Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Oct 20th, 2017, 4:56am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

1st issue of Erie Magazine Employee Magazine 1905
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   The Mainline
   The Concourse
(Moderator: Forum Admin)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: 1st issue of Erie Magazine Employee Magazine 1905  (Read 125 times)
Shiner79
TRAINing
View Profile  

« on: Dec 3rd, 2015, 2:46pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Hello there, I was wondering if anyone can offer any leads into tracking down an article in the first issue of the Erie railroad employee magazine. My great great grandfather was a locomotive engineer and his obituary is posted on page 209 of the 1905-10 issue. His name was Samuel Meredith from Buffalo, N.Y.
I would appreciate any and all information pointing me in the right direction to look.  
Thank you,
James

tommy meehan
Historian
Re: 1st issue of Erie Magazine Employee Magazine 1905

« Reply #1 on: Dec 5th, 2015, 5:20pm »

James depending on where you live a public library might be your best hope. Do you live in New York State? The New York (City) Public Library has the volume you're looking for but it is a reference copy and cannot be taken out by a borrower. Here's the listing with the volume you want: Link

There are several ways to get it. First, visit the New York Public Library (NYPL). However, the Erie employee magazines are stored off-site and must be requested several days in advance. (You can make the request by email.) If you can't get to the library but you're a resident of New York State, or live in the New York City area, you could probably request your local library get the book on an inter-library loan. Depending on how far you are from New York City there might be a delivery fee. The other way, since you know the exact issue and page number, is to have NYPL make a copy for you. It's not cheap -- as much as $30.00 -- and they send the copy as a PDF via email. Here's a link for that: Copy link

If you decide to order a copy probably the best thing to do is to first contact the library for information as to how to go about it. Here's a link to their help site: NYPL Help

Good luck. I've been going to the NY Public Library for close to twenty-five years and have almost always found them to be helpful and supportive. If you tell them what you're trying to do you can usually count on a librarian figuring out a way you can do it.  

Henry
Historian

« Reply #2 on: Dec 5th, 2015, 5:35pm »

I agree with Tommy, the best way is locate it at a library. The NYC Public Library is probably the most reliable and accessible source.

Henry

tommy meehan
Historian

« Reply #3 on: Dec 6th, 2015, 8:16pm »

Henry looking at World Catalog the New York Public Library seems to be the only library that has Vol. 1. Link to catalog search Twelve libraries are listed and only three of them -- New York, Rochester and Buffalo -- are public libraries. The rest are historical society or university libraries (plus the Center for Research Libraries in Chicago). But only New York shows Vol. 1 as being in their collection. (New York has almost a complete collection.)

One oddity is, the employee magazine was first published with the title, "Erie Railroad Employe's Magazine" (using the archaic spelling for "employe") and in 1916 the title seems to have been changed to "Erie Railroad Magazine."  

I have looked at almost all the volumes NYPL has. Vol 1. starts with March 1905 and runs to February 1906. It comes in a hard-cover bound volume that contains all twelve issues. The poster asked about the 1905-10 issue. I think that would be Vol.1 No. 10, the December 1905 issue.

Shiner79
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #4 on: Jan 29th, 2016, 3:37pm »

Thank you guys for your ideas and help! I live in Seattle and tried doing an inter library loan through Seattle library but they said they could not find and libraries that had that issue. They also were not very helpful in searching though. So I am trying to obtain copies of that page through the New York library system. Thank you for providing that link. I've got my fingers crossed. If all else fails I will just have to visit the Buffalo public library next time I make it into Buffalo to visit family. I grew up in Lackawanna. Thanks again for your time and help! James

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »