Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jun 28th, 2017, 1:20pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Trains, TV, Movies, & Other Media
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   The Mainline
   The Concourse
(Moderator: Forum Admin)
   Trains, TV, Movies, & Other Media
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Trains, TV, Movies, & Other Media  (Read 5875 times)
Deech
Railfan
Re: Trains, TV, Movies, & Other Media

« Reply #260 on: Dec 24th, 2008, 7:31pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

toddsyr,

Thanks for the reply!

I looked more into that bridge and I out found out some sad news: "These reports also indicate that the salvage work will include removing both of the big bridges on the line, over Lake Britton and Highway 89" It looks like that bridge is coming down.

Merry Christmas to all!

http://www.trainweb.org/mccloudrails/News.html

« Last Edit: Dec 24th, 2008, 7:33pm by Deech » Logged
toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #261 on: Dec 24th, 2008, 10:35pm »

All,

For those who haven't yet seen it, "Locomotives" will be on History International tomarrow nite at 8 p.m. Eastern. A neat one hour show.

Deech,

Glad to make the reply, you're welcome. Too bad about the bridge but at least it will live on in film. That's better than the fate of many other railroad artifacts.

Todd K. Stearns

toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #262 on: Jan 1st, 2009, 3:30pm »

I'm currently watching an old episode of The Twilight Zone. This episode, titled "The Night of the Meek" first aired on December 23, 1960 (Season 2, Episode 11). It stars Art Carney as a drunken dept store Santa who finally makes good with a magic bag of gifts. As he gets fired from his dept. store job, he walks past a model train setup in the store. I only saw a glimpse of it but it looked to be possibly HO scale. If so, this is the earliest depiction of a model train in HO scale that I have ever seen on a TV show or in a movie.  

The episode can be viewed at:

http://www.veoh.com/videos/v6320303a9jEeFEj?rank=4&order=mr&c=dimensiodesconeguda

OR:

http://tinyurl.com/8xj54c

The first minute or so shows the layout at the store. Of course it's not as sharp as it was on TV though. The track looks to be two rail but the trains look a bit bigger than HO. S scale or American Flyer maybe? Anyone? Just curious.

Todd K. Stearns

Man with no Name
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #263 on: Jan 1st, 2009, 3:57pm »

Just had a look and those are definitely not HOs.

First off, the trains and track are way too big for HO. Secondly, you can briefly see the famous O gauge third rail (it's black so it's hard to see in wide shots). And third of all, you can see the Lionel transformer when Santa starts a train.

toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #264 on: Jan 1st, 2009, 4:06pm »

Thanks for clearing that up. I watched the first minute of it several times but still can't see the middle rail. Glad your eyes are better than mine! You're right, the transformer is a dead giveaway. I didn't see that part earlier. The track on my TV looked to be small enough for HO but I did notice the rolling stock looked to be too large. Hence my query. I appreciate you taking a look and deciphering this. Thanks!

Todd K. Stearns

toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #265 on: Jan 1st, 2009, 4:14pm »

5 minutes into it gives a much better view of the track and the transformer. the third rail is clearly visible here. I missed this entire scene the first time I viewed it. Must have been reading e-mail!  

Todd K. Stearns

CHESSIEMIKE
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #266 on: Jan 1st, 2009, 8:16pm »

Thanks for the link. Several actors from days gone by in that one.
CHESSIEMIKE

Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #267 on: Jan 1st, 2009, 8:41pm »

You're welcome Mike. Other episodes of the Twilight Zone had trains in them as well. Here's one I remember well:

"A Stop at Willoughby"- An advertising executive who has grown exasperated with the stress of the business life longs to get off a train at a stop called Willoughby.  

Todd K. Stearns

toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #268 on: Jan 3rd, 2009, 1:20pm »

Anyone needing to get caught up on episodes of Extreme Trains is in luck today. Starting at 2 pm Eastern  on The History Channel:

"Overnight Traveler"- features Amtrak's Empire Builder Chicago to Seattle service

At 3 pm:

"Circus Train"- features The Ringling Brothers and Barnum & Bailey train

At 4 pm:

"Transcontinental"- features UP's 1700 mile cross-country route which actually traverses the western US to mid-continent section only.

I've missed two out of three of these episodes so am glad to see them scheduled again.

Todd K. Stearns

Deech
Railfan

« Reply #269 on: Jan 7th, 2009, 5:25pm »

Remember the train from Back To The Future 3? I found this and I thought it might go along with the topic.  

""

""

"The train is located at a place called Railtown in Jamestown California. They have a storage area housing several of the movie props that have been used by filmmakers while filming on the Sierra. Without a doubt, the Sierra has been Hollywood's favorite location when the script calls for a train scene. The Sierra's film credits include High Noon, Duel in the Sun, Little House on the Prairie, Bound for Glory, and Back to the Future III."

http://images.search.yahoo.com/images/view?back=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.search.yahoo.com%2Fsearch%2Fimages%3Fei%3DUTF-8%26p%3Dback%2520to%2520the%2520future%2520train%26y%3DSearch%26fr2%3Dtab-web%26fr%3Dytff1-dyc&w=418&h=287&imgurl=dmcole.com%2Fsierra%2Fsierra6.jpeg&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bttf.com%2Fforums%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D19259&size=55.4kB&name=sierra6.jpeg&p=back+to+the+future+train&type=JPG&oid=98014aba1346cf20&no=20&tt=733&sigr=11h87pa1c&sigi=10u87p7f0&sigb=13q2iirai

http://www.csrmf.org/railtown/default.asp

« Last Edit: Jan 7th, 2009, 5:26pm by Deech » Logged
joneau261
Historian

« Reply #270 on: Jan 7th, 2009, 6:10pm »

And the Sierra #3 is now undergoing restoration. Who knows how many more movies it will be in after that.

Speaking of Back to the Future III, would you believe the Jules Verne, the time machine steam engine still exists? It's in Universal Studios (figures).

By the way, Southern Pacific 2-8-2 #745 makes an appearance in the currently playing "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button". It became Southern Railway 682, and it's barely there, but it's still something

- Jonathan

"Railfans are clingy, complaining dumbsnots who will never ever be grateful for any concession you provide. The moment you shut out their shrill tremulous complaints, the happier you'll be for it.
Incidentally, how about donating to Railfan.net?"
toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #271 on: Mar 7th, 2009, 9:04am »

There's a few train related shows on today.

First up at 10 a.m. Eastern (also re-showing at 3 p.m.on History International channel is:

"Athens Subway"

This show debuted in 2004 and discusses the construction of the Athens subway for the '04 Olympics.

Today at Noon Eastern on Science Channel is the Extreme Machines episode entitled "Super Trains".

This episode first aired in 2000 and discusses "some of the greatest tunnels and bridges built during the glory days of rail travel; train technology from America, Europe, China and India."

Immediately following that at 1 p.m. Eastern is another episode of Extreme Machines on the Science Channel entitled "Wheels of Steel".

Unknown when this first aired. This episode talks about the world's fastest trains, technology, disasters and the future of trains.  

Todd K. Stearns

toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #272 on: Mar 7th, 2009, 4:13pm »

Now, on the Sundance Channel. "Nothing But A Man", 1964.  

I Don't know alot about this but it looks to be VERY promising for railfans. A young black couple struggle to survive in the South in the 1960's.  A man known as Ivan Dixon is the lead character and works for "the railroad". The starting scenes show a track gang at work, complete with an authentic sounding Burro crane, jack hammers etc. Then we get to see their wood car work train. Up next a few of the gang ride into town on a speeder.  

You can tune this movie in now and "restart" it, or it airs again on Tuesday, March 17 @ 6:15 PM and again on Wednesday, March 18 @ 12:00 AM.

Todd K. Stearns

« Last Edit: Mar 7th, 2009, 4:20pm by toddsyr » Logged

Jonathan

« Reply #273 on: Mar 10th, 2009, 2:28am »

The Hurricane Express
Cast: John Wayne , Shirley Grey and Edmund Breese

Directed by Armand Schaefer
Produced by Nat Levine

1932 1h31m

Jonathan P. Skinner
Buffalo, New York
ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #274 on: Mar 10th, 2009, 2:41pm »

on Mar 10th, 2009, 2:28am, Jonathan wrote:       (Click here for original message)
The Hurricane Express
Cast: John Wayne , Shirley Grey and Edmund Breese

Directed by Armand Schaefer
Produced by Nat Levine

1932 1h31m

As a movie -it is AWFUL. Everybody ought to have a copy...

Also TOUGH GUYS from 1989. Burt Lancaster, Kirk Douglas and SP #4449 in Daylight colors...

Jonathan

« Reply #275 on: Mar 11th, 2009, 8:56pm »

Thanks Im going to look for that movie ( Tough Guys)

Jonathan P. Skinner
Buffalo, New York
toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #276 on: Mar 11th, 2009, 9:38pm »

I'm going to keep an eye on the cable listings for it too Jonathan. Same for the movie you mention too. I don't care how bad a plot is or anything. As long as trains are depicted, it's all good with me! Thanks for mentioning them guys.  

Todd K. Stearns

joneau261
Historian

« Reply #277 on: Mar 11th, 2009, 11:15pm »

If that's the case: Public Enemies Trailer

Milwaukee Road 261 makes an appearance at the 1:44-1:45 mark.  
Seeing as to 261 appears in the trailer, I'll be sure to check out the movie when it comes out on July 1st, which happens to be my birthday. (So how about, a big Hollywood movie with your favorite steam engine appearing released on your birthday )

- Jonathan

"Railfans are clingy, complaining dumbsnots who will never ever be grateful for any concession you provide. The moment you shut out their shrill tremulous complaints, the happier you'll be for it.
Incidentally, how about donating to Railfan.net?"
Espee9180
Historian

« Reply #278 on: Mar 12th, 2009, 3:07am »

on Mar 11th, 2009, 11:15pm, joneau261 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
If that's the case: Public Enemies Trailer

Milwaukee Road 261 makes an appearance at the 1:44-1:45 mark.

I was going to see this movie anyway, but now I know for sure 261 will be in it ( telling from the trailer... there was a time when the scene with her was going to be cut out) I will be sure to see this.

toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #279 on: Mar 23rd, 2009, 7:12pm »

In less than an hour (8pm Eastern) on TCM channel, there's one for the steam era fans titled: Wild Boys Of The Road, 1933.

From TV Guide:

A marvelous piece of Americana, and a serious look at the social confusion of the Depression era. Frankie Darro and Edwin Phillips are two California youths who are enjoying a comfortable lifestyle with their parents, but when the Depression hits and their fathers lose their jobs, the boys hop an eastbound freight train to find work. They soon learn that there are thousands just like themselves, all looking for work, all trying to fight the economic depression that is destroying the country.

Todd K. Stearns

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »