Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 22nd, 2017, 5:10pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Trains, TV, Movies, & Other Media
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   The Mainline
   The Concourse
(Moderator: Forum Admin)
   Trains, TV, Movies, & Other Media
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Trains, TV, Movies, & Other Media  (Read 5942 times)
toddsyr

View Profile  

Re: Trains, TV, Movies, & Other Media

« Reply #240 on: Aug 17th, 2008, 10:48pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I can't give you on answer on that one, sorry. If I had to wager on it though, I'd say it was more likely a Pentrax video than one of the History Channel shows. I only say that because I've seen ALOT of the shows on the History Channel and it doesn't sound familiar. I may have missed an episode or two though.

Todd K. Stearns

Man with no Name
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #241 on: Aug 17th, 2008, 11:06pm »

Actually with a bit of research I think I've found the answer to my own question.

I'm 99.9% sure this was the show:
http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt1115175/combined

On the same tape my grandfather recorded another episode of the series this time it takes place in Britain and the narrator is, of all people, Monty Python's very own Michael Palin! Unfortunately though it's not available in any DVD or VHS format so I have to stick with the old tape recorded back in the 80's.

toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #242 on: Aug 18th, 2008, 12:30am »

Mystery solved, there ya go! I still don't think I've ever seen it on the History Channel though. I may be wrong but I don't think that channel even dates back as far as 1980.

Todd K. Stearns

« Last Edit: Aug 18th, 2008, 12:31am by toddsyr » Logged

Man with no Name
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #243 on: Aug 18th, 2008, 12:57am »

on Aug 18th, 2008, 12:30am, toddsyr wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Mystery solved, there ya go! I still don't think I've ever seen it on the History Channel though. I may be wrong but I don't think that channel even dates back as far as 1980.

Todd K. Stearns

Well my grandfather would tape anything related to trains regardless of the channel. Most of them are from History Channel though.

There's one more show he recorded but this time the details are even more vague. It's a compilation of 8mm footage of the major railroads back in the 1940's and 50's. A road name would appear on the screen and then some  8mm footage of that particular railroad in action would be shown in a compilation. A narrator gave background info on the road names.

That one will be almost impossible to find because he caught it half way in the middle and didn't get the title. Too bad. It had some really cool footage of New Haven, Reading, Delaware and Lackawanna, even East Broad Top before it became a tourist operation.

toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #244 on: Aug 18th, 2008, 1:00am »

That sounds like a really great film. please be and sure to post the details if you do happen to figure them out.

Todd K. Stearns

Man with no Name
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #245 on: Oct 1st, 2008, 1:48pm »

Anyone see the silent epic "The Iron Horse?"

It's a great movie and a must-watch for any rail or history enthusiast (which I'm both). Some parts as expected are a bit dated but for the most part the movie follows modern movie conventions and the attention to detail is amazing.

toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #246 on: Oct 1st, 2008, 5:10pm »

I've never seen that one but thanks for the heads up. Do you know if it comes on one of the cable channels from time to time? Possibly Turner Classic Movies channel? I did find out some information on it from:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Iron_Horse_(film)

Todd K. Stearns

Man with no Name
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #247 on: Oct 1st, 2008, 7:54pm »

on Oct 1st, 2008, 5:10pm, toddsyr wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I've never seen that one but thanks for the heads up. Do you know if it comes on one of the cable channels from time to time? Possibly Turner Classic Movies channel? I did find out some information on it from:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Iron_Horse_(film)

Todd K. Stearns

It's never on cable, I think it was on TCM once.

I've just known about it for a long time so I ordered it on Netflix. The DVD print is in amazing condition and has a new orchestral score from the same guy who composed the soundtrack for the restored edit of Major Dundee.  

If you see it in a store, just buy it. I saw it at the Virgin Megastore in Manhattan but I didn't have enough cash at the time.  

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0015016/

« Last Edit: Oct 1st, 2008, 7:55pm by Man with no Name » Logged

toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #248 on: Oct 6th, 2008, 7:36pm »

Speaking of TCM, it's short notice but just found out about the following coming on at 8p.m. eastern:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0025919/

"John Barrymore is in rare form in Twentieth Century (1934), Howard Hawks's hilarious, fast-paced screwball comedy. He plays flamboyant Broadway director-producer Oscar Jaffe, a man for whom the whole world is truly a stage. The always enchanting Carole Lombard co-stars as Mildred Plotka/Lily Garland. (Oscar demanded the name change because Mildred Plotka isn't nearly as glamorous sounding as Lily Garland.) Mildred, an aspiring Broadway actress, is remade by Oscar into a star of the New York stage. For three years he directs her plays, guides her career, and is her lover. But after they have a big disagreement, she takes off for Hollywood. Her career soars; his plummets. Time passes and then on board the Twentieth Century heading for Grand Central Station, they meet again. As usual in a Hawks film, the supporting cast is outstanding; and Ben Hecht and Charles MacArthur's screenplay is one of their finest."

Todd K. Stearns  

ARA18
Historian

« Reply #249 on: Oct 14th, 2008, 11:18am »

I saw some refrences to Shining Time Station earlier. Wasn't that a great show, seriously the new Thomas to me is just wrong. (Getting Ringo back would be a huge improvement) I volunteered a couple of weekends at a Thomas event and barely recognised it. I once had to ask who Emily was. But here's something great: You can actually go to Shining Time Station. The show was shot on the South Simcoe Railway in Tottenham, ON near Toronto. Here's also a link http://shiningtimeu.com . And if anyone knows how to post video or audio on here, I have the intro for Season 1 and the theme song. I'm listening to it now.

Go Leafs!
CSX sucks!
American Viscose #6
Arcade & Attica #18
New York Centra; 4068/4080, Life's Good up here.
toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #250 on: Oct 14th, 2008, 12:58pm »

I haven't seen Shining Time Station in quite some time but used to watch it rather frequently. I never paid much attention to the storyline or even the trains themselves. I did however admire the scenery to get a extent. It was always done very nicely and I am always on the lookout for new scenery techniques. I do not believe there is a way to post audio files in these forums, sorry.

Todd K. Stearns

toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #251 on: Oct 18th, 2008, 12:14pm »

In a little less than one hour, at 1 p.m. Eastern, the History International channel will show an episode of Boneyard. Today's segement is called Railroads. The description reads "Restored and reused trains, railroad tracks and ties." Though I haven't seeen it before, it's a repeat. I you miss it at 1p.m., it will be on again at 6p.m.

Todd K. Stearns

joneau261
Historian

« Reply #252 on: Dec 4th, 2008, 11:26pm »

Here are some very strange ones from some movies.
(To explain, I generally pay attention to this stuff... not Hollywood, just the movies.)
Let's see...

In the currently playing movie "Bolt", there is a great 3-D rendering of what appears to be an ex-Conrail SD70MAC which the main characters hitch a ride in (seeing as to their animals, that's not illegal ). Animated, but crazily realistic.

In "Be Kind, Rewind", the New York & Greenwood Lake Railroad is used in a scene. What appears to be an NYC painted ALCO switch diesel (RS3?) is crudely decorated to look like a steam engine, intended for a historic(ish) movie within a movie. They give it cardboard attachments for drive wheels, the cab, the funnel and even the pilot! (OK, I know that isn't legal ) Also, an ex-VIA heavyweight observation is coupled behind the engine. (Yes Adam, it is what you think it is)

On the DVD for (Henry, I hope this one is alright to list) "Knocked Up", there is an extra scene from when the crew was filming at Knott's Berry Farm. As the director is talking to the main actor about a scene, they are standing right over the park's narrow gauge railroad, where one of the ex-Rio Grande steamers is being steamed up and is even seen running around. This one isn't really worth checking out, I just thought it was really random for THIS movie (which if I go into will surely get this part removed).

And finally, we have a scene from the show "Whose Line is it Anyway?" The game is "Scene to Rap", where the characters perform a rap about some sort of disaster. No, it wasn't Amtrak, but it's "Train Wreck". For those of you interested:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ms-i6xzkOnA

- Jonathan "I don't know how random my movie tastes are either" Eau Claire

"Railfans are clingy, complaining dumbsnots who will never ever be grateful for any concession you provide. The moment you shut out their shrill tremulous complaints, the happier you'll be for it.
Incidentally, how about donating to Railfan.net?"
toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #253 on: Dec 5th, 2008, 10:35pm »

Thanks for the youtube link. It's so silly and unrehearsed. Pretty funny!

Todd K. Stearns

toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #254 on: Dec 21st, 2008, 4:58pm »

In just a few minutes ( 5 p.m. eastern ) on WGN is a moving coming on titled "The Man Who saved Christmas" ( 2002 ). Description:

Inventor and toy manufacturer A.C. Gilbert rediscovers his holiday spirit during World War 1. I would imagine this is the Gilbert of model train fame.

Todd K. Stearns

ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #255 on: Dec 23rd, 2008, 6:14pm »

Yep, A.C. Gilbert (among other things) produced American Flyer toy trains and Erector sets (the American Meccano)  though he didnt originate either, But he saved and popularized both companies.  

i still have my A.C. Gilbert American Flyer S-Scale train from 1948 or 1949, and every now and then add a car.

Deech
Railfan

« Reply #256 on: Dec 23rd, 2008, 8:29pm »

Does anyone know where the train bridge in the movie Stand By Me when the kids are running away from the oncoming steam locomotive is located or what bridge it is? Thanks!

Deech
Railfan

« Reply #257 on: Dec 23rd, 2008, 9:39pm »

I seem to have found the answer: http://www.filminamerica.com/Movies/StandByMe/

toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #258 on: Dec 23rd, 2008, 11:50pm »

Clyde,

I forgot about the erector sets, till the movie started anyhow. They were an early focus in the film. I remember mine well from when I was a kid.  

S gauge, of course! I always foget that though I always remember Gilbert's name. Go figure. S guage was just a bit to big for my modeling spaces. Neat stuff back innthe day though.

Deech,  

Glad you found your answer. I just saw the question for the first time as I work alot. I've probably forgotten enough of that movie that it's time to see it again. Cool bridge, I can understand why you would want  to know about it. Thanks for sharing the link.

Todd K. Stearns

Pennsy
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #259 on: Dec 24th, 2008, 12:25am »

Still have my old Erector set, and from time to time I would build a bridge or whatever with it and run the trains over it. But that was the good old days, when you were stuck inside the house because of the cold and snow.

Dyed in the wool PRR fan.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »