Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Dec 17th, 2017, 1:20am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Trains, TV, Movies, & Other Media
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   The Mainline
   The Concourse
(Moderator: Forum Admin)
   Trains, TV, Movies, & Other Media
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  16 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Trains, TV, Movies, & Other Media  (Read 5954 times)
toddsyr

View Profile  

Re: Trains, TV, Movies, & Other Media

« Reply #140 on: Dec 22nd, 2005, 1:37am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

That was a great idea for an ad back in the day. I'd imagine that magazine was quite old. I looked for it on the net, but no luck. Nice avatar!

PW_bullet_train
Former Member

« Reply #141 on: Dec 22nd, 2005, 8:04am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

on Dec 22nd, 2005, 1:37am, toddsyr wrote:       (Click here for original message)
That was a great idea for an ad back in the day. I'd imagine that magazine was quite old. I looked for it on the net, but no luck. Nice avatar!

They just put it out and I jumped upon it within minutes.   Now if only the P&W had a "true" symbol........

ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #142 on: Dec 22nd, 2005, 1:17pm »

I'm sort of frustrated right now - doggone good movie with Burt Lancaster involving a planned robbery pulled off by a couple of old cons - on a Daylight. Tehy used 4449 and teh Daylight-painted consist, and did a WONDERFUL wreck scene at teh end with teh train running across teh border and derailing (props for that). Cannot believe I can't recall the tile or the other star. Was it Goodfellas? In any case - got some good train scenes on it.

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #143 on: Dec 22nd, 2005, 2:33pm »

Clyde,

Kirk Douglas was the other guy and I think it was Tough Guys.  
BTW, I think and I could be copmpletely wrong on this, I've heard a number or years ago that the run across the border was done with an 1 1/2 inch Daylight. I happen to know that there is one in Cal. in inch and a half. Also, where it digs its way into the earth, was done with a shallow pit with tracks going down into it and they  filled the slanted pit with rice crispies, so as to not damage the scale Daylight locomotive.
thats what I heard anyway.  

Take care, safe and happy holidays to all,

Bruce

RDG484
Former Member

« Reply #144 on: Dec 22nd, 2005, 3:32pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

on Dec 22nd, 2005, 1:17pm, ClydeDET wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I'm sort of frustrated right now - doggone good movie with Burt Lancaster involving a planned robbery pulled off by a couple of old cons - on a Daylight. Tehy used 4449 and teh Daylight-painted consist, and did a WONDERFUL wreck scene at teh end with teh train running across teh border and derailing (props for that). Cannot believe I can't recall the tile or the other star. Was it Goodfellas? In any case - got some good train scenes on it.

It was the Disney movie, "Tough Guys."  Kirk Douglas was the other star.  They were put in prison for train robbery way back when, then soon after being released, they decide to go for "one more."

Pennsy
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #145 on: Dec 22nd, 2005, 4:13pm »

Hi All,

Burt Lancaster also made, "The Train". This is a WWII vintage flick taking place in Nazi occupied France. Some nice French ten wheelers and some great acting.

Dyed in the wool PRR fan.
trainwatcher1100

View Profile  

« Reply #146 on: Dec 22nd, 2005, 5:12pm »

on Dec 22nd, 2005, 2:33pm, ErieAtlantic7597 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
...they filled the slanted pit with rice crispies, so as to not damage the scale Daylight locomotive...

Squeal!!  Screech!!  Snap, Crackle, Pop!!

"Cut! That's a wrap."

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #147 on: Dec 22nd, 2005, 7:44pm »

Ya gotta admit, the ending was pretty convinceing, rice crispies and all.

The Train. What a great movie. And all prototype equipment.

Take care, merry Christmas to all,

Bruce

George_Harris
Historian

« Reply #148 on: Dec 22nd, 2005, 9:01pm »

Kinda half way watching White Christmas with my son's family and some friends a couple of nights ago, and they give two scenes of trains going by.  The first is Santa Fe diesel power, the second I did not get a good look at.  This supposedly being traveling from Miami or somewhere south Florida to Vermont.  Funny, they also seemed to be able to ride through from Florida to Vermont without change of  trains and one night on the way.  No FEC, ACL, SAL ?  

Very much standard weight equipment for the inside views.  Steam sound effects for the vermont station scenes, but no engine ever in view.  

Movie was made 1954?

George

toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #149 on: Dec 23rd, 2005, 12:55am »

on Dec 22nd, 2005, 3:32pm, RDG484 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

It was the Disney movie, "Tough Guys."  Kirk Douglas was the other star.  They were put in prison for train robbery way back when, then soon after being released, they decide to go for "one more."

This was a great movie, Rice Krispies and all. The train they wanted to rob upon getting out of prison was the same train that landed them in the pokey in the first place. A second attempt. Lots of great train scenes, a must see for any railfan.

electro soundwave
Historian

« Reply #150 on: Dec 23rd, 2005, 2:53am »

Well, the Gasoline Alley story is getting good. Lil Skinner got busted by the rail cops today. And she wasn't taking pics either.

SCL/L&N Family Lines
The Southern Serves The South
Pennsy
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #151 on: Dec 23rd, 2005, 10:35am »

Hi George,

You got that one right. I have the flick on videotape and still laugh at those scenes. At least you didn't confuse those red warbonnet F-7's with that mythical steamer. Still and all a really good flick and some great musical numbers. Hard to believe most of the stars are gone. A real classic.

Dyed in the wool PRR fan.
ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #152 on: Dec 23rd, 2005, 2:42pm »

Tough Guys it was. Really bugs me when I have an episode of brain cramp like that. There was an article not too long after it came out about the making of the movie, both including the use of 4449 and its train and the special effects. In TRAINS or RAILFAN, I think.  They did not, of course, use 4449 for the actual wreck, but rather a scale engine, plus a "one sided" prop engine for the shots around the derailed, over-turned locomotive.

Thinking of HURRICANE EXPRESS, there was another John Wayne flic featuring a train (besides the many where he gets off one, meets somebody on a train, robs a train etc - good scene at the train station in BIG JAKE, for example) involving cross-country travel during WWII on a very crowded train, with guys and gals winding up in the same bedroom... I'll have to run that one down and check the title.

toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #153 on: Dec 24th, 2005, 1:47am »

on Dec 23rd, 2005, 2:53am, electro_soundwave wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Well, the Gasoline Alley story is getting good. Lil Skinner got busted by the rail cops today. And she wasn't taking pics either.

Sure, rub it in! LOL. What's the story line?

toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #154 on: Dec 24th, 2005, 1:56am »

ClydeDet, even with the special effects in the movie, you'ld swear it was real. A great movie for steam trains. As for the John Wayne flick, let me know the name of it if you remember it please. It sounds familiar. Pennsy, I've seen The Train. European equipment isn't as thrilling to me, but it's still cool. Great movie all around. Todd.

toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #155 on: Jan 2nd, 2006, 3:30am »

I saw an episode of All In The Family the other day entitled "Mike, the Pacifist". Mike and Gloria went up to the Bronx to look at a house. Archie went with them. It's the episode where Mike hits somebody for the first time in his life. Anyhow, the show starts out with them taking the subway ride back from the Bronx. The whole episode is filmed in an older looking subway car. Only the interior is shown, it's painted in that classic light green paint you saw in so many gov't buildings interiors in the 70's. Whether it's just some prop essential or not, I don't know, but the subway doors at the ends of the car were closed manually by entering passengers from other cars. Near one end of the interior, I saw those changable signs for destinations, the mechanical kind. There were three of them, stacked vertically. They listed, from top to bottom, Dyre Ave, GR Central, and South Ferry. The train had a few problems along the way also. Great episode for all you transit fans out there, Todd.

ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #156 on: Jan 2nd, 2006, 5:49pm »

Trust me - if I can recall the JW flic, I'll post the title. I even ran a John Wayne filmography and cant' find it - making me wonder if it was really teh Duke or somebody else. But I feel really sure it was Wayne.

Another oldie but goodie (And available, cheap, on DVD) is the Charlie Chaplin silent THE GENERAL. Bunch of great railroad shots, and a lot of true howlers (Yankee sharpshooters blazing way with Trapdoor Springfields, not invented until after the War of Northern Aggression was over, for example). Oh well.l

HwyHaulier
Historian

« Reply #157 on: Jan 3rd, 2006, 10:44am »

on Jan 2nd, 2006, 5:49pm, ClydeDET wrote:       (Click here for original message)
...not invented until after the War of Northern Aggression..... l

Clyde -

Thanks, y'all! It was not a civil war!  

George H. -  

Yours 12-22: That classic, "Holiday Inn" (?). Being kind, technical direction was, at the least, confused...... Think of the baffled public, later asking for tickets on the The Boston Chief! <G>

....................Vern.............Bel Air, MD........

Ticket Agent serving...Pacific Stage Lines...Washington State System...Mt. Hood Stages...Pickwick Stages...Transcontinental & Western Air Lines.... Admitted Gold Bug..... Observant Orthodox Mossback..... H.M.R.A.O. Curmudgeons......
toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #158 on: Jan 4th, 2006, 5:11pm »

ClydeDet, I think you meant Buster Keaton, not Charlie Chaplin. The link below provides this cast listing and some video clip links as well.  

http://tinyurl.com/cvjt8

Thanks for mentioning the General though.

"Released in 1927
Directors: Clyde Bruckman, Buster Keaton
Writers: Al Boasberg (adaptation), Clyde Bruckman  
Cast: Marion Mack (Annabelle Lee), Glen Cavender (Union Capt. Anderson (chief spy)), Frederick Vroom (Confederate general), Joe Keaton (Union general), Mike Donlin (Union general), Tom Nawn (Union general), Buster Keaton (Johnnie Gray)"

For folks with high speed internet connection, or ALOT of time on their hands, you can download the entire movie, less the beginning, from:

http://www.archive.org/details/TheGeneral

Yes, it's free and legal. Todd.

toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #159 on: Jan 4th, 2006, 5:17pm »

Vern. The Boston Chief? That's too funny. This movie recently came on I think. I started watching it and it went into a musical scene. People who like musicals are fine with me, but I just can't sit through them. With inaccuracies like you state, I guess I didn't miss all that much, though the equipment would be nice to see.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  16 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »