Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jul 24th, 2017, 10:53pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Locomotive Spotting/Tracking
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   The Mainline
   The Concourse
(Moderator: Forum Admin)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Locomotive Spotting/Tracking  (Read 69 times)
Pony
TRAINing
View Profile  

« on: Sep 23rd, 2015, 1:51am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Hi all,

I've been lurking these boards for a long while, but never really chimed in...

Through the years I've had my picture taken with many locomotives. Occasionally I'll use railpictures.net to look up my favorites and I've always thought it was really cool to see all the different parts of the country that it's been.

Then I got to wondering if there was a website, perhaps something similar to wheresgeorge.com, that tracked locomotives and where they've been instead of dollar bills.

Does anyone know of such a site?

If not, does anyone think that this would be something neat? If there seems to be any interest I'd be willing to combine my railfan and tech sides to work on something...

Cheers all!

CHESSIEMIKE
Historian
View Profile  

Re: Locomotive Spotting/Tracking

« Reply #1 on: Sep 23rd, 2015, 11:36am »

Greetings Pony. While it does not cover all locomotives, HERITAGE UNITS does provide tracking on some of the more special units out there. I personally would find it a little more than daunting to track all units on all railroads.
CHESSIEMIKE

Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
Pony
TRAINing
View Profile  

Re: Locomotive Spotting/Tracking

« Reply #2 on: Sep 23rd, 2015, 7:06pm »

Awesome, thank you! This is very much what I was thinking of! While this is a narrower scope than what I was thinking, it is very much along the line. I certainly hadn't imagined ALL roads, something like this would really only be interesting for Class I railroads; short lines don't travel very far.

Thanks again!

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »