Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Apr 26th, 2017, 5:39pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Trains, TV, Movies, & Other Media
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   The Mainline
   The Concourse
(Moderator: Forum Admin)
   Trains, TV, Movies, & Other Media
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  ...  16 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Trains, TV, Movies, & Other Media  (Read 5746 times)
ErieAtlantic7597
Historian
Re: Trains, TV, Movies, & Other Media

« Reply #80 on: Oct 17th, 2005, 10:41am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Guys,

What was the name of the picture that had a retired steamer pulling a load of some kind of seafood to market, and they ran out of coal, so the folks on the train asked the people of the town to donate coal from their houses. I can see the whole locomotive, I think it was a 4-8-2 of one of the New England roads. Man, I wish I could remember the name. Also had famous actress and actors. Of course, I can't remember their names either.  Help me out here.

Bruce

Harvey Springstead
Former Member

« Reply #81 on: Oct 17th, 2005, 10:52am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

on Oct 17th, 2005, 10:41am, ErieAtlantic7597 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
  Guys,

What was the name of the picture that had a retired steamer pulling a load of some kind of seafood to market, and they ran out of coal, so the folks on the train asked the people of the town to donate coal from their houses. I can see the whole locomotive, I think it was a 4-8-2 of one of the New England roads. Man, I wish I could remember the name. Also had famous actress and actors. Of course, I can't remember their names either.  Help me out here.

Bruce
  "IT HAPPENED TO JANE", (1959), starring America's sweetheart, Miss Doris Day and the late Jack Lemmon. The railroad was the fictitious E&P, and, toward the end of the film, we get to see two NH FL-9's re-lettered for the E&P! Was a great old film, certainly one a railfan can enjoy!!

« Last Edit: Oct 17th, 2005, 10:57am by RARITAN_CLOCKER » Logged
ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #82 on: Oct 17th, 2005, 11:12am »

Thanks, John. The movie had some good railroad shots in it. But you had to get through most of the flick to see them.

Thanks again,

Bruce

Harvey Springstead
Former Member

« Reply #83 on: Oct 17th, 2005, 11:44am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

Bruce: Yep, the good railroad shots were near the end, but, as they say, "better late than never!"  

toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #84 on: Oct 17th, 2005, 4:29pm »

on Oct 17th, 2005, 9:37am, ErieAtlantic7597 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
  Guys, I must be really slipping. Remember the movie Gone Fishin, with Joe Pecie and Danny Glover. The railroad part of the picture was done right here in SW Florida on the Seminole Gulf Railway. In fact, I've ridden in the same caboose that appears in the film.
   The scene is where the guys are stuck on a railroad crossing. with the fishing boat on a trailer. And here comes the train. Somehow, the anchor line gets caught on the caboose, and down the track goes the fishing boat, trailer and all.  

Just thought I'd throw that one in.

Take care,

Bruce  

I'd forgotten this one also. It's hilarious! Thanks for helping me remember it. So many movies have featured trains in them, I can't possibly remember them all.  

toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #85 on: Oct 17th, 2005, 4:31pm »

on Oct 17th, 2005, 9:46am, Harvey Springstead wrote:       (Click here for original message)
      In the 1968 comedy, "Where Angels Go, Trouble Follows" Rosalind Russell plays (again) a Mother Superior who accompanies a busload of her girls across country to an interfaith youth rally in California. While still in Pennsylvania, the school bus (a 1968 International) stalls on a grade crossing, just as the warning lights start to flash and the bells start to clang. Tragedy is averted by a slit-second (it IS a CLOSE one!!), and in a flash, you can spot the distinctive SF "Warbonnet" scheme on the lead diesel........NOT something commonly seen in PA back in 1968!! Ahh, the magic of Hollywood!!  (also, the streamlined consist is assuredly Santa Fe!!)

Thanks for bringing up this one. Just another of many I don't recall seeing. I'll surely keep an eye out for it.

toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #86 on: Oct 17th, 2005, 4:37pm »

on Oct 17th, 2005, 10:04am, NS3360 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Hah yeah, I remember that. That's very similar to a Twilight Zone episode where a lady stalls at a crossing and it's also a very close one. Only this time it's an SP Daylight passenger consist.  

The Twilight Zone! I'm pretty sure I've seen all the episodes. More than one had trains in it. Remember the episode where the guy riding the commuter train finds out he's really on a model railroad? That's probably my favorite. Rod Serling sure could spin a wild tale!

Henry
Historian

« Reply #87 on: Oct 17th, 2005, 4:46pm »

In the 1984 baseball movie The Natural (it's been on AMC this past weekend) the team travels by train and they have a clip of a steam locomotive pulling a train toward the camera and then the going away shot of stainless cars with The Chief on the observation car drumhead.

There is also a great interior station scene of a bustling Buffalo Central Terminal concourse before the terminal's owners and looters had the opportunity to loot and trash it. Most of the movie was shot in Buffalo, including most of the ballpark scenes at the old War Memorial Stadium ("The Rockpile") which is long gone now.

Henry

toddsyr

View Profile  

Cool_Hand_Luke_Running.jpg - 15212 Bytes
« Reply #88 on: Oct 17th, 2005, 4:50pm »

on Oct 17th, 2005, 10:09am, NS3360 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Just thought I'd add another, one of my all-time favorite movies, Paul Newman as 'Cool Hand Luke' (1967). There are scenes of some cars at a railroad yard with a station, plus he runs along some tracks and a long drawbridge which I think is the ATSF Middle River Bridge. I know toddsyr saw my post about that...

Yep, I remember that post. We never did hear any information on the bridge. Here's another shot from Cool Hand Luke, origins of the famous line, "What we've got here, is failure to communicate." Photo from:

http://tinyurl.com/cujdk

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/concourse/Cool_Hand_Luke_Running.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Oct 17th, 2005, 4:51pm by toddsyr » Logged

Henry
Historian

« Reply #89 on: Oct 17th, 2005, 4:53pm »

on Oct 17th, 2005, 10:52am, Harvey Springstead wrote:       (Click here for original message)

"IT HAPPENED TO JANE", (1959), starring America's sweetheart, Miss Doris Day and the late Jack Lemmon. The railroad was the fictitious E&P, and, toward the end of the film, we get to see two NH FL-9's re-lettered for the E&P! Was a great old film, certainly one a railfan can enjoy!!

It was on TCM in the past couple of weeks and will be on again a week from today at noon and then again on Sunday, November 13 at 12:30 PM. I thoroughly enjoyed it even though the railroading parts of it were very silly

Henry

toddsyr

View Profile  

Greatest_Show_Wreck.jpg - 25682 Bytes
« Reply #90 on: Oct 17th, 2005, 5:01pm »

on Oct 17th, 2005, 10:18am, Passenger_Extra wrote:       (Click here for original message)
How many can remember the great trainwreck scene in The Greatest Show on Earth
with Betty Hutton and Jimmy Stewart?

PX

Thanks for the post Passenger_Extra. Yet another of Hollywood's works I'll have to keep an eye out for. I don't ever remember seeing it, but here's a shot of the wreck from:

http://tinyurl.com/d64gn

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/concourse/Greatest_Show_Wreck.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Oct 17th, 2005, 5:01pm by toddsyr » Logged

Henry
Historian

« Reply #91 on: Oct 17th, 2005, 5:07pm »

Sullivan's Travels (1941) is on TCM Wednesday at 6:00 PM EDT.

"A filmmaker masquerades as a hobo to get in touch with the little people. Joel McCrea, Veronica Lake, William Demarest."

Good steam era train scenes abound throughout the movie.

Henry

toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #92 on: Oct 17th, 2005, 5:09pm »

on Oct 17th, 2005, 4:46pm, Henry wrote:       (Click here for original message)
In the 1984 baseball movie The Natural (it's been on AMC this past weekend) the team travels by train and they have a clip of a steam locomotive pulling a train toward the camera and then the going away shot of stainless cars with The Chief on the observation car drumhead.

There is also a great interior station scene of a bustling Buffalo Central Terminal concourse before the terminal's owners and looters had the opportunity to loot and trash it. Most of the movie was shot in Buffalo, including most of the ballpark scenes at the old War Memorial Stadium ("The Rockpile") which is long gone now.

Henry

Nice to see you kicking in here Henry.  I have seen The Natural, but it's been quite some time. I'm sure with all the Buffalo scenes, you thoroughly enjoyed this film! I'm sure I will next time I see it, since now knowing a little more about the locale.

toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #93 on: Oct 17th, 2005, 5:12pm »

on Oct 17th, 2005, 5:07pm, Henry wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Sullivan's Travels (1941) is on TCM Wednesday at 6:00 PM EDT.

"A filmmaker masquerades as a hobo to get in touch with the little people. Joel McCrea, Veronica Lake, William Demarest."

Good steam era train scenes abound throughout the movie.

Henry

I appreciate the heads up on this, as I have yet to see it. Wednesday is one of my nights off, so looking forward to seeing it in a couple of days! Thanks!

Passenger_Extra
Historian

« Reply #94 on: Oct 17th, 2005, 5:18pm »

on Oct 17th, 2005, 5:01pm, toddsyr wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Thanks for the post Passenger_Extra. Yet another of Hollywood's works I'll have to keep an eye out for. I don't ever remember seeing it, but here's a shot of the wreck from:

http://tinyurl.com/d64gn

I was only six or seven when I saw it.  In the movie, RB&BB circus train was running in two sections, the first section with all the parade wagons and equipment was stopped somehow by the bad guys, and when the flagman come out of the caboose to protect the rear of his train, another villain knocked him out.   Presumably, that was enough to cause a rear end collision with the second section carrying all the pullmans.  (I know, I know)  Guess it was in unsignalled territory.

It was all done on table tops of course but it was a helluva mess.  Enough to keep a wreckmaster busy for a week!

PX

Not good on trains 1, 2, 5, 6, 25 & 26 west of Washington D.C. and trains 27 & 28.
toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #95 on: Oct 17th, 2005, 5:44pm »

Wreckmaster. Now that's a job title that's new to me. I never know what new things I'll learn from everyone's posts! Usually it's most of a new post that I learn from, but it's great when a little piece of extra knowledge is in there as well. When the New York State Fair runs in late August into September, it's right here in Syracuse. Alot of the equipment for this still comes in by rail, circus cars and TOFC's. This train however has shortened over time. I didn't see any coaches this year.

Passenger_Extra
Historian

« Reply #96 on: Oct 17th, 2005, 6:39pm »

on Oct 17th, 2005, 5:44pm, toddsyr wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Wreckmaster. Now that's a job title that's new to me. I never know what new things I'll learn from everyone's posts! Usually it's most of a new post that I learn from, but it's great when a little piece of extra knowledge is in there as well. When the New York State Fair runs in late August into September, it's right here in Syracuse. Alot of the equipment for this still comes in by rail, circus cars and TOFC's. This train however has shortened over time. I didn't see any coaches this year.

Your only seeing part of it, they own around 25 to 30 cars, Its quite an eclectic consist.  Quite a few rebuilt heavyweights and Budd stainless.   BNSF brought it down to San Diego last year with a couple SD70's in Santa Fe livery.  Yee-haw!

Wreck Master is an old term from the days of the steam cranes with the 50 and 100 ton hooks when they actually tried to salvage as much as they could!

PX

Not good on trains 1, 2, 5, 6, 25 & 26 west of Washington D.C. and trains 27 & 28.
toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #97 on: Oct 18th, 2005, 5:10am »

I wondered if that was the whole circus train or not, thanks. Thanks also for defining wreckmaster, but that's exactly what popped into my mind! Love those big hooks. Right now, it just came on TV, Little House On the Prairie. Not a big fan of the show, but his episode is called The Runaway Caboose. In it, Charles and Mr. Edwards race to rescue Mary, Laura, and a friend from a runaway caboose. The yellow steel caboose has wooden ends ( for the close-ups ) and   is lettered for the fictional St. Paul Minneapolis and Manitoba RR. It threatens to run into " The Special ", with all the top railroad brass onboard.

« Last Edit: Oct 18th, 2005, 5:39am by toddsyr » Logged

Passenger_Extra
Historian

« Reply #98 on: Oct 18th, 2005, 9:39am »

on Oct 18th, 2005, 5:10am, toddsyr wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I wondered if that was the whole circus train or not, thanks. Thanks also for defining wreckmaster, but that's exactly what popped into my mind! Love those big hooks. Right now, it just came on TV, Little House On the Prairie. Not a big fan of the show, but his episode is called The Runaway Caboose. In it, Charles and Mr. Edwards race to rescue Mary, Laura, and a friend from a runaway caboose. The yellow steel caboose has wooden ends ( for the close-ups ) and   is lettered for the fictional St. Paul Minneapolis and Manitoba RR. It threatens to run into " The Special ", with all the top railroad brass onboard.

That would be embarrassing!

The wreck train back home was kept ready to go.  It had its own siding next to the car shop,  It had a wreck crane and a utility crane, 5 or 6 gons, a kitchen, an old  pullman with a first aid station and office, a camp car, and 2 cabooses.

PX

« Last Edit: Oct 18th, 2005, 10:24am by Passenger_Extra » Logged

NS3360
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

MiddleRiver.jpg - 14799 Bytes
« Reply #99 on: Oct 18th, 2005, 12:58pm »

on Oct 17th, 2005, 4:50pm, toddsyr wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Yep, I remember that post. We never did hear any information on the bridge. Here's another shot from Cool Hand Luke, origins of the famous line, "What we've got here, is failure to communicate." Photo from:

http://tinyurl.com/cujdk

Well I did a little research. The station in the movie says Holt, so I looked at a map of Holt, California. Well about 3 or 4 miles west of Holt, lies the Middle River Drawbridge. So I'm positive that's the drawbridge in the movie.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/concourse/MiddleRiver.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Moderates: Traction, ALCO, GVT Short Lines, Short Lines

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  ...  16 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »