Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Apr 23rd, 2017, 1:59pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Trains, TV, Movies, & Other Media
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   The Mainline
   The Concourse
(Moderator: Forum Admin)
   Trains, TV, Movies, & Other Media
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Trains, TV, Movies, & Other Media  (Read 5737 times)
HwyHaulier
Historian
Re: Trains, TV, Movies, & Other Media

« Reply #220 on: Feb 18th, 2007, 9:16am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

on Feb 17th, 2007, 5:13pm, toddsyr wrote:       (Click here for original message)
...No, there's been no mention of anything from the show "Law And Order"in this thread. If you care to add anything please feel free. I could never sit still long enough to sit through an episode of the show but would love reading about anything related to the show and trains, even subways!

Todd -

Man. oh, man! Dick Wolf has had such a long run with the Law And Order, and its related, spun off series episodes. It's a where's to start kind of item. Somehow, they had finagled enough of a rep with the TA, there are episodes shot in car interiors! Otherwise, shots in the subway are fairly commonplace in the series. (In one, IMHO we see the long, long escalator that was at the WTC!)

Then, the memorable opening footage in Steven Bochco work, NYPD Blue. Widely, vividly recalled scene of a Red Bird train, running some "El" track. The Red Birds will live forever, along as the DVD still works!

Occasional scenes in the HBO work, The Sopranos. In an early episode, a Clocker looking train crossing the Jersey Meadows. Now for the era they recalled in the episode, ca. 1967- 68, it should have had a GG-1 on the point. It didn't, but the electric seen is plausible. Also, didn't spot the real killer; any display of AMTK markings. Besides, they tried to make up for it with a couple scenes of an impeccable, Red & Tan Lines, GMC Fishbowl on the streets....

......................Vern..............

« Last Edit: Feb 18th, 2007, 10:34am by HwyHaulier » Logged

Ticket Agent serving...Pacific Stage Lines...Washington State System...Mt. Hood Stages...Pickwick Stages...Transcontinental & Western Air Lines.... Admitted Gold Bug..... Observant Orthodox Mossback..... H.M.R.A.O. Curmudgeons......
toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #221 on: Feb 18th, 2007, 4:29pm »

K4s 1361-

Most of the posts in this thread are not movies about trains, just movies and such that one might spot trains in. For example, right now I'm watching an old 2 part episode of Laverne and Shirley called " Murder On The Moosejaw Express". The girls are traveling from Milwaukee to Moosejaw, SK, Canada for a trip and the usual shenanigans follow. Thing is, the show sports some nice shots of Southern Pacific passenger trains. Not that the SP went from Milwaukee to Moosejaw in reality, lol. Scatman Crothers does a hilarious job as the Porter too BTW. Thanks for the Pearl Harbor input, now I have a reason to watch the Hollywood version of it!  

HwyHaulier-

You sure the L&O episodes shot in car interiors are not done in a static car? Amazing things can be done to simulate a real ride nowadays. Just wondering.

NYPD Blue and the Redbirds. I remember that too. I actually got to see some in real life I think coming back from a trip to Long Island. This was near the South end of the Bronx I believe.

The Sopranos. I don't recall the episode with the Clocker, but then again, I don't recall alot of things, lol. I know I've seen all the episodes though. I'll be on the lookout as always when they do the reruns.  

Ok, I gotta hit the hay now. I'll get 4 hrs. of sleep, then work for about 13 hours. Have fun, drive a truck, lol. Oh well, the money's good.  

Todd K. Stearns

electro soundwave
Historian

« Reply #222 on: Feb 18th, 2007, 5:31pm »

In Ghost Rider (which is in theaters right now) the first battle between Ghost Rider and Blackheart's forces takes place in a train yard and there is what looks to be an E or F series diesel (although it could be an Alco) sitting in the yard

SCL/L&N Family Lines
The Southern Serves The South
al-in-chgo
Chaser
View Profile  

« Reply #223 on: Feb 18th, 2007, 11:51pm »

Speaking of THE SOPRANOS, there's an episode in which Chris's girlfriend Adriana (Drea de Matteo), during her "stoolie" period, met with the female FBI agent in a suburban coffee shop.  The over-the-shoulder shots are pointed right at the plate-glass window, and beyond that, past a street, is a very clear shot of small depot and a diesel-engine driven, "single-level" commuter train.  

The scene was a-l-m-o-s-t shot in real time; though if you keep your eyes on the train it has no dwell time at the station.  You can see it pulling in and pulling out, though.  

Based on production factors and the fact the train didn't seem to be electrified in any way, I have to guess it was something out of NJT.  Beyond that, though, I am stumped.  

al

-----
al-in-chgo, Northside.
Middle-Aged ChaseRR

RR viewing sites and shelters

Unsure of opinion re: graffiti
-------
HwyHaulier
Historian

« Reply #224 on: Feb 19th, 2007, 7:31am »

on Feb 18th, 2007, 4:29pm, toddsyr wrote:       (Click here for original message)
...You sure the L&O episodes shot in car interiors are not done in a static car? Amazing things can be done to simulate a real ride nowadays. Just wondering.....

Todd -

For a fact, don't much know. If they had a mockup, set up on a production building, should we not expect to see it more, over a number of episodes? I don't know the business, so, I'm just speculating...  

Quote:
The Sopranos. I don't recall the episode with the Clocker, but then again, I don't recall alot of things, lol. I know I've seen all the episodes though. I'll be on the lookout as always when they do the reruns.

The shot was from first season, somewhere about episode six (6). I'm just getting to the series, as it is presently a no charge on A&E channel.

....................Vern..................

Ticket Agent serving...Pacific Stage Lines...Washington State System...Mt. Hood Stages...Pickwick Stages...Transcontinental & Western Air Lines.... Admitted Gold Bug..... Observant Orthodox Mossback..... H.M.R.A.O. Curmudgeons......
toddsyr

View Profile  

Ghost_Rider_Loco.jpg - 11941 Bytes
« Reply #225 on: Feb 21st, 2007, 6:06am »

on Feb 18th, 2007, 5:31pm, electro soundwave wrote:       (Click here for original message)
In Ghost Rider (which is in theaters right now) the first battle between Ghost Rider and Blackheart's forces takes place in a train yard and there is what looks to be an E or F series diesel (although it could be an Alco) sitting in the yard

If I had to guess, I'd say a "Hollyweird Version" of an Alco. The narrow windshields remind me of my PA1's anyhow.

Image from:

http://www.superherohype.com/forums

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/concourse/Ghost_Rider_Loco.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Feb 21st, 2007, 6:06am by toddsyr » Logged

toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #226 on: Feb 21st, 2007, 6:13am »

on Feb 18th, 2007, 11:51pm, al-in-chgo wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Speaking of THE SOPRANOS, there's an episode in which Chris's girlfriend Adriana (Drea de Matteo), during her "stoolie" period, met with the female FBI agent in a suburban coffee shop.  The over-the-shoulder shots are pointed right at the plate-glass window, and beyond that, past a street, is a very clear shot of small depot and a diesel-engine driven, "single-level" commuter train.  

The scene was a-l-m-o-s-t shot in real time; though if you keep your eyes on the train it has no dwell time at the station.  You can see it pulling in and pulling out, though.  

Based on production factors and the fact the train didn't seem to be electrified in any way, I have to guess it was something out of NJT.  Beyond that, though, I am stumped.  

al

Maybe there was nobody to board or depart the train at that station stop but the train is required to stop anyhow? Just a guess. I'd bet on NJT also. BTW, I NEVER cared for Adriana. I always figured her for bad news. The series wouldn't be better off without her though. The actress plays the part very well. Just my opinion.

Todd K. Stearns

toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #227 on: Feb 21st, 2007, 6:21am »

on Feb 19th, 2007, 7:31am, HwyHaulier wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Todd -

For a fact, don't much know. If they had a mockup, set up on a production building, should we not expect to see it more, over a number of episodes? I don't know the business, so, I'm just speculating...  

The shot was from first season, somewhere about episode six (6). I'm just getting to the series, as it is presently a no charge on A&E channel.

....................Vern..................

A mockup could have been used for one or more entirely different shows, seasons, etc. Thjis has been done many times to save on costs. Any background could also be simply computer generated also BTW. Amazing things are done with props today, real and Computer generated. The Sopranos. When the last season came out, HBO had all the previous seasons viewable "on-demand" for weeks before the season debut. Hopefully they'll do this again so we can find the train stuff again. I'd imagine with A&E you have to get lucky to catch the proper episodes. We'll see soon enough I guess.

Todd K. Stearns

RDG_4-8-4
Former Member

« Reply #228 on: Feb 27th, 2007, 10:09am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

If you go on to Youtube, the video for Peter Gabriel's "Steam" shows a short sequence of an N&W J-Class with a UP FEF-type double smokestack on it against a desert background.  Peter's face is then put on the smokebox front as he sings the song.

Also Night Ranger's "Don't Tell Me You Love Me" also shows a lot of Amtrak action and 38 Special's "I Want You Back Where You Belong" takes place on Philadelphia's Broad St. Subway line.

RDG_4-8-4
Former Member

« Reply #229 on: Feb 27th, 2007, 9:11pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

Also, the video (also seen on YouTube) for "Urgent" by Foreigner takes place at a railroad museum somewhere out west.  A UP coach is most prominently shown.

toddsyr

View Profile  

IC_VID.jpg - 176154 Bytes
« Reply #230 on: Mar 2nd, 2007, 5:43pm »

Thanks for the input RDG_4-8-4. Anybody know the name of that RR museum out West you speak of? Just curious. Not too long ago I found a neat little video on EBay for a really good price. It's by Railroad Rarities and is called "South Hump I.C Markham Yard 1968". It's 51 minutes of mostly black & white Super 8 video featuring one of Illinois Central's hump yards. I thought it was GREAT! It's a nice look into the past featuring some cool hump action. Things you'd never see today like riding cars and humping auto racks.  All the video was shot by a yard employee. As a nice bonus, Markham Yard is shown as is today in color and it's operations today and yesterday are nicely detailed.  

Todd K. Stearns

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/concourse/IC_VID.jpg
Click Image to Resize

mikeparkridge
Chaser

« Reply #231 on: Mar 5th, 2007, 9:38pm »

Remember this old Sesame Street train skit?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XJ8qeyqGoc  

This one scared the hell out of me.

toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #232 on: Mar 14th, 2007, 4:52pm »

Actually, that's the first time I saw that. I can see how it could scare a pre-schooler though. Thanks for adding it to the thread!

Todd K. Stearns

« Last Edit: Mar 14th, 2007, 4:53pm by toddsyr » Logged

electro soundwave
Historian

« Reply #233 on: Jul 4th, 2007, 3:22am »

In Transformers, a switch engine is cutting a load of Southern pacific boxcars (still marked for SP) and the one of the final battle scenes is inside the Michigan central Station in downtown Detroit

SCL/L&N Family Lines
toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #234 on: Jul 20th, 2007, 6:36pm »

Here's a new one ( to me ) coming on in 1/2 hour at 7p.m. Eastern on the Science Channel. The  Extreme Machines series will have an episode called "Monster Trains".

From TVGuide on line at:

http://www.tvguide.com/tvshows/extreme-machines/281079

A look at spectacular rail journeys and the engineering skills needed to create them.

Check the link for SEVERAL more upcoming airtimes also.  

Our local cable guide that appears on the TV describes this episode as follows:

"Engineers describe the evolution of the locomotive."

Should be neat either way.  

Todd K. Stearns

« Last Edit: Jul 29th, 2007, 6:01pm by toddsyr » Logged

silver_champion
Historian

« Reply #235 on: Jul 25th, 2007, 9:34am »

I went to see Everyone's Hero. This cartoon movie had Penn Station in it. Also  the 8th Ave side of the station. Something that you don't see.
They did a great job for this movie.

toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #236 on: Aug 18th, 2007, 12:27pm »

I just watched a Popeye cartoon from 1957 entitled "Spree Lunch". In it, Popeye and Bluto compete against each other in the diner business. Popeye has an older wooden heavyweight car for his already established diner. One day Bluto shows up across the street with a brand new stainless steel car for his diner. From there the hijinks start. One unusual aspect of this cartoon, Popeye and a can of spinach don't end up winning the day. On the other hand, neither does Bluto. Catch it when you can to see who does!

Todd

electro soundwave
Historian

« Reply #237 on: Jul 21st, 2008, 4:47am »

In Batman: The Dark Knight, you catch a glimpse of a Genesis unit and an Amtrak car.

SCL/L&N Family Lines
toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #238 on: Jul 21st, 2008, 4:41pm »

That's a newer one, thanks ES. Not too long ago I purchased a 3 DVD set of the 1970's tv show "The Rookies" 1st season. On disc 2, episode 8, Dirge For Sunday, Union Pacific 495 and a caboose are shown in an industrial area. They are moving rather slow so one gets a good view of the loco, I believe a GP20. This is right at the beginning of the episode.  

For fans of older times and equipment, last night I watched an old ( 1948? ) Carey Grant/Myrna Loye movie entitled "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House". Somewhere towards the end, a New Haven commuter train is shown. It was a rather odd power unit with one coach. I wish I had TiVo so I could identify the loco! Any help out there? No, it wasn't electric as far as I know. No catenary. Also it was supposedly in Conneticut.

Todd K. Stearns

Man with no Name
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #239 on: Aug 17th, 2008, 4:43pm »

My grandfather taped hundreds of train shows back when I was very young. Lots of them are from the History Channel or Pentrex. There's one however that I don't know the title of and it's one of my favorites.  

It's a Euro rail travel video, probably from the late 80's early 90's, with a British narrator and for a short time follows some British sight-seers. It starts in France on SNCF, then goes through Switzerland on some cog railways, then goes on to Austria to ride the Zillertalbahn (an Austrian tourist railway with neat steam engines and some of the most beautiful scenery on Earth), and ends up in Czechoslovakia to see a rather deteriorating railway operation that still uses a mainline steam engine.

I never found out what the title was, and it's killing me because the video is one of my favorites. It says "Changing Trains" at the very beginning over some old footage of mainline steam, but I'm not sure if that's the title. Does my description sound familiar to any of you?

« Last Edit: Aug 17th, 2008, 4:46pm by Man with no Name » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »