Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Oct 20th, 2017, 4:52am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Rail fanning near Belen NM?
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   The Mainline
   The Concourse
(Moderator: Forum Admin)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Rail fanning near Belen NM?  (Read 156 times)
Dogoth
Enthusiast
View Profile   WWW  

« on: Jul 21st, 2016, 8:24pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I'm thinking of retiring soon and was looking at the Belen NM area as a place to buy a retirement home. Rail fanning is of course only one of the factors in this consideration but does anyone live in the area south of Albuquerque and is it good for train watching (or living for that matter ?

NYC_Subway_Fan
Historian
Re: Rail fanning near Belen NM?

« Reply #1 on: Jul 21st, 2016, 9:32pm »

I can't speak to living in NM, much less south of ABQ.  However, having visited Albuquerque to ride their commuter rail system RailRunner, I can tell you that one can view BNSF's transcon from the RailRunner platform at Belen.

Alan,

Take care and take trains!
Norm_Anderson
Historian

« Reply #2 on: Jul 21st, 2016, 10:34pm »

Dogoth, I don't live in New Mexico, but I have driven through there several times.  The state lives up to its moniker, Land of Enchantment.

Belen is located on BNSF's "Transcon," so the train-watching possibilities should be plentiful.  In addition to the east-west Transcon, there is also a line running along the Rio Grande River, north through Albuquerque to Raton Pass, and south to El Paso.  Amtrak does not pass through Belen; the Southwest Chief, after leaving Albuquerque westbound, diverges at Isleta.

North of Albuquerque, you could railfan the line from Lamy to Santa Fe.  Glorieta Pass (perhaps a hour beyond Lamy) is beautiful; Raton Pass would be a bit ambitious for a "day trip," but would be terrific for a long weekend.  All of these places are BNSF territory; farther east along I-40, at Santa Rosa, UP action awaits along the former SP/RI "Golden State Route" mainline that parallels US 54.

The Rio Grande Valley can be oppressively hot in the summertime.  Perhaps locating a bit to the east, closer to Mountainair, might be more pleasant?  Of course, in the higher elevations the winters are a bit chillier, so maybe it's a tradeoff.

This may be a weird suggestion, but since you are retiring (and, I presume, looking at a steady income), might it be prudent to rent a place out there for a year or so, so you can get the lay of the land, and decide at leisure what the best option for you might be?

At any rate, I think New Mexico would be a terrific place to retire, and I wish you well.

Regards,

Norm

« Last Edit: Jul 21st, 2016, 10:43pm by Norm_Anderson » Logged
HwyHaulier
Historian

« Reply #3 on: Jul 24th, 2016, 11:24am »

Dogoth - Norm - Lodge Members -  

Your writer concurs with observations from Norm. In your own "profile" here, note you based at Reno? The US a very big country,  
and it is just over 1,000 miles to Belen. Here, the history being Belen a vital point (still is) on former AT&SF RR.

On source, www.zillow.com it reports local real estate buys at Belen are quite modest. So that apparent good values.  
So perform "due diligence" checking, perhaps good to follow local news outlets (print and TV), and other credible 'net sources.

In considering Belen? It might be well to take a couple weeks at a local motel, and adjust to realties of the scene? The "danged  
old train" can only go so far in considerations? (SIGH! Just as I wanted to flee the Northeast, to perhaps reside at Twin Falls, ID?)

...........................Vern.......................

Ticket Agent serving...Pacific Stage Lines...Washington State System...Mt. Hood Stages...Pickwick Stages...Transcontinental & Western Air Lines.... Admitted Gold Bug..... Observant Orthodox Mossback..... H.M.R.A.O. Curmudgeons......
Dogoth
Enthusiast
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #4 on: Aug 14th, 2016, 8:28pm »

Thanks Norm and HwyHaulier:

The BNSF yard there is sizeable with tracks leading in & out in 4 directions. I was aware of the local passenger service between Belen & Santa Fe (Very reasonably priced) and would use this as my connection to an Amtrak ticket from Albuquerque.

OT from railfanning - Sorry

Yes I spent several days in Belen recently doing just that (checking out the local living conditions). Being long term regularly employed but of modest means, this area seemed to suit me fine. Reno's proximity to CA has pushed prices and social policies in a direction I'm not fond of (Love California but could never live there . Yes Belen has some crime due to it's proximity to the Mexican border but it's mostly isolated to the outlying areas. I've restricted my search to more "in town" properties. Already living in the high desert, I'm used to (and somewhat prefer) hot & dry. The climate is like Reno with similar highs yet higher lows (perfect, I can live with less snow).

My plan is to buy an income property for a few years and eventually move there (retirement is still a few years away) using the equity in my current home to pay it off (wife is gone, kids are grown and I don't need the sq' I have now). As long as the real estate market doesn't tank like in 08, I can always change my mind in the interrum and sell with little to no loss.

IF I move, I will (as always) be a respectful rail fan, doing my best to stay off easements and (most importantly) staying safe and out of the way.

Thanks again for your replies.

Cheers

« Last Edit: Aug 14th, 2016, 8:30pm by Dogoth » Logged
HwyHaulier
Historian

« Reply #5 on: Aug 16th, 2016, 8:23am »

Dogoth - Norm - Lodge Members -

Something of a visceral response here? For myself, a decided reluctance to "dice roll" retirement money. That is: Why commit  
to one particular real estate property, and trust one's luck it to be a "remote control" investor in it? Better to place the funds in  
some shares of, say, Warren Buffett "faves" of Coca-Cola or BNSF? (Buy on dips, but your writer not an investment adviser,  
and never played one on TV!)

Nice buys on properties come and go. Why sink funds into one particular offering? Some time later, it may not be what one wants?  
Example? On 'net services, your writer noticed a very nice, in town property in Pocatello. It would have fit some needs of a few  
years back. A problem with the site, it was on an old, established, "in town" lot which lacked a larger back yard. True story...
Recall Pocatello a vital point in the UPRR System...

............................... Vern.........................

Ticket Agent serving...Pacific Stage Lines...Washington State System...Mt. Hood Stages...Pickwick Stages...Transcontinental & Western Air Lines.... Admitted Gold Bug..... Observant Orthodox Mossback..... H.M.R.A.O. Curmudgeons......
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »