Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. May 28th, 2017, 6:34pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Trains, TV, Movies, & Other Media
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   The Mainline
   The Concourse
(Moderator: Forum Admin)
   Trains, TV, Movies, & Other Media
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  ...  16 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Trains, TV, Movies, & Other Media  (Read 5831 times)
NS3360
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

Re: Trains, TV, Movies, & Other Media

« Reply #60 on: Oct 9th, 2005, 11:58am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Another one I mentioned elsewhere on this forum is the movie 'In The Heat Of The Night' from 1967. Scenes of GM&O passenger trains, a few Missouri Pacific freights and some more GM&O trains at the end of the movie.  The show of the same name from the late 80s/early 90s also featured some trains every now and then...

Moderates: Traction, ALCO, GVT Short Lines, Short Lines

NS3360
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #61 on: Oct 9th, 2005, 12:05pm »

Also...just about all of Clint Eastwood's movies feature at least one train or something railroad related. To name a few:

The Gauntlet- Scenes of a Magma Arizona freight (Clint hops the train)

Dirty Harry- Scenes of San Fransisco streetcars and the old North Western Pacific trestle which has now been torn down

Two Mules For Sister Sara- A trestle is blown up along with a steam train

Every Which Way But Loose- Has a scene at a crossing when a Modesto Traction (I think) train crossing and a few boxcars are in the background being loaded at a team track

Some others were mentioned already also...

toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #62 on: Oct 9th, 2005, 1:47pm »

NS3360, thanks for the additional posts. You mention some great movies. I've seen them all, but they escaped my memory. Thanks for the refresher. Of the films you mention, the Gauntlet is probably my favorite. Poor Clint fights all odds to get the job done!

NS3360
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #63 on: Oct 9th, 2005, 8:33pm »

Yeah they were all pretty good movies. Yet another one (they keep popping in my head) I remember was the movie Bonnie and Clyde from 1967. I remember seeing either ATSF boxcars or covered hoppers in the movie, haven't seen it in a while...

toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #64 on: Oct 10th, 2005, 12:22am »

Bonnie & Clyde! A great flick, just make sure to see the unedited version. I don't remember the freight car type either, but will surely pay attention next time I see it.

toddsyr

View Profile  

Gleasons_Private_Car.jpg - 17741 Bytes
« Reply #65 on: Oct 10th, 2005, 6:05pm »

Jackie Gleason was one of the greatest stars of our time, starring in many many tv shows and motion pictures. Many don't realize he had a fear of flying, so he owned his own private rail car. More information and some nice interior shots can be found where I got this pic from.

http://tinyurl.com/bnpnc

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/concourse/Gleasons_Private_Car.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Oct 10th, 2005, 6:05pm by toddsyr » Logged

Pennsy
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #66 on: Oct 10th, 2005, 6:12pm »

Hi All,

In the words of Reginald Van Gleason III, " Drinking's Swell With Lionel !"

Dyed in the wool PRR fan.
toddsyr

View Profile  

RVG.jpg - 9583 Bytes
« Reply #67 on: Oct 10th, 2005, 6:41pm »

LOL, here's a pic of Reggie from:

http://tinyurl.com/b3g6q

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/concourse/RVG.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Oct 10th, 2005, 6:41pm by toddsyr » Logged

RDG484
Former Member

« Reply #68 on: Oct 10th, 2005, 8:43pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

on Oct 10th, 2005, 6:41pm, toddsyr wrote:       (Click here for original message)
LOL, here's a pic of Reggie from:

http://tinyurl.com/b3g6q

Mmmmmmmmmm, that's good booze!!  

How sweeeeeeeeet it is!!  

« Last Edit: Oct 10th, 2005, 8:44pm by RDG484 » Logged
toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #69 on: Oct 10th, 2005, 10:11pm »

on Oct 10th, 2005, 8:43pm, RDG484 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Mmmmmmmmmm, that's good booze!!  

How sweeeeeeeeet it is!!  

LOL!

http://haminahamina.com/Away.wav

toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #70 on: Oct 13th, 2005, 5:50am »

I'm currently watching a Timmy & Lassie show with Lassie the dog in it. It's called " The Nest Episode #6212.
Lassie adopts a duck's nest. " A two man track gang is clearing the tracks of weeds and small trees on an apparently out of use track, ready for a new customer. When they approach a spot where a duck has nested on the tracks, Lassie & Timmy make them stop, saving the duck. The only train seen is almost at the end. It stops just in time for the ducks offspring to hatch. You only see the train for a moment. It looks to be lettered for Southern RR. It looks like a Baldwin or Alco and sounds like an Alco, but of course, I've never heard a Baldwin for comparison.

« Last Edit: Oct 13th, 2005, 6:03am by toddsyr » Logged

NS3360
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #71 on: Oct 13th, 2005, 7:23am »

I remember they show quite a few trains on the orignal Lassies..haven't seen the show in ages tough.  Don't know if anyone ever saw the Dean Martin movie where he plays secret agent Matt Helm from the mid to late 1960s, but most of those movies have trains in them or at least you can catch a glimpse of something railroad related. I'm not sure about the last movie though, there were four I believe...

NS3360
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #72 on: Oct 13th, 2005, 2:03pm »

Also, the Steve Mcqueen movie 'The Hunter' from 1980. Opening scene shows him waiting at a railroad crossing as an Elgin, Joilet & Eastern SW switcher switches gondolas

toddsyr

View Profile  

The_Hunter.jpg - 7001 Bytes
« Reply #73 on: Oct 14th, 2005, 2:13am »

I don't believe I've seen the Dean Martin flicks, but will keep an eye on the cable guide. As for the Steve McQueen movie " The Hunter ", don't forget about the subway chase at the films finale. I haven't seen this in a long enough time period to enjoy it again. Hope it's on again soon!

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/concourse/The_Hunter.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Oct 14th, 2005, 2:13am by toddsyr » Logged

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #74 on: Oct 17th, 2005, 9:37am »

Guys, I must be really slipping. Remember the movie Gone Fishin, with Joe Pecie and Danny Glover. The railroad part of the picture was done right here in SW Florida on the Seminole Gulf Railway. In fact, I've ridden in the same caboose that appears in the film.
   The scene is where the guys are stuck on a railroad crossing. with the fishing boat on a trailer. And here comes the train. Somehow, the anchor line gets caught on the caboose, and down the track goes the fishing boat, trailer and all.  
   Just thought I'd throw that one in.

Take care,

Bruce  

Harvey Springstead
Former Member

« Reply #75 on: Oct 17th, 2005, 9:46am »

In the 1968 comedy, "Where Angels Go, Trouble Follows" Rosalind Russell plays (again) a Mother Superior who accompanies a busload of her girls across country to an interfaith youth rally in California. While still in Pennsylvania, the school bus (a 1968 International) stalls on a grade crossing, just as the warning lights start to flash and the bells start to clang. Tragedy is averted by a slit-second (it IS a CLOSE one!!), and in a flash, you can spot the distinctive SF "Warbonnet" scheme on the lead diesel........NOT something commonly seen in PA back in 1968!! Ahh, the magic of Hollywood!!  (also, the streamlined consist is assuredly Santa Fe!!)

« Last Edit: Oct 17th, 2005, 9:48am by RARITAN_CLOCKER » Logged
NS3360
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #76 on: Oct 17th, 2005, 10:04am »

Hah yeah, I remember that. That's very similar to a Twilight Zone episode where a lady stalls at a crossing and it's also a very close one. Only this time it's an SP Daylight passenger consist.

NS3360
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #77 on: Oct 17th, 2005, 10:09am »

Just thought I'd add another, one of my all-time favorite movies, Paul Newman as 'Cool Hand Luke' (1967). There are scenes of some cars at a railroad yard with a station, plus he runs along some tracks and a long drawbridge which I think is the ATSF Middle River Bridge. I know toddsyr saw my post about that...

Passenger_Extra
Historian

« Reply #78 on: Oct 17th, 2005, 10:18am »

How many can remember the great trainwreck scene in The Greatest Show on Earth
with Betty Hutton and Jimmy Stewart?

PX

Not good on trains 1, 2, 5, 6, 25 & 26 west of Washington D.C. and trains 27 & 28.
Harvey Springstead
Former Member

« Reply #79 on: Oct 17th, 2005, 10:25am »

on Oct 17th, 2005, 10:04am, NS3360 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Hah yeah, I remember that. That's very similar to a Twilight Zone episode where a lady stalls at a crossing and it's also a very close one. Only this time it's an SP Daylight passenger consist.  

Yep, that classic TZ episode, "DEATH, THE HITCHIKER" (I believe that's the title), has Inger Stevens starring, and her car, which stalls at the crossing, is a 1960 Mercury.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  ...  16 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »