Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jun 26th, 2017, 5:13am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Your Most Unusual Car
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   The Mainline
   The Concourse
(Moderator: Forum Admin)
   Your Most Unusual Car
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Your Most Unusual Car  (Read 4944 times)
rldilley
TRAINing
Re: Your Most Unusual Car
  a529ef88.jpg - 24708 Bytes
« Reply #60 on: Jun 10th, 2007, 12:47am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Try this one for size.  An Air Force Radar Bomb Scoring train that belonged to the 1st Combat Evaluation Group out of Barksdale AFB Louisiana

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/concourse/a529ef88.jpg
Click Image to Resize

rldilley
TRAINing
  RBSesprees1.jpg - 126286 Bytes
« Reply #61 on: Jun 10th, 2007, 12:49am »

Another shot of the RBS Express

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/concourse/RBSesprees1.jpg
Click Image to Resize

rldilley
TRAINing
  rbsexpressmps-9.jpg - 133369 Bytes
« Reply #62 on: Jun 10th, 2007, 12:52am »

My final photo for now

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/concourse/rbsexpressmps-9.jpg
Click Image to Resize

CHESSIEMIKE
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #63 on: Jun 10th, 2007, 10:01pm »

Wow, just how much railroad stuff did the AIR FORCE have? Welcome to the Forums rldilley.
CHESSIEMIKE

Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
anthonyd_SRR
Former Member

« Reply #64 on: Jun 11th, 2007, 3:07pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

The army has some of the most unusual looking trains  

Anthony

dustymars
TRAINing
  B52_Cabnets.jpg - 87496 Bytes
« Reply #65 on: Sep 9th, 2010, 2:56pm »

on Apr 14th, 2005, 5:39pm, CHESSIEMIKE wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Hey dustymars, any chance of a pic or drawing of the inside of one of them thar simulators?  Does the Air Force have any info they would be willing to share?
CHESSIEMIKE

Long time no post; but I found some images of the inside of the B-52 mobile simulator for you.

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (87496 bytes, 1514x500 pixels)

Click Here to View Image B52_Cabnets.jpg - 87496 Bytes

ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #66 on: Sep 9th, 2010, 4:00pm »

on Sep 9th, 2010, 2:56pm, dustymars wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Long time no post; but I found some images of the inside of the B-52 mobile simulator for you.

Went over to Barksdale a few years ago to visit the 8th AF Museum. While leaving, saw a B-52 simulator train parked on a siding. Had the look of something actually stilll in use.

Deech
Railfan
  063_778x400.jpg - 74863 Bytes
« Reply #67 on: Sep 9th, 2010, 6:06pm »

This is the first time i seen this type of car, it is unusual to me so does anyone know what it is and what it was/is used for? Thanks!

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/concourse/063_778x400.jpg
Click Image to Resize

CHESSIEMIKE
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #68 on: Sep 10th, 2010, 6:36am »

Anything real heavy and short. Nice catch, where was it?
CHESSIEMIKE

Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
CHESSIEMIKE
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #69 on: Sep 10th, 2010, 6:38am »

on Sep 9th, 2010, 2:56pm, dustymars wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Some dated looking gear in there. Thanks for the shot.
CHESSIEMIKE

dustymars
TRAINing

« Reply #70 on: Sep 10th, 2010, 7:24am »

on Sep 10th, 2010, 6:38am, CHESSIEMIKE wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Some dated looking gear in there. Thanks for the shot.
CHESSIEMIKE

Analog computers with many tubes.  We called hem "room heaters."    It has been so many years ago I have nearly forgotten how they worked.   Sometimes I Google search for "mobile simulators" on the chance of contacting old friends who were also assigned to them, but to no avail. We were not veyr well known even among AF simulator people; some neber had heard of us mobile sim techs!  

I will keep serching for more photos but they are rare items for sure since we were not permitted to take many pictures of hen in those days.

photoman475
Historian

« Reply #71 on: Sep 10th, 2010, 7:56am »

Since unusual model cars have been mentioned here, I have one of the old AHM HO gauge helium cars from the late 1960s.

I have seen a Schnable car-the 32 axle came through Fargo about 10-12 years ago moving a large pressure vessel of some sort.  It was unloaded at the Port of Duluth and moved west from there.  I think it went to a refinery in westen Canada.

Alan

ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #72 on: Sep 10th, 2010, 2:52pm »

on Sep 9th, 2010, 6:06pm, Deech wrote:       (Click here for original message)
This is the first time i seen this type of car, it is unusual to me so does anyone know what it is and what it was/is used for? Thanks!

Well, DODX reporting mark, so it belongs to uncle. NOT for hauling tanks, though because the load deck seems to be raised with a lower level equipment deck at the end, and you load tanks by driving them on and off instead of requiring a crane.

delishfixish
TRAINing
View Profile  

4563664917_a8238ff6b2_b.jpg - 98587 Bytes
« Reply #73 on: Jan 18th, 2011, 12:27am »

Here's the most unusual car I have seen. Maybe these are normal.. I don't know.

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (98587 bytes, 1024x768 pixels)

Click Here to View Image 4563664917_a8238ff6b2_b.jpg - 98587 Bytes

ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #74 on: Jan 18th, 2011, 4:14pm »

Only one I've seen. Santa Fe used to have some steam blowers, used as much for sand as snow, i think (most of them made from steam loco tenders orphaned by the scarpping of the locomotive).

Lfire83
Historian

« Reply #75 on: Jan 18th, 2011, 4:19pm »

on Jan 18th, 2011, 12:27am, delishfixish wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Here's the most unusual car I have seen. Maybe these are normal.. I don't know.

That is a jet snowblower, used to clear ice and compacted snow from around switch points and turnouts. It's basically a jet turbine that can tilt down and to each side, using the force of the exhaust to blow the snow. They are primarily used in yards, where it is more efficient than having a section gang spend hours sweeping the snow out.

FRMRRC Director at Large
CGMRRC Member
krisfr
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #76 on: Dec 29th, 2013, 12:54pm »

on Jan 19th, 2003, 7:49pm, CHESSIEMIKE wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Well, I don't know for sure if this is the "Most Unusual Car" that I have a shot of, but it was the one that came to my mind first.   I was told that this was a B-52 KC-135 Simulator that the USAF used.  Would love to see the inside of it.
CHESSIEMIKE

I worked on the same type, it was called the DAFX-8. The Panels with the SAC emblem on it was a pair that moved out. Then you could get into the Cockpit, Instructor Pilots and Operators station. I operated and as well as maintained the Analog computers that ran the systems. I was stationed at Bunker Hill Air Force Base, where we had a ground based one. We would go to KI Sawyer, Kinchole and Wursmut AFBases to train for a month and then move on to the next base. Years for me 1963 to 1964. I Have another picture of the DAFX-8, If I can find it I will post it here. Thanks

Charlie Ricker
Historian

« Reply #77 on: Dec 29th, 2013, 3:28pm »

on Dec 29th, 2013, 12:54pm, krisfr wrote:       (Click here for original message)

I worked on the same type, it was called the DAFX-8. The Panels with the SAC emblem on it was a pair that moved out. Then you could get into the Cockpit, Instructor Pilots and Operators station. I operated and as well as maintained the Analog computers that ran the systems. I was stationed at Bunker Hill Air Force Base, where we had a ground based one. We would go to KI Sawyer, Kinchole and Wursmut AFBases to train for a month and then move on to the next base. Years for me 1963 to 1964. I Have another picture of the DAFX-8, If I can find it I will post it here. Thanks

Welcome to the boards!!

Charlie

~Charlie Ricker

CHESSIEMIKE
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #78 on: Dec 29th, 2013, 7:47pm »

on Dec 29th, 2013, 12:54pm, krisfr wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I Have another picture of the DAFX-8, If I can find it I will post it here. Thanks
First, let me thank you for your service! Second, another Welcome to The Forums. And last, I look forward to seeing future posts with a photo from time to time (hint, hint)  

CHESSIEMIKE

YeOldeEnjine
Historian
  huge_boxcar.jpg - 191555 Bytes
« Reply #79 on: Dec 31st, 2013, 9:06am »

PRR Class X-30,  #59861

Inside Length: 70'6" Inside Height: 10'0"

There was exactly one of these. It was used specifically to transport fire engines from American LaFrance in Elmira NY.  

Full width doors on the 'A' end allowed even the longest ladder trucks of the day to be carried inside

Photographer Unknown

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/concourse/huge_boxcar.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »