Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jun 26th, 2017, 5:12am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Trains, TV, Movies, & Other Media
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   The Mainline
   The Concourse
(Moderator: Forum Admin)
   Trains, TV, Movies, & Other Media
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Trains, TV, Movies, & Other Media  (Read 5867 times)
CHESSIEMIKE
Historian
View Profile  

Re: Trains, TV, Movies, & Other Media

« Reply #280 on: Apr 5th, 2009, 10:00pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

It Happened to Jane with Doris Day, Jack Lemmon, and NYNH&HRR #3016 (AKA "old 97) was a nice surprise. More info can be found here:
http://forums.railfan.net/forums.cgi?board=RRMedia;action=display;num=1238982694

CHESSIEMIKE

Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #281 on: Apr 5th, 2009, 10:28pm »

Thanks Mike, I'll definitely be on the look out for it. I believe I saw it on the program guide but ignored it not knowing of it's railroad content.    

Todd K. Stearns

toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #282 on: Jun 14th, 2009, 12:59pm »

This movie is airing again in one hour at 2 p.m. eastern on cable channel TCM.

on Oct 6th, 2008, 7:36pm, toddsyr wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Speaking of TCM, it's short notice but just found out about the following coming on at 8p.m. eastern:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0025919/

"John Barrymore is in rare form in Twentieth Century (1934), Howard Hawks's hilarious, fast-paced screwball comedy. He plays flamboyant Broadway director-producer Oscar Jaffe, a man for whom the whole world is truly a stage. The always enchanting Carole Lombard co-stars as Mildred Plotka/Lily Garland. (Oscar demanded the name change because Mildred Plotka isn't nearly as glamorous sounding as Lily Garland.) Mildred, an aspiring Broadway actress, is remade by Oscar into a star of the New York stage. For three years he directs her plays, guides her career, and is her lover. But after they have a big disagreement, she takes off for Hollywood. Her career soars; his plummets. Time passes and then on board the Twentieth Century heading for Grand Central Station, they meet again. As usual in a Hawks film, the supporting cast is outstanding; and Ben Hecht and Charles MacArthur's screenplay is one of their finest."

Todd K. Stearns  

toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #283 on: Jul 5th, 2009, 11:34pm »

This coming Thursday (July 9, 2009) at 8 p.m. eastern on cable channel TCM  the 1939 movie "Union Pacific" will be showing . I know I'm hoping to be done work in time to see this film that has to do with the building of the Transcontinental Railroad, albeit in Hollywood's own way.  

From Wikipedia:

"Union Pacific is a 1939 film about the building of the railroad across the American West. The story is based upon the novel Trouble Shooter, written by the prolific Western fiction author, Ernest Haycox.

Plot Summary

One of the last bills signed by President Lincoln authorizes pushing the Union Pacific Railroad across the wilderness to California, but financial opportunist Asa Barrows hopes to profit from obstructing it. Chief troubleshooter Jeff Butler has his hands full fighting Barrows' agent, gambler Sid Campeau; Campeau's partner Dick Allen is Jeff's war buddy and rival suitor for engineer's daughter Molly Monahan. Who will survive the effort to push the railroad through at any cost?"

Cast

* Barbara Stanwyck as Mollie Monahan
    * Joel McCrea as Captain Jeff Butler
    * Akim Tamiroff as Fiesta
    * Robert Preston as Dick Allen
    * Lynne Overman as Leach Overmile
    * Brian Donlevy as Sid Campeau
    * Robert Barrat as Duke Ring (Campeau henchman)
    * Anthony Quinn as Jack Cordray (Campeau henchman)
    * Stanley Ridges as General Casement
    * Henry Kolker as Asa M. Barrows (banker)
    * Francis McDonald as General Grenville M. Dodge
    * Willard Robertson as Oakes Ames
    * Harold Goodwin as E.E. Calvin (telegrapher)
    * Evelyn Keyes as Mrs. Calvin
    * Richard Lane as Sam Reed"

Man with no Name
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #284 on: Jul 20th, 2009, 9:16pm »

on Aug 18th, 2008, 12:57am, Man with no Name wrote:       (Click here for original message)

There's one more show he recorded but this time the details are even more vague. It's a compilation of 8mm footage of the major railroads back in the 1940's and 50's. A road name would appear on the screen and then some  8mm footage of that particular railroad in action would be shown in a compilation. A narrator gave background info on the road names.

That one will be almost impossible to find because he caught it half way in the middle and didn't get the title. Too bad. It had some really cool footage of New Haven, Reading, Delaware and Lackawanna, even East Broad Top before it became a tourist operation.

I've finally found the name of this program. It was called The Glory Machines Vol. 1.

A preview of the exact volume he taped can be found here (preview for vol.2 begins @ around 3:20):  
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHeJGaL0wWA&feature=related

toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #285 on: Jul 20th, 2009, 9:47pm »

Wow, that looks great! LOTS of historic trains and locos to see there. Still available on-line too I see,all 5 volumes.  Thanks for remembering to post this.

Todd K. Stearns

toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #286 on: Jul 27th, 2009, 10:59pm »

I'm not much of a YouTube fan but I did find the following rather intriguing to say the least. Not in a "cool" or "neat" fashion either. It just brings into reality the forces of nature and what they can do.  

Posted on YouTube by RailFanRick on July 03, 2009:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFe0846RgWc

"January 7, 2008 ...The tornado started at 3:30 pm about 1.2 miles north of Poplar Grove in Boone county and ended at 3:48 pm about 3.2 miles north northeast of Harvard in McHenry county, Illinois.
The first signs of damage were at Quail Trap road where trees were damaged and sections of roofing were removed from a shed. A large barn was destroyed and other buildings were severely damaged. Large trees were snapped or uprooted. The tornado reached its maximum intensity of EF3 at the northeast corner of Centerville road and Beaverton road. A two story farm house and garage were leveled and large trees were stripped of all branches. The tornado was about 100 yards wide through this area.

There was damage to trees, power lines, barns, and sheds. The tornado then crossed the Boone/McHenry county line as a weak EF0 tornado with just minor tree damage at this point. It crossed Hunter road and continued to track northeast across Ryan road as an EF0 and caused mainly minor tree damage. It crossed White Oaks road then it uprooted a hardwood tree and snapped off pine trees at their base along Maxon road. The tornado intensified as it moved toward the town of Lawrence where it produced the worst damage. Significant damage occurred in the town of Lawrence particularly at a house that had more than half of its roof ripped off and garage blown out.

The tornado then moved across the Chicago and Northwestern railroad where it blew 12 railroad freight cars off the track. The train was moving at the time the tornado hit it...so as the main engine stopped...the remaining cars on the track continued along it and slammed into the front part of the train. This caused a few more cars to derail...including one containing hazardous materials that caused the evacuation of the town of Lawrence.

As the tornado moved east of Lawrence it once again started to weaken with some tree damage and shingles off of a few houses on the northeast side of town. It then ran along Oak Grove road for a stretch where it produced EF1 damage with a hardwood tree snapped at its base and knocked over an old...weakly structured barn with estimated winds around 100 mph. It then headed across farm fields and headed for hwy 14 where it damaged a metal barn and sheared a few trees. As it crossed highway 14 it flipped a semi-trailer and injured the driver at a truck stop weigh station."

Todd K. Stearns

toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #287 on: Oct 24th, 2009, 5:52pm »

Tonite at 7 p.m. Eastern time on the History Channel's Modern Marvels show:

"Presidential Movers"

The history of presidential transportation recalls the planes, trains, cars and boats that have carried chief executives, including Air Force One planes and even presidential yachts. Included: historic moments, such as Lyndon Johnson taking the oath of office aboard Air Force One following JFK's assassination.

Info from TVGuide.com

Todd K. Stearns

toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #288 on: Apr 27th, 2010, 8:40pm »

Tonight at 10 eastern on Turner Classic Movies is a film I haven't seen before  (and I get to go into work late tomorrow!):

"Killers of Kilimanjaro"

Release Year:  1960  

A civil engineer (Robert Taylor), his sidekick (Anthony Newley), native convicts and a redhead (Anne Aubrey) build a railroad across East Africa.  

Info from TV Guide

Todd K. Stearns

toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #289 on: Apr 28th, 2010, 12:12am »

It was a pretty good movie....but....98% safari, 2% trains. At least it was in color though.

Todd K. Stearns

CHESSIEMIKE
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #290 on: Apr 29th, 2010, 11:01pm »

on Apr 28th, 2010, 12:12am, toddsyr wrote:       (Click here for original message)
It was a pretty good movie....but....98% safari, 2% trains. At least it was in color though.

Todd K. Stearns

Thanks, I was going to ask what you thought of the movie.
CHESSIEMIKE

Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #291 on: Apr 30th, 2010, 12:15am »

You're welcome Mike. Like I said, it was a good movie, just wish it showed more railroad action. For what train footage there was, it was rather interesting.  A nice steam engine and some flats for carrying the porters and supplies. Looked to be a narrow gauge track.  

On another note, I'm taking a three day weekend this week. I've never asked for a day off  before in my almost 4 years at my present job but I need a breather. Anyhow, to enjoy it I purchased the Penn Central 6 Pack DVD set from Green Frog Productions. It's on sale now for $72 with free shipping. At this time they are also throwing in a Pennsylvania RR DVD at no extra cost. It's gonna be a nice long and entertaining weekend!

Todd K. Stearns

toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #292 on: Jun 11th, 2010, 12:14am »

National Geographic Channels "World's Toughest Fixes" series has a new episode entitled 'Philly's Mega Transit'. The description reads:

An 80-year-old high-voltage wire is replaced on Philadelphia's public-transportation system. Also: a train with a malfunctioning automatic control system is repaired.  

Future air date for those with Time Warner cable in the suburban Syracuse area ( and possibly many other areas as well ):

Thursday Jun 17, 5:00 PM

Info from TVguide.com

Todd K. Stearns

toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #293 on: Jul 13th, 2010, 7:00pm »

VERY SAD NEWS FOR MODELERS AND RAILFANS!

"The Model Train Magazine Index" a long standing feature of trains.com is no  more. It was very handy for looking up modeling articles and prototype articles using key words. You could simply find what issue of which magazine your   interests were in. From trains.com at:

http://index.mrmag.com/

"The Model Train Magazine Index

To our readers:

The advancement in Internet browser technology has created an insurmountable problem for the Model Train Index, which has been a fixture on Trains.com for many years.

The information in the Model Train Index and its integrated software originally were written in MS-DOS language 20 years ago by a train hobbyist on his PC as a personal project. It was not designed for the Internet and the software is unique to the index.

Kalmbach Publishing Co. purchased the index and its software many years ago. We created a website interface for the index and made the index a featured part of the Trains.com website.

Today, the progression of technologies on the Internet and the antiquated software of the Model Train Index have intersected to the point that we can no longer offer the index to our website visitors because we can no longer keep the index free of viruses or other even more significant Internet security risks.

The index software cannot be rewritten to update its security level, nor is there any method of transferring the index text information to a more modern software platform since the design of the index software and the index text information are integral to each other.

Because of these issues, we have reluctantly removed the index from Trains.com. "

Todd K. Stearns

HwyHaulier
Historian

« Reply #294 on: Oct 29th, 2010, 2:29pm »

It's Halloween again. The Science Fiction Channel (SYFY) is running
Ghost Hunters Halloween Live at 7:00 PM EDT on SU 31 OCT, with  
the feature covering BUFFALO CENTRAL TERMINAL...

..........................Vern........................

Ticket Agent serving...Pacific Stage Lines...Washington State System...Mt. Hood Stages...Pickwick Stages...Transcontinental & Western Air Lines.... Admitted Gold Bug..... Observant Orthodox Mossback..... H.M.R.A.O. Curmudgeons......
toddsyr

View Profile  

Buffalo_Central_Terminal.jpg - 63335 Bytes
« Reply #295 on: Oct 30th, 2010, 10:28pm »

Yeah, I MIGHT watch it, I don't know. It would be neat to see the inside of it. I just don't know if I can stand the "paranormal" side of it though. Maybe with the sound turned off?

Image from:

http://commons.wikimedia.org

Todd K. Stearns

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/concourse/Buffalo_Central_Terminal.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Oct 30th, 2010, 10:31pm by toddsyr » Logged

toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #296 on: Nov 29th, 2010, 11:21pm »

Today I ordered two DVD's from Revelation Video.  

http://www.revelationvideo.com/index.html

ph. 330-630-9817

I bought:

Penn Central - 76 Min. 1968 to 1976 chronicle of a troubled but exciting era, with Metroliners, Turbotrains, E-units on Flexi-Vans, and action systemwide incl. Syracuse, Pittsburgh  

And:

Through the Guide - 115 Minutes. Step back before Amtrak to watch the color and individuality of U.S. passenger trains of 40 lines, presented in the order of the Official Guide.

Both DVD's cost me $32 including shipping. From now till years end you too can get the same price for any 2 DVD's, not including multi-disc sets.  

Todd K. Stearns

JohnPatrick
Enthusiast

« Reply #297 on: Jun 18th, 2011, 1:01pm »

My favorites movies that include a train, in no particular order:

Back to the Future III
Von Ryan's Express
The Great Locomotive Chase
The Lady Vanishes
Berth Marks (Laurel & Hardy short)
Silver Streak
North by Northwest
Railroadin' (Little Rascals short)
Around the World in 80 Days
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
Murder on the Orient Express

toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #298 on: Nov 12th, 2011, 9:55pm »

In a few minutes I'm going to check out AMC's new show called "Hell On Wheels".  This is the pilot episode "A former confederate soldier journeys to the transcontinental railroad to seek revenge."

See:

http://www.amctv.com/hell-on-wheels/videos/hell-on-wheels-episode-101

For other times to see this episode:

http://www.amctv.com/schedule#series/Hell%20on%20Wheels

It seems the series will be much more a western than about trains, but the two do go hand in hand don't they?

Todd K. Stearns

« Last Edit: Nov 12th, 2011, 9:56pm by toddsyr » Logged

Marty_Feldner
Historian

« Reply #299 on: Nov 13th, 2011, 10:20pm »

I watched the first episode last week, and gave up on the show. The locomotives and trains are all (or mostly) computer generated. And not all that well done, IMHO- I've seen much better done by amateurs for MSTS.

The rest of it seems to be a 'nothing out of the ordinary' oater. Throw a little Civil War, Transcon, Western, Robber Barons, and a few sundries (including the mandatory mysterious dark secret from the past) into a pot, stir well, and regurgitate another forgetable cable miniseries.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »