Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jun 27th, 2017, 10:05am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Trains, TV, Movies, & Other Media
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   The Mainline
   The Concourse
(Moderator: Forum Admin)
   Trains, TV, Movies, & Other Media
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Trains, TV, Movies, & Other Media  (Read 5870 times)
ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

Re: Trains, TV, Movies, & Other Media

« Reply #160 on: Jan 4th, 2006, 6:07pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Todd, you're right - Buster Keaton for THE GENERAL.  I recommend getting the DVD - worth a few dollars just to watch Keaton riding on the side rod of the engine as it starts moving in one of the scenes. I believe that the engine used was in fact "The" General, now at Kennesaw Maountain and for a long toime at Chattanooga.

toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #161 on: Jan 4th, 2006, 6:45pm »

I agree ClydeDet. The movie can be purchased as part of a double feature DVD for as little as $1.89, as shown in this link:

http://tinyurl.com/avl23

George_Harris
Historian

« Reply #162 on: Jan 4th, 2006, 9:18pm »

I believe the engine used in The General was B&O's William Mason.  Saw that somewhere years ago.  The studio wanted to use the original but the NC&St.L said NO, no way, and only over our collective dead bodies.  This was 1927, remember, and the NC was a Southern road operated and managed by Southerners with many Confederate veterans alive and still working along with their children.  The railroad's management, employees and customers considered a comedy treatment of the event virtually sacreligious.

George

toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #163 on: Jan 4th, 2006, 11:45pm »

You are probably correct Mr. Harris, the original General wasn't used in the film.  
"Part of the film was shot near Cowan, Tennessee, between Nashville and Chattanooga. Another locale for the film was around Cottage Grove, Oregon, where narrow-gauge track was found for the two ancient, wood-burning, steam locomotives that figured prominently in the film (the General and the Texas). [The original antique locomotive, the General, on display in Chattanooga at Union Station since 1911, was not used in the film.]"

http://www.filmsite.org/gene.html

HwyHaulier
Historian

« Reply #164 on: Jan 5th, 2006, 11:00am »

George - Todd - All Hands....

I worked at the Washington G.O. of the "Serves The South" Line, and in the 1960- 1962 period......

Capital Transit was, then, D C Transit. The street car system was near its end (account a completely arbitrary decision by the fools on the hill). Now, the wise heads want streetcars back. They still insist on the no overhead wires nonsense. Question: How does one do a plow pit, and get EPA and OSHA approvals?

Many of the folks at the railroad were evidently without the news the War had ended.

Yes, I'll agree I heard the William Mason account, too, and believe that correct....

Films: I think I touched on it earlier. Who can forget Jimmy Cagney in White Heat? What's not to like? Cagney respected and worshipped his Mother. Great opening scenes of an Espee Mail and Express local....

.................Vern...........Bel Air, MD..............

« Last Edit: Jan 5th, 2006, 12:06pm by HwyHaulier » Logged

Ticket Agent serving...Pacific Stage Lines...Washington State System...Mt. Hood Stages...Pickwick Stages...Transcontinental & Western Air Lines.... Admitted Gold Bug..... Observant Orthodox Mossback..... H.M.R.A.O. Curmudgeons......
ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #165 on: Jan 5th, 2006, 12:03pm »

Have seen accounts indicating The General was actually used, but I see those may well be in error. Be flipped if the film looks like it uses narrow gauge equipment, though.

If you watch the film, it isn't really very comedic, though there are some screamingly funny moments - but it is on the whole actually fairly serious, and very sympathetic to the Southern characters and side. Ah well.

I think I will refrain from comment in re the idiocy of Congress and transportation policy - nothing i could say would be helpful, to anyone.

HwyHaulier
Historian

« Reply #166 on: Jan 5th, 2006, 12:10pm »

on Jan 5th, 2006, 12:03pm, ClydeDET wrote:       (Click here for original message)
....I think I will refrain from comment in re the idiocy of Congress and transportation policy - nothing i could say would be helpful, to anyone.
Clyde -

Clearly, an effective device to get thru the day, and save one's sanity......

.................Vern.................Bel Air, MD................

Ticket Agent serving...Pacific Stage Lines...Washington State System...Mt. Hood Stages...Pickwick Stages...Transcontinental & Western Air Lines.... Admitted Gold Bug..... Observant Orthodox Mossback..... H.M.R.A.O. Curmudgeons......
toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #167 on: Jan 6th, 2006, 2:10am »

I tried in vain to identify the loco in The General. I'm gonna go with Mr. Harris's assertation that it was the William Mason. I did read that whatever engine was used, was actually wrecked for the movie. That in itself rules out the real General. Todd.

RDG484
Former Member

« Reply #168 on: Jan 16th, 2006, 5:23pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

I recently saw two movies with some good train scenes:

The Garfield Movie:  Nice scenes of Amtrak P-32BWH's with Superliner consists.  Garfield goes inside the dispatcher's "tower" within the terminal and almost causes a head-on collision between trains by walking on the buttons on the dispatcher's model board.

Spiderman II:  Nice scenes of the Chicago Elevated, though it is supposed to take place in New York.  The bad guy takes the controller out of the lead car and causes it to go out of control, racing to the bumping block.  Of course, Spiderman stops it just in time.

« Last Edit: Jan 16th, 2006, 8:03pm by RDG484 » Logged
toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #169 on: Jan 17th, 2006, 7:32pm »

Thanks for the post RDG484. I think these two movies are currently on the pay channels. I didn't have any plans on viewing either of them, but you've swayed my thoughts on that. Thanks, Todd.

toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #170 on: Feb 6th, 2006, 1:08am »

In a little less than 1/2 an hour, Train Wrecks will be appearing on the Spike channel at 1:30 a.m. EST. This will be a 1 hour program. "Crashes and near misses; host John Bunnell."  

Original Airdate: May 25, 1999.  

On Thursday Feb 09 at 2:00pm EST, Seconds From Disaster - "Wreck of the Sunset Limited" will appear on the National Geographic Channel.

"On Sept. 22, 1993, an Amtrak train derails near Mobile, Ala., killing 47 people."  

Original Airdate: August 10, 2004.  

ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #171 on: Feb 6th, 2006, 3:45pm »

Oh - another one with trains playing an important, if  minor in terms of time on screen, role is the old Spencer Tracy/Robert Ryan movie A BAD DAY AT BLACK ROCK. Worth watching just to see a one-armed Spencer Tracy swinging down off a passenger train as it pulls ito town.

towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #172 on: Feb 6th, 2006, 3:50pm »

Train Wrecks was on spike TV last night, got some good shots of people being dumb at crossings, amazing!

Railfan Safely, And always respect private property.
RDG484
Former Member

« Reply #173 on: Feb 27th, 2006, 8:59am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

In the Superman episode "Ghost Wolf" a Weyhouser logging Mallet is shown pulling a train full of tree trunks under overhead trolley wire.  Clark, Lois, and Jimmy are all riding in the caboose when Clark sees with his "Zoom-in" vision that the timber on a wooden bridge had been undermined.  Superman supported the bridge while the train ran over it.  In the next scene, what looks like a track speeder is shown in an overhead view coming towards tha camera.

TAB
Historian

« Reply #174 on: Feb 27th, 2006, 10:15am »

Ooops…Don’t forget the great NYC footage in Alfred Hitchcock’s thriller North by Northwest…Tom

Moderator...Scratchbuilding and Kitbashing
toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #175 on: Apr 5th, 2006, 1:03am »

Last nite I saw a movie on cable called "The Hot Rock". Don't ask me what it was about, I was only half watching it while on the net. However, about 1 hour and 12 minutes into the flick, my eyes were glued to the screen. This is where they showed an EL car float facilty. Included was the slip., a carfloat with an EL emblem, a yard, and a barge. Not crumbling into history either, but all in decent shape. Todd.

toddsyr

View Profile  

SA_750_4-6-2_BILOXI_BLUES_LOCO.jpg - 60761 Bytes
« Reply #176 on: May 1st, 2006, 11:28pm »

I just saw Biloxi Blues the other day. Yeah an old flick, but you can't rush into these things! The beginning of the film sports a nice Erie Lackawanna passenger train (nowhere near it's real home rails). The heavyweight cars are clearly lettered, but the steam loco was never clearly identified. So, I checked for the loco on the internet and here's what I found from:

http://www.srmduluth.org/Exhibits/steam.htm

"Savannah & Atlanta #750 4-6-2 Light Pacific  
Built 1910 by American Locomotive Company (ALCO) for Key West extension of Florida East Coast Railway. Driving wheels: 69 inches. This Light Pacific was sold to the Savannah and Atlanta Railway in 1935 when a hurricane destroyed major bridges between the Keys. Operated during early days of Southern's steam excursion program. Last in service with New Georgia Railroad (excursions) during the 1980s. Featured in Biloxi Blues. Donated 1962."

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/concourse/SA_750_4-6-2_BILOXI_BLUES_LOCO.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: May 1st, 2006, 11:29pm by toddsyr » Logged

railwatcher
Historian

« Reply #177 on: May 4th, 2006, 8:34am »

In 9 pages of mentions about movies and TV,  I am surprised that this movie wasn't mentioned.     "End of the Line"  starring Wilford Brimley .     Brimley and companion take a light engine, after the line is shut down, to corporate headquarters and find out the Chairman of the Board has family problems, too,  as he gave the railroad operation to his son in law to run, and that dude was secretly stopping rail and switching to air transportation.    

Also.  Don't forget the Steven Seagal movie,  "Dark Territory"   I know that isnt the full name but obviously has railroad terminology referenced in its name.

Greg

Live from Avon, NY. Rail serviced by the LA&L.
toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #178 on: May 4th, 2006, 12:24pm »

Thanks for the heads up on "End of the Line". I'm sure there are many others that haven't been mentioned yet either. Hollywood and trains have been a good match since film making began with Thomas Edison way back when. Todd.

toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #179 on: May 7th, 2006, 11:19pm »

The movie "The General" has been discussed in this thread quite a bit. Guess what? It's coming on cable channel TCM at midnite eastern time. Sorry, not much notice, but just saw it.  

"The General (1927)
TCM May 08 12:00am Add to My Calendar
Movies, 90 Mins.
**** (Rated NR)  

You can record this program to your TiVo. Learn more...

Union spies pursue an engineer who chased them to recover his stolen train. Silent.  

Cast: Buster Keaton, Buster Keaton, Marion Mack, Glen Cavender, Jim Farley, Joseph Keaton, Frederick Vroom, Charles Smith, Frank Barnes, Mike Donlin.
Director(s): Buster Keaton, Buster Keaton, Clyde Bruckman.
Producer(s): Joseph M. Schenck, Joseph M. Schenck, Buster Keaton.
Writer(s): Clyde Bruckman, Al Boasberg, Buster Keaton, William Pittenger , Charles Henry Smith, Paul Girard Smith .
Distribution: United Artists Get more info at Yahoo! Movies...

No notice of future airings. Todd

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »