Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jul 24th, 2017, 10:53pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Son interested in Trains.
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   The Mainline
   The Concourse
(Moderator: Forum Admin)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Son interested in Trains.  (Read 60 times)
P-Triscuit
TRAINing
View Profile  

« on: Dec 28th, 2016, 3:24pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

My son's name is Eli and he is just about 2 years old. We live in the burbs of Chicago and he is becoming a big fan of the trains in the area. We watch railfan videos on Youtube at night to calm him and get him ready for bed and sometimes I'll put a few on during the day.  

So, I've started to learn a little more about trains than the average joe, for his sake. As far as Youtube goes, does anyone have any recommendations for great train videos? All sorts seem to interest us.  

Also, as my son gets older, how do I encourage his hobby of railfanning? What kinds of things can I teach/show him?

Anyone have any toy recommendations?

- Anything is helpful. Merry Christmas!

Lfire83
Historian
Re: Son interested in Trains.

« Reply #1 on: Dec 28th, 2016, 11:49pm »

Welcome to the forums! Depending on what you like, there are many great youtube channels and videos to choose from.  

Delay in Block Productions (modern railfanning), fmnut (very good historical videos), GS&F MP137G (a good friend of mine with south Georgia videos), and Frank (that's his actual username, great railfanning videos from around Chicago) are just a few to get you started.  

Chicago has some of the best railfanning in the whole country, with almost all of the major carriers in the country running through and around the city, so there's always something new to see and it never gets dull. There's a lot of good resources on this site, so perhaps someone local will chip in. I've been there before and it was a memorable time.  

The Illinois Railway Museum in Union, IL is a good place to start with questions. It's a massive facility with everything from a steam locomotive backshop to streetcars and a nice compliment of diesel power and passenger cars.

FRMRRC Director at Large
CGMRRC Member
Norm_Anderson
Historian

« Reply #2 on: Dec 30th, 2016, 9:53am »

Hi, P-Triscuit, and Welcome!

You might look up "Choo-Choo Bob" on YouTube.  It is a series of children's shows that aired briefly on a local PBS Station in the Twin Cities, that forms an introduction to trains, specifically geared to younger children.  It has a certain amount of gentle zaniness to it, and it doesn't require the longer attention span of more "serious" railroad videos.

Since you live in the Chicago area, you might consider (and you may be way ahead of me on this one!) taking a few trips on the METRA together, and just let him look out the window and enjoy being with you.

If you think he would be intimidated by the size and noise of trains up-close and in-person, Lfire83's suggestion of the Illinois Railway Museum in Union is excellent.  Your son could walk up to them, touch them, and get used to them on his terms.  Since it won't be warm enough for that for several months, however, in the interim he might get a kick out of the big model railroad at the Museum of Science and Industry.  They also have a restored, famous old steam locomotive (No. 999), and the very first "Streamliner," the Zephyr, built in 1934.

Even if he's seen some of these things before, repetition and the building of "tradition" are good things.

Whether this interest of his is a "phase," or whether it blossoms into a lifelong interest, is something only time will tell.  But in the meantime, the bonding he is experiencing with you, whether around trains or anything else, is all to the good.

Regards,

Norm

HwyHaulier
Historian

« Reply #3 on: Dec 31st, 2016, 8:00am »

P-T - Lodge Members -

Great to have you here! Noted excellent suggestions, hints and tips...

Not to be fatalistic, but your writer an old hand at transport, and always it about safety.
Please start early and often to mentor your son to stay away from live tracks. Ages ago,
and he is a much older son of my own these days, we lived a couple dozen yards from the
CNW Main in CGO area. Son was not walking around and independent then.

We then moved on to work in Northern California, and resided in an apartment, located  
directly next to ESPEE San Francisco Line. Son was getting older. Your writer made very
strong points to son. That is: Getting him up to speed as a good swimmer, so to deal
with the apartment complex pool. And, always the cautions, stay away from the ESPEE
tracks.

It all worked for me...

.......................... Vern....................

Ticket Agent serving...Pacific Stage Lines...Washington State System...Mt. Hood Stages...Pickwick Stages...Transcontinental & Western Air Lines.... Admitted Gold Bug..... Observant Orthodox Mossback..... H.M.R.A.O. Curmudgeons......
P-Triscuit
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #4 on: Jan 4th, 2017, 10:21am »

Thanks for the help, we appreciate it!

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »