Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 23rd, 2017, 3:28pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

UK Rail pics
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   The Mainline
   The Concourse
(Moderator: Forum Admin)
   UK Rail pics
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: UK Rail pics  (Read 259 times)
centercab
Historian
Re: UK Rail pics

« Reply #20 on: Nov 7th, 2016, 1:33pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Your pics are much appreciated! As I will likely never get to England I have been watching the preserved steam locomotives they run via YouTube. The British have a steam program twice as good as we have here in the US. I was surprised to learn that the Brits only gave up on steam in the mid 1960's and many of their nice passenger express locomotives were saved from scrap. I like the clean un-cluttered boilers on those engines. Many videos depict the four cylinder "Castle" class 4-6-0 engines at near full stride with eight or nine coaches in tow. 60 to 70 mph! We do not see that here in the USA often. NS & CSX cant seem to see their way clear to permit a variety of steam on their rails. All we really have is Southern #611 & NKP 765 here in the eastern US and mainline access for those engines is spotty at best. England is lucky for the steam they have and make good use of.
I know there are several small tourist steam RR's scattered across the country where a person can see steam operating but they pale in comparison to what the Brits are doing.

Love that Solyndra!
CPRail4744
Historian
Re: UK Rail pics
  DSC_0852.jpg - 136410 Bytes
« Reply #21 on: Jan 13th, 2017, 1:53pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/concourse/DSC_0852.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Matt Arnott, Kamloops, B.C.

"I would prefer to see it shipped by train..."
Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint