Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. May 24th, 2017, 2:23am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Trains, TV, Movies, & Other Media
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   The Mainline
   The Concourse
(Moderator: Forum Admin)
   Trains, TV, Movies, & Other Media
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Trains, TV, Movies, & Other Media  (Read 5824 times)
toddsyr

View Profile  

Re: Trains, TV, Movies, & Other Media

« Reply #300 on: Nov 13th, 2011, 10:42pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I've got to agree with some of what you say Marty, but... given the rest of the tripe offered on TV lately, I'll continue to watch the story line. For now anyways.

Todd K. Stearns

HwyHaulier
Historian

« Reply #301 on: Nov 14th, 2011, 12:02pm »

Marty -  

I appreciate your - how shall we say - prickly critique. I saw some of it last week, and last night.

My daughter, now a practiced scholar of media, with a trenchant remark, more or less: "...just a knockoff of MAD MEN, and BOARDWALK...".  
Likely, she is on to something.

There's a couple or so "Technical Direction" points which compel the curious to fact check. The writers did select truly contentious sets of events  
in long gone history. Whether they are shooting for slavish in supporting facts? I don't know...

....................Vern................

Ticket Agent serving...Pacific Stage Lines...Washington State System...Mt. Hood Stages...Pickwick Stages...Transcontinental & Western Air Lines.... Admitted Gold Bug..... Observant Orthodox Mossback..... H.M.R.A.O. Curmudgeons......
Norm_Anderson
Historian

« Reply #302 on: Nov 15th, 2011, 12:38am »

I'll wager that the true story of the real "Hell on Wheels" is far more compelling.

Regards,

Norm

toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #303 on: Nov 15th, 2011, 10:10pm »

Hi Norm,

I figured "Hell On Wheels" was something the network made up. Where might one read up on this?  

Todd K. Stearns

Norm_Anderson
Historian

« Reply #304 on: Nov 16th, 2011, 2:35am »

Hi, Todd,

My memory may be fuzzy on a few points here, but as I recall, the real "Hell on Wheels" was an unauthorized "Tent City" that shadowed the Union Pacific construction crews westward across the prairies during the buiding of the Transcontinental Railroad.  Though it may have contained a few legitimate entrepreneurs (or not), it is most remembered as a collection of gambling halls, makeshift saloons, and brothels whose chief purpose was to separate the laborers from their pay.   Law enforcement and regulation were, shall we say, tentative at best, and railroad workers literally entered the camp at their peril, and some reportedly paid with their lives.  One report (which I have been unable to confirm) said that the railroad tried to get these hangers-on and parasites to cease and desist, and when the railroad's entreaties were met with derision, the Bluecoats (perhaps under Gen. Philip Sheridan) were called in to get the job done.

As I say, I may be fuzzy on a few details here, and welcome correction, but I'll still bet the true story has more intrigue and danger (and, possibly, valor) in it than the fictionalized version.

Regards,

Norm

« Last Edit: Nov 16th, 2011, 2:38am by Norm_Anderson » Logged
HwyHaulier
Historian

« Reply #305 on: Nov 16th, 2011, 11:05am »

Norm -  

Likely you have it all characterized correctly. Evidently, you have seen much more on the TRANSCON RAILROAD  
than most. Were we to "Time Line" the events, recall the contemporary booms in Gold and Silver, especially. The  
myriad "Prospectors" were all over the map, including much activity in Alaska.

A distinction, however, the TRANSCON RAILROAD an enormous FEDERAL GOV project! Two "Prime Contractors"  
on the deals (UPRR and CPRR). So that, effectively the Contractors had to be the Law, over entire route. Surely,  
they had willing support from FED DEFENSE forces to back them up.

.......................Vern.......................

Ticket Agent serving...Pacific Stage Lines...Washington State System...Mt. Hood Stages...Pickwick Stages...Transcontinental & Western Air Lines.... Admitted Gold Bug..... Observant Orthodox Mossback..... H.M.R.A.O. Curmudgeons......
toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #306 on: Nov 16th, 2011, 9:33pm »

on Nov 16th, 2011, 2:35am, Norm_Anderson wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Hi, Todd,

My memory may be fuzzy on a few points here, but as I recall, the real "Hell on Wheels" was an unauthorized "Tent City" that shadowed the Union Pacific construction crews westward across the prairies during the buiding of the Transcontinental Railroad.  Though it may have contained a few legitimate entrepreneurs (or not), it is most remembered as a collection of gambling halls, makeshift saloons, and brothels whose chief purpose was to separate the laborers from their pay.   Law enforcement and regulation were, shall we say, tentative at best, and railroad workers literally entered the camp at their peril, and some reportedly paid with their lives.  One report (which I have been unable to confirm) said that the railroad tried to get these hangers-on and parasites to cease and desist, and when the railroad's entreaties were met with derision, the Bluecoats (perhaps under Gen. Philip Sheridan) were called in to get the job done.

As I say, I may be fuzzy on a few details here, and welcome correction, but I'll still bet the true story has more intrigue and danger (and, possibly, valor) in it than the fictionalized version.

Regards,

Norm

Thanks for the informative reply Norm. I have read about these temporary towns many times. I didn't know your reference to a "Hell On Wheels" was directed toward these. I've been a bit ill, so please excuse my oversight.  

I would wager that your quite right when saying "the true story has more intrigue and danger (and, possibly, valor) in it than the fictionalized version."

It's probably one of those things that historians have painted a bit prettier than it actually was. The native American situation alone would speak volumes.  

Todd K. Stearns

Nimbusfilms
TRAINing
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #307 on: Nov 29th, 2011, 3:14pm »

Hello all,
I have just completed a documentary film,
The Hidden Wonder of the World, the Transcontinental Railroad from Sacramento to Donner Summit" and it is  for sale, for just $15.95. To order a DVD, please send a check for $15.95 to Nimbus Films, 4520 Shari Way, Granite Bay, CA 95746.  This includes shipping an taxes.

Description:

For the first time the hidden wonders of one of America's greatest construction and engineering feats are revealed on camera. Come along and visit the abandoned granite tunnels, stunning trestles, gigantic cuts and breathtaking scenery traversed by the Transcontinental Railroad. People come from all over the world to see these hidden sites. Now you can travel to the summit of the Sierra Nevada and marvel at how the master engineers and builders of the 1860s accomplished this heroic deed. Perfect for history, railroad and travel fans!

Check out the website at www.transcoshow.com

Thank you!!!

Bill G
toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #308 on: Feb 19th, 2012, 6:15pm »

"Trains & Travel" magazine.

A friend of mine has a couple of these old magazines from 1953. It was put out by Kalmbach Publishing. The title on the front cover is even done in the same lettering style as "Trains" magazine. There's very little about this magazine to be found on the 'net.  

Can anyone shed some more light on this? When was it started? Ended? Did they just merge it with "Trains"? Thanks.

Todd K. Stearns

Marty_Feldner
Historian

« Reply #309 on: Feb 19th, 2012, 9:12pm »

Not a separate magazine- "Trains & Travel" was a short lived (and, in that timeframe) title for 'Trains' magazine. I have bunches of 'em buried in the attic- my father started buying Trains just after the war, and I have his collection.

Without digging, I can't say for sure if that was the original title, or it was changed and then changed back.

Update- just looked at Klambake's print ad (can't say about an online ad) for their 70th anniversary DVD; the illustration shows the original title was Trains, then changed to Trains & Travel, then back to Trains.

toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #310 on: Feb 19th, 2012, 10:32pm »

Thanks for clearing up that little mystery Marty.  

Todd K. Stearns

Norm_Anderson
Historian

« Reply #311 on: Feb 19th, 2012, 11:22pm »

Wow, what a warm memory that title stirs for me-- it was my Dad's copy of the Trains & Travel Annual for 1953 (which I discovered tucked away in our basement in 1961) that opened my eyes to reading about trains.  I literally wore out the magazine with my perusings.  The cover was a Howard Fogg painting of Warbonnet PA's racing across the desert toward the viewer-- inside were articles like "Great Feats of Railroad Engineering"-- Horseshoe Curve, Zoo Junction, CP's Spiral Tunnels, etc.  My favorite article was a "you-are-there" story called Operation:Streamliner, chronicling a fireman's run from Los Angeles to Las Vegas on the UP's City of Los Angeles.  I think it was this issue of this magazine that changed this nine-year-old from a kid who loved trains into a railfan.

Regards,

Norm

« Last Edit: Feb 19th, 2012, 11:26pm by Norm_Anderson » Logged
George_Harris
Historian

« Reply #312 on: Feb 19th, 2012, 11:55pm »

on Feb 19th, 2012, 9:12pm, Marty_Feldner wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Not a separate magazine- "Trains & Travel" was a short lived (and, in that timeframe) title for 'Trains' magazine. I have bunches of 'em buried in the attic- my father started buying Trains just after the war, and I have his collection.

Without digging, I can't say for sure if that was the original title, or it was changed and then changed back.

Update- just looked at Klambake's print ad (can't say about an online ad) for their 70th anniversary DVD; the illustration shows the original title was Trains, then changed to Trains & Travel, then back to Trains.

Started as Trains.  Don't know the exact start and end of Trains and Travel was somewhere in the early 1950's.  I think the start was post 1950.  I know the end was pre 1959.

HwyHaulier
Historian

« Reply #313 on: Feb 20th, 2012, 9:45am »

George - Gentle Readers -  

Ah! So long ago, there was a massive complex of Streamliners in place, covering the entire Nation. Predated Jet Airliners!

Also, check the "Wayback Machine" for this one: Recall when Kalmbach tried a "Ships And The Sea" (or something like  
that) in same era? Before the St. Lawrence Seaway wrecked Buffalo?

..........................Vern.........................

toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #314 on: Feb 20th, 2012, 5:17pm »

Glad you got a kick out of it Norm.

Vern- Ships and Sailing, 1951-1959.

See:

http://www.kalmbach.com/en/About%20Kalmbach/Timeline/User%20Friendly%20Version.aspx

Just about every Kalmbach item on their. Except Trains & Travel of course.

Todd K. Stearns

mikeparkridge
Chaser

« Reply #315 on: Dec 10th, 2012, 7:47pm »

Remember I SPY with Bil Cosby and Robert Culp?  They're in China after a missing train.

Never heard anything qite as goofy.

mikeparkridge
Chaser

« Reply #316 on: Dec 27th, 2015, 6:38pm »

I maybe showing my age here.

Some of you maybe remember a PBS series called "The Electric Company."

It was a reading series which ran from 1971-1985 though they ceased production after the 6th season.

This particular segment deals with the car sound as the train yard worker or whatever you call him  puts a freight train together with R words.

Later you have to of the kids sing a song.

A bit dorky but entertaining.

Also the worker is a young Morgan Freeman.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsHc9588Ies  

Don't think he became big till years later.

« Last Edit: Dec 27th, 2015, 6:39pm by mikeparkridge » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »