Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Sep 25th, 2017, 11:31pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Trains, TV, Movies, & Other Media
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   The Mainline
   The Concourse
(Moderator: Forum Admin)
   Trains, TV, Movies, & Other Media
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13  ...  16 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Trains, TV, Movies, & Other Media  (Read 5924 times)
toddsyr

View Profile  

Re: Trains, TV, Movies, & Other Media

« Reply #100 on: Oct 18th, 2005, 4:47pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Great work NS3360! Glad that mystery is solved. I see from your map the rails go along a causeway also, pretty cool.

toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #101 on: Oct 18th, 2005, 6:00pm »

http://petticoat.topcities.com/hooterville_cannonball.htm

Interesting Facts on Petticoat Junction

(This is from a fact sheet written during the second season)

* The real train is in Sonora, California
   * It is not a narrow gauge - it is full-width
   * The wood in the tender is window dressing - It [the train] is converted to oil
   * It was made in 1901 and has been seen in countless pictures
   * It cost $21,000.00 new
   * An exact replica on the stage at General Studios cost $85,000.00
   * It was made by Fox Studios
   * It belongs now to a motel in Portland, Oregon
   * Filmways Studios rents the engine. They rent it from the motel owner
   * The baggage car & combination passenger car is a duplicate of the one in Sonora and belongs to filmways
   * An overhead crane on the set will lift the sides and store them
   * It comes apart in many pieces and can be taken down and put together in minutes
   * Only Smiley Burnette and Rufe Davis have seen the real train
   * Neither have ever driven it
   * Only the doubles go on location
   * A transparent screen with a projector is used to show the background moving behind the mock-up engine. The scenery moves, not the train. To make it appear that the train has passed a tree, a black screen is moved across in front of a light
   * An electric smoke-maker is held in front of a wind machine to simulate the engine smoke
   * The whistle cord does not blow a whistle
   * The train never moves an inch. It has no axles
   * All sets are on two stages. The train, Drucker's Store, a paper hill that goes to the Shady Rest Hotel, and the Hooterville Depot are on one. The other has the Hotel front porch, the Lobby, the Dining Room, the Kitchen, the Bedrooms and the little cafe in Hooterville
   * The Beverly Hillbillies are next door with a similar set-up
   * It is supposed to take two and a half days to shoot as episode, 26 minutes. So far, t'aint so
   * Company starts shooting at eight, shoots until six, quite often until nine
   * Make-up call is thirty minutes before stage call, if the cast is light. If cast is heavy, make-up call can be earlier
   * There are seven in the regular cast
   * Drucker, Herby and Nutty Norman are near-regulars
   * The cast and crew are fond of each other, but after a long run of several weeks, everyone gets a "I'll bite you" attitude. It is, however, only skin deep. It is not carried too far
   * It is reported that the show is sold for 1965
   * The rating charts have fluctuated up and down, as low as tenth at times and in the top five other times
   * It's a business that says -- you stay high, you stay long...otherwise?

toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #102 on: Oct 21st, 2005, 5:16am »

on Oct 17th, 2005, 5:07pm, Henry wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Sullivan's Travels (1941) is on TCM Wednesday at 6:00 PM EDT.

"A filmmaker masquerades as a hobo to get in touch with the little people. Joel McCrea, Veronica Lake, William Demarest."

Good steam era train scenes abound throughout the movie.

Henry

I did get to watch this, thanks again for the heads up. It's a very entertaining film with much railroad action. My favorite sceen was when the older hobo's in the hog car instantly recognized the stars as " newbies ". They left in disgust, climbing along the outside of the slatted wood stock car, while the train was in motion. You only see their hands moving from inside the railcar, but you get the idea.

toddsyr

View Profile  

Festival_Express_1970_1740x1305.jpg - 188774 Bytes
« Reply #103 on: Oct 26th, 2005, 4:06pm »

Last night on Showtime was a pretty good movie/documentary. It was titled " Festival Express ". This 1970 film was about a train traveling rock festival that went across Canada, stopping at various points along the way to perform in different towns and cities. The CN train even had a full service dining car. If you like bands such as The Greatful Dead, Buddy Guy, Janis Joplin, Sha Na Na, The Band etc., this movie is a must see. Especially wth the rail footage.

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (188774 bytes, 1740x1305 pixels)

Click Here to View Image Festival_Express_1970_1740x1305.jpg - 188774 Bytes

« Last Edit: Oct 26th, 2005, 4:06pm by toddsyr » Logged

toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #104 on: Oct 30th, 2005, 2:10am »

Just spotted this on yahoo tv listings, Discovery Science Channel:

Industrial Wonders
SCIENCE Oct 30 01:00am  
Series/Documentary, 60 Mins.

"Transcontinental Railway"
The Transcontinental Railway connects the eastern United States with the promise of the West.

Original Airdate: August 18, 2004.
Future Airings:

* Industrial Wonders - Transcontinental Railway, SCIENCE Oct 30 12:00pm *

For those of us who missed it, catch it today at noon!

HwyHaulier
Historian

« Reply #105 on: Oct 30th, 2005, 10:28am »

on Oct 17th, 2005, 4:46pm, Henry wrote:       (Click here for original message)
In the 1984 baseball movie The Natural ...There is also a great interior station scene of a bustling Buffalo Central Terminal concourse before the terminal's owners and looters had the opportunity to loot and trash it. Most of the movie was shot in Buffalo, including most of the ballpark scenes at the old War Memorial Stadium...  

Henry -

Late spotting this thread. Also watched The Natural. Truly delightful to see Central Terminal doing what is was built to do, take care of travelers! BTW, there's a BUF site up that includes detail of action here in 1944. Reminds us that NYC didn't route all its Florida traffic thru Grand Central, New York.  Site lists Florida equipment moving via Cincinnati.....  

Other items from the movie.....
Hotel scene shot at the Statler Hilton? Views set, at another locale, in one of the offices: This the Ellicott Bldg., on Main Street, which also housed many rail reps? IMDB site doesn't help, tho it notes the Mayor had a brief appearance at the Stadium....

.....................Vern................Bel Air, MD...............

Ticket Agent serving...Pacific Stage Lines...Washington State System...Mt. Hood Stages...Pickwick Stages...Transcontinental & Western Air Lines.... Admitted Gold Bug..... Observant Orthodox Mossback..... H.M.R.A.O. Curmudgeons......
electro soundwave
Historian

« Reply #106 on: Nov 2nd, 2005, 11:33pm »

Gremlin II: The New Batch. The evil Gremlins put Gizmo on a model track and run hom over constantly with a steamer

SCL/L&N Family Lines
The Southern Serves The South
toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #107 on: Nov 3rd, 2005, 4:18am »

on Nov 2nd, 2005, 11:33pm, electro_soundwave wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Gremlin II: The New Batch. The evil Gremlins put Gizmo on a model track and run hom over constantly with a steamer

I've seen the first Gremlins movie, but not the sequel you speak of. I'll keep an eye out for it and thanks for posting on it.  

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #108 on: Nov 3rd, 2005, 10:05am »

If I'm repeating another post, please forgive me. But I just saw on TV, this week, in fact, an add for vacationing in Maryland. And of course, there is about a two second shot of the #734 on a curve.  
   A number of years ago, there was also a shot of #611 crossing a bridge in an add for vacationing in Virginia. That was before it was installed in a rest home !!!!

Take care,

Bruce

toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #109 on: Nov 3rd, 2005, 3:01pm »

I saw ther Maryland commercial also yesterday. It was a quick shot as you mentioned, but still pretty cool. WMSR instantly popped into mind. On a side note, my brother tells me network TV channels have beenfeaturing locomotive ads. These I haven't seen. Anyone know what builder(s) are producing these ads?

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #110 on: Nov 3rd, 2005, 4:39pm »

Todd,

I must really be slipping. I forgot about an add that GE is doing on TV. Its quite an exotic commercial about their diesel locomotives, but they start out showing the transcontinental celebration with the steamers. Then a lot of smoke emits from some where ( I know about smoke), the people are covered with soot and enter the new Genral Electric Diesel. And naturaly a statement about how eco friendly their engines are.  Actually, a pretty neat add.

Take care,

Bruce

RDG484
Former Member

« Reply #111 on: Nov 3rd, 2005, 6:01pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

Yes, I've seen it.

toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #112 on: Nov 4th, 2005, 12:49am »

on Nov 3rd, 2005, 4:39pm, ErieAtlantic7597 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
  Todd,

I must really be slipping. I forgot about an add that GE is doing on TV. Its quite an exotic commercial about their diesel locomotives, but they start out showing the transcontinental celebration with the steamers. Then a lot of smoke emits from some where ( I know about smoke), the people are covered with soot and enter the new Genral Electric Diesel. And naturaly a statement about how eco friendly their engines are.  Actually, a pretty neat add.

Take care,

Bruce

Thanks for the information Bruce. Sounds like all G.E. is missing is a Phoebe Snow for the ads! My brother says they air on network TV, so I'll probably never see them. For things other than Discovery Channel, History Channel, etc, my comedy shows usually come from TV Land. Yes, I know you know about smoke. Anyone who can build a live steam engine has my respect! Anyone who builds one that stays together has my utmost respect! Have a good one, Todd.

HwyHaulier
Historian

« Reply #113 on: Nov 4th, 2005, 8:48am »

Hmmm.... Looking thru the thread, no mention of the TV spot by the NS. Shows a stretch of railroad, side by side a highway...

The NS schedule appears to pick up trailers while the highway traffic and the train keep moving! I'll suspect that's a bit of artistic license, and NS presently does not offer such a handy service! <G>

..................Vern..................Bel Air, MD..............

Ticket Agent serving...Pacific Stage Lines...Washington State System...Mt. Hood Stages...Pickwick Stages...Transcontinental & Western Air Lines.... Admitted Gold Bug..... Observant Orthodox Mossback..... H.M.R.A.O. Curmudgeons......
Pennsy
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #114 on: Nov 4th, 2005, 10:28am »

Hi All,

And how many of you have noticed that the SPONSOR for Thomas and his Friends is none other than AMTRAK !

Dyed in the wool PRR fan.
toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #115 on: Nov 7th, 2005, 3:12am »

on Nov 4th, 2005, 8:48am, HwyHaulier wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Hmmm.... Looking thru the thread, no mention of the TV spot by the NS. Shows a stretch of railroad, side by side a highway...

The NS schedule appears to pick up trailers while the highway traffic and the train keep moving! I'll suspect that's a bit of artistic license, and NS presently does not offer such a handy service! <G>

..................Vern..................Bel Air, MD..............

Haven't seen that Vern. Another that must be showing on network TV. Thanks for posting it.

toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #116 on: Nov 7th, 2005, 3:21am »

on Nov 4th, 2005, 10:28am, Pennsy wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Hi All,

And how many of you have noticed that the SPONSOR for Thomas and his Friends is none other than AMTRAK !

Thanks for that Pennsy. I didn't know that. I always preferred Shining Time Station to watch with kids.

toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #117 on: Nov 15th, 2005, 7:06pm »

New York Underground. This just came on the Discovery Times channel. It's about the NYC subway system. It comes on again November 16, 2005 at 3:00 a.m. and again at 11:00 a.m.

electro soundwave
Historian

« Reply #118 on: Nov 16th, 2005, 12:40am »

One of my favorite books "Cryptonomicon" by Neal Stephenson takes place during WWII (well about 1/2 of it does) and the charcters spend a good deal of time on the rail systems both American and British.

SCL/L&N Family Lines
The Southern Serves The South
toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #119 on: Nov 16th, 2005, 4:13pm »

I read some reviews of Cryptonomicon on Amazon.com. It sounds very interesting. A must read for the railfan/sci-fi fan. Thanks for the heads up electro_soundwave!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13  ...  16 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »