lake, the main reservoirs near Ricketts Glen SP.  The nearest line was a branch (probably LV) to the town of Ricketts itself (NE of the park).  Wild Fowl Pond (SE of Ricketts) is man-made, and appears on maps from the 1950s but not from the 1930s.  Side note: by the 1950s maps, the RR branch has vanished and is indicated as a dirt road.  

Sorry. Wish I could do better for ya.
-Charlie

WVTransplant

View Profile  

« Reply #34 on: Feb 20th, 2006, 5:52pm »

Thanks for trying - it is appreciated.

When I am back in the area from school, I plan to go to the lands with a GPS so I can "drop breadcrumbs" as I walk the old roadbeds.  Perhaps I will be able to figure out something.

LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #35 on: Feb 20th, 2006, 7:09pm »

Charlie,I don't know about topo maps,but on a terraserver[Microsoft Virtual Earth],I followed what definately appears to be a rail line.It crosses below the south tip of what you call Ganoga lake,it almost looks like it goes [went..] right across what could have been the dam..I followed it all the way to near Lock Haven going west,and the Lehman Golf Course going east.I haven't had time to try to pick it up past the golf course. It pretty much paralells 118,and crosses it in several places.

« Last Edit: Feb 20th, 2006, 11:37pm by LV LOU » Logged

LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #36 on: Feb 20th, 2006, 7:13pm »

on Feb 19th, 2006, 3:06pm, Bill_Branches wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Lou that Yatesville station was at the bridge over D&H,the track that went down the ramp,you took a pic of was behind it.WB&E went to Gravel Place,Pa. interchange with PRR there. I need to find my book! Lou-master of N scale- you know a old fellow in Plymouth named aka- Jack-not into N scale? lol BILL B.

Bill,I know about the station already.I researched it with Xplorer a while ago,I found out there was also a WB&E yard behind that abutment. Jack just re-opened,he's been closed for three months,he lost his toe from Diabetes..And,oh yeah,You do know me.....

WVTransplant

View Profile  

« Reply #37 on: Feb 20th, 2006, 9:42pm »

Lou,

Would you mind highlighting a small portion where the line goes north of Ganoga?  I can't seem to place it as I now search.

LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #38 on: Feb 20th, 2006, 11:36pm »

Adam,what are you looking for it on? I'm using microsoft windows live local,if you go on the site,just search for Ricketts glen state park.The park and the hotel should come up,but you have to be in the general area,or it will tell you to zoom out.Go to the hotel,it's on the lake.The track runs right on the tip of the south shore.It's pretty easy to find without even doing that.It pretty much parallels 118 for miles,although you can't see track,just the clear area.

Bill_Branches
Banned User
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #39 on: Feb 21st, 2006, 7:38am »

(Message removed by author request)

Banned for a general disrespect of our forum and its members.
Pages: 1 2 3  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »