Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Mar 27th, 2017, 2:33am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Trains, TV, Movies, & Other Media
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   The Mainline
   The Concourse
(Moderator: Forum Admin)
   Trains, TV, Movies, & Other Media
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Trains, TV, Movies, & Other Media  (Read 5725 times)
RDG_4-8-4
Former Member
Re: Trains, TV, Movies, & Other Media

« Reply #200 on: Jul 18th, 2006, 10:44am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

I also posted this under Fallen Flags.

Playhouse Disney has a short 5-minute program called "Choo Choo Soul" which features the passenger whistle and bell of Reading T-1 No. 2102.  I compared the whistle and bell with a sequence on my tape "2102, The American Northern" and they both PERFECTLY match!  I always thought 2102's air-operated bell had an unusually fast ring, which caught my ear to begin with.

"Choo Choo Soul" is a short program that follows regular 30-minute cartoons and features a VERY good-looking singer/dancer dressed as a conductor named Genevieve.  However, I'm married and so is she, and she is some 20 years younger than I.

toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #201 on: Jul 22nd, 2006, 10:26pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Thanks for the post RDG. I haven't seen this show and can't find a listing for it but will keep an eye out for it. It seems they do have some decent tunes on the program, especially considering it's a kids show. I checked out a couple of them on this site:

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/genevieve

Though I'm not much for children's TV shows, if they're train related I'll watch! Yes, I've been known to watch Shining Time Station on PBS as well. Sorry about the late reply, but my schedule has ben pretty hectic as of late. Todd

electro soundwave
Historian

« Reply #202 on: Jul 23rd, 2006, 6:12am »

Shining Time Station is a great show. And you get either Ringo Starr or George Carlin as Mr. Conductor. Can't beat that, now can ya And yeah, I'll watch something if therer's a chance of  a train it. I'm curious about a moive I saw in Wal-Mart yesterday called Lackawana Blues. It looks like it's one of those sappy "family's gonna stick together" type films that I hate watching but if there's a chance that there's either DL&W or E-L equipment (or other pre Conjob lines) then it may be worth a quick look

SCL/L&N Family Lines
The Southern Serves The South
toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #203 on: Jul 23rd, 2006, 9:37am »

I remember the first time I saw George Carlin on Shining Time Station. I said NO WAY, that's too funny! I figured "those freakin' trains" and all. Well, I'm glad I was wrong, Mr. Carlin did a great job on the show. Whether he's telling an offensive tale or narrating a children's show, he IS a great story teller. Ringo Starr always did a great job also. I too will pretty much watch anything with a train in it. I remember when I was a kid I didn't like most of the music on Soul Train. I would watch it anyways just to see the dancing loco emblem when the show was going to commercials. Lackawanna Blues. It's been on HBO and such a couple of months or so. I sat through the first chunk of it before I just simply got too bored with it. I didn't see any trains. If I see it on one of the "on-demand" channels, I'll check it out again. On those channels, I can fast forward through! Those with DVR can do the same, but we don't have that. Todd

Henry
Historian

« Reply #204 on: Jul 23rd, 2006, 10:08am »

If you're looking for trains, don't bother watching Lackawanna Blues, its just about a Lackawanna, NY extended family with a lot of problems

It's not a bad movie, just no trains to speak of. Same deal with "Collinwood" which of course is the site of the big Cleveland area NYC yard.

Henry

HwyHaulier
Historian

« Reply #205 on: Jul 23rd, 2006, 11:57am »

on Jul 23rd, 2006, 10:08am, Henry wrote:       (Click here for original message)
If you're looking for trains, don't bother watching Lackawanna Blues, its just about a Lackawanna, NY extended family with a lot of problems....

Henry -

Nevertheless, the point: All Roads Lead To Buffalo? <G>

Shining Time Station: What of Schemer, and his role? A Jay Gould, or more modern junk bond trader allegory?

...............Vern............... Bel Air, MD.....................

Ticket Agent serving...Pacific Stage Lines...Washington State System...Mt. Hood Stages...Pickwick Stages...Transcontinental & Western Air Lines.... Admitted Gold Bug..... Observant Orthodox Mossback..... H.M.R.A.O. Curmudgeons......
electro soundwave
Historian

« Reply #206 on: Jul 23rd, 2006, 12:33pm »

thanks for the info about Collinwood  and Lackawanna Blues. And I could see George playing a yardmaster who just had to have a "powwow" with a poor employee who screwed up

SCL/L&N Family Lines
toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #207 on: Jul 23rd, 2006, 10:28pm »

Henry-  
Thanks for the heads up on the film. Now I don't have to scan through it looking for trains that aren't there! Collinwood, hadn't thought of that!  

Vern-
Schemer, Jay Gould, lol! I don't think Schemer's got the smarts! I've always figured him to be a 59 dayer. Washed out before establishing himself on the job. Management just couldn't deal with his antics!

Electro-
That would be hilarious, George in a tirade with a screwup. Maybe a pay channel version should be in the works for us older folks! That would be too funny. Todd

toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #208 on: Jul 24th, 2006, 9:37pm »

There are many train related videos available on the web for free. These films are past their copyright stage and are in the public domain. No, most aren't very long. Usually 10 or 15 minutes per video. I find them very interesting however. You can't beat the price either! Just search the "Moving Images" link on this page:

http://www.archive.org/index.php

If you want to save time searching, here's a list of titles I've downloaded:

3rd Avenue El
Beef Rings The Bell Part 1
Beef Rings The Bell Part 2
The Big Train Part 1
The Big Train Part 2
Big Trains Rolling
Completion of Northwestern Pacific RR Part 1
Completion of Northwestern Pacific RR Part 2
Desert Empire Part 1
Desert Empire Part 2
Desert Empire Part 3
Great Railroads At Work Part 1
Great Railroads At Work Part 2
Great Railroads At Work Part 3
Highballing To Victory
Main Line USA
Mt. Tamalpais Gravity Railroad
New Horizons
This Is My Railroad Part 1
This Is My Railroad Part 2
Troop Train
Wheels Of Progress

That should keep anyone busy for awhile! There are other ones too, I just downloaded what interested me. There's also literally 1000's of non-train related videos as well, including some old cartoons. These archives go right back to the very first films made by Thomas Edison. Enjoy! Todd

toptainspotter
TRAINing

« Reply #209 on: Jul 26th, 2006, 7:41am »

Hi, in accordance with "other media" please visit http://www.toptrainspotter.com and help us find the greatest trainspotter/railfan in the world!

Thanks

railspotter

electro soundwave
Historian

« Reply #210 on: Aug 8th, 2006, 3:11am »

My sister received the first season of Anamaniacs this poast week. For those fo you not in the know, it was a cartoon variety show that aired from 1993 to 97ish. It featured the Warner Brothers (and their sister Dot) and is basically a Looney Toons meets the Marx Brothers for the 90's and beyond. Anyway, in one episode, the Warners wind up on a POTUS special that's heading to Gettysburg and they wind up "helping" Lincoln write the Gettysburg address. They do a decent job with the train, and more importantly, it's classic WB hijinx with a bit of a historical edge to it. It gets my highest reccomendation

SCL/L&N Family Lines
toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #211 on: Aug 8th, 2006, 7:10am »

railspotter-

Sounds like a neat idea. Unfortunately I don't get to railfan nearly as much as I'd like to nowadays. Hopefully others will take part in that however.

electro_soundwave-

I've seen a few episodes of Animaniacs, pretty funny usually. You describe an episode I haven't seen however. I think it's still in reruns, I'll have to keep an eye out for it. Thanks for the posts folks. Todd

toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #212 on: Aug 13th, 2006, 4:04pm »

I haven't seen Polar Express so I'm sorry to say I can't comment on that. The Hooterville Cannonball was the train on Petticoat Junction, which Green Acres was a spinoff of, though I do believe I remember seeing the Cannonball in one or two episodes of Green Acres also. I know it was at least mentioned on Green Acres. There is a photo I posted in this thread of the Cannonball, it 's much earlier in the thread however. Todd

toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #213 on: Sep 6th, 2006, 10:37am »

I'm currently enjoying a 1 hour show entitled Voyages on the History International Channel. This episode is entitled "Trains Unlimited: Built for Speed". It basically shows the evolution of railroad locomotives starting with the Rocket in England. Half way through the show, we're up to the Zephyrs. It's been a very good show so far! Many famous engines are portrayed along with some very noteworthy passenger trains as well. Anyone wishing to see the show in it's entirity is in luck, Future airdates and description from Yahoo TV listings:

Voyages
HISI Sep 06 10:00am  
Series/Other, 60 Mins.

"Trains Unlimited: Built for Speed"  
Train speed increases from the days of steam to the diesel and electrical ages.  

Original Airdate: December 4, 1998.  

Future Airings:  
Voyages - Trains Unlimited, HISI Sep 06 04:00pm  
Voyages - Trains Unlimited, HISI Sep 07 04:00am  
Voyages - Trains Unlimited, HISI Sep 13 10:00am  
Voyages - Trains Unlimited, HISI Sep 13 04:00pm  
Voyages - Trains Unlimited, HISI Sep 14 04:00am  

electro soundwave
Historian

« Reply #214 on: Feb 17th, 2007, 3:12am »

So I bought Ghostbusters 2 last night and am currently watching it. In the movie, they show the Ghostbusters walking down an abandoned New York Subway path. Then, they get run over by a ghost train led by a steamer. It also has a US mail car and a caboose. I couldn't catch any reporting marks though. Still pretty neat, and the movie is hilarious.

SCL/L&N Family Lines
electro soundwave
Historian

« Reply #215 on: Feb 17th, 2007, 3:14am »

Egon just identified it as the New York Central's  City Of Albany, derailed in 1920, killed hundreds of people.

and another edit. it uses parts of the Beach Pneumatic Transit for it's river of slime. I am really impressed with the homework they did in making this movie.

« Last Edit: Feb 17th, 2007, 3:20am by electro soundwave » Logged

SCL/L&N Family Lines
HwyHaulier
Historian

« Reply #216 on: Feb 17th, 2007, 10:58am »

In this massive thread, has the occasional use of mysterious, abandoned subway stations as locales in the Dick Wolf, Law And Order efforts received notice?

......................Vern..................

Ticket Agent serving...Pacific Stage Lines...Washington State System...Mt. Hood Stages...Pickwick Stages...Transcontinental & Western Air Lines.... Admitted Gold Bug..... Observant Orthodox Mossback..... H.M.R.A.O. Curmudgeons......
Ranaldo20
Railfan

« Reply #217 on: Feb 17th, 2007, 2:44pm »

There is a really cool SP train toward the end of Cannoball Run if I remember correctly!

toddsyr

View Profile  

DMCL_Train_Car_Hit.jpg - 66136 Bytes
« Reply #218 on: Feb 17th, 2007, 5:13pm »

Very nice to see some new interest in an old thread!

electro soundwave:

Ghostbusters2, man, that takes me back in time! At least in my short memory span, lol. I do remember that scene however. I always wondered if the "City Of Albany" was based in fact or ficiton though. Nothing positive in a Google search unfortunately.

HwyHaulier:

No, there's been no mention of anything from the show "Law And Order"in this thread. If you care to add anything please feel free. I could never sit still long enough to sit through an episode of the show but would love reading about anything related to the show and trains, even subways!  

Ranaldo20:

Ah the car chase movies from the '60's, '70's and '80's! None were complete without the rail scenes! One I'll always remember was the very end of "Dirty Mary and Crazy Larry". Just as the trio thought they were getting away, WHAM! Should've Stopped, Looked, and Listened! In my opinion, this was a very important subliminal message to movie goers in the pre-Operation Lifesaver 1970's.

Todd K. Stearns

photo from:

http://blog.truetoneenterprises.com/?p=170

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/concourse/DMCL_Train_Car_Hit.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Feb 17th, 2007, 5:16pm by toddsyr » Logged

K4s 1361
Railfan

« Reply #219 on: Feb 17th, 2007, 8:51pm »

Though not a train movie, the scene in the movie "Pearl Harbor" when they show the nurses arriving at the passenger ramp with the NYC steamer venting steam next to the platform was a nice scene.

I wish i was there when steam ruled the rails!!

The Brickleys from Germany Originals since 1750.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »