Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Mar 25th, 2017, 3:49am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Trains, TV, Movies, & Other Media
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   The Mainline
   The Concourse
(Moderator: Forum Admin)
   Trains, TV, Movies, & Other Media
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  ...  16 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Trains, TV, Movies, & Other Media  (Read 5721 times)
toddsyr

View Profile  

Re: Trains, TV, Movies, & Other Media

« Reply #20 on: Sep 9th, 2005, 2:14pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Thanks for the info, still not sure if I've seen it or not. Right now, on PBS, is a show called " Hidden Adirondacks ". Coming up on it is a segment on the North Creek railroad. Can't wait to see that!

XBNSFer
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #21 on: Sep 9th, 2005, 8:04pm »

Well, The Train is certainly one of my favorites (one of those that I bought both the VHS AND the DVD lol). As for Runaway Train, well, ahem, just check my signature lol.

Another brief but good one (just found it on DVD recently, too): Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry, whose ending would make a good Operation Lifesaver thought provoker lol. A bit theatric (the car has to blow up, of course), but the filming of the impact and the bodies in the car being hurled angainst the dash/windshield as the car is crushed is pretty intense..."Ain't nothin gonna stop us!"..."Sure looks that way!"...WHAAAMP!WHAAAMP!RRRRRRRRRR CRUNCH! BOOM! ::roll credits::"

Then there's the ones that provoke my sarcasm, like US Marshalls, where a foot chase goes from Manhattan (Park Ave viaduct) to Chicago (Metra) in about a minute lol (MAN, those guys are fast!).

« Last Edit: Sep 9th, 2005, 8:07pm by XBNSFer » Logged

"I'm with ya Manny...I'm with ya till the wheels come off" - Eric Roberts, "Runaway Train"
toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #22 on: Sep 10th, 2005, 5:08am »

Dirty Mary and Crazy Larry! Man, I forgot about that one, but remember it well now. Anyone with a liking for those 70's era car movies should see this.

toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #23 on: Sep 14th, 2005, 1:49am »

Coming on in about 10 minutes on the Discovery Times channel is a show called "Trouble On The Tracks". Description: "The dangers of railroad tracks and crossings".
It's late for most folks, but don't fret, it's on again later today at 10:00 a.m., then again at 6:00 p.m. Sounds interesting to me!

« Last Edit: Sep 14th, 2005, 2:43am by toddsyr » Logged

toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #24 on: Sep 15th, 2005, 1:24am »

Currently on the Discovery Science Channel is Super Trains and Mega Stations. Some European stuff, some American, etc. NY's Grand Central is one of the stations mentioned. It airs again today, September 15, 2005 at 5:00a.m., 11:00a.m., and again at 3:00p.m. It also airs again on September 18, 2005 at 3:00p.m.

toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #25 on: Sep 24th, 2005, 1:00am »

Looking for free railroad films? Alot of neat shorter movies can be found here:

http://www.archive.org/details/movies

Just type in Railroad in the search box. I've got at least twenty of them from here, and burned them to CD. High speed internet is recommended. If you try this with dialup service, make sure you have something else to do while downloading. It'll be awhile.

LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #26 on: Sep 24th, 2005, 9:06am »

Oldrailfan,it was Keith Carridine in Emperor of the North.This was one of THE best train movies of all time,not just trains in the movie,but an actual movie about railroads and railroad people.

When it hits the fan,be the fan...
oldrailfan
Enthusiast

« Reply #27 on: Sep 24th, 2005, 10:55am »

on Sep 24th, 2005, 9:06am, Lou_D. wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Oldrailfan,it was Keith Carridine in Emperor of the North.This was one of THE best train movies of all time,not just trains in the movie,but an actual movie about railroads and railroad people.

...Couldn't remember - that's why I copped out with the "I think."  Maybe I should change my signature to read: "Brain dead senior citizen, suffering from CRAFTS" (Can't Remember A Freaking Thing Sometimes! )

de KC6YJN
JOhn
Oldrailfan

LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #28 on: Sep 25th, 2005, 5:47pm »

Hey,I'm not not too much younger than you,I got the same thing,minus the "aft".

When it hits the fan,be the fan...
toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #29 on: Sep 25th, 2005, 11:05pm »

A show just came on I haven't seen in over 25 years. "The Courtship of Eddie's Father". During the opening credits, one of the scenes is of Eddie and his Dad romping through what looks to be a steam museum. Three steamers sitting on display outdoors as they run by. I'll have to keep a lookout for that episode.

« Last Edit: Sep 25th, 2005, 11:06pm by toddsyr » Logged

zartok-35
Railfan

« Reply #30 on: Sep 26th, 2005, 11:04pm »

In the movie "Gordy" of 1995, some scenes contain Norfolk Southern trains. In one scene, NS 8760, A C40-8, led a manifest train....

CN Riverview Mile 189.4 Watrous subdivision

Long live the CN 115!
ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #31 on: Sep 27th, 2005, 3:16pm »

I always get a bang out of the Clint Eastwood movie which has him running the locomotive right through a bar as he fires his rifle from the engineers window. Of course, eliminateing all the bad guys. But CRS seems always to hide the name of that movie from me.
   As a live steamer, one movie that I feel is terrible, is Break Heart Pass. No matter which way the engine was going, backwards or forwards, up hill or down,there was always the same exhaust cadence.  
   The Train and Von Ryans Express, definitely a couple of favorites. Danger Lights is ok, but they switch engines somewhere during the filming, but its supposed to be the same locomotive all the way through.

Take care,

Bruce

toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #32 on: Sep 27th, 2005, 7:46pm »

on Sep 26th, 2005, 11:04pm, zartok-35 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
In the movie "Gordy" of 1995, some scenes contain Norfolk Southern trains. In one scene, NS 8760, A C40-8, led a manifest train....

Thanks for posting that. There's another movie I haven't seen, or forgot about. Doesn't matter what it's about to me either, as long as there's trains in it!

toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #33 on: Sep 27th, 2005, 7:49pm »

on Sep 27th, 2005, 3:16pm, ErieAtlantic7597 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
  I always get a bang out of the Clint Eastwood movie which has him running the locomotive right through a bar as he fires his rifle from the engineers window. Of course, eliminateing all the bad guys. But CRS seems always to hide the name of that movie from me.
   As a live steamer, one movie that I feel is terrible, is Break Heart Pass. No matter which way the engine was going, backwards or forwards, up hill or down,there was always the same exhaust cadence.  
   The Train and Von Ryans Express, definitely a couple of favorites. Danger Lights is ok, but they switch engines somewhere during the filming, but its supposed to be the same locomotive all the way through.

Take care,

Bruce

Thanks, Bruce. Hollywood should know better than to try and pull a fast one on us railfans! I wonder how they could run that steamer without the exhaust cadence changing. Digital footage maybe?

toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #34 on: Sep 28th, 2005, 7:11pm »

I just watched The Simpsons on Fox. It was the episode where the family goes to Florida during Spring Break. Homer causes his usual trouble and gets chased out of town by the police. He thought he escaped when he BARELY beat a train at a crossing, leaving the cop on the other side. Then, BAM, their car get's nailed by an Amtrak train on the other track. An all too often occurence in real life. I like The Simpsons because they take taboo subjects and make light of them. No, a train/auto accident is nothing to laugh at in reality, but at least they bring such things to the public's attention.

zartok-35
Railfan

« Reply #35 on: Sep 28th, 2005, 7:17pm »

on Sep 28th, 2005, 7:11pm, toddsyr wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I just watched The Simpsons on Fox. It was the episode where the family goes to Florida during Spring Break. Homer causes his usual trouble and gets chased out of town by the police. He thought he escaped when he BARELY beat a train at a crossing, leaving the cop on the other side. Then, BAM, their car get's nailed by an Amtrak train on the other track. An all too often occurence in real life. I like The Simpsons because they take taboo subjects and make light of them. No, a train/auto accident is nothing to laugh at in reality, but at least they bring such things to the public's attention.

I saw that episode not to long ago. I cant help but think the high-nose EMD is to short...

There is another Simpson episode of 1992 I beleive. It's the one were homer gives up christianirty and makes fun of religeions. In the car chase with Ned Flanders, Homer is forced to drive through a crossing with a train approaching. Ned jumps through a Boxcar by a hair, but homer hops a trash barge and gets away...

« Last Edit: Sep 28th, 2005, 7:19pm by zartok-35 » Logged

CN Riverview Mile 189.4 Watrous subdivision

Long live the CN 115!
toddsyr

View Profile  

DudleyDoRight.jpg - 13978 Bytes
« Reply #36 on: Sep 28th, 2005, 7:33pm »

zartok-35, I remember that epsiode as well, now that you mention it.  It was a good one as usual. Also, do you remember the Dudley DoRight cartoon? He was forever rescuing Nell from being tied to the tracks!

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/concourse/DudleyDoRight.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Sep 28th, 2005, 7:34pm by toddsyr » Logged

toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #37 on: Sep 28th, 2005, 11:02pm »

Just found this on the cable guide, it comes on in like a minute or so. On the H INT channel, a History Explorer episode. Channel 127 in Central NY. " Century In Motion, Part 1. Golden Age of ocean liners; developement of the railroad industry; creators of the automobile; growth of commercial avaition. "

icsd701000
Railfan

« Reply #38 on: Oct 2nd, 2005, 9:43pm »

Speaking of train movies. I think this was the name "Runaway train" which stared Eric Roberts. Anyone remember this one?

IC Peoria sub railfan mp 97.5
RDG484
Former Member

« Reply #39 on: Oct 2nd, 2005, 10:45pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

on Oct 2nd, 2005, 9:43pm, icsd701000 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Speaking of train movies. I think this was the name "Runaway train" which stared Eric Roberts. Anyone remember this one?

Is this the one that took place on the D&RGW?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  ...  16 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »