Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Apr 26th, 2018, 8:25pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

William H. May, Station Agent... where in north NJ?
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   The Mainline
   The Concourse
(Moderator: Forum Admin)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: William H. May, Station Agent... where in north NJ?  (Read 15 times)
Paul_in_NJ
TRAINing
View Profile  

« on: Apr 3rd, 2018, 11:32pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Some background: My historical society recently became the caretaker of a 1720 house in Pequannock Twp NJ. I'm doing some research on the families who lived there through the centuries.

Between 1891 and 1916, the family of Lockwood & Jessie May lived there. They had a son, William Henry May. The 1910 US Census lists his occupation as "Station Agent, railroad".

Now, this house -- the Martin Berry House -- is a short walk from the Pompton Plains NJ station, which was on the NYS&W line and before that... well, you-all know the history I'm sure. But he might not have been the agent there.

Here's the thing: according to that Census, the May family was not living at the MB House but on Boonton Turnpike, a few miles away. So maybe he was at the Pompton Plains station, or at some nearby station? Maybe Pequannock, or Mountain View, or Towaco, or... ??

I would like to find out which station (stations?) Mr. Bill May may have worked at.  

How would one find out this info?  

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »