Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. May 24th, 2017, 2:26am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Trains, TV, Movies, & Other Media
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   The Mainline
   The Concourse
(Moderator: Forum Admin)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  ...  16 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Trains, TV, Movies, & Other Media  (Read 5827 times)
toddsyr

View Profile  

« on: Sep 3rd, 2005, 4:22am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I've seen and participated in many threads on Railfan Net that bring up the topic of seeing trains in movies, cartoons, and TV shows. There seems to be so much interest in this  that the original thread can get a bit off topic. I'm guilty of it as well. I thought I might start a thread on this just to have fun and keep the other threads from getting too far off topic. Right now I'm watching Happy Days. It's the episode where Richie Cunningham thinks he may have mono from kissing Fonzies girlfriend. In this episode, I saw Ralph Malph wearing an engineer's hat. Nothing was said about it, he was just wearing it in one scene. The best train/media discussion I've had lately was about a Popeye cartoon from the 1930's entitled "The Onion Pacific".

RARITAN_CLOCKER
Former Member
Re: Trains, TV, Movies, & Other Media

« Reply #1 on: Sep 3rd, 2005, 10:10am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

Perhaps the BEST railroad movie of all was Burt Lancaster's blockbuster, "THE TRAIN" (1964). Set (and filmed) entirely on location in France, this film is a MUST for ANY railfan, particulary steam buffs. The film deals with the Nazis stealing a trainload of French paintings, attempting to take them back to Germany. Fremch railway official "Labiche" (Lancaster) and his band of loyal railwaymen, risk thier lives (literally) to stop the train from reaching Germany. MUCH footage shot on the footplates of World War One-vintage SNCF steamers, in and around yards, towers, and engine sheds. Spectacular bombing and wreck scenes (ALL LIVE ACTION....NO MINIATURE MODELS) really make this movie move! And, yep, Lancaster learned to drive a locomotive for this film!! Rent it (or, better still, buy it!!) and you will NOT be disappointed!!

« Last Edit: Sep 3rd, 2005, 10:11am by RARITAN_CLOCKER » Logged
toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #2 on: Sep 3rd, 2005, 1:36pm »

I've seen that movie a few years back. Although European trains never really thrilled me, it DID have trains in it, so I still enjoyed it. Probably due to all the footage depicting the physical plant also helped make it more enjoyable to me. A crossover track, yard, etc. are the same, whether in the U.S. or Europe.

alcoc420
Historian

« Reply #3 on: Sep 4th, 2005, 7:40pm »

Here are my favorite train movies.....

1. Von Ryans Express
2. Runaway Train
3. Atomic Train

Member of the BLACK DIAMOND SOCIETY OF MODEL ENGINEERS

toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #4 on: Sep 4th, 2005, 11:44pm »

Nice choices. I liked Silver Streak also.

RARITAN_CLOCKER
Former Member

« Reply #5 on: Sep 4th, 2005, 11:45pm »

"DANGER LIGHTS"!!

toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #6 on: Sep 4th, 2005, 11:52pm »

Was that a movie? If so, I'm unfamiliar with it.

RARITAN_CLOCKER
Former Member

« Reply #7 on: Sep 5th, 2005, 12:21am »

Yep!! Way back in 1930, this film was dubbed "THE GREATEST RAILROAD TALKING THRILLER"  Starring John Armstrong, this film is a MUST for any steam buff! To this day, it is still hailed as one of the greatest railroad films ever made!

toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #8 on: Sep 5th, 2005, 12:43am »

Cool, thanks for the input. I'll have to be on the lookout for that movie, sounds very good.

NS3360
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

DUEL3-2.jpg - 34201 Bytes
« Reply #9 on: Sep 5th, 2005, 7:02am »

A movie which I mentioned many times on this forum...is Speilberg's first film, 'DUEL' from 1971 about a truck driver with a Peterbilt tanker that chases motorists in the California desert. Lots of real Southern Pacific action! There's a scene at a railroad crossing with a long SP freight with mid-train helper, interesting freight cars like the CB&Q pre-BN merger green boxcars. Another train has all SD9s, and yet another has an awesome 9engine lashup including a U boat, two SD9s, two SD40s...These trains are doing a job, not like other movies with 'fake' trains like Runaway Train.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/concourse/DUEL3-2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Moderates: Traction, ALCO, GVT Short Lines, Short Lines

NS3360
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

DUEL2.jpg - 57695 Bytes
« Reply #10 on: Sep 5th, 2005, 7:04am »

Railroad crossing scene from' DUEL'

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/concourse/DUEL2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

NS3360
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

DUEL1.jpg - 45381 Bytes
« Reply #11 on: Sep 5th, 2005, 8:00am »

In another scene, Dennis Weaver's charactor falls asleep by the track...only to be awakened by a passing SP freight with four SD9s...

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/concourse/DUEL1.jpg
Click Image to Resize

hudsonelectric
Historian

« Reply #12 on: Sep 5th, 2005, 8:23am »

'Emperor of the North' with Ernest Borgnine and Lee Marvin.  

toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #13 on: Sep 5th, 2005, 1:12pm »

on Sep 5th, 2005, 7:02am, NS3360 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
A movie which I mentioned many times on this forum...is Speilberg's first film, 'DUEL' from 1971 about a truck driver with a Peterbilt tanker that chases motorists in the California desert. Lots of real Southern Pacific action! There's a scene at a railroad crossing with a long SP freight with mid-train helper, interesting freight cars like the CB&Q pre-BN merger green boxcars. Another train has all SD9s, and yet another has an awesome 9engine lashup including a U boat, two SD9s, two SD40s...These trains are doing a job, not like other movies with 'fake' trains like Runaway Train.

"Duel" was an awesome flick for watching real trains in action. I just saw that movie last month. One could call it "Duel Along the SP" as there are so many scenes with SP trains in them. A definite must see.

toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #14 on: Sep 5th, 2005, 1:17pm »

on Sep 5th, 2005, 8:23am, hudsonelectric wrote:       (Click here for original message)

The title rings a bell, though not sure if I've seen it or not. Got any details to refresh the brain?

RDG484
Former Member

« Reply #15 on: Sep 5th, 2005, 4:43pm »

There was a movie starring Robert Urich (R.I.P.) that took place on BC RAIL that featured one of their new GE diesels.  When the engineer accidently spilled coffee on the engine's master computer, the unit went haywire and the train went out of control.  I forget the name of the movie.

There was another movie I remember as a kid that was called "Runaway."  This took place on the D&RGW.  The Rio Grande Ski Train lost its brakes on a steep hill, when they put the "New" engine on the road, which was nothing more than a silver Rio Grande GP-40 (like the unit pulling the train) which rescued the train and brought it to a stop right at the bumping block.

EEOTD
Enthusiast

« Reply #16 on: Sep 5th, 2005, 5:27pm »

I saw Burt Lancaster,years ago on the Mike Douglas Show.He was describing the filming of the wreck on the movie The Train.He said they had one more cammera than they had cammeramen.At the last momment they decided to dig a hole and run it remotely.That was the money shot.The locomotive landed on its side,on top of the cammera.With one of the still spinning drivers just a few feet from the lens.

toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #17 on: Sep 7th, 2005, 12:22am »

RDG 484, if you happen to remember the name of the Robert Ulrich film, please post it. Typical Hollywood B.S. ( spilt coffee, c'mon! ) but enjoyable just the same. "Runaway" sounds very good also, and I haven't seen that either. EEOTD, thanks for jumping in also. Cool info on " The Train ". I believe I've heard about the extra camera story before, but it's a great detail to add to the thread. Alot of good posts here so far, some of the movies I've seen, others to look forward to.

KingCoal
Historian

« Reply #18 on: Sep 9th, 2005, 7:15am »

on Sep 5th, 2005, 8:23am, hudsonelectric wrote:       (Click here for original message)

"Amen, Brother"  
Jim

RETIRED
"A busy Mainline and a trout stream beside it"
paradise !
oldrailfan
Enthusiast

« Reply #19 on: Sep 9th, 2005, 8:27am »

on Sep 5th, 2005, 1:17pm, toddsyr wrote:       (Click here for original message)

The title rings a bell, though not sure if I've seen it or not. Got any details to refresh the brain?

The Emperor of the North starred Lee Marvin, David (I think) Carridine,  and Ernest Borgnine. Marvin and Carridine portray hoboes trying to jump a ride an a train conducted by Borgnine.  
( I know, the plot is much more involved than that - trying to simplify)

de KC6YJN
JOhn
Oldrailfan

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  ...  16 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »