Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Aug 21st, 2017, 12:03pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Trains outside your window when you aren't close to a mainline
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   The Mainline
   The Concourse
(Moderator: Forum Admin)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Trains outside your window when you aren't close to a mainline  (Read 105 times)
northernilrailfan
TRAINing
View Profile  

« on: Apr 20th, 2015, 1:18pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

My latest project has kept me busy for months. Gathering lineside audio (not radio scanner traffic, but real ambient natural sound) from the BNSF Mendota Sub. This all stems from missing the sounds of a busy line near one's residence or workplace. (I had grown up in Dixon/Nelson, IL near the CNW)  

My perfect scenario is to have a busy main line, freight and passenger, within a mile or so, at least 2 grade crossings within several minutes of each other but far enough away so as not to be disturbed by bells.

I found the perfect spot, and have over 1000 hours (and growing) of stereo audio and am streaming it here. I use my own server, so there are no ads or pop-ups.

As it actually happened, you'll hear Interstate 80 in the distance when the wind is north, an occasional vehicle close-by, Illinois rainstorms and songbirds and crickets and best of all, the frequent freights on the BNSF. Amtrak runs 8 daily trains on this line and the Princeton depot is within earshot of these recordings, It is fun to listen to how quick (or not) the dwell times are; there are grade crossings just before the depot in both directions and the amount of time between these crossings and the eventual "two longs" when departing can vary greatly

I've slept better these last few nights with the one or two trains an hour coming from the stream. All audio is mixed well enough that levels are consistent except when a breezy south wind carries the sound right to my recording spot.

Please give a listen and your opinions!

Many thanks,
Mark

click this link to get to stream page- http://www.aplacebythetracks.com/

[/url]http://www.aplacebythetracks.com/[url]

« Last Edit: Apr 21st, 2015, 9:05am by northernilrailfan » Logged
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »